PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the big Improver

gloveski
16th January 2003, 08:50 PM
Just curious to who everyone thinks will be the big improver.

For mine Ryan O'keefe this guy could turn into a more than handy onballer in the next few seasons, and as he showed late last year is a more than handy forward. He is also no stranger to playing down back so his apparent versatility could see him being a key player under Roos.

I will watch his progress this year with interest to see how far off the mark I am

robbieando
16th January 2003, 09:11 PM
My trip is Stephen Doyle, but more on that in my next article when the site is back up

Cheer Cheer
16th January 2003, 09:37 PM
Believe it or not Nick Davis will explode and quickly become rated our best youngster - big big improvement

Dpw
16th January 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Believe it or not Nick Davis will explode and quickly become rated our best youngster - big big improvement

Sure hope your right!

Jimmy C
17th January 2003, 12:30 AM
Tadgh Kennelly!

CARNA BLOODS!!!

jude_boltons_babe
17th January 2003, 03:18 AM
i want to see adam goodes and jude bolton improve this year and i hope heath james goes well

vagary
17th January 2003, 08:39 AM
i put my vote in for fixter.

NMWBloods
17th January 2003, 09:49 AM
Micky O - to improve back to the good old days!!

TheMase
17th January 2003, 09:50 AM
Ryan O'Keefe and Ben Fixter

Grant
17th January 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by TheMase
Ryan O'Keefe and Ben Fixter

I'm with Masey on this one.I think these two will thrive under Roos' game plan,they both started showing it late last year.

Rizzo
17th January 2003, 11:02 AM
Frosty to improve his awareness when holding the pill and kick at least one goal from outside 50 every game ;-)

O'Keefe to become our ball winning hard man.

Bazza to hold his temper and take the Coleman medal.

Micky to rediscover his magic.

CureTheSane
17th January 2003, 11:11 AM
In the eyes of the people here, I am gonna say that Brad Seymour will be the big improver, because it seems a lot of people don't even want him on our list, but be yje end of the season, he will have become invaluable in helping fill the void left by Dunkley :)

Jeffers1984
17th January 2003, 11:27 AM
Biggest improvers for this year IMO are:

Fosdike- to take an even bigger step and lead the midfield

Tadhg- Ditto with fossie

chammond
17th January 2003, 11:46 AM
Mark Powell was supposed to be the pick of the 2001 draftees. Given that he did nothing last year, you would hope that he will make giant strides this season.

But I reckon that Buchanan could be the biggest improver. His efforts in re-inventing his game last year said a lot about his character, but he's going to have to fight hard to get a game this year. That might just be the right catalyst to lift his performance another notch, and transfer his Port Melb form onto the AFL stage.

With Fixter and O'Keefe, we have to remember that they are still very much AFL novices, and 2003 will be a steep learning curve for both of them. They will do very well just to cement a permanent place in the starting 22.

17th January 2003, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see Ball return to form and be injury free.

NMWBloods
17th January 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
My trip is Stephen Doyle
Hopefully not again!! :( (best watch out for Burgo!!)

Diego
17th January 2003, 07:26 PM
Nick Davis and Ryan O'keefe.

JIM4
17th January 2003, 08:25 PM
I'm with Ryno, he's a real guttsy playerand not afraid to mix it with the big guys.

Bas
17th January 2003, 08:46 PM
Kenny Williams. He's had conducting lessons. :rolleyes:

I hope the whole team improves. It was interesting at the B&F Dinner, how everyone was saying how much players improved in the last 10 games. Fosdikes stats were very significant.

I couldn't help think it was because Eade had gone.

Well this year will be the real test.

It would be good if the young ones like LRT, Sunny, Powell make an impression.

I wouldn't be surprised if McVeigh debuts before year end.

Ajn
18th January 2003, 10:42 AM
Again I too agree with all selections, however don't forget Scott Stevens and Jared Sunquist who will soon be household names.

My personal favourite is Amon Buchanan too make the biggest jump to become a Peter Bell type ball magnet. Watching him at Port last year I noticed his ability to shake off opponents and continue running. It is a rare skill that Robert Harvey has also that requires powerful leg strength. Look for it when season approaches!

liz
18th January 2003, 12:27 PM
Buchanan may have his work cut out this year, especially early, because he hasn't been able to train (broken ankle). He looks like one of those players who will have to work on his fitness throughout his career and missing the bulk of the pre-season won't help him.

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 12:29 PM
Yep - My vote for Monty too - even though he has been disappointing so far, I think he has SOMETHING. Just seems to know how to play footy.

But as Liz says, he has a LOT of work ahead of him.

Troy G
18th January 2003, 12:56 PM
A big problem in the past for the Swans has been the weight of Club/ AFL /Fan expectation. This year is all new and the approach that Roos has laid out is correct of laying the ground work, creating the right enviroment, giving the guys the opportunity to produce the goods and lets just see what the guys can give us!

Lets not fall into the old ways of putting pressure on individuals and the team overall!

Let's be more like Fremantle for example they don't expect their team to necessarily make the finals and win heaps of games but they rejoice in the wins even more then when they come, are passionate about their club and the results without any of the pressure are starting to come for them!

We have the situation at the Swans were we saw a vast improvement in the team at the end of the year than at the beginning and that's how we want the team to keep going, but I think we all need to really forget everything including last year and treat the game at North Sydney Oval in many many ways as Sydney Swans Day 1. And just enjoy the wins and the losses like it's your (and their) first season!

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 01:00 PM
TG, you might have a point there. So many things CAN go wrong for a player - injuries, form, whatever.

Hopefully the ones improving can cover for those who are not having the best year, and then some!

Potential is an ugly, ugly word - *coughdalelewiscough*

:D

liz
18th January 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Troy G

Let's be more like Fremantle for example they don't expect their team to necessarily make the finals and win heaps of games but they rejoice in the wins even more then when they come, are passionate about their club and the results without any of the pressure are starting to come for them!

I kinda know what you're trying to say Troy, but the last club I want Sydney to emulate is the Frockers. They are yet to make the finals and, to be honest, haven't ever really looked like it. Do we want a club that is happy to have a good victory now and again or one that intends to win a premiership? I'd rather we were more like Essendon.

bridgey
18th January 2003, 01:44 PM
i think every player (hopefully most) will try their best to improve!!!

Dpw
18th January 2003, 05:23 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]

Freo surpporters draw blood every time they lose, just listen to the radio or read the West Aus.

I can tell you that the crowds are less than half of what West Coast get .

The saying here in the west for freo surpporters is - "fair weather sailors" - beileve me it's true

Please don't use them for and example of how Sydney surpporters should be, please were better than that.

Troy G
18th January 2003, 06:49 PM
My post wasn't really about Fremantle it was about the Swans and our attitude towards 2003!

I was saying that this should be a year where we just sit back and enjoy the football without the expectation of a Premiership or even a making the finals.

Yes it would be great if we did and yes that's what clubs and players are in the game for,but my point was that part of the problem has been that the club has wanted a Premiership in a quick fix fashion and now the club is doing the right thing then we also as fans should give the players, the club and ourselves a year off all the pressure and just enjoy whatever the Swans year brings!

Let just hope it just a good positive year unlike last year and get out and Cheer Cheer the Red and White and just have a year of fun! We deserve to give ourslves that after last year and just enjoy the games and the players without the expectation and the pressure. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

robbieando
18th January 2003, 10:15 PM
Of course not everyone listed above will improve greatly, because anyone could be hit by injuries and the like. But if we can get the right players to improve (ie the ones who will play senior for most of the year) anything can happen.

Ajn
19th January 2003, 09:02 PM
Players will improve and as we saw towards the end of 2002 the shift of focus was a mental release for most. As for too higher expectation, we won't win the cup next year but the possibility of influencing the finals is well within our grasp. My tip is 6-8 on the ladder with 13 wins, but that won't put pressure on the team. But in the end i'll settle for winning against collingwood, that one year overachieving bunch of misfits.

silent lurker
21st January 2003, 05:46 AM
I think Sunny will take a step up this year. I was impressed with what I saw in his one senior game last season. I won't be surprised if Adam Schneider steps up to senior football either.

Xie Shan
21st January 2003, 09:26 PM
In response to Troy G's post, I don't want to have too high expectations for 2003, but after reading this thread, and seeing all the players with potential to improve - and yes, I know that potential can be an ugly word - one can't help wondering....

However, it is wise not to put too much pressure on the team, or any team or individual for that matter! Take the pressure on Aussies like Rafter and Hewitt at the Australian Open tennis for example.

Anyway, I just hope that the team continues to play attacking football this year under Roosy.

robbieando
21st January 2003, 11:17 PM
Too much pressure is not a good thing. The less said about this season the better.

liz
21st January 2003, 11:35 PM
Too much pressure is not a good thing. The less said about this season the better.

There's a fine line to be drawn between "too much pressure" and settling for mediocrity. I agree that ladder position isn't the most important measure of success for 2003, but beyond that it becomes important.

Furthermore, while I won't be disappointed if there are a handful of bad losses in 2003, I will be annoyed if I think the players out on the ground during any particular game aren't playing to win (or at least to be the best they can), regardless of the actual outcome.

j s
21st January 2003, 11:38 PM
The big improver???

Paul Roos!!

TheHood
22nd January 2003, 08:35 AM
The pressure is NOT on the team to become the equivalent of the Lions overnight, that part is clear.

However there is pressure on individuals to meet fitness targets, play to some core team rules and then have a sensible crack at playing their best quality entertaining footy.

If they can achieve this regularly, then things will hopefully fall into place.

Previously the team was only allowed to play to Rocket's measure of performance. Can you image the rampant, maverick style of play that Jason Akermanis takes on the field, allowed in a Rodney Eade team?

If Roosy has an "Aker" or a "Dermot" or even someone like a Paul (Mega-Star) Medhurst in his team, he will find him.

jude_boltons_babe
22nd January 2003, 12:22 PM
id have to say adam goodes but after seeing jason ball being really fit id say he would have a good year as well

22nd January 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe
id have to say adam goodes but after seeing jason ball being really fit id say he would have a good year as well

I'm definitely hoping for that jabber

robbieando
22nd January 2003, 07:58 PM
Jason Ball MUST say clear of injuries this year because with very few ruckman to back him up he becomes a very important player in the team.

Bron
22nd January 2003, 08:24 PM
He looked really good yesterday.

Dpw
22nd January 2003, 08:24 PM
Jason Ball MUST say clear of injuries this year because with very few ruckman to back him up he becomes a very important player in the team.

I think your right. At Westcoast he literally broke down once a month, Iam hoping the softer East coast ground will help with this problem.

I wish jason ball all the best, and if dosen't work out Iam sure Swan Districts will take him back.

Cheer Cheer
22nd January 2003, 08:31 PM
No ifs or buts about it , robbie is right, with a fit and firing ball in the team he could be the difference in a few ladder positions , and thats no exaggeration

Rod_
22nd January 2003, 09:43 PM
Three from me.

Ryan O'keeffe
Ben Fixter
Steven Doyle

In that order

Jude4eva
23rd January 2003, 04:44 PM
well i would say who i want to improve this year but unfortuantely the list who be extremely long and there would be a common theme of the players.... But no1 on my list to improve is none other then Jude Bolton

TheMase
23rd January 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jude4eva
well i would say who i want to improve this year but unfortuantely the list who be extremely long and there would be a common theme of the players.... But no1 on my list to improve is none other then Jude Bolton

He would wanna improve. If he doesn't he's GORRRNNN.

Charlie
23rd January 2003, 05:51 PM
Nearly the entire team has improvement in them, however I'll be focusing on 5 young players who have been blooded now, and are on the verge of becoming stars. Tadhg Kennelly, Ben Fixter, Ryan O'Keefe, Stephen Doyle and Scott Stevens.

Ajn
25th January 2003, 01:44 PM
We have a full side of potential stars, plus substitiutes. Season looks good according to us experts!

Cheer Cheer
25th January 2003, 08:10 PM
Putting my redandwhite glasses aside for a moment, I still believe that we can be top 6 and be a force to be reckoned with this year, rebuilding or not
Thus my sig .

desredandwhite
25th January 2003, 08:45 PM
While I honestly believe we can challenge for the 8, I think many many things will have to go our way before we get any higher than 7th or 8th!

6th would mean a huge amount of luck with injuries, as well as some "lucky" injuries to other sides' key players ;-)

Dpw
25th January 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Putting my redandwhite glasses aside for a moment, I still believe that we can be top 6 and be a force to be reckoned with this year, rebuilding or not
Thus my sig .

I think your glasses are still on. Des, was right at best 8th most likely 12- 8 somewhere, to many variables to go our way for 6th.

However we can all but dream and football is funny game.

Ajn
25th January 2003, 09:16 PM
Refusing to take "red and white glasses" off!
The sides progress next year is dependant upon players afore mentioned stepping up and if they do then don't be suprised if we finish in a higher ladder position than many here will predict. I rate us better than Colingwood and hence believe that with the luck that deserted us last year we could be there! add one goal to each score last year and we would have been top 3. Keep your eyes peeled.

Dpw
25th January 2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ajn
Refusing to take "red and white glasses" off!
The sides progress next year is dependant upon players afore mentioned stepping up and if they do then don't be suprised if we finish in a higher ladder position than many here will predict. I rate us better than Colingwood and hence believe that with the luck that deserted us last year we could be there! add one goal to each score last year and we would have been top 3. Keep your eyes peeled.

I was'nt attacking you personally, but my friend you have to many "If's" and adding one goal is a big maybe.

Just look at the Dockers they missed the finals in there first year by a average of one goal a game and look at them. Stats etc can say whatever you like but the results are always the results.

chammond
25th January 2003, 10:30 PM
I think your glasses are still on. Des, was right at best 8th most likely 12- 8 somewhere, to many variables to go our way for 6th.

So who are the six teams who are definitely better than the Swans?

Brisbane? Yes
Port Adelaide? Probably
Adelaide? Maybe
Collingwood??
Melbourne??
West Coast??
Kangaroos??
Essendon??

As far as I can see, there are only 3 teams who clearly have a better squad than us, and we'd have a fighting chance against any side except Brisbane.

So given even luck, why couldn't we finish in the top six?

Charlie
26th January 2003, 08:11 AM
A top 4 position is a remote (stress: remote) possibility, but it is a possibility.

I'm refusing to get my hopes up though for this season. We could pull a Baby Bombers and steal a premiership, or we could come stone motherless last. I just don't know.

Dpw
26th January 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by chammond
So who are the six teams who are definitely better than the Swans?

Brisbane? Yes
Port Adelaide? Probably
Adelaide? Maybe
Collingwood??
Melbourne??
West Coast??
Kangaroos??
Essendon??

As far as I can see, there are only 3 teams who clearly have a better squad than us, and we'd have a fighting chance against any side except Brisbane.

So given even luck, why couldn't we finish in the top six?

Brisbane Yes
PA Yes
Adelaide Yes
Collingwood Yes
Melbourne No
Westcoast Yes
Kangroos No
Essendon Yes

Based on no Injurys etc
But please don't get me wrong I would love us in the six or higher It's just I think we should be more realistic is all. These kids need one more year or more and the older guys will be relied upon alot. I also have concerns on our depth and players like Jason Ball, who i really like but I have seen his whole career at swan districts and westcoast(my wife is a big fan) and he is very up and down and injury prone.

CureTheSane
26th January 2003, 01:02 PM
Well put Cliff.
I agree... and more.
The Swans have their destiny in their own hands every season.
Sure injuries play a part, and have with us for the last few seasons, but they affect every team.
Most teams work through the season in spurts of form.
And I believe that form is lagrely controllable.
Essendon have been able to contol it, as have Brisbane etc.
If the preparation is better than the other teams, and the desire is more feirce than the other teams, anything can happen.

That's how Collingwood made the 8 last year.
I'd be surprised if they finish top 4 and I don't even think they'll make the 8 this year.

I only know one way to support and that's with the biggest expectations every year.
unfortunately this leads to the biggest let downs lol

This year, we CAN win the flag.
If you don't believe that there isn't a glimmer of hope, I don't know how you'll be able to follow the team all year....

Cheer Cheer
26th January 2003, 02:07 PM
Thankyou for the support those who did.
Top 6 is definately a realistic aim.

Ajn
26th January 2003, 02:13 PM
Expectations are nothing to hide from and anyone who believes Collingwood and west coast have a better list, than us, are dreaming. Both will struggle to match their result from last year, whereas sides like Richmond and Geelong will raise the bar on last year.

The nature of the competition has 3 sides that will most likely finish top and 3 that will finish bottom. On form we easily make into the 4-12 range, it may be good for us and it may be not, but we'll support them to beat ALL who come before us!

Cheer Cheer
26th January 2003, 02:17 PM
Yep

jude_boltons_babe
26th January 2003, 04:31 PM
i think the whole team will tgo excellent but i want adam and micky and jude to go well

robbieando
26th January 2003, 08:36 PM
Look I think our major problem will be a lack of depth and quality in our midfield. While it has improved in the last year, I still think it isn't good enough to have us challange for a Top 6 spot. I think we could make the finals if we get lucky with injuries and improved form of some players. But we have alot of young players who will use the year to find their footing in this league and so come 2004 and beyond we will have a side to push for greater success. Having said that we will surprise everyone who has tipped us for the wooden spoon

Gunn
27th January 2003, 07:32 AM
I think our defense is probably more of a problem than our mid field. I think there is a possibility that our younger mid fielders will make improvement. We lack a good big CHB and a good big FB to counter the likes of Rocca, Carey Schwartze et al. I just don't see that we have the material on the list at the moment. Over the next couple of years some one may develop. We can rotate and double team to attempt to cover the problem but that just increases pressure on other areas of the defence. We desperately need a rock like Dunks who can take big contested marks, spoil and make plays. How many times have we seen Dunks make a timely mark or spoil when we were really threatened. Who has the talent, height and bulk to fill that roll week in and week out?

Until we get the defence right we can't sustain a challenge to the top 4-6. To even get in the top 8-10 we will need a big improvement in the mid field which will take pressure off the defense.

I hope that my opinion proves to be totally wrong.

Ajn
27th January 2003, 10:21 AM
The likes of those players are going with history, forwards of that type are now required to be more agile and quick. Schwarz has retired, Carey will be a distant reminder of himself and Rocca never kicks more than 2 goals against us.

Reggi
27th January 2003, 10:44 AM
Amon Buchanon is in a fair amount of trouble.

His poor running is the cause of most of his problems and an interupted pre-season will cause a fair amount of trouble.

He was lucky to get another season.

Most of our younger guys have scope to improve through bulking up etc.

The ones that need to are

Ablett
S Stevens
O'Keefe

Does anyone know if S Stevens has bulked up?

Very important for Sdyney that Bolton, Fosdike, Saddington, Doyle and Goodes mature as players.

Fixter, Kennelly look to have some scope for improvement.

LRT will also hopefully push for a senior game.

robbieando
27th January 2003, 06:46 PM
Losing Dunkley hurts the defence sure, but just remember our defence in 2001 was the 2nd best in the league during the home and away season and last year it held up pretty well with all the close losses we had. Remember the midfield takes the pressure off a defence if its any good. Players will improve but that takes time. I still think we a 2 midfielders short of a good team, McVeigh should fill one of these spots, the other will need to be looked at at the end of this season.

The defence this season could be very good. Remember even though we lost Dunks we will replace him with Schauble to start with who played most of last season up forward and hopefully have LRT come on.

liz
27th January 2003, 07:46 PM
The defence this season could be very good. Remember even though we lost Dunks we will replace him with Schauble to start with who played most of last season up forward and hopefully have LRT come on.

Schauble had a few stints up forward last year, sure, but I wouldn't say he played most of the season there.

I think some are underestimating the impact of Dunk's loss. Even last year he played some fantastic games and stood up when it looked like no-one else would. He is just about the best marking defender I have seen play, from any club.

Of course he is replaceable - any player is - but it won't be a breeze. I can see the defence looking pretty fragile at times this season unless LRT (or James) becomes a miracle saviour.

robbieando
28th January 2003, 02:54 AM
Not saying Dunks can be replaced just saying that as a whole we really don't lose much with Schauble and LRT fighting for the FB spot. However the other defenders have to stand up

TheHood
28th January 2003, 07:59 AM
No doubting the magnificent marking power of Dunks. I have to agree with Lizz about his hero factor, most recently when I think back to the Saints game at the SCG last year. Dunks took the most telling mark right at the end when the pressure was unbelievable.

I would say that Dunks had a few well heralded weaknesses too and I think that our bounce off half/full back may improve greatly. We always needed a rover cutting behind Dunks for the handball - this takes a potential target away. We might find ourselved now able to kick long immediately or at least get a short target forward of the ball.

I will personally miss Dunks bringing those attacking missiles down to the ground and coming up looking like he'd just been through the washer/dryer, always looking to milk the free, it was cunning and entertaining.

jude_boltons_babe
28th January 2003, 01:20 PM
id have to say i think the swans will have a good year under paul roos they love his style of play

TheMase
28th January 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe
id have to say

You really don't.

28th January 2003, 03:24 PM
He he he :rolleyes: :D
Dunk's will be missed sorely. But I still think our defense will benefit from his leaving. A faster rebound style of play will come to the fore.

Still hoping Ball will be the big improver, and Goodes will continue his latter half of the 2002 season.

Cheer Cheer
28th January 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by TheHood

I would say that Dunks had a few well heralded weaknesses too and I think that our bounce off half/full back may improve greatly. We always needed a rover cutting behind Dunks for the handball - this takes a potential target away. We might find ourselved now able to kick long immediately or at least get a short target forward of the ball.

Of all the downsides to dunks missing, this is a very good point, as a potential improvement in the moving the ball from our backline. Well said hood. Totally agree.

Gunn
29th January 2003, 03:31 PM
There is precious little 'rebound' when the opposition FF has marked the ball 30 metres out and is having a shot. :-(

The ball has to be first marked or spoiled so as the to deny the opposition forwards a direct shot and so as to allow the defending team to have the chance of rebounding out of defense.

Dunks has never been fast and was getting very slow in his last 4 years. He looked very vulnerable on the big MCG but he was the best we had. Dunks was also 5 cm or so too short but he was still mostly able to spoil. Despite Dunks' shortcomings I just don't think we have anyone at the moment to replace him. We have taller replacements. We have faster replacements. We just don't have anyone who can stand at the base of a forming pack and take a grab or spoil whilst bravely ignoring the likelihood of being crunched.

snajik
29th January 2003, 04:02 PM
Kirk
Seymour
McPherson
Fixter
O'Keefe
O'Loughlin
Doyle

I can't be more specific than that.

29th January 2003, 06:49 PM
You just can't see the light can u Gunnybear.

Saddington has apparantly bulked up. He could be the answer. James might be another option. Too soon to say, but the writting is there for a good future script.

Ajn
29th January 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Juicy
He he he :rolleyes: :D
Dunk's will be missed sorely. But I still think our defense will benefit from his leaving. A faster rebound style of play will come to the fore.

It's hard to admit, but it's true...Seeing him call in defenders to cover his man was happening far too often! However the marking options on kick outs will be a concern, his ability to pack mark never faded.

swan_song
30th January 2003, 03:18 PM
Im looking for Nick Davis as a big improver (he'd need to be IMO), Barry Hall to keep his temper tempered; adam goodes to contiue to improve; as well as Tadgh, and hopefully MickyO get back to his best...and Nicksie... Really, the whole team, but especially those guys...

ugg
26th September 2005, 06:07 PM
Keeping in mind this was posted early 2003.

Originally posted by Ajn
My personal favourite is Amon Buchanan too make the biggest jump to become a Peter Bell type ball magnet. Watching him at Port last year I noticed his ability to shake off opponents and continue running. It is a rare skill that Robert Harvey has also that requires powerful leg strength. Look for it when season approaches!

well spotted, even if Amon was delisted at the end of that season :)