PDA

View Full Version : Mcglone,Mcglone,Mcglone

footyhead
5th July 2004, 05:25 AM
This kid must be given a game this week. It will be a heart breaking trdgedy for him if he is not. He has been on the BOG for the reserves for the better part of 2 seasones now, and with back to back possession high 45 touches, If he does not get a run this week then there is somthing very wrong within the Swans player managment.
If I were an up and comming player, the Swans list would be the last I would want to be rookied to , if a guy like Scooter can not get 1 little shot at the seniors. :mad:

Sid
5th July 2004, 10:46 AM
As i said on bigfooty, its not easy to kick someone out to make space for him, especially with schneider, fosdike, davis, schaubs coming back.

Ruck'n'Roll
5th July 2004, 10:49 AM
Schneider really should have a game in the reserves, he played like Derek Kickett in his ealiest Swans games (I meant the puffing and blowing not the enormous moustache and beer gut).

Particularly as McGlone scorched for again in the two's

undy
5th July 2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ruckman
Schneider really should have a game in the reserves, he played like Derek Kickett in his ealiest Swans games (I meant the puffing and blowing not the enormous moustache and beer gut).

Maybe Roosy is saving McGlone to be our secret finals weapon.

BAM_BAM
5th July 2004, 02:39 PM

couldn't hurt.

Schneidergirl
5th July 2004, 02:51 PM
Don't agree with the Schneider comment.

I know he was huffing and puffing a little after his "I had eyes on the ball" comment/free but I really think he did alright after a 8 week break. IMO he'd be wasted in the 2s.

I'm not going to go on, just think you're being too critical of him after his first game back.

C'mon let me have it.....

liz
5th July 2004, 02:56 PM
He should never have been chosen yesterday. His mind was playing as it normally does but his body half a second behind. If he was going to come back straight into the seniors without any reserves games under his belt he should at least have concentrated on just doing the basics correctly.

Whether it makes any sense to drop him back to the reserves for a game or two now is questionable. He clearly has too much class to be playing at that level but if it gives him the chance to run around and get mores kms in his legs it might be better in the medium term than giving him ten minute bursts off the bench in the senior team.

Ruck'n'Roll
5th July 2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl
IMO he'd be wasted in the 2s.

Whereas Schauble wouldn't be wasted in the 2s????????

I know he was huffing and puffing a little after his "I had eyes on the ball" comment/free but I really think he did alright after a 8 week break.

Rushing into the firsts after 8 weeks out is very unusual!

I felt more sorry for poor Scooter who had been burning in the two's and giving him a go would have been good.

This isn't the only selection I've thought odd this year.

C'mon let me have it.....

Well I'd hate to disappoint. :D

sharp9
5th July 2004, 03:44 PM
Have to say (in hindsight) that Mcglone or Thewlis should have played instead of Schneider. But, I guess, you just don't expect a bloke to lose tough like that...fumbling, bumbling, couldn'e keep his feet....except for that time he did....and missed an open goal from two metres!

He officially has the second year blues. The real pity is that he was just coming out of them (against Essendon) when the hammy went.

sharpie
5th July 2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
He officially has the second year blues.

You're kidding arent you? He's just come back from a long injury break. Surely you have to see how he goes over a good many weeks before you can judge about his "2nd year blues". He was simply lacking match fitness and touch, nothing more, nothing less.

SWANSBEST
5th July 2004, 04:34 PM
I was very surprised to see Schneider in the Firsts such a long lay off. He is a class player who badly lacks match fitness. Also he appears to have been grazing in a good paddock while laid up with injury. A 2 week stint in the Reserves wlile playing on the ball as a rover should bring him back to shape.

monopoly19
5th July 2004, 04:52 PM
I don't think Schneider should have come back into the seniors straight away after an 8 week break. He wasn't the fittest bloke before the break, imagine what he is like now. I don't think he has the 2nd year blues as someone pointed out (how can you have them when you've hardly played?) but I was extremely surprised to see him in the team on Saturday.

As for McGlone - get him in the team. I know we've got players coming back from injury etc, but how disheartening must it be for him after this long, and having performed so consistently (albeit at a lesser level) and not have been rewarded.

barry
5th July 2004, 05:36 PM
I think Roosy has entered finals preparation mode, where only those players who are going to make the best 22 will be given a game.
Its time to hone the team into the unit thats going to gell together in the finals.

Unfortunetly, unless there are major injuries, McGlone will have to wait for next year.

Schneidergirl
5th July 2004, 05:56 PM
Fair enough.... points taken.

Although I just want to say that Schaubs hasn't played all year and IMO he wasn't wasted in the 2s on the weekend... BOG.

NMWBloods
5th July 2004, 06:08 PM
Although I just want to say that Schaubs hasn't played all year and IMO he wasn't wasted in the 2s on the weekend... BOG.

Well, Schneider had only played 5 games, and why would he be wasted in the seconds?

Thunder Shaker
5th July 2004, 07:21 PM
My tip: McGlone will make his debut in a final.

Nico
5th July 2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
You're kidding arent you? He's just come back from a long injury break. Surely you have to see how he goes over a good many weeks before you can judge about his "2nd year blues". He was simply lacking match fitness and touch, nothing more, nothing less.

Good to see someone is talking sense Sharpie.

Anyone who has played the game would know that when you come back after a lengthy break your hands feel like wood. Second year blues my a***.

Maybe he should have had a game in the 2's but they obviously rate him very highly and when that happens they rarely come back via the 2's. Schaubes has come back via the 2's because he has had a long lay off, and his history says he takes a few to even get warm.

footyhead
5th July 2004, 07:59 PM
The thing is that Mcglone could be anything but if he is not played now or soon, there will be so much pressure on him and the team that we may never know what he is capable of even if he does get a consecutive run in the seniors.

footyhead
5th July 2004, 08:51 PM
2004 Profile - Scott McGlone
Guernsey No. - 39
Date Of Birth - 25/7/83
Height - 184 cm
Weight - 73 kg
Career Games - 0
Career Goals - 0
Recruited From - Bendigo U18

Originally snapped up by the Swans in the first round of the 2001 Rookie Draft, Scott McGlone was released at the end of 2003. Competition for places on the senior list was intense and AFL rules dictate that a player can only be retained as a rookie for two years at a time. However, it did not come as a surprise to see him re-drafted (again as a rookie) in December.

Scott is a hard-working midfielder with good skills but seemingly still a very light frame. He was one of the Swans' most consistent reserves players in 2003 and it was rare to see his name omitted from the list of best players, particularly in the second half of the season.

He was the Swans' leading goal kicker in the Canberra competition, (27 goals from 19 appearances) so he clearly knows where the big sticks are too.

There is most definitely a spot available for a skilful ball magnet in the coming years as the rejuvenation of the Swans' midfield continues. And the club clearly believes that McGlone has what it takes to play at senior AFL level - you don't redraft players, even onto the rookie list, if they stand no chance of progressing. However, one fancies that 2004 is the year when Scott has to prove that he is up to the task.

from red and whiteonline.com
Isn't it time ? One or two games ??

gloveski
5th July 2004, 09:01 PM
As I said last week If people feel he is overdue voice your opinion in the ask roosey section on the swans part on the AFL website as I have done, surely if he gets bombarded with enough questions regarding scooter one of us will get a reply.

Please Roosy just give the kid a try

swan_song
5th July 2004, 11:30 PM
Wow...after reading this thread it suddenly came to my mind why I don't post so much on here these days...the football knowledge range amongst the posters is just too, too vast -- and I mean from those who do know something about football, to those who clearly know nothing or just like to stir.
If Schneider was ready to play a full game again, where else would you play him? Send him to Wagga to play with and against a minor league team? I think not. We had this discussion years ago over whether paul kelly should return via the 2s, or plugger. In the days when there were genuine reserves teams, there may have been a case for it (gaining match fitness)...not these days. IMO there is no place better to regain match fitness and touch than in the real thing...providing that allowances are made and that you don't have the cyber football "experts" venting their venom...
Watch it Schneidergirl...looks like some on here have it in for you -- but then again, take it as a compliment...they're probably the same ones who've had it in for Kirk, Cressa, Leo, Ben, Jude, Paul, Tony, Wayne, Stewie, Willo....

Go Swannies
5th July 2004, 11:39 PM
Well Swan Song you must be firmly in the ranks of the "know nothings" - YOU LEFT SADDO OFF THE LIST. Or you really haven't been in here much this season.

It seems like there's more cyber venom against players this year - you certainly got that right. I often feel better if I don't come in here for a few days. I'd hate to see what gets posted if we ever start doing badly.

footyhead
6th July 2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by gloveski
As I said last week If people feel he is overdue voice your opinion in the ask roosey section on the swans part on the AFL website as I have done, surely if he gets bombarded with enough questions regarding scooter one of us will get a reply.

Please Roosy just give the kid a try

Good suggestion , I think I will take you up there.
:) :)

sharp9
6th July 2004, 10:08 AM
Geez, I must have missed something.

Is there an odfficial AFL site that demands that the ONLY acceptable definition of "2nd year blues" is that a player suddenly can't play well for no good reason.

Early in the year Schneids took a while to get into it coming back from injury. He looked lively but missed many goals he should have kicked (would have last year). His form was encouraging but (you must agree) not as good as last year. there were glimpses.

Against Essendon he, finally, started to play as well as last year...even better, actually as he was dominating (just a little) from the midfield. So we were all excited. (he missed goals he should have kicked in that game too...although he did get his first one for the year that made the AFL highlights reel).

Then he did his hammy and is out for 6 weeks. When he comes back he can barely run, barely pick up or mark a ball with (as you rightly point out) two pieces of wood for hands...and then he misses an open goal from two metres away.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (as you also point out)...that's to be expected coming back from a long lay off with no reserves games.

So 14 rounds into the season he has got on the field 6 times for 8 goals, and has dominated about 2 Quarters of football.

The reasons are not at all relevant to the fact that his 2nd year outcomes are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind his first year ones.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But it is known as the 2nd year blues.

Go Swannies
6th July 2004, 10:32 AM
So if he was out injured all season that'd be second year blues too? What year of blues did Heath James get up to then?

I'd say it's fair to say that Adam Goodes - before and after injury had post-Brownlow blues. But Schneider??

footyhead
6th July 2004, 11:31 AM
Look I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about the definition of "second year blues".
It is important to the balance and volition of this team that those who have worked diligently enough and shown exceptional talent and skill , should be rewarded.
On every count Scott Mcglone has done this - so please those of you who agree, help me in demanding that Scott be given his rightfull shot at the title.
If they keep playing him in the 2oos now, and he goes through the inevitable process of a form slump(which all players do ), it will be a sad day for this club, cos the players will quickley get the message that it is the same old status-quo when it comes to the selection table. Remeber the criteria under Eade ??
Do you not see how important this is peoples???

Barry Schneider
6th July 2004, 11:55 AM
You've got me interested in this chap Mrs McGlone.I am going to watch the reserves to see if your judgement of your pride and joy is justified.:D

Bart
6th July 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
On every count Scott Mcglone has done this - so please those of you who agree, help me in demanding that Scott be given his rightfull shot at the title.

The day supporters DEMAND a say in team selection is the day this great game implodes. The most ardent RWOer's knowledge of McGlone could be published on a postage stamp compared to what our selectors see in every match, every training session and every one-on-one with him. Do selectors always get it right ? Of course not. However, don't confuse an interesting and lively discussion and your own football nous with a mandate for being able to demand so and so plays a game.

There are still some people walking around to this day who believe they appointed Paul Roos.

Go Swannies
6th July 2004, 11:59 AM
No-one can say that Roos has not given several kids a good try this season. So can anyone tell me the reason why not Mcglone? There will be a reason and I wonder what it it if he's playing as well as we hear?

And Heath James is only not playing because he's injured, isn't he?

Ruck'n'Roll
6th July 2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies

And Heath James is only not playing because he's injured, isn't he?

He's been in the reserves best the last couple of weeks.

footyhead
6th July 2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
So can anyone tell me the reason why not Mcglone? There will be a reason and I wonder what it it if he's playing as well as we hear?

The reason apparently has been that they (selectors have felt that his build is not yet up to AFL standard, that he might get "knocked" around ).
But the fact that he is out-playing all and sundry who play with him and against him in the reserves (including senior players), and the fact he has been consistent over 2 seasons means that perhaps this "query" could be over-looked.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th July 2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Bart
There are still some people walking around to this day who believe they appointed Paul Roos.

Do you feel the fans had not influence on the Wallce/Roos thing?

Bart
6th July 2004, 12:22 PM
Do you feel the fans had not influence on the Wallce/Roos thing?

I don't feel so. I do acknowledge that the club may have been surprised by the depth of passion form their supporters. But I would hate to think for a second that an arduous process that would select the best man for the job was compromised by emotion in any way. Emotion and footy should be mutually exclusive, hey ? ;)

dendol
6th July 2004, 02:15 PM
how is scooter's disposal like? I dont know anything about the kid so was just wondering. With a slight frame, he sounds like an outside receiver. It would mean hes fighting for a spot with the likes of Fozzie, McVeigh and Ablett. Thewlis has also only had one game, as has Schneider. Which one of these will Roosy drop/demote for McGlone to be considered? Tough call.

Captain
6th July 2004, 02:19 PM
The reason apparently has been that they (selectors have felt that his build is not yet up to AFL standard, that he might get "knocked" around ).

Surely this isn't the reason.

They play McVeigh and he is a stick.

BAM_BAM
6th July 2004, 02:41 PM
I sent an email to ask Roosy last night asking what he thinks McGlone's chances of promotion are given his recent weeks performances.

I really rate Scooter. He has impressed me so much this year watching his play in the reserves. His disposal is usually pretty spot on. His shot at goal very accurate. (The other week in Martin Place for the promotional ticket give away his shot at the target had was good enough to win. From the shots I saw him had he rarely missed. Can't say the same for our star forwards who missed their shots when trying to win the box.)

He gets in under the packs and can crumb. Has good pace out of the backline. He's a very good utility player, but his build is slight. He'd be smaller than McVeigh. That would be the only thing I can see holding him back.

Schneider is a classy player and you do expect something when gets the ball. We won so whether playing him hurt us or not is a mute debate, but I would have preferred to see Scott have a go at it and Adam played in the 2's. Even if it was just for a week, to build up little more stamina

Red
6th July 2004, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's a rules thing. Is McGlone even allowed to be promoted to seniors with one rookie (Bevo) already playing there full-time?

Mark
6th July 2004, 03:45 PM

Is it the dog ? or uranus ?

Cheer Cheer
6th July 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I sent an email to ask Roosy last night asking what he thinks McGlone's chances of promotion are given his recent weeks performances.

Well it looks like you have been answered - go to the official swans website - "Ask roosy" ...your question is there...and has been answered!!

footyhead
6th July 2004, 04:30 PM
Warwick: I've noticed Scott McGlone has been having an outstanding few weeks in the seconds, is he far away from being given a chance in the Senior team?

Paul Roos: Scotty McGlone has probably been our most consistent player in the seconds all year. Although he did have a minor form-slump just after we promoted him to the senior list. He has just got to play good football and hopefully that will be rewarded with a chance to play in the senior team before the end of the year.

;)

Go Swannies
6th July 2004, 04:40 PM
Warwick: I've noticed Scott McGlone has been having an outstanding few weeks in the seconds, is he far away from being given a chance in the Senior team?

Paul Roos: Scotty McGlone has probably been our most consistent player in the seconds all year. Although he did have a minor form-slump just after we promoted him to the senior list. He has just got to play good football and hopefully that will be rewarded with a chance to play in the senior team before the end of the year.

;)

Aargh - my worst nightmares have been realised Paul Roos is channelling Footyhead. Or is it the other way around? Too scary. Alright, tell us what you've planned for Schauble on Saturday?

footyhead
6th July 2004, 04:49 PM
Schauble and Mcglone will both play seniors football this week, although mostly off the bench.
Surprisingly though Scooter will have more time on the feild, due mostly to his superior fitness...
It will be a successful game for both and the Swans in general.
The defeat of the plucky crows will reveal the potential answer to the questions still being asked about our midfield, diito our defence.

:) :D ;) :rolleyes:

Go Swannies
6th July 2004, 05:08 PM
Thank you - and I reckon you (whichever one you are) may be spot on. I don't think our defence can be questioned but midfield and forwards (and delivery into) can still be.

CureTheSane
6th July 2004, 08:20 PM
The day supporters DEMAND a say in team selection is the day this great game implodes. The most ardent RWOer's knowledge of McGlone could be published on a postage stamp compared to what our selectors see in every match, every training session and every one-on-one with him. Do selectors always get it right ? Of course not. However, don't confuse an interesting and lively discussion and your own football nous with a mandate for being able to demand so and so plays a game.

No, for those who are wondering, I do not use Bart as an alias :D
I am guessing though, that Bart is not a member of SSI lol

As for Scott, well, if he has 45 posessions two weeks in a row, one would think it would be hard not to bump a player to make room for him...

liz
6th July 2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Red
Maybe it's a rules thing. Is McGlone even allowed to be promoted to seniors with one rookie (Bevo) already playing there full-time?

McGlone has already been promoted to the senior list, as a replacement for either Sunny or Malceski. It was announced about a month ago.

Bart
7th July 2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
No, for those who are wondering, I do not use Bart as an alias :D
I am guessing though, that Bart is not a member of SSI lol

heh heh. Mate...there is a day looming in the medium term future when these deluded fools are going to crawl out from whatever rock they are currently living under and nominate one of their kind for a board position. My big fear is that they may get in, as most of our members are too apathetic to care.

CureTheSane
7th July 2004, 12:55 PM
:D

sharp9
7th July 2004, 08:25 PM
I've been wondering about this selection thing, too , Footyhead.

It seems to me that unless a player is really affecting the outcomes of games he is up for "rotation" to the seconds. This was happening to McVeigh, Ablett, Monty earlier in the year.

The problem for Scooter is that of the 22 who played last week, only one small/medium could now be considered an "either/or" player (McVeigh). Fixter, Bevan, Ablett, Schneider can't be dropped for a plyer who has not played before. Davis will come back in a week or two and then you will have a situation where Buchanan, Ablett, McVeigh, Fosdike, Thewlis and McGlone will be competing for ONE spot.

Cruel to leave any of those out as all have something nto offer.

Maybe Scooter should get his one game this week (for McVeigh) just to give him a taste.

Red
8th July 2004, 01:35 AM
Damn. Thanks Lizz :o

If that's the case then we're sure to see him this year sometime.