PDA

View Full Version : Goodes & his bung knees

cressakel
19th July 2004, 01:43 PM
Adam Goodes must be rested immediately and not played for the next 3-4 games due to his bung knees and consequent loss of mobility.

With Goodes having dodgy injured knees, he is becoming a detriment to the backline and the team, as evidenced by the ball casually going past him after taking a very slight slideways bounce in the dying minutes of the game yesterday against the Cats, whereby Paul Chapman ran into an open goal, putting the Cats 9 points up and therefore sealing the game.

If Goodes had his normal mobility, he would have changed direction, collected the ball and cleared from defence, whereby we could have had a chance of rebounding and goaling to put the Swans back in front with at least 3-4 minutes left.

Adam Goodes is only playing in name only ( understandable due lost mobility ) from the player he was last year and is really playing like Ed Considine of the early Nineties. To put a nicer spin on things, he has to be rested for the next 3-4 weeks to see if the knee can improve and if not, played/propped in the Forward Pocket as a decoy to Hall, O'Loughlin, O'Keefe and Davis when he returns.

As Schauble has returned to the Backline and Bevan has effectively blanketed the opposition Forward Pocket/Half Forward, Goodes is not required down back at present, even more so with his ineffectiveness on contests.

Also, did anyone see that very very very very dodgy joke ridiculous free kick in front of goal to put the Cats in front with 10 minutes to go in the last quarter ??!!

As I was only 40 metres away from the incident behind the goals, all I witnessed was Leo Barry and the Geelong player, which I think was Steve Johnson from memory, running towards the ball from opposite angles and both legitimately knock the ball free after colliding in a fair hip and shoulder - next thing I know Johnson has the free for too high !! I thought the free was for behind the play and couldn't believe my eyes ( as demonstrated by a vitriolic outburst at the time ) that a joke of a decision from a Moron umpire could ruin the Swans chances of pulling off a great victory and shot at a home final !

footyhead
19th July 2004, 01:49 PM
Whats new ?
the umpires should err on the side of not paying a free , but instead err on the side of adjudication and by so doing bring themselves into the game. Funny that ... they should be stopped from doing that. It is ruining the very subtle balance of the game.

swansrule100
19th July 2004, 03:23 PM
goodes should sit out the year if he needs to... prolong his career i dont want him to retire a few years too early cos he played on bad knees

Diego
19th July 2004, 03:54 PM
Goodes has been useless since he did his knee. We are not going to win the flag this year so whats the point of playing him? Have him rested and right for a powerful 2005 IMHO.

Imagine the long term damage he is doing atm running with two dicky knees? He should go chat to older players who have done their knees soo many times that these days they can hardly walk.

swansrule100
19th July 2004, 04:01 PM
agreed and ur little swan pic is awesome howd u get that?

Diego
19th July 2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks I drew it. :)

It suppose to me in me swans clobber!

Donners
19th July 2004, 04:15 PM
The stupid thing is that we're playing several unfit players - Goodes, Schneider, Schauble, Fosdike, etc, who aren't really contributing. You could carry one or two, but not four. Better to just give them a rest for a few weeks. There's no chance in hell of us going all the way, so why risk key players?

Diego
19th July 2004, 04:19 PM
b/c in friggen Sydney if you dont win u dont get crowds. Its a pathetic sitch we are in and one we shouldnt be in at all.

Same goes with re-building.

So Paul Roos is forced to play his stars in return for a healthy crowd. Sounds pathetic doesnt it.

Bart
19th July 2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Diego
So Paul Roos is forced to play his stars in return for a healthy crowd. Sounds pathetic doesnt it.

Ridiculous thing to say. To say someone like Roos (at the request of his superiors) would risk playing an injured player to pull fans through the gate really questions his integrity.

swansrule100
19th July 2004, 04:29 PM
Sydney Sporting fans can be fickle though :P

Ruck'n'Roll
19th July 2004, 04:30 PM
b/c in friggen Sydney if you dont win u dont get crowds. Its a pathetic sitch we are in and one we shouldnt be in at all.

Same goes with re-building.

B U L L S H I T !

What a load of rubbish. This isn't the eighties, the Swans are part of Sydney now. We'd suffer no greater drop in numbers than any other team.

Next thing you know you'll trot out the stupid old line about Chardonnay and Swans supporters complaining about the "Referee."

Last year Roosy told us not to expect the finals and the membership stayed SOLID.

sharpie
19th July 2004, 04:31 PM
Sydney being fickle more than any other team is bull****. They got 12,000 at the MCG yesterday for the Hawks game. It is all crap. Any team going badly will suffer small crowds. We are no different.

Diego
19th July 2004, 04:34 PM
Then why the **** play injured players?

Roos is a dumb man and I gave him more credit thatb his worth.

swansrule100
19th July 2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
Sydney being fickle more than any other team is bull****. They got 12,000 at the MCG yesterday for the Hawks game. It is all crap. Any team going badly will suffer small crowds. We are no different.

we are pretty low on the membership ladder be good if one day we had a % of NSW behind us to rival the % of SA the crows get

Diego
19th July 2004, 04:42 PM
Well only those that live and have lived in Sydney all their life will understand where I am coming from. As for you mexicans you are irrelavent in Sydney got it?

Thanks.

Ruck'n'Roll
19th July 2004, 04:47 PM

I doubt that there are any players in the afl that could be defined as uninjured.
Everyone plays hurt, how many ampules of painkiller did the lions use last grand final 30something. And yes I realise Kardinia Park wasn't a grand final, but if we only played unijured players we couldn't feild a team.

SWANSBEST
19th July 2004, 04:50 PM
Good point Sharpie.

Tooth Fairy
19th July 2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks I drew it. :)

It suppose to me in me swans clobber! Are you a Lego man?

BonBon
19th July 2004, 05:18 PM
It was good that Goodes came back 5mins later after he injured his other knee!

Boodnutz
19th July 2004, 07:26 PM
Every team has players playing their way back into form. They won't be able to do it in 2's, the yawning gap between seniors and 2's is enormous. If they're senior players, we've gotta play them into form in the 1's. No other way.
But Goodsey....It's a crying shame to see him hobble around the ground compared to the majestic form of last season.
If the club were COMPLETELY serious and cold blooded, you'd put Goodsey, Fosdike and Ablett into a package and have a mini clear-out. Western Bulldogs would jump at them.
The great teams of sport kill off their champions relatively early (Man U, Arsenal etc). Maybe we need to do the same.

19th July 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Boodnutz

The great teams of sport kill off their champions relatively early (Man U, Arsenal etc). Maybe we need to do the same.
Exactly right. Man U offloaded Beckham while he was at peak, for a cool 20 something million pounds and bought the talented Ronaldo for about 12. From Euro2004, their policy is clearly vindicated.

We were never ruthless enough to be a force to be reckon with. Trading established players away in a clever way (those hitting the peak, on demand, never be a champion) would be a small correction of our soft attitude on the players.

gloveski
19th July 2004, 08:19 PM
Trading goodes his absolute garbage he is playing injured.Have you forgotten last year he was the hardest player in the AFL to match up on

19th July 2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
Trading goodes his absolute garbage he is playing injured.Have you forgotten last year he was the hardest player in the AFL to match up on
Goodes is a champion. It would be crazy to suggest trading him unless his knees are permanently crooked. I hope it is not the case.

dendol
19th July 2004, 09:00 PM

Roos is a dumb man and I gave him more credit thatb his worth.

All players who want play have to pass a fitness test. These tests involved sustained sprinting, jumping, and big changes of directions - basically all the stuff a player is expected to do during a game. Willo was forced out because he couldnt do this. Goodes wouldnt have gotten any better by sitting in the stands - he needs to play and train to get used to his dodgy knee. The new injury cannot be directly attributed to his existing one.

As some have already mentioned, every single team in the AFL has at least a few players with niggling injuries. Look at Michael Voss. Is Leigh Matthews a smart man until Voss breaks down?

To say Roos is a dumb man for playing Goodes says more about you than it does about our selection policies.

NMWBloods
19th July 2004, 09:08 PM
Goodes may play this week too!

swansrule100
19th July 2004, 09:49 PM
bugger trading goodsey he is a brownlow medalist and a premier player in the league!!!!

but he is going to ruin his career if he doesnt rest that leg and he isnt exactly in great form! all because of injury i know.

its very brave what he is doing but id rather see him rest and play another decade than retire in 3-4 years because his legs are gone

j0lly
20th July 2004, 01:23 PM
i think he needs a rest
his confidence is taking a bit of a kickign as well

do u see his face these days when he palys?looks like he doesnt enjoy playing the game anymore

i tihnk he shouldnt play weekends n spend a couple of weeks retraining to get used to his knees

penga
20th July 2004, 01:29 PM
give heath a go!

Diego
20th July 2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dendol
All players who want play have to pass a fitness test. These tests involved sustained sprinting, jumping, and big changes of directions - basically all the stuff a player is expected to do during a game. Willo was forced out because he couldnt do this. Goodes wouldnt have gotten any better by sitting in the stands - he needs to play and train to get used to his dodgy knee. The new injury cannot be directly attributed to his existing one.

As some have already mentioned, every single team in the AFL has at least a few players with niggling injuries. Look at Michael Voss. Is Leigh Matthews a smart man until Voss breaks down?

To say Roos is a dumb man for playing Goodes says more about you than it does about our selection policies.

So you would risk the long term damage that Goodes is risking just so we can win at all cost to be finals fodder? Why not let him recover the proper way and get him primmed for a good 2005.

Tell me what positives there are in playing goodes atm with 2, not 1 but 2 bung knees?

He hasn't done much down back i am sorry to inform. Maybe Roos sees him as the type of player that might lift the whole team with just his presence out there. I personally don't at this stage.

sharp9
20th July 2004, 02:17 PM
We are not going to win the premiership this year. We are still a chance to be a factor in the finals. However all inall I would love to see Goodesy rested. Play James/Dempster/Rogers/Powell as the extra tall down back and see how we go. Any of those playing their very best foortball is better than Goodesy on the hobble. So at least give them a chance (if they're crap, they're crap and we can delist them, but I still believe there is a chance for Powell to come good...now is a good chance to find out)

Jet2600
20th July 2004, 02:19 PM
Even if we aren't going to win though, does that mean we should try less hard that any other match?

Diego
20th July 2004, 02:44 PM
the issue here is Goodes and will it benefit the team in the long term if he keeps playing 2 bad knees?

Thats my issue.

I expect them to win regardless of their spot on the ladder. I just think its pretty short sighted what Roos is doing atm and not very smart on his behalf.

Now, have i got my point across now? :)

Jet2600
20th July 2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah I do understand what you are saying, but surely he'd want to play if he's fit. If he's carrying an injury then he's not fit to play, no?

Diego
20th July 2004, 03:01 PM
Seems Adam just wants to play despite the injuries which i s a good thing.

BUT

Seriously someone should get him to chat to Peter Daicos about his bung knees. Just to get the point across about the long term damage.I'll hate to see Goodes become the next kouta in terms of champions careers being cut short due to injury.

NMWBloods
20th July 2004, 03:26 PM
He seems to be the sort of guy who is so keen that he will be play through an injury - not a good idea.

Jet2600
20th July 2004, 03:28 PM
I guess he's the only one who knows if he can play through it, or needs to rest. After all, he is a professional athlete and I'm sure he wouldn't risk ending his career.