PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Park

monopoly19
28th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know what club/team (if any) trains/plays at Sydney Park. I only just noticed there were Aussie Rules goal posts up today but couldn't see any club signage etc....

JF_Bay22_SCG
28th July 2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
Does anyone know what club/team (if any) trains/plays at Sydney Park. I only just noticed there were Aussie Rules goal posts up today but couldn't see any club signage etc....

I live down the road from there. I think it is the Newtown Swans.

Great to see them fit the ground out for OUR code first and foremost. A true sign of the times, hey!

JF

Norris Lurker
28th July 2004, 11:36 PM
The main oval there, Alan Davidson Oval, is being used by some junior clubs; plus North Shore played there last week & will play another game there in a few weeks.

floppinab
29th July 2004, 12:34 AM
The Newtown Swans it is.

They currently run teams from Auskick up to Under 12's.

That game last weekend was first time it has been used for Senior footy. I don't know how the dimens. compare to other grounds but I would like it is v. v. v. v. small for senior footy.

in_the_outer
29th July 2004, 02:58 PM
Despite the size (although it must be bigger than Bankstown and NS oval), the facilities there and the lighting are sensational.
I think the NSWAFL should think about having it as their showcase oval, ie for 2005 the match of the round each week could be played there on a Friday or Saturday night. I reckon if it became a permanent fixture on either night the league might for a change start having a decent crowd at its games. I know I would go along and sink a few tinnies during the game before heading out on the town for a few more. Also, could assist in helping clubs raise a bit of cash. How? you are probably asking yourselves. Each club gets use of the function room twice a year and on these occasions the respective club can host a function, eg ladies day, sponsors dinner etc etc.
Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe it could be put to the league as an idea if people think it has some merit.

parade old boy
29th July 2004, 03:12 PM
I agree "in the outer", actually had a guy tell me that in a bar on sat night, it has a great grass hill for your viewing pleasure

j s
29th July 2004, 04:51 PM
Some Northside junior games played there this year too....

Round 2:
Saturday May 1st
Under 14 A Bombers 8.4.52 def Maroubra 6.3.39

Round 5:
Friday May 21st
Under 14 Willoughby 8.8.56 def North Ryde 5.4.34

Round 8:
Friday June 11th
Under 15 Willoughby 14.13.97 def Glebe 4.7.31

Round 12:
Saturday July 24th
Under 14 A Riverview 8.4.52 def Maroubra 5.6.36

Northside games at Davidson Oval (http://www.northsidejafl.com.au/northsidejafl/competition/show_draw.html?venue=dav&Go=Go&groupby=round&groupby2=date&round=all&showvenue=no&year=)

benny_w
29th July 2004, 11:09 PM
UTS and Penrith played the first senior match on Alan Davidson Oval and it was like playing on Dukes Oval at Emu Plains except we got pumped.

It is a little bigger than Trumper Park at Paddington

cos789
31st July 2004, 11:44 PM
Any news on that super ground that they were going to build out Cherrybrook way . touted as a possible new home for the Sydney swans ??

troy34
1st August 2004, 01:08 PM
We (Balmain) train at Alan Davidson Oval once a week and have done so all year, the facilities are fantastic and the lighting turns night into day. This is the first year the council have allowed senior teams to train there.

Luffy

GoBloods
4th August 2004, 06:10 PM
i live around the corner from it . its a great ground . i hope they play more sfl there. this is where the sfl need to get a base . get established there, play finals ,game of the week etc. get back what erskineville oval used to be

shearer
5th August 2004, 11:49 AM
I went past it last night and was amazed at how good the lighting is, probably the best lighting of a suburban ground i have seen..

Phil Tarbox
10th August 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by troy34
We (Balmain) train at Alan Davidson Oval once a week and have done so all year, the facilities are fantastic and the lighting turns night into day. This is the first year the council have allowed senior teams to train there.

Luffy

Hi Troy

How much do South Sydney Council / Sydney City council charge you for use of the ground under lights?

I hired the ground a few weeks back for a social kick with some mates, and we're interested in having a kick at night.

Cheers,

Phil

troy34
10th August 2004, 07:18 PM
It's pretty cheap, only $39 per hour but as everyone is now catching onto the oval it will be harder to book, the person to speak to is Di Cottell at the South Sydney council

Luffy

Norris Lurker
23rd December 2004, 09:18 PM
It's an excellent facility, and will have some more use next season.
With Roger Sheeran out of action due to the construction work on the railway link, East Coast Eagles will be playing their home games there next season.

j s
24th December 2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by shearer
I went past it last night and was amazed at how good the lighting is, probably the best lighting of a suburban ground i have seen..
One of the problems most suburban grounds have with lighting is getting approval and restrictions caused by impact to neighbouring houses.

I haven't been to Sydney Park but I get the impression it is significantly separated from any residential area

Pekay
24th December 2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
It's an excellent facility, and will have some more use next season.
With Roger Sheeran out of action due to the construction work on the railway link, East Coast Eagles will be playing their home games there next season. its funny you say that about East Coast ,because that 5 yr perpetual rumour about a "super facility" at Kellyville is doing the rounds again,it was about 5-6 yrs ago Baulko had their eye on the old tip over that way.if Oscar is reading,maybe he can shed some light on the subject.

Oscar
24th December 2004, 11:40 AM
Love to tell you a bit more Pekay but am restricted somewhat.

Suffice to say that 6-8 years of work should see a result announced sometime in the New Year.

Alan Davidson Oval will do us fine for 2005. With maybe a couple of matches at Roger Sheeran (still a possibility) and perhaps a couple of "match of the days" at Henson Park will do us nicely.

Pekay
24th December 2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Oscar
Love to tell you a bit more Pekay but am restricted somewhat.

Suffice to say that 6-8 years of work should see a result announced sometime in the New Year.

Alan Davidson Oval will do us fine for 2005. With maybe a couple of matches at Roger Sheeran (still a possibility) and perhaps a couple of "match of the days" at Henson Park will do us nicely. discretion is neccesary and silence is golden Oscar, once again merry xmas my friend,i have an appointment with a BEER GORILLA

JF_Bay22_SCG
9th January 2005, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by j s
One of the problems most suburban grounds have with lighting is getting approval and restrictions caused by impact to neighbouring houses.

I haven't been to Sydney Park but I get the impression it is significantly separated from any residential area

LOL Anything but mate.

It is right across the road from a massive residential village that stretches all the way up Sydney Park Rd on both sides of Mitchell Rd.

I guess the locals just have to put up with a view of matches on game nights from the unit balcony windows.

JF