PDA

View Full Version : Scooter will he ever get a chance?

gloveski
29th June 2004, 06:54 PM
With our injury list slowly diminishing it will be interesting to see if Mcglone ever gets a crack at senoir footy .He is currently on the senoir list and I fear if he doesn't get a run in the next 2 weeks we may never see him.Surely 45 possesions in the reserves deserves at least one crack at the big time.

With schneids coming back in I would love to see Roosy take the punt and give scooter a run this week aswell.But who would he drop?

C'mon Roosy please put my curiousity to rest

Dpw
29th June 2004, 07:29 PM
Easy, good night mr Ablett surely Roos and co have seen enough of him this year, not one hardball get from his 15 odd touches even if its just for a fornight then they can return the blessed Ablett in seniors if they like.

gloveski
29th June 2004, 09:49 PM
Maybe we should get everyone to send an email to ask Roosy on the swans part of the AFL website asking when Mcglone is going to get a game in the ones.

liz
29th June 2004, 10:06 PM
Sure, 45 possessions is a huge effort, but you have to put it in the context of Weston Creek being the weakest team in the Canberra league by a fair margin, judging by their results.

And while McGlone has been consistently listed in the best this season (and last) his name has been absent the last couple of weeks - ever since he was promoted, in fact. The last reserves game I watched (the one before the Saints game) he wasn't very prominent, though he did look classy when he got the ball.

If he is going to come in it would probably be at the expense of McVeigh because the team can probably not afford to "carry" two lightly built, inexperienced midfielders unless injuries dictate that they have to. Whatever people think of Ablett, he at least has a much stronger body that enables him to play for longer periods in the thick of the action, as he did to reasonable effect against Collingwood.

gloveski
29th June 2004, 10:31 PM
Surely Lizz you would have to agree if he is ever going to get a chance it has to be in the next few weeks this will be his third year on the Rookie list and he has recently been promoted, and with our injury list starting to dwindle (touch wood) it's now or never.

For what it's worth I have sent an email to "Ask Roosy" would love for a few more people to ask the same question surely weight of numbers will get some sort of response.

Another good question for Roosy would be to ask him has he ever visted RedAndWhiteOnline.

Imagine the response if he posted in here:)

liz
29th June 2004, 10:53 PM
Don't disagree with your conclusion Gloveski - just think that McVeigh is the most obvious to make way, especially (as you point out) with the injury list dwindling.

I suspect it depends on the balance Roos wants to strike between giving a go, however, brief, to every player he wants to see at senior level with an eye to the longer term list, versus putting the best possible team out there each week.

McVeigh is probably a more certain long term option but his place on the list is not in doubt. And while he's contributing something out on the ground, he's not doing enough to suggest the team would be that much weaker in the short term if McGlone were there instead (though if you were picking purely on merit I reckon McVeigh would get the nod). And then you have to consider the need to give the cream of your youngsters the most games you can to accelerate their development into really good players.

On the other hand, Bevan and Schneider show that even the senior coach can be surprised by what a fairly lowly rated youngster can do when thrown in at the deep end. Maybe McGlone could do the same, who knows?

Jeffers1984
29th June 2004, 11:26 PM
Roosy also said that he would also look at bringing Dempster in for a couple of games this season, so i dunno if or when that could happen with everybody coming back from injury.

Rob-bloods
30th June 2004, 11:39 AM
I love the positive vibe here, that we will incur no MORE injuries!

Our record for losing players during a game is dismal this season, and we had a week off to ease the burden....

Let's hope we do have no more injuries and Mcglone and Dempster get a run too!

Ruck'n'Roll
30th June 2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by lizz
The last reserves game I watched (the one before the Saints game) he wasn't very prominent, though he did look classy when he got the ball.

On the other hand I never saw McVeigh blow a game apart at ACT level either.
45 posessions at any level is still 45 posessions.