PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the Swans

dendol
9th August 2004, 12:39 AM
Takes soooo much out of me. I seriously hate how much emotion this teams provokes out of me sometimes.

Now, I havent read what Roos has said about the capitulation, but I'd really like to see if he can put a positive spin on this one. How the **** do you squander a 40 point 3-qtr time lead?!

I've pretty much been kept out of the loop these last 2 weeks (been snowboarding in NZ!), but SMS's of the results of the Brisbane win, and now the Kangaroos debacle, has left me sitting here in a stupor. My last night in Queenstown was sleepless because I was trying to figure out how the **** do you squander a 40 point 3-qtr time lead.

After reading through the last 4 or so pages of posts (including browsing the Brisbane win posts), I can totally empathise (and sympathise) with the many diehard supporters who have been following this team for much longer than the 9 years I have been. The positive feeling after the Brisbane win has been totally destroyed by last night's loss - the major theme of the year it seems. Only absolutely **** teams give up 40 point 3-qtr times leads: Western Bulldogs do it all the time, and IIRC, Hawthorn handed a 50+ point lead to Richmond a few years back.

There is no use pinning our finals hopes on our big wins against St Kilda and Brisbane - we fluke the games we arent supposed to win, and show our true form against teams we are expected to beat. That we could win the next 3 and do some damage in the finals just doesnt work for me any more. It also doesnt give me any confidence about winning a flag any time soon because this means we have to fluke 3 or 4 big wins in-a-row come finals time. Inconsistency such as this may lend itself to a unexpected flag (93 baby bombers?), but we havent managed to fluke one in 72 years.

In saying all this, I totally understand that the events that took place on the sidelines probably had a bearing on why we gave up the game, but we let them back in before that happened. I refuse to accept it as an excuse as to why the game was lost.

Most people here will have their ****ty moods fixed and faith restored with a win next week; I think I know better now.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

footyhead
9th August 2004, 07:07 AM
Unfortunately I think you are pretty right.
Not least the part about how quickly the fans get back on board for a team who really haven't shown anything worthy of true belief.
The come back after the first quarter in the first game against the Kangaroos at Manuka oval was awesome, but all the other wins have had the whiff of something suspect about them. Some of this years losses have been inexcusable for a team who played in a preliminary final last year !
The sad thing about Wally's death, is that it will always be a part of the Swans history of why they didn't do that well this year. When in actual fact they haven't done well this year for reasons that have nothing to do with Saturdays tragedy.
In a way the order of events sums it up perfectly. Wally's tragedy happened and everyone wondered if that had anything to do with the awful result for the Swans. But in trueth the capitulation began before wally's injuries happened.
I think the Swans often find themselves in these kinds of situations.
IE: facing mitigating circumstances in the face of disappointing on field results.
Unless the club can see beyond the tragedy of the trainer, and see the other tragedy of having a team who has slowly lost their edge this year, having supporters who have been disappointed too often this year, and having a coach who has fallen into many of the second year pitfalls of his predecessor; unless this tragedy, the tragedy of repeated pathetic history is faced, then the Swans are going where they have gone for the last 70 years: up and down the ladder, but never to premiership glory !
If I was Wally I know what I would want. A quick mourning and then for everybody to get off of their arsses and excuses and to have a damn good look at themselves and what needs to be done to achieve the necessary changes that must be made to bring this team the premiership glory it so desperately needs.
If I was Wally, I would have wanted the boys to win it for me on Saturday night.

Diego
9th August 2004, 05:40 PM
This team really breaks my heart. I dont know what to expect no more. At the start of every game i get butter flies and that feeling of uncertain. You know the one. that feeling of "which swans team will show up this week".

I also find it annoying that a lot of soft fans on this site really cant see how frustrating it is following this team. They think i am just being Mr Negative all the time.

I am not, I am just hurting.

daniel f
9th August 2004, 05:50 PM
My family which consists of alot of old South supporters and now of course all Sydney lovers have a running joke that has been around for years im told amongst some swan supporters and that is the team is never home until there is less minutes left to go than there is goals required by the other team to win,and even then its a worry.

dendol
9th August 2004, 06:38 PM
See, the distressing thing for us fans will be that for the rest of the season, and then even next season, we can be up by 40+ points at any point in the game and still never be sure we can win it. This will be sitting at the back of everyone's mind (including the players themselves) and I just hope its not like a disease that spreads and festers.

daniel f
9th August 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by dendol
See, the distressing thing for us fans will be that for the rest of the season, and then even next season, we can be up by 40+ points at any point in the game and still never be sure we can win it. This will be sitting at the back of everyone's mind (including the players themselves) and I just hope its not like a disease that spreads and festers. I believe its always been with us that failure to be consistent and ever look convincingly in control of a game,its something that we have plenty of history in doing imo.;

BAM_BAM
9th August 2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Diego
I also find it annoying that a lot of soft fans on this site really cant see how frustrating it is following this team. They think i am just being Mr Negative all the time.

I am not, I am just hurting.

I remember Happy Diego from last year. :) I want him to come back as much as you do.:)

treespirit
9th August 2004, 07:42 PM
A good team with a good lead at 3/4 time usually buries the opposition. The Swans more often than not end up within a goal of the opposition, on one side of the ledger or other.

It's pathetic and makes me feel sick. I hate it that I support a team who's only consistency is that you KNOW at some stage in a game or season, they will throw all their good work away.