PDA

View Full Version : I believe...

CureTheSane
19th May 2004, 01:24 AM
... we will finish in the 8.

Never doubted it.

Rough trot at the moment, but we will shine through and have a reasonable season.

All we need to do is make the finals and be in good form at the time and anything can happen.

j s
19th May 2004, 09:31 AM
We don't want to waste a GF ticket guarantee now do we? ;)

Nico
19th May 2004, 08:27 PM
Was there anything about refunds in the fine print?

Bron
19th May 2004, 11:50 PM
I always believe in my team.

My choice.

Some people (GKW) have kids and give unreserved love. I have a team. I reckon I have the better deal. We will win.

Frankly, there's no point having a team if you don't believe (and cheer). (MPO)

undy
20th May 2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by j s
We don't want to waste a GF ticket guarantee now do we? ;)

I reckon its an investment for those people, not a guarantee - you can bet that the people who paid the extra $50 in year X will get first dibs on GF ticket guarantees in year X+1.

Andy

Sydney Swans - AFL Premiership X+1

footyhead
20th May 2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
... we will finish in the 8.

Never doubted it.

Rough trot at the moment, but we will shine through and have a reasonable season.

All we need to do is make the finals and be in good form at the time and anything can happen.

Good for you, but this has been the same pattern of mediocity that this team has followed for at least 10 years , and I don't remember us "SNEAKING" a premeirship flag in that time.
When we have a genuine contender for the flag team, we will know it. They will be a consitantly competative out fit over a course of more than 2 seasons.
This team is not yet that and as a consequence I don't care where they finish, cos they will not win the flag this year.

dendol
20th May 2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
Good for you, but this has been the same pattern of mediocity that this team has followed for at least 10 years , and I don't remember us "SNEAKING" a premeirship flag in that time.
When we have a genuine contender for the flag team, we will know it. They will be a consitantly competative out fit over a course of more than 2 seasons.
This team is not yet that and as a consequence I don't care where they finish, cos they will not win the flag this year.

so if we finished third last year, and made the finals and maybe won a finals or two this year, you still wouldnt care? Wouldnt making the finals in successive years mean that we are at least on the right track? Especially if we consider that we will be coming back from a slump as ugly as we have seen this last month. We are 3-5 at the moment, but we've been competitive in our losses. We havent just rolled over yet, which shows that this team still has the ability and fight we remember from last year.

We will get out of this. Once the confidence is back from a few wins, Im sure we will be considered some sort of chance to do some damage come finals time. Im still willing to grant Roos his 4-5 years to build a team that will be up there for years to come.

If we had finished 8th last year, none of you will be so spoilt for success this soon, Im sure of it.

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 11:05 AM

Memo to self: this is the very attitude that has me despairing of RWO at present. Don't bother to respond. And certainly don't mention that, by the above definition, Port Adelaide (minor premiers for the past two years) are everything we should emulate.

Bart
20th May 2004, 11:12 AM
I believe...
........I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky

Bart
20th May 2004, 11:51 AM

footyhead, recently you have asked for (a) a complete clearout of players (b) a clearout of the board (c) tank games to get good picks (d) that the club needed to finish last (e) that we should have gone for higher draft picks last year (you didn't mention HOW we would actually do this) (f) That Saddo acts like Capper (g) that SMFC is to blame for your perceived Swans culture problems

when just 4 weeks before you were effusive in your praise of our current players i.e.

"That is what is also very exciting, they still seem to have room to improve !!!"

and

"I think the way this team is playing and the depth of the list and the brilliance of the coaching means that we may have a really good shot this year"

and (this one is my personal favourite)

"It is very early days I know but I think this is the best Swans team I have seen and I am looking forward to seasone 2004 very very much!" (after the win against the Roos)

So basically we've gone from "brilliance of the coaching" and "the best Swans team I have seen" to 10 years of mediocrity.

The only "pattern" I see here is one of incoherence, inconsistency and disloyalty.

penga
20th May 2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Bart
The only "pattern" I see here is one of incoherence, inconsistency and disloyalty.

what about bad spelling? :p

Dave
20th May 2004, 01:30 PM
I believe most of the problem is in their heads.
They just need to find the spark.

BAM_BAM
20th May 2004, 03:12 PM
(f) That Saddo acts like Capper

LMAO. I must have missed that one in all of the other drivel I'd waded through this week. I think that comment's hilarious.

You've got to be kidding right?

Schneidergirl
20th May 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
LMAO. I must have missed that one in all of the other drivel I'd waded through this week. I think that comment's hilarious.

Sad isn't it! :rolleyes:

Also Bam_Bam totally off the subject, I find your picture totally totally drop dead gorgeous! Where did you snipe that one?

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 03:20 PM
That Saddo acts like Capper

It's hard to type while shuddering but I'll try. I can just about cope with the idea of a naked Roos (esp if it results in us winning) but Jason in tiny, skin-tight shorts isn't a good image to conjure.

Never mind the outfit - he'd also need a lobotomy. Or maybe Capper was like a dinosaur and half of his brain was in his kicking foot?

Bart
20th May 2004, 03:24 PM

Not kidding

Sometimes I watch him on the TV and I really do think that he thinks he is Gods gift to football some times. I mean who does GGF think he is Warick Capper ?????

or

Lets face it Gods gift to football (ggf), is the new luffy , minus the charm and people skills. :o

BAM_BAM
20th May 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl

Also Bam_Bam totally off the subject, I find your picture totally totally drop dead gorgeous! Where did you snipe that one?

from the shirtless site. it's at this address

http://www.shirtlessafl.com/

many more nice pic's to choose from too.:D :D

Schneidergirl
20th May 2004, 03:27 PM

OMG.... surely this is not legal!
WOW :D

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 03:28 PM

How did you discover that there was a shirtless site? Just curious.

BAM_BAM
20th May 2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
How did you discover that there was a shirtless site? Just curious.

too much spare time?? This is a little secret I've known about for a while a year +. I think I was just surfing and typed in Ryan's name and up came the site.

I was also standing about 5m away from where the boys were when the pictures at Martin Place were taken, but silly me forgot to take a camera. Lucky some one else did

BAM_BAM
20th May 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl
OMG.... surely this is not legal!
WOW :D

I know Schneidergirl, but aren't we glad we can exploit it while it is :D

Nico
20th May 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I believe most of the problem is in their heads.
They just need to find the spark.

Trouble is we have a few too many cranial vacuums on the paddock.

liz
20th May 2004, 08:58 PM

So basically we've gone from "brilliance of the coaching" and "the best Swans team I have seen" to 10 years of mediocrity.

Bart

Couldn't agree more.

Footyhead

Why do you bother following the Swans - and more to the point waste time posting here - when they clearly make you so miserable?

Bron
20th May 2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Jason in tiny, skin-tight shorts isn't a good image to conjure.

Maybe a good haircut?

Looking at our boys, I'm thinking that maybe the Club needs to employ the services of a good haircutter! Even (dare I say it) Jude BSMBH!

(This is a humorous post for all you boring so-serious folks out there who don't understand when someone is making a light-hearted comment!)

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Bron
Maybe a good haircut?

They'll still look great against the Hawks. Now there's a club that looks like it plays out of a 1970s hippy commune.

footyhead
20th May 2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by lizz
Bart

Couldn't agree more.

Footyhead

Why do you bother following the Swans - and more to the point waste time posting here - when they clearly make you so miserable?

It is true, I can't hide the fact of my bitter dissapointment of the re-emergance of the Swans of old latley, but as to making me miserable....., that is not true. Even if it were, I would not stop posting, because I see it as my duty to try and bring a bit of emotion and colour onto the RWO board.
Although I think that thre are some very good insights from the great majority of you, the thing I think that is lacking is a bit of flipant passion and a sence of being off the cuff. If I feel it I say it I don't care if it can be held to account by some two bit investigator.
Some of you obviously think that you are better than others here which is a pity because I am sure it is not true.
The fact is that the Swans supporters lack a little colour, and even if my oppinions are wrong or I can't spell, I will still give them, cos frankly I enjoy talking everything football. I also get a bit of a laugh at how haughtily and self importanly some of you post here on the board.
But if you take carful note, I do not attack people personally , nor do I try to make other people feel unwelcome on this board as has been done to me on several occassions. If you read other boards you will soon realise that you would all mostly not be remiss in taking a leaf out of other footy fans books, by loosening up and perhapes not taking yourselves or the placment of your cyber identities too seriously. Let other people have their opinions even if you find them incindary..... because thats what footy is all about . HAVE A NICE EVENING.

footyhead
20th May 2004, 10:51 PM
Oh and as for Disloyalty, see thats where some of you just don't get it do you ?? It is possible to be critical, even punitive and callous towrd your teams players without being disloyal. Some of you really do need to hang out with some real footy fans. Don't worry the team wont get their feelings too hurt if we call them names - that is part of traditional footy culture you soft jerks.

timthefish
21st May 2004, 12:10 AM
the whole "seasons over, don't care"/"doesn't matter what happens if we don't get a flag" boorishness really gets under my skin.
why don't you whiners go home and sleep until the last weekend of september. we'll give you a wake up call if the swans happen to be lined up lip-synching the national anthem. you can then rise like lazarus from the grave of spat dummies, dress yourselves resplendent in "1300 goals" t-shirts and beat your chests like the "true" fans you believe yourselves to be.
if not you can keep sleeping through until north sydney oval next year for all i care.
i believe there are more stories in afl than premierships and plenty to enjoy or otherwise experience. the competition has greater depth than the percentage column in the ladder and many minor victories worth remembering beside the big one

while i'm ranting, to those that chose to turn your backs and leave early when the game is definitely lost. do you also leave prematurely when the game is in the bag at 3/4 time? (i'd never have a go at people with kids or mobility problems btw)

tim

Go Swannies
21st May 2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by timthefish

while i'm ranting, to those that chose to turn your backs and leave early when the game is definitely lost. do you also leave prematurely when the game is in the bag at 3/4 time?
tim

I can'r remember but hope to have that option this Sunday! If so, I'm planning on sticking around and having a celebratory drink up in the Noble stand. See a few RWOs there?

sharpie
21st May 2004, 10:30 AM
while i'm ranting, to those that chose to turn your backs and leave early when the game is definitely lost. do you also leave prematurely when the game is in the bag at 3/4 time? (i'd never have a go at people with kids or mobility problems btw)

tim

I honestly have no problem with leaving a game early if the game warrants it. The only time I have contemplated doing it (and actually did it) was the Richmond game, and no-one can tell me that was a nice game of football to watch. If the game is shocking, then I think it is well within my rights to get up and leave. I am not saying it is just if the swans are playing badly, but it is how bad the game is going overall.

And yes, I have left a game early when the swans were winning by almost 100 points, few years back, because the contest was well and truly over. And the fact is, getting away early is a good way to beat the crowds.

penga
21st May 2004, 11:34 AM
the whole "seasons over, don't care"/"doesn't matter what happens if we don't get a flag" boorishness really gets under my skin.
why don't you whiners go home and sleep until the last weekend of september. we'll give you a wake up call if the swans happen to be lined up lip-synching the national anthem. you can then rise like lazarus from the grave of spat dummies, dress yourselves resplendent in "1300 goals" t-shirts and beat your chests like the "true" fans you believe yourselves to be.
if not you can keep sleeping through until north sydney oval next year for all i care.
i believe there are more stories in afl than premierships and plenty to enjoy or otherwise experience. the competition has greater depth than the percentage column in the ladder and many minor victories worth remembering beside the big one

tim

i hate it when people include a whole post in their "reply with quote" response, but mate, youve hit it on the head

penga
21st May 2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by sharpie
getting away early is a good way to beat the crowds

go to a local league game instead if thats what your worried about :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i HATE people who leave early :mad:

Tooth Fairy
21st May 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by penga
i hate it when people include a whole post in their "reply with quote" response, but mate, youve hit it on the head
Why? :p

sharpie
21st May 2004, 11:59 AM
go to a local league game instead if thats what your worried about :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why does it affect you, unless they stand up in front of you?

And if they do, just yell "SIT DOWN IN FRONT". Makes you feel better. I do it all the time. Makes my friends feel real nervous about going to get me a beer from the bar mid-quarter though! :D

But seriously, you cant be that upset that people like myself chose to leave 5 minutes before the end of the Richmond game. What was there to stay for, other than more pain watching a shambles out on the field and then booing the team off (which I would have done, because they did deserve it after that game as I have said before).

penga
21st May 2004, 02:10 PM
Why does it affect you, unless they stand up in front of you?

ive got separation anxiety... :D

you stay to the death, support to the end and all that gear

where do u live FWIW

Dpw
21st May 2004, 02:26 PM
Should always stay till the end win,lose or Draw its a loyalty issue and shows the team you back them 100%

BAM_BAM
21st May 2004, 02:47 PM
Don't worry the team wont get their feelings too hurt if we call them names - that is part of traditional footy culture you soft jerks.

and you know this for a fact?

I have no problem about anybody posting their opinion, take that away and we're not a society I want anything to do with. But when the line is crossed and players are ridiculed then yes their feelings can be hurt.

The players know that they are under the microscope, and probably should have more sense than to log onto here and believe some of the drivel we contribute to the site, but it doesn't mean that if they do come on in and read of themselves getting bagged week in week out by people who are suppose to SUPPORT them it will not hurt them. They are afterall human.

We keep mentioning the word confidence. Well I know if I was a player reading some of what's been posted lately, by supporters my confidence my not be all that sky high either.

This is not just directed at you Footyhead, I just used your quote to get off my chest something that has been bugging me for the past few weeks.

Tooth Fairy
21st May 2004, 04:41 PM
It bugs most of us Bam Bam.

Bart
21st May 2004, 04:50 PM
It is true, I can't hide the fact of my bitter dissapointment of the re-emergance of the Swans of old latley, but as to making me miserable....., that is not true. Even if it were, I would not stop posting, because I see it as my duty to try and bring a bit of emotion and colour onto the RWO board.
Although I think that thre are some very good insights from the great majority of you, the thing I think that is lacking is a bit of flipant passion and a sence of being off the cuff. If I feel it I say it I don't care if it can be held to account by some two bit investigator.
Some of you obviously think that you are better than others here which is a pity because I am sure it is not true.
The fact is that the Swans supporters lack a little colour, and even if my oppinions are wrong or I can't spell, I will still give them, cos frankly I enjoy talking everything football. I also get a bit of a laugh at how haughtily and self importanly some of you post here on the board.
But if you take carful note, I do not attack people personally , nor do I try to make other people feel unwelcome on this board as has been done to me on several occassions. If you read other boards you will soon realise that you would all mostly not be remiss in taking a leaf out of other footy fans books, by loosening up and perhapes not taking yourselves or the placment of your cyber identities too seriously. Let other people have their opinions even if you find them incindary..... because thats what footy is all about . HAVE A NICE EVENING.

Blah blah yadda yadda. BTW how many times can someone use the words I/My/Me in a single post ?

sharpie
21st May 2004, 06:01 PM
ive got separation anxiety... :D

you stay to the death, support to the end and all that gear

where do u live FWIW

North Shore, but leaving to beat the traffic is the least of the reasons I have left a game early. Against Richmond, I was quite distressed seeing the game unfold, and was very much not enjoying myself at all watching the crap on the field. It was a cold and miserable day. I felt very justified for leaving 5 mins before the end. Its not like I leave a game at half time or anything.

Talk of loyalty? Please, its not the be all and end all if some of the crowd have left when you're watching a game like that. I would be disloyal if i didnt go to the next game because of the richmond game, but that isnt going to happen.

Are people who leave towards the end of the match disloyal if the swans are winning by around 100 points and the game is dead?

NMWBloods
21st May 2004, 06:26 PM

Nothing wrong with leaving early when the result of the game is clear and there are only a few minutes left.

Go Swannies
21st May 2004, 07:30 PM
Well said Bam Bam. I do know for a fact that some media and at least one current Swans player do have a look at RWO. So, to a minor extent, we are just as much answerable for what we say as one of the team is when he makes a statement. We're publishing to the world, for goodness sake. (Whether the world wants to hear us is another matter.)

penga
22nd May 2004, 12:55 AM
Are people who leave towards the end of the match disloyal if the swans are winning by around 100 points and the game is dead?

yes

dendol
22nd May 2004, 01:31 PM
yes

disagree.

I, too, left a minute early at the Richmond game. I didnt have a poncho (where the hell did i put it!?!?) so was wet, cold, and oh so disappointed at the result. We pay money to watch our Swans play, so why should I be labelled 'disloyal' if I leave early? The same thing applies to a really bad movie/play/tv show. If I payed to see something, and its not to the standard I enjoy, then I have the choice to leave.

Ive been through bigger losses than the Richmond one but stuck it out through the end. It was just that the effort in that particular game was so poor that it hurt to watch it.

dread and might
22nd May 2004, 02:00 PM
i almost left early from the richmond game, but didn't. i never have and even thinking about it was quite a stretch but i don't judge people who do.......

it's pretty easy when you live 5 minutes walk away;)

having said that if we're out at TS i figure it's going to take forever to get home anyway what's a few minutes....

i didn't clap though. i was pretty angry.

sharpie
22nd May 2004, 02:16 PM
yes

No

NMWBloods
22nd May 2004, 07:27 PM
yes

To extrapolate further, does that mean if don't go to the game you are also disloyal?

The Boot
22nd May 2004, 09:34 PM
Original post by NMWBloods
To extrapolate further, does that mean if don't go to the game you are also disloyal?
Only if there's a death in the family .. YOURS!!!
:D :p

NMWBloods
22nd May 2004, 09:49 PM
Surely then you should be there in spirit... ;)

AussieAnge
23rd May 2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Dpw
Should always stay till the end win,lose or Draw its a loyalty issue and shows the team you back them 100%

Don't necessarily agree with this. I agree with Bam Bam that we are supporters and should support the team. I rarely leve a game early but have always left the game early on Mothers' day, I used to take my Mum out for dinner after the game and would leave a little early to beat the traffic. This year I left early to attend the mass being said to honour her memory on Mothers' day. I'd rather be seen as being disloyal to a team I'm paying good money to support than be disloyal to the memory of my mother.

BTW - I believe we need a win!