PDA

View Full Version : Magic

motorace_182
3rd July 2004, 06:57 PM
He is sooo out of form at the moment. He continues to drop the most basic of marks at the moment and seems at times to be placing himself in wrong positions. He may have kicked a few decent goals when it counted which is obviously what you want out of him, but gees he could be doin a lot better. When he finds his touch he is a genuine freak, but at the moment he needs to find that.

Barry Schneider
3rd July 2004, 07:00 PM
He dropped a sitter but I think he is valuable in his current form and will get better.How about that free kick he "gave away "when he was grabbed.Fair dinkum.

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 07:11 PM
Can't agree with you Motorace.... he has been on and off all season with injury.

Although he did drop that mark today, he made up for it with his assistance and goals. Our forward line is more potent with Magic there, and will be even better when Davis is back.

Margie
3rd July 2004, 07:36 PM
Even when he's "off" Mickey is better than most. With players like him, expectations tend to be higher and people can lose sight of just how good he really is. He can turn a game.

RogueSwan
3rd July 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by motorace_182
He is sooo out of form at the moment. He continues to drop the most basic of marks at the moment and seems at times to be placing himself in wrong positions.

Isn't that more a case of bad delivery? He makes a lead but the delivery is not that crash hot.

dendol
3rd July 2004, 09:27 PM
cant agree with you, motorace. Watching him today, I thought he was ok, despite having a quiet one. He dropped sitters, but so did Kouta. Someone mentioned that the wind very strong and swirly, which makes overhead marking a little bit harder. And when Bazza is on fire and demanding the ball, not many other forwards will get a look in!

I dont think you can say he is out of form from one bad game (which I dont think it was). He played very well against the Pies last week, and kicked the match-winning goal.

And in the 8 games hes played for us this year, we've won 6 of those. In the 6 games he hasnt played, we've lost 4. Useless stat?

dimelb
3rd July 2004, 09:36 PM
I opened this thread expecting accolades for what Mick has been able to do with limited opportunities. I still think that - his outstanding pack mark and goal, and that appalling ump decision when he was dragged off the ball and should have kicked for another...he's doing OK, better than OK, and I think will get better. A fine player.

motorace_182
3rd July 2004, 09:46 PM
Im not implying that he has to be dropped, he is still one of our most potent in attack, even when out of sorts, but he still a long way from the form he showed over recent seasons, eg vs Lions last season. He dropped at least 2 marks that were relatively uncontested and he did it again last week, with a few simple chest marks going to ground. I dont think you can question the delivery, it has improved out of sight in recent months as compared to what it used to be. You just know he has a lot more stored away and when he finds that, we will be the better for it. Hes form may make the difference between a successful September or making up the numbers.

swansrule100
5th July 2004, 09:21 PM
magic has always been up and down... he seems to need an early goal to get going..... hes either a superstar or not quite in the match

i think with magic you take the good with the bad.. ive learnt too over the years because he gives you good more often than not and his good is brilliant

Charlie
5th July 2004, 09:55 PM
Five goals in two weeks isn't too bad.

Extend that over a season and it's 55 goals. If Micky kicked that, we'd be complaining about how underrated he is.

NMWBloods
5th July 2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Isn't that more a case of bad delivery? He makes a lead but the delivery is not that crash hot.

He actually dropped two marks and in both cases the delivery was fine - it simply slipped though his fingers.

NMWBloods
5th July 2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
magic has always been up and down... he seems to need an early goal to get going..... hes either a superstar or not quite in the match

i think with magic you take the good with the bad.. ive learnt too over the years because he gives you good more often than not and his good is brilliant

Yep - I think this is a pretty astute observation of Magic!

dread and might
5th July 2004, 10:04 PM
he did drop a few, but so did others. last season in the home and away IIRC tarrant had kicked 42 goals, from 22 games, magic had kicked 41 and missed 7 games.....

he continues to present throughout, but he will get better this season if he stays on the park.

swansrule100
5th July 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Yep - I think this is a pretty astute observation of Magic!

i feel like it validates what i say if u agree with it.... that sounds sarcastic but i mean it :P

liz
5th July 2004, 10:23 PM
Magic is a player who can turn a game with a handful of touches. Many Collingwood supporters rated Clement as their most in-form player going into last week's match and rated him as their best after the game. Yet O'Loughlin still kicked 3 goals - admittedly the last after Clement had been moved off him - and helped set up another couple.

He played an important role in the St Kilda win and kicked another two major yesterday. He was absent from the only other game in the past month, the Port game.

Given that we know he is struggling with his knees and doesn't have a solid fitness foundation under him at the moment, that would seem like a pretty fair effort to me.:rolleyes:

BAM_BAM
5th July 2004, 11:06 PM
I think in the past he has admitted to being a confidence player. A couple of early touches and goals and his confidence lifts, things don't go so well and he'll keep presenting, but the mind starts to wonder can he take that grab or make the lead work, kick that tight angle and that's when things seem to unravel.

He's a very big talent doing the best with a tired body. I live for the days he has the ball on a string.

TheHood
5th July 2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I think in the past he has admitted to being a confidence player. A couple of early touches and goals and his confidence lifts, things don't go so well and he'll keep presenting, but the mind starts to wonder can he take that grab or make the lead work, kick that tight angle and that's when things seem to unravel.

He's a very big talent doing the best with a tired body. I live for the days he has the ball on a string.

Speaking of strings, did anyone cringe like me when the ball was delivered to Mick's feet and he did bend for it stiff legged. I was just waiting for a Hammy. Seriously, I thought, please dont send the nut to his toes!!

swansrule100
5th July 2004, 11:33 PM
mickys legs look like they could snap in half at any moment

he deserves to have number 19 michael oloughlin called out to collect a premiership medal tho

Chubby Muffler
6th July 2004, 09:19 AM
Mick can be one of the most frustrating players to watch throughout the year. He will often miss kicks - ones he really should kick. This can drive you insane as often he will get into places only Mick can, then miss. On the other hand, he will sometimes be running at pace and pull off and absolute blinder - over the shoulder or an impossible angle - and lift the whole side. Therein lies the magic of Mick, when he is on, boy is he ON!

He did miss a couple of marks on the weekend, but generally I reckon his marking is one of his stronger points. In fact, it's only his kicking, positional play, attitude and hammys that let him down. :D

Ruck'n'Roll
6th July 2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by lizz

Given that we know he is struggling with his knees and doesn't have a solid fitness foundation under him at the moment, that would seem like a pretty fair effort to me.:rolleyes:

I suspect his knees, hammies etc are so chronicly bad that he'll never get a full pre-season. We have seen the best of him and it was wonderfull.
We need another big body up forward so Magic can spend his days in a pocket away from monster fullbacks.
At this time of year the arthritis is getting to me ~ god knows what poor Magic will suffer when he reaches middle age.

Snowy
6th July 2004, 12:30 PM
Strange thing about him is that he is often taking the harder marks, and ones which others will struggle with, exhibiting strong hands in the process but missing some of the sitters.

footyhead
6th July 2004, 12:32 PM
he's always done that