replaced:

Leo Barry
Daryn Cresswell
Stephen Doyle
Andrew Schauble
Adam Schneider
Brad Seymour
Scott Stevens

Remember that was our scratch team last year (Magic and Ball were out for a start).

I can't draw any conclusions but it was a very different game with a very different result.

stellation
13th June 2004, 06:24 PM
If only we still had Brad Seymour!

Captain
13th June 2004, 06:26 PM
This is obviously a big reason why we didn't win.

It was obvious from the start that those in the team were inexperienced and nowhere near the class of some of those listed below.

Goodes and Davis may as well be added to the list. It's almost that playing with their injuries is more of a liability for us.

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:28 PM
it is why we lost in a way they are new to the game these young players in time they will get better.

( they better)

Charlie
13th June 2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by stellation
If only we still had Brad Seymour!

Not sure what was going on there... he was on and off the bench all day!

;)

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 06:30 PM
The key difference in terms of personnel was Schauble. This meant that Goodes had to play in defence and we lost his drive around the ground.

Last year we lost Doyle fairly early through injury.

Cressa was also a key difference.

Normally I would say Barry was important too, although I don't recall he was more than just solid last year.

Undoubtedly personnel was a factor, but not 14-15 goals worth!!

Go Swannies
13th June 2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Undoubtedly personnel was a factor, but not 14-15 goals worth!!

For the Swans, somehow it is even if it's not obvious. It seems that if there is any reason that we don't have Goodes roaming and the Swans getting the drive out of defence through Tiger and Leo then the whole team just doesn't work.

The few weeks this year when we played flat footy and lost we didn't have that happening. Today, as you say, we had Goodes on Tredrea for quite a while - and it would seem to make sense - but the whole team was flat. And no Leo - so Tiger was left to make the running by himself - and he did okay in the 4th when Port fell off the pace. Yes, the newbies made mistakes but the whole manning up, etc just didn't happen. It seems that we'd be better bringing forwards into defence than changing that basic structure of Goodes/Tiger and Leo.

Did you note that Port had studied the Cats-Swans tape too? But our error level hardly made it necessary.

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
For the Swans, somehow it is even if it's not obvious. It seems that if there is any reason that we don't have Goodes roaming and the Swans getting the drive out of defence through Tiger and Leo then the whole team just doesn't work.

Yep - you're spot on here, which is a major worry.

sharpie
13th June 2004, 07:12 PM
Normally I would say Barry was important too, although I don't recall he was more than just solid last year.

I think you are forgetting Leo's influence all of last year. Many considered he was unlucky to miss out on All-Australian selection for a HBF. His drive out of defense, along with Kennelly's, was the starting point for our success last year. Now you are only looking at his games in the last few weeks when he has been forced to play as a key defender.

Put him in the side alone, and we had someone to take Tredrea. Put him in the side along with Schauble, and our attacking defense becomes one of our greatest assets.

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 07:40 PM
I agree in general, however I don't recall his drive from last year's game quite as critical as normal.

Go Swannies
13th June 2004, 08:06 PM
I agree in general, however I don't recall his drive from last year's game quite as critical as normal.

To some extent he didn't need to - Goodes was putting on the show of a lifetime. And Leo did some great spoils and a few rebounds.

liz
13th June 2004, 08:44 PM

My memory of the Port final is that Leo was sensational. Goodes and Hall were clearly the best, Kirk probably next but with Leo not far behind. And yes, I have watched the tape many times to remind myself - the most recent time two days ago - so it is not a distant memory.

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 08:58 PM
Oh well - maybe he was great, but I still don't think that excuses the pathetic performance today.

footyhead
15th June 2004, 08:29 AM
hear hear