PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I don't support Richmond

liz
15th March 2003, 05:01 PM
Pretty average performance by our boys this afternoon, I thought. But given we still managed to win by 7 or 8 goals despite squandering many opportunities (maybe not as many as Richmond messed up in the first quarter) I really can't see where those people who are predicting Richmond could challenge for the top 4 are coming from.

From our perspective, BBBH was good - a lazy 8 for those who haven't heard or read. Also quite impressed by Davis and Stevens did some nice things. Amongst the youngsters, Schneider definitely showed a bit, though he needs someone to take him aside and talk to him about his composure up forward - he could have had two or three goals himself had he not been in such a hurry. Powell didn't spend much time on the ground, and size is still an issue, but again he showed he has something.

Crouch, Willo, Barry and Goodes were solid, Fozzie very quiet, and Ball looked very rusty but good to see him out there at least. Still waiting for Kennelly and O'Keefe to awaken from their pre-season slumber. Neither really looked in the mood to get involved for much of the game, though Tiger livened up a bit in the final quarter. Bolton (J) and Maxie both had shockers - not sure if they managed to pass the ball to a team mate once between them throughout the whole game.

bricon
15th March 2003, 05:07 PM
<b>lizz:</b> Were there any obvious injuries suffered by any of the players?

floppinab
15th March 2003, 05:29 PM
Both Goodes and Hall went off with what will hopefully be just little niggles. Other than that I didn't see anything else in particular.

Those that have been calling for Jude's and Frostie's head have would have found plenty of ammo out there today.
That said I thought Jude came back with some better efforts in the 3rd quarter, which in a way just makes it more frustrating to see what he's capable of.

Destructive
15th March 2003, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know if Michael O'Loughlin's ears suffered any damage after today?

Mike_B
15th March 2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by bricon
<b>lizz:</b> Were there any obvious injuries suffered by any of the players?

Fossie came off as a precaution with something that looked calf-related, but I think it was very minor and they were just making sure he didn't make it worse in preparation for Rd 1.

As for performances, I liked Davis' work around the ground today - for me he could be very useful on a HF flank where he can play mostly in attack, but still drift back at times to create something from across HB - he showed today he definitely has the ability. Schneider impressed me alot - he was excellent today reading the fall of the ball at the base of packs and crumbing, something that definitely hasn't been our strong point in recent years.

As for the poor(er) performances, I'm not worried about a guy like Maxfield having an average game in the pre-season - we all know what he is capable of doing. To me, it would be more worrying if it was a younger player who had been touted as a potential star playing poorly as it might indicate him not being up to the required standard yet. I'm sure Stuey will be back to his best come Rd 1.

Diego
16th March 2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Destructive
Does anyone know if Michael O'Loughlin's ears suffered any damage after today?

:D :D

oooh the look he gave you...if only looks could kill you would have been a dead man by now!

penga
16th March 2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Destructive
Does anyone know if Michael O'Loughlin's ears suffered any damage after today? Please explain?

jude_boltons_babe
16th March 2003, 02:50 AM
i was at the game jude bolton had a good game ok and so did adam so get your facts right barry hall played excellent

desredandwhite
16th March 2003, 02:53 AM
It's nothing to do with facts Melanie, it's all down to opinion. I was at the game too (though obviously with a view about 2 metres behind you), and I thought Jude had a shocker. I was pleased to see his efforts in chasing and smothering, but he almost always let himself down by coughing it straight up. I think he can improve, but he has work to do. Same with Benny Mathews.

jude_boltons_babe
16th March 2003, 03:01 AM
ive got a question what did you think of adam goodes because i think he had a good game

desredandwhite
16th March 2003, 03:14 AM
Adam Goodes was probably our best in the first quarter, but then went missing a bit from there. Still that's nothing new, that's how Goodsey plays the game. If he can get some consistency into his playing, he'll win a brownlow - he's THAT talented.

JF_Bay22_SCG
16th March 2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Diego
:D :D

oooh the look he gave you...if only looks could kill you would have been a dead man by now!

Micky O (who to those not at the game was sitting right in front of our mob to the right of the players' bench with a coach's clipboard) glanced at him as if he was going to sock him one, as Destructive continued to basically scream his lolly legs routine within 50 centimetres of him.

I lost it totally when Destructive was in full cry, with saliva flying everywhere. And spend much of the third quarter in tears of laughter thinking over the memorious occasion.

Still Destructive was at his best today, mozzing at least 4 of Richo's shots on goal. A truly champion effort, even if snobby Michael Olaughlin didn't appreciate it. Respect for having travelled up from Goulburn just for a trial Danny!

It was truly a cult afternoon with people who make watching the footy fun (even though my Canadian flatmates were somewhat confused by procedings, and shocked at my singing, chant leader and all-round banter with the RWO crew.) For 4 quarters we spent laughing at Matthew Richardson's 6 missed shots at goal, as he whinged and complained to the umpires and other teammates that it was all their fault. Stafford was equally pathetic. Lizz is right, Richmond were pish. We weren't any better until at least the last quarter where we actually put together some half decent footy.

For 3 quarters we were brought to cynical laughter again and again as cult hero Jude Bolton (who looks to have beefed up incredibly in the off-season) managed to do several very courageous things only to send passes 5 metres off target or dribbling along the ground to arrive on the half volley to teammates under pressure. The fact he spent most of the game running to the boundary line to me was indicative of how the Swas see his imput into the team. At least I hope it is. He is nothing but a hack. Good vigour, but appalling skills. That have NEVER improved in all the years he has been in Sydney.

Seriously, the people of New South Wales will soon be having to vote for a new leader. Forget the Libs and Bobbie "I look like ET" Carr". We must start a new party-the Jude Bolton party!

NO, don't stop there, let's make Jude Bolton president of the United States of America!!!!!! Imagine the benefits of having Jude Bolton authorise a miltary assault on Iraq- it mean he could get all steamed up and send off heaps of missiles, but they would either end up hundreds of miles off-target. Or more than likely would just go dribbling along the ground!

Mark Powell, with a mullet so bad it can only be likened to a Tina Turner wig, impressed with a few things he did, as did cocky young Schnyder. I reckon those who criticised Nick Davis will be made to eat their words. Our club lives and dies on whether we can produce Sydney-based players good enough to reach AFL standard. Nick Davis is one of our own, so we should get behind him as he played for the club he barracked for as a wee sprog. Good you good thing Nick!

Another highlight of the match was when BBBBB deliberately went into a melee in the last quarter to pull McVeigh (I think) away from his yellow and black sparring partner after he got reported for charging.The crowd roared at the high sense of irony as the new Sensitive New Age Barry made great efforts to lead his young charge away from further trouble. The conflict handling development course must have worked a treat in the off-season Baz!

To me we still badly lack a decent full-back, ruckman and CHF. Until we think about manning those positions properly, I can't say I'll be looking at this season with any sort of optimism at all.
Still with the ever-cheerful irony-friendly RWO gang we seem to be gathering these days, the footy is as fun as it ever has been. Even if I can't kick over 25-30 metres these days, Diego!

See you all at Trivia night (Spirit match pending). And of course against Carlton in Round 1.

JF

vagary
16th March 2003, 09:03 AM
in the match report on the afl site it says that powell has been reported for striking. can anyone tell me when that incident was?

liz
16th March 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by vagary
in the match report on the afl site it says that powell has been reported for striking. can anyone tell me when that incident was?

It was the Powell incident that started the "melee" incident JF refers to, though it wasn't really more than a bit of scuffling. To the naked eye Powell's "strike" didn't look like much. His intention was to spoil the ball but he arrived a bit late and landed a whack across his opponent's neck or head. Clumsy yes, but definitely not malicious.

desredandwhite
16th March 2003, 11:12 AM
It was Powell who was pulled aside by Barry in that incident. He got reported after he tried to spoil a pass to Tivendale, misjudged it and whacked him around the head.

Norris Lurker
16th March 2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe
ive got a question what did you think of adam goodes because i think he had a good game He did very well - easily beat Stafford. He went off on the last quarter, but before that he was probably one of the Swans' best.

swansrock4eva
16th March 2003, 01:38 PM
See you all at Trivia night (Spirit match pending). And of course against Carlton in Round 1.

Oi! - spirit matches aren't that important! come on, it's only the finals :p

Rizzo
17th March 2003, 03:55 PM
As I said in a prior post - the forward line looks promising but the lack of organisation and turnovers out of the midfield is a worry. Also, Richo could have turned the game if he kicked straight.

From the Noble stand I could hear a few vocal supporters in front of the Ladies - should have guessed it was you lot. My girlfriend told me I wasn't aloud to yell insults during pre-season but that didn't stop me with some of the 'in the back' decisions that were given and some that were not. "You idiot Umpire!"

Mike_B
17th March 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
From the Noble stand I could hear a few vocal supporters in front of the Ladies - should have guessed it was you lot.

Damn, we're notorious even in the pre-season!

Skells
17th March 2003, 04:14 PM
I was at the game sitting near the players race and from looking at some of the pictures on RWO with the flags etc; I was able to work out where the noise was coming from.

Destructive
17th March 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Micky O (who to those not at the game was sitting right in front of our mob to the right of the players' bench with a coach's clipboard) glanced at him as if he was going to sock him one, as Destructive continued to basically scream his lolly legs routine within 50 centimetres of him.

I lost it totally when Destructive was in full cry, with saliva flying everywhere. And spend much of the third quarter in tears of laughter thinking over the memorious occasion.

Still Destructive was at his best today, mozzing at least 4 of Richo's shots on goal. A truly champion effort, even if snobby Michael Olaughlin didn't appreciate it. Respect for having travelled up from Goulburn just for a trial Danny!

It was truly a cult afternoon with people who make watching the footy fun (even though my Canadian flatmates were somewhat confused by procedings, and shocked at my singing, chant leader and all-round banter with the RWO crew.) For 4 quarters we spent laughing at Matthew Richardson's 6 missed shots at goal, as he whinged and complained to the umpires and other teammates that it was all their fault. Stafford was equally pathetic. Lizz is right, Richmond were pish. We weren't any better until at least the last quarter where we actually put together some half decent footy.

For 3 quarters we were brought to cynical laughter again and again as cult hero Jude Bolton (who looks to have beefed up incredibly in the off-season) managed to do several very courageous things only to send passes 5 metres off target or dribbling along the ground to arrive on the half volley to teammates under pressure. The fact he spent most of the game running to the boundary line to me was indicative of how the Swas see his imput into the team. At least I hope it is. He is nothing but a hack. Good vigour, but appalling skills. That have NEVER improved in all the years he has been in Sydney.

Seriously, the people of New South Wales will soon be having to vote for a new leader. Forget the Libs and Bobbie "I look like ET" Carr". We must start a new party-the Jude Bolton party!

NO, don't stop there, let's make Jude Bolton president of the United States of America!!!!!! Imagine the benefits of having Jude Bolton authorise a miltary assault on Iraq- it mean he could get all steamed up and send off heaps of missiles, but they would either end up hundreds of miles off-target. Or more than likely would just go dribbling along the ground!

Mark Powell, with a mullet so bad it can only be likened to a Tina Turner wig, impressed with a few things he did, as did cocky young Schnyder. I reckon those who criticised Nick Davis will be made to eat their words. Our club lives and dies on whether we can produce Sydney-based players good enough to reach AFL standard. Nick Davis is one of our own, so we should get behind him as he played for the club he barracked for as a wee sprog. Good you good thing Nick!

Another highlight of the match was when BBBBB deliberately went into a melee in the last quarter to pull McVeigh (I think) away from his yellow and black sparring partner after he got reported for charging.The crowd roared at the high sense of irony as the new Sensitive New Age Barry made great efforts to lead his young charge away from further trouble. The conflict handling development course must have worked a treat in the off-season Baz!

To me we still badly lack a decent full-back, ruckman and CHF. Until we think about manning those positions properly, I can't say I'll be looking at this season with any sort of optimism at all.
Still with the ever-cheerful irony-friendly RWO gang we seem to be gathering these days, the footy is as fun as it ever has been. Even if I can't kick over 25-30 metres these days, Diego!

JF

Thanks for the rave write up JF. I had a lot of fun. Micky O would'nt have stopped me. Hell I think I've even won them some games. Norris Lurker would be able to tell you. ( I can only seem to remember when people have farted) My mozz of the day had to have been when I mozzed Greg Stafford, who missed a shot so easy, anybody playing in our game next week could kick it.

I love coming up for the games. The train trip is absolutely no problem. I just take a couple of books along and I'm fine.

When I first saw Bob Carr I thought he looked like Yoda from Star Wars.

Diego
17th March 2003, 08:14 PM
I had heaps of fun.

Lucky for me I have a loud deep voice..so you would have heard me quite a bit on Saturday during the game.

:D