daniel f
15th May 2004, 07:02 PM
were a show here,i reckon wc are running out of steam

daniel f
15th May 2004, 07:03 PM
thats if we could kick st8,lost us more than 1 game this year

swans_premiers
15th May 2004, 07:05 PM
won us more than 1 game last year though, it all evens out eventually.

daniel f
15th May 2004, 07:07 PM
how good is barry hall?fossy is having a great 2nd half

Barry Schneider
15th May 2004, 07:19 PM
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Kerr's effort on Kirk.
It was a bump on a player who had the ball.It wasn't an elbow.The game is too soft as it is to stop that stuff.
Nothing brave about it but I don't think he will get weeks.

ugg
15th May 2004, 07:20 PM
I thought I saw a lifted elbow in there.

daniel f
15th May 2004, 07:26 PM
eagles have gone to sleep,this isnt over by a long shot

Mike_B
15th May 2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ugg
I thought I saw a lifted elbow in there.

That's what I saw too....it was a bit more than a hip and shoulder IMHO, he led with the elbow and should get 2 weeks.

ugg
15th May 2004, 07:58 PM
Dunno what the ruling is, but I don't think the elbow made contact so he might get off for that.

robbieando
15th May 2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Dunno what the ruling is, but I don't think the elbow made contact so he might get off for that.

If you lead with the elbow, jump off the ground, have eyes only for the man and clean him up, YOUR GONE.

liz
15th May 2004, 09:15 PM
Kerr came off a standing start, ran 10m or so and connected with Kirk's head. Don't care if it was his elbow or not that made contact - it was (at best) reckless contact at a player's head. It's not like Kirky ducked or anything, he was already on the ground. Hasn't Kerr been suspended for something similar before? He should get weeks.

stellation
15th May 2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by lizz
Kerr came off a standing start, ran 10m or so and connected with Kirk's head. Don't care if it was his elbow or not that made contact - it was (at best) reckless contact at a player's head. It's not like Kirky ducked or anything, he was already on the ground. Hasn't Kerr been suspended for something similar before? He should get weeks.

One of the amazingly impartial commentators seemed to be starting to justify it straight away that Kirk was ducking his head... I swear I get more and more annoyed everytime I see us play a televised game from WA.

silent lurker
15th May 2004, 10:14 PM
Leaving the ground will definitely work against Kerr. According to afl.com.au, the report was for charging.

The Boot
16th May 2004, 12:40 PM
4 weeks or i'll eat my hat!

Foreign Legion
16th May 2004, 01:47 PM
Got a bit of form has Kerr I think, will get 1 or 2 for being so reckless.

penga
16th May 2004, 02:33 PM
very similar to the hit by guerra against ling from the WC GF, guerra got 4, i think kerr deserves pretty close to that

Nico
16th May 2004, 02:42 PM
Jack the Blind Miner could see that it was a lifted elbow before contact, not a relex action after contact. He ran a long way and contact on Kirk was with the point of his elbow. A very dangerous act with a lot more force than Holland on Williams and Baker on Johnson.

Hit him the temple and the chances are you have another John Greening or even worse.

Green from WCE got four for a shin kick. Kerr (Cur) was way worse and must get 6.

sharpie
16th May 2004, 03:34 PM
The word isnt reckless. Try GUTLESS.

He lines up a bloke trying to contest the ball and goes full steam at him, shoulder first. where is the attempt to get the ball, where is the attempt to tackle with his arms?

Immediate sinbin for shoulder charging like that in Union, and that is a much tougher tackling game than AFL. He must go.

omnipotent
16th May 2004, 03:41 PM
Tribunal has to take a dim view of players leaving the ground as this can affect the outcome.

Tooth Fairy
16th May 2004, 07:59 PM
Kerr came off a standing start, ran 10m or so and connected with Kirk's head. Don't care if it was his elbow or not that made contact - it was (at best) reckless contact at a player's head. It's not like Kirky ducked or anything, he was already on the ground. Hasn't Kerr been suspended for something similar before? He should get weeks. That's how I saw it too. He should get a week or two. But I bet he don't

Bear
16th May 2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by The Boot
4 weeks or i'll eat my hat!

What type of hat do you have?

Go Swannies
17th May 2004, 12:58 AM
That hit probably gave the Eagles the game as it freed up Cousins and he used that to very good effect. A few weeks off for Farmer (who lately seems to be suffering the irrationality sometimes brought on by tertiary syphilis) and King-hit Kerr makes it even easier for the Saints next week and the Tigers the week after but doesn't give us another chance to reclaim those 4 points.

TheHood
17th May 2004, 08:59 AM
Kerr certainly does have form in this department. Pushed his own captain down a flight of stairs which resulted in Cousins breaking his arm. Turns out Kerr did a number of the sister of the Cuzz.

Sanecow
17th May 2004, 12:05 PM
He hung his elbow out from metres away and just ran at Kirky; it was worse that a pro-wrestling coathanger! If I'd been on the ground near the incident, I would be out for a few weeks on a striking charge - I was surprised Maxfield didn't go troppo.

floppinab
17th May 2004, 12:57 PM
My reactions to this incident are pretty mixed after reading some of the responses here.

In one mind is the sanitisation of our game, that body on body contact is being reported out of the game, that a bloke attempting a legitimate hip and shoulder will always think twice about it for fear of spending a few weeks on the sidelines if he stuffs it up.

On the other is that a bloke like Kirky, as tough and courageous as it comes, has exposed himself by not taking the weak option and thumping it forward, but gone up and taken possession, should be therefore be protected by the rules.

These incidents are all a matter of timing, a split second earlier and Kerr would more than likely hit Kirk legitimately and they both would be OK. But he was a little late, and Kirk a lot lower to the ground than he was anticipating, the arm came up just enough to collect Kirk on the way through.

On the lighter side how was Kirky's reaction after he got up.... 'you're not taking me anywhere' :)

sharp9
17th May 2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
My reactions to this incident are pretty mixed after reading some of the responses here.

In one mind is the sanitisation of our game, that body on body contact is being reported out of the game, that a bloke attempting a legitimate hip and shoulder will always think twice about it for fear of spending a few weeks on the sidelines if he stuffs it up.

Surely you are joking. It's not a legitimate hip and shoulder if your elbow or shoulder or hip hit the other guy in the head. It is your responsibilty to not damage another bloke's head. Where's the problem?

It is a unique part of Aussie rules that you are allowed to barrel into blokes (that is to say you don't have to try and tackle them)...but what goes along with that is that you must protect the player over the ball.

Richo should have been suspended last year when he collected Mathews in the head (for example) and same for Robbins if he got McPhee the other week (in the head).

Some people bleat about "the arm stayed close to his side," but as far as I'm aware that makes no difference to whether it should be a free kick (and only mitigates the suspension if a player is hurt).

sharp9
17th May 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Dunno what the ruling is, but I don't think the elbow made contact so he might get off for that. So it was phantom finger that nearly concussed Kirky. What are you smoking? Or are you suggesting it's OK to concuss a bloke as long as you use your shoulder?

floppinab
17th May 2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Surely you are joking. It's not a legitimate hip and shoulder if your elbow or shoulder or hip hit the other guy in the head. It is your responsibilty to not damage another bloke's head. Where's the problem?

All I'm saying is that it's a matter of a fraction of a second between a legitimate H&S and what happened to Kirky.
Kerr stuffed up his timing, now he is going to pay with 2 or 3 weeks.

Go Swannies
17th May 2004, 01:51 PM
All I'm saying is that it's a matter of a fraction of a second between a legitimate H&S and what happened to Kirky.
Kerr stuffed up his timing, now he is going to pay with 2 or 3 weeks.

Stuffed up his timing?? I've yet to watch the tape again but my memory is that he would have had time to stop off for a coffee between the time Kirk got the ball and the hit!

BAM_BAM
17th May 2004, 03:01 PM
I've got an eagle supporter working out of our office today and his comments on it were about right. He did mention that the elbow came up after the contact, but when I mentioned regardless of where his elbow was he had no intention other than knocking the crap out of Kirky he agreed completely.

I also loved the way Kirky was indicating as he walked off he was only coming off for 2 minutes.

Schneidergirl
17th May 2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I also loved the way Kirky was indicating as he walked off he was only coming off for 2 minutes.

Sensational!!! :D:D:D

monopoly19
17th May 2004, 03:54 PM

And the fact that he almost smashed his head into the roof of the interchange bench thingie as he went to sit down - saved only by the quick thinking of the trainers. He had me laughing for a long time...

sharp9
17th May 2004, 05:01 PM
Kerr stuffed up his timing, now he is going to pay with 2 or 3 weeks. And that is absolutely appropriate. Reckless disregard for another player's safety whilst "not playing the ball."

That's the key, if you're going for the ball then tough luck on the other bloke, if you're not going for the ball then it's your problem Simple really. Also.....what happened later in the match? which previously well held WA captain was able to run riot after his opponent was KO'd and really influence the final outcome of the game?

I think that Kerr and the club will happily take the 2 weeks he should get because that moment was vital in getting them the 4 points.

It was absolutely premeditated (not the injury necessarily but the disregard....I'll either lay a great hip and shoulder OR put their most influential player out of the game...either way it's a win for us and worth the price if I stuff it up and miss the next couple....'cos Jako gets his four points)

dawson
17th May 2004, 05:12 PM
3-4

Go Swannies
17th May 2004, 05:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Weagles react if/when he's suspended. You have to presume he did it under instructions. But if the tribunal suspect that, too, he may be in for a long suspension.

Mike_B
17th May 2004, 10:05 PM
And the joke of it all - he gets off because the report was for striking and not charging.

liz
17th May 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
And the joke of it all - he gets off because the report was for striking and not charging.

If that is the case, surely the umpire can change the charge, or the video review person can lay the correct charge?

I have no problem with H&S in the game but when you are not playing the ball and you make hard, reckless contact with a player's head then surely you have to face the consequences. If that is within the rules then there is something wrong with the rules. Far worse, IMO, than the punch that Holland threw at Willo last year, even though that was off the ball. And remember that Hall got 5 weeks for an incident in 2002 that was ugly to watch and should not be allowed but was far less likely to cause serious injury than hits such as Kerr's.

Nico
17th May 2004, 10:27 PM
Robert Walls said In OTC that he should have gone for charging. They how far he ran to make contact, and Walls said it was about the best charge he had seen. Shook his head at the decision to withdraw.

Another example of the rabble the AFL admin is becoming.

Why didn't the AFL hack, Robinson, report him for a charge? Inept that's why.

stellation
18th May 2004, 11:22 AM

That was wonderful. Kirky's career highlights package is going to have him on the receiving end of some real bone rattlers... and then just getting up and wanting to keep going.

stellation
18th May 2004, 11:23 AM
And remember that Hall got 5 weeks for an incident in 2002 that was ugly to watch and should not be allowed but was far less likely to cause serious injury than hits such as Kerr's.

I was actually suprised that Barry didn't get reported after the little wrestle he had during the game. Nothing in it of course and shouldn't have been reported, but he is Barry Hall.