PDA

View Full Version : Feb 8th Aboriginal Allstars game!

Troy G
17th January 2003, 05:13 PM
Oh okay and Carlton too I suppose...The ATSIC Allstars will be made up of some of the best Aboriginal players in the AFL wearing a specially made jumper from the Aboriginal flag colours that looks deadly!
Unfortunately we won't see the game on television but the National Indigenous Radio Service (NIRS) will be covering the game.

In Sydney it's now possible to hear NIRS and thus the game through the brand new "93.7FM Koori Radio" community radio station which just started a test broadcast in the New Year.

Koori radio are broadcasting just to the inner city on low power at the moment through, so some of you may have to get out and about to catch the game! They'll be broadcasting to all of Sydney by June.
Those of you that aren't in Sydney should look up your local Indigenous station via NIRS website: www.nirs.org.au to tune in and catch the game.

Troy G
19th January 2003, 06:48 PM
You should hear the game in Melbourne on 3KND 90.7FM

robbieando
20th January 2003, 12:29 AM
I don't understand why this game can't be shown on Fox Footy wouldn't you think. Great idea I just hope the Swans playing in this matches don't get injuried - of course every Carlton player can for all I care.

Sydneyfan
20th January 2003, 10:00 PM
Be good if they showed the match on Fox Footy (even though I don't have it at the moment!). Whereabouts is the game being played? Darwin?

Troy G
22nd January 2003, 05:52 PM
Yes it's in Darwin on at ( i think) Marrara Oval.

Sydneyfan
22nd January 2003, 10:07 PM
Cool, thanks for that, Troy. Be good if an annual Aboriginal All Stars match becomes a regular feature again like they were for a while in the 90s.

Troy G
3rd February 2003, 04:00 PM
The 2003 ATSIC Chairman's All-stars side to play Carlton at Darwin's revamped Marrara Stadium this Saturday February 8 has been selected.

The All-stars, to be coached by former Footscray and Brisbane Lion star Michael McLean, brings together the finest indigenous players under the captaincy of dual Norm Smith Medallist Andrew McLeod.

AFL Indigenous Football Foundation Chairman and All-star selector Michael Long said the concept had received continued support at the 2002 AFLPA Indigenous Player Camp and he was delighted with the squad he and fellow selectors Michael McLean, Russell Jeffrey, Chris Lewis and Maurice Rioli has been able to put together.

The match will also be the first for Carlton under new coach Denis Pagan, immediately following on from the club's training camp in Alice Springs.

The All-star squad (with jumper number and AFL club if applicable) is: Leon Davis (1, Collingwood), Chris Johnson (2, Brisbane Lions), Anthony Corrie (3, Brisbane Lions), Mark Williams (6, Hawthorn), Peter Burgoyne (7, Port Adelaide), Jason Roe (8), Ashley Sampi (9, West Coast), Troy Cook (10, Fremantle), Des Headland (11, Fremantle), Steven Koops (12, Fremantle), Richard Cole (13, Collingwood), Antoni Grover (14, Fremantle), Xavier Clarke (15, St Kilda), Justin Murphy (16, Carlton), Ashley McGrath (17, Brisbane Lions), Dale Kickett (18, Fremantle), Daniel Motlop (19, Kangaroos), Corey Achee (20), Chance Bateman (21, Hawthorn), Alan Murray (22), Andrew McLeod (23, Adelaide), Andrew Krakouer (27, Richmond), Cory McGrath (28, Essendon), Adrian Wilson (30), Darryl White (33, Brisbane Lions), Toby McGrath (35), Adam Goodes (39, Sydney), Dean Rioli (43, Essendon), Shannon Motlop (44, Kangaroos) and Matthew Whelan (45, Melbourne).

liz
3rd February 2003, 09:10 PM
Strange that there's no O'Loughlin. He's always been a strong supporter of the indigenous cause. I can only think that maybe he's still struggling to shake the calf injury he's had recently, or at least that the club doesn't want to risk him.

Had a quick look to see whether there were any other high profile players missing from the list. The only ones I can think of are Jeff Farmer and Gavin Wanganeen.

It can't be that any of these three players didn't warrant selection when you see how inexperienced some of the squad is.

Troy G
6th February 2003, 12:20 PM
The National Indigenous Radio Service will be broadcasting the ATSIC Chairman's All Stars Vs Carlton match at Marrara Stadium this Saturday 8 February 2003 between 07:30 - 11:00pm (Qld Time).

The Callers for the match are: Barry Denner & Bruce Eva
Special Comments: TBA

If you require further information, please contact the NIRS on 07 3252 4511.