View Full Version : Tall order to keep out Hawks

ScottH
20th May 2004, 07:35 AM
Tall order to keep out Hawks
By Richard Hinds
May 20, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format

After snapping a six-game losing streak, Hawthorn are plotting ways to exploit the under-manned Sydney defence this weekend, with tall forwards Nathan Thompson and Nick Holland given some chance of returning to the Hawks line-up.

Thompson missed last week's victory over Fremantle with a virus but was on the verge of being dropped after kicking four goals in the previous five games. Holland lost his spot after kicking just two goals in the same period and struggling to have an impact.

Small forward Mark Williams has helped carry the attack in recent weeks. But assistant coach George Stone said the Swans' height deficiencies in defence and the nature of the SCG meant the tall options would be considered.

"They've had to use Leo Barry on [Melbourne's] David Neitz and I think they are a bit undermanned [in defence]," Stone said. "On that ground tall forwards have a pretty good record if you can get it out of the middle quickly, so we'll be putting a bit of thought into that."

Stone suggested another option would be to use in-form ruckman Peter Everitt in the goal square. Thompson could then return to take a share of ruck duties.

Stone himself is something of a weapon. Having been assistant to Rodney Eade at the Swans for three years, he has intimate knowledge of their list and was credited for helping plot Hawthorn's victories over his former club last year - by 42 points at the MCG and 17 points at the SCG.

"Obviously that helps in your planning," said Stone. "Everyone knows the strengths of opposition players, but when you've worked with them you get to know their weaknesses, what they like to do and the places they don't like to be taken."

dread and might
20th May 2004, 11:15 AM
everitt is my main worry. if they are relying on holland and thompson, we should be happy.

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 11:20 AM
Yes, our backs can't stop rampaging tall forwards. But few can - that's why Richo, Bazza, Tredrea etc are so important every week.

All the Swans can do is deny them supply through the midfield. Somehow the Hawks and their supporters seem locked in the belief that the SCG is so short that their backs should just be able to kick the length of the ground to the forwards. Let's hope we use our better knowledge of the ground to our advantage (and they get lost in the SCG's wide wings this weekend).

sharp9
20th May 2004, 11:26 AM
The four words a Swans fans likes pretty much the least "Everitt in the goalsquare." Oh, crap.

It is almost amusing how we not only play teams into form, but we also any bloke who is tall delusions of Full-Forward grandeur - even if they have barely played the position in their life.

I mean how many times has Brendon Lade kicked 5? Jakovich???? And then there is that legend in front of goals Dean Cox who just needed something...what was it? Oh, yes.....a game against Sydney. And Peter Everitt just gives me nightmares.

Can't wait to face Hamill, Gehrig, Riewoldt and Koschitzke in one forward line.

But seriously do we have any options to try and counter so many tall forward/ruckmen?

Both Ball and Doyle don't seem to get back and fill the hole much the way Goodes does when he is rucking.

We've got no LRT, or S. Stevens.

Heath James and Aaron Rogers both have ankle sprains, BTW (to be tested).

Hunt is injured.

Maybe we need to play Meiklejohn as a tall defender....he is being groomed as a KPP rather than ruckman (according to Roosey) so maybe now is the time seeing as we have nothing to lose, really.

Personally I think the most pro-active way to use Saddington is as a forward....let them worry about his size and marking ability.

ScottH
20th May 2004, 01:29 PM
Maybe we could use Staffords way of nulling spiders usefulness. break his nose. Altho we can't really afford to lose anyone thru suspension at the moment.

Spider is a big worry, esp at the SCG where a quick kick out of the centre can land in a big forwards hands without a defender touching the ball (or him).

Maybe Rogers needs a BIG job to bring out the best in him.

:confused:

Dave
20th May 2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by sharp9

Can't wait to face Hamill, Gehrig, Riewoldt and Koschitzke in one forward line.

Through some ironic twist of fate we will probably be the first team to beat the Saints this year!

sharp9
20th May 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Through some ironic twist of fate we will probably be the first team to beat the Saints this year! Agree 100%

BAM_BAM
20th May 2004, 02:45 PM
I boldly stated this on Tuesday to my West Coast colleague and he agreed

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 02:47 PM
Through some ironic twist of fate we will probably be the first team to beat the Saints this year!

I thought I was the only one with that vision of the future. Close one against the doggies then convincing win over the Aints!

ScottH
20th May 2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
I thought I was the only one with that vision of the future. Close one against the doggies then convincing win over the Aints!

Ssssshhhhhhh!!!!

We don't want any Saints reading this!!!

;)

Schneidergirl
20th May 2004, 02:53 PM

This statement is bringing tears to my eyes.... that or I've been sitting too long in front of this screen. :)

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hemsleys
Ssssshhhhhhh!!!!

We don't want any Saints reading this!!!

;)

I don't think the Aints would be quaking. The Hawks aren't. I hope it stays that way when the Hawks memories are of what was an uncharacteristic drop of attention by the Swans last year as they all got caught up in the hype of the TOC weekend. I think this will be one game that the Swannies go into ready for revenge. They shouldn't have lost last year - I hope they won't this year.

Thunder Shaker
20th May 2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Somehow the Hawks and their supporters seem locked in the belief that the SCG is so short that their backs should just be able to kick the length of the ground to the forwards.

The SCG is the shortest ground in the league, but it's not *that* much shorter than other grounds.

Subi: 175.6 m (longest ground)
MCG: 160 m (Grand Final venue)
Homebush: 158.7m (Swans' other home venue)
SCG: 147 m (shortest ground)

The SCG is 13 metres shorter than the MCG. That is less than twice the distance between the goal posts. That distance is most significant in centre clearances to the forward line. Kicks from D50 to F50 - as in arc to arc - need to travel 60m on the MCG, and 47m on the SCG (assuming 50m arcs for the SCG). In practice, the chance of a defender getting off an unpressured kick from arc to arc is not that great.

About the only major thing teams do differently at the SCG compared to other grounds is that for the SCG you should usually pick two spinners in the side.

Go Swannies
20th May 2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for those figures. The relative width of the SCG causes problems for visitors too. However, it seems the home team that has spent most time lost out on the wings this year.