PDA

View Full Version : RWO - Contructive of Negative?

TheHood
15th July 2004, 10:16 AM
Read mainLine in Inside Footy!

I am of the opinion that RWO is more of a boredom cure than a community service tool.

There are some very negative thread writers and you know who you are and there are some very positive constructive contributors whos material I love reading.

RWO is one of the best behaved Messageboards going. We usually welcome all comers and encourage all opinions so long as they are considered and passionate.

Well Jim, you'll no doubt get around to reading this and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy your work.

My wife even bought your AFL For Dummies book. It's great for her, but I am getting sick of the debates it raises about what the philisophical difference is between a crumber and a goalsneak!

CureTheSane
15th July 2004, 10:34 AM
I haven't seen the article, but as a general rule I'd say that it's both.

And like you said, one of the best behaved message boards so that really answers your question.

I use the board as a source of information.
Well, not so much any more. I suppose now I use it to see other people's opinions of players , administration etc, good or bad.

footyhead
15th July 2004, 10:39 AM
CTS where do you get your info now ?

Wil
15th July 2004, 10:44 AM
No - it is a forum for registered people to talk about the Swans anyway they see fit - Nothing more, nothing less.

If anyone thinks anything more, then they are an idiot.

Just a quick edit to say that it is a bit more as it is a forum for the fans to organise things such as the cheer squad, seating, tickets and things like that. But everything else is just (or at least should be just) harmless fun.

TheHood
15th July 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Wil
No - it is a forum for registered people to talk about the Swans anyway they see fit - Nothing more, nothing less.

If anyone thinks anything more, then they are an idiot.

There is an interesting contradiction to this thread that is "David Brent funny".

Wil
15th July 2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
There is an interesting contradiction to this thread that is "David Brent funny".

He is a very smart man :D

(Sorry about the hijack)

midaro
15th July 2004, 01:18 PM
There are some very negative thread writers and you know who you are and there are some very positive constructive contributors whos material I love reading.

Ah, I hate that.
You assume that being 'positive' (shinny, happy, la la la) is constructive.

Let me tell you something; despite what you've heard, positive thinking has NO power. :(

My 82yo, life-long Swans supporting grand mother, thinks we're going to win the flag at the start of every season. She's been wrong now 70 years in a row.

In fact it's quite possibly the other way around, (although its debatable). Here's some information on depressive realism:
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/depressive-realism.htm
http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.cfm?term=Depressive%20Realism

Pessimist is what an optimist call a realist. ;)

Bart
15th July 2004, 01:31 PM
Read mainLine in Inside Footy!

I am of the opinion that RWO is more of a boredom cure than a community service tool.

What was said TheHood ?

CureTheSane
15th July 2004, 01:41 PM
footyhead, I rely on what is posted in the forum.
Now that the articles are all linked, I don't see them.
Maybe because I am lazy, maybe because I have a 56k modem
Maybe because it's a pain in the ass to have to track down the articles.
Not complaining, just saying how it is for me.

So I just get what I need from what people say here.
I came here for people's opionions anyway.
Haveing articles posted was a bonus.

TheHood
15th July 2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Bart
What was said TheHood ?

Jim teed off on what I think was Bigfooty for bagging Hirdy and doubting his courage etc

Then he said there is a Swans based Messageboard that he sometimes visits but dislikes because of excessively negative threads suggesting the trading of players, bagging players and coach. I guess Jim thinks it's unjustified and gives him the negative vibes.

As for you Midaro...you "hate" this and "hate" that and positive thinking has no power. Tell me about the forward "power" of negative thinking?

If the Swans are such a let down for you, why have you not moved on to another club? Do you enjoy wallowing in the negative?

anne
15th July 2004, 01:53 PM
I love this site. I use it for information, opinions and mainly as I feel I am talking to friends that I have something in common with.

stevej
15th July 2004, 02:10 PM
me to anne. exact same reasons for me. I've been reading this forum for ages and have just started to join in. Very informative and even though i don't agree with some posts its great to hear everyones opinion!!

Dpw
15th July 2004, 02:19 PM
Jim Main is entitled to his opinion but at the end of the day that is all it is.

BAM_BAM
15th July 2004, 02:42 PM
I don't like the negative threads, but this board is all about opinion and I'm open to reading what people wish to say. I've said before if the attacks become personal then that's where I think we should draw the line.

I love coming on here. I've met some new friends from being on here which I value above all else. For me it's some fun, hence I don't usually debate too much, not that I don't form strong opinions on some issues.

The article sounds typically like Jim and to be honest, he'd fit in really well here with his strong opinions and passion for the Swans and Aussie rules (and that's meant in a non negative way :) ) I usually only buy the mag for Mainline. Anything else that catches my eye is a bonus.

Wardy
15th July 2004, 02:43 PM
I enjoy this site - its the first one I go into when I get into the office of a morning - have a bit of a laugh - we get a bit passionate & sidetracked at times on certain topics but its fun.
I also find it gives me my daily footy fix so as I dont have to annoy my colleagues - who sadly none of them appreciate the joy that AFL brings.
We all have our opinions and on most we agree and on some we dont - thats what makes it so interesting.

Oh well, back to work!

Damien
15th July 2004, 04:49 PM
I really enjoy coming here, talking Swans is great fun!

I have to say that generally this is the best behaved forum that I visit.

Did someone say Jim Main didn't like our threads bagging the coach? What threads??? So many posters on this site are so pro Roos I feel like throwing up sometimes.

I think this site is pretty fair and while most of us are willing to have a fight, generally it rarely gets personal and we all love the swans.

Wardy
15th July 2004, 04:51 PM
Exactly Damien - well said.

Charlie
15th July 2004, 04:56 PM
This 'negative' and 'positive' stuff ends up going around in circles.

You start with stupidity. From there you go to mindless negativity, then constructive negativity until you get to balanced neutrality. From there, you head to constructive positivity and then mindless positivity. Before you know it, you're back at stupidity.

The middle three are what we should be aiming for, and it's what 80-90% of posters achieve.

DST
15th July 2004, 05:21 PM
Anyone remember our request for RWO's to write to the Melbourne office to voice our concerns over the number of games in Victoria and the lip service the club was paying to having it changed.

Since then we have a direct quote from Richard Colless about more games in Victoria and rumours that the Bulldogs have dropped their home game in Sydney in favour of Darwin.

Would suggest constructive is closer to the mark when talking about this site.

DST
:D

Charlie
15th July 2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by DST
Anyone remember our request for RWO's to write to the Melbourne office to voice our concerns over the number of games in Victoria and the lip service the club was paying to having it changed.

Since then we have a direct quote from Richard Colless about more games in Victoria and rumours that the Bulldogs have dropped their home game in Sydney in favour of Darwin.

Would suggest constructive is closer to the mark when talking about this site.

DST
:D

Don't forget Roosy saying that he'd like to play 8-9 games in Victoria!

RWO is one of a growing number of genuinely influential club boards going around.

ScottH
16th July 2004, 07:43 AM
Well lets stop bagging the players and coaches, and start bagging each other!!

Who should we trade off this site to another Site then???? :D

Wardy
16th July 2004, 07:45 AM
Morning Scott - a bit early for such shenanigans doint you think?

ScottH
16th July 2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Wardy
Morning Scott - a bit early for such shenanigans doint you think?

I'm just really tired!! ;)

Also I'm tired of people not being allowed to have opinions, coz it upsets others.

That is the whole point of a forum, is to express your opinion.

I read the papers for Facts(?) - which is not always the case.

And I read the forum to see what others, with a common goal, have to say. ( and usually more accurate facts).

But most of all, it is usually in good humour and gives me a laugh!!

There are some clowns on this site, who are good fun to read!

Wardy
16th July 2004, 08:28 AM
agreed - I get a great laugh out of it - and whilst some are serious, others are hilarious and thats what I like about the site - everyone has a say and we take it all on board (thats such an annoying corporate saying isnt it!)

Lovely day here in Sydney - off to Wagga tomorrow - was ever so tempted to dirve to Geelong on Sunday morning but I will just have to get back to Sydney in time to watch the game on the Teve instead!

Hope the weather holds in Geelong on Sunday.

Diego
16th July 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Don't forget Roosy saying that he'd like to play 8-9 games in Victoria!

RWO is one of a growing number of genuinely influential club boards going around.

oh gewd get over yourself. That is one of the stupidest and funniest things i have read on this board.

hahahahaha the board, plus the coach read RWO and it influences their final outcome.

hahahahahaha oh you give yourself more value than your worth, just like that useless piece of tin you call a medal. Even had the hide to put in the same sentence as the brownlow once.

:o

sharp9
16th July 2004, 11:33 AM
This 'negative' and 'positive' stuff ends up going around in circles.

You start with stupidity. From there you go to mindless negativity, then constructive negativity until you get to balanced neutrality. From there, you head to constructive positivity and then mindless positivity. Before you know it, you're back at stupidity.

The middle three are what we should be aiming for, and it's what 80-90% of posters achieve. Um, that's very good, Charlie. Damn!

sharp9
16th July 2004, 11:51 AM
I found the comment really, really strange.

He complains that posters criticise players. Huh? Why is it OK for journalists to criticise players, but not supporters?

More to the point on this forum the criticism of players tends to be along the lines of "he's not getting enough of the ball and his disposal is not as good as last year....he had four kicking errors in one half...needs to improve."

Please explain where the harm is in this, Jim.

You do not see (well, almost never) posters going after the players like you see on other sites........"Richo is a dead-set loser who is dragging the mighty Tigers down" etc, etc.

As for talk of players to be traded.

Again...huh?

It's OK for journalists to suggest that Ottens might benefit from a trade but it's not OK here? It's OK for journalists (and Paul Roos) to assess our list and say "we have plenty of good young midfielders but we are one top class Judd type away from really contending,".....but it's not OK for us to say that here?

Every year the papers assess teams and include a list that says "trade bait" and another that says "trade targets."

If I suggest that our captain played an entire game in the midfield for 9 possessions and ONE clearance and that we need more from him to contend.....does that make you disgusted with me? It seems that your skin is so thin where the Swans are concerned that any discussion about where we are not 100% is too much for you. I don't understand your attitude.

Please explain.

We are currently 7th with a percentage of 102. Obviously we have some things going right and some things not. We find it interesting to applaud the good (did you see how many posts here discussed/defended our style of play in the wake of ignorant journalist comment?) suggest the areas most in need of improvement and also to suggest possible remedies to the situation.

Can you believe that in the entire year only two senior players have been discussed for trade for reasons of form? (Saddington and Fosdike).

Saddington really put his hand up before his injury. Fossy will have his chance soon.

From where I sit we have not lost much from having a 100 game midielder replaced by Ablett, McVeigh, Thewlis and Fixter. Should I not say this out loud (even though YOU might well say it to a friend?)

Very dissappointed, Jim

Charlie
16th July 2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Diego
oh gewd get over yourself. That is one of the stupidest and funniest things i have read on this board.

hahahahaha the board, plus the coach read RWO and it influences their final outcome.

hahahahahaha oh you give yourself more value than your worth, just like that useless piece of tin you call a medal. Even had the hide to put in the same sentence as the brownlow once.

:o

Smile, Diego. :)

Speshall
18th July 2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by midaro
Ah, I hate that.
You assume that being 'positive' (shinny, happy, la la la) is constructive.

Let me tell you something; despite what you've heard, positive thinking has NO power. :(

My 82yo, life-long Swans supporting grand mother, thinks we're going to win the flag at the start of every season. She's been wrong now 70 years in a row.

In fact it's quite possibly the other way around, (although its debatable). Here's some information on depressive realism:
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/depressive-realism.htm
http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.cfm?term=Depressive%20Realism

Pessimist is what an optimist call a realist. ;)

Midaro, i remember one of your earlier 'cracks' about "crack". Just to let you know drugs never make you feel optimistic about anything. I wouldn't think a sad supporter base who mopes and whines all the time is exactly what the team wants everytime it runs out on the field.

Tooth Fairy
18th July 2004, 05:08 PM
Smile, Diego. :)
hehe nice one Charlie