PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season puke

Bas
17th January 2003, 09:17 PM
Is it just me, or do others find all the pre-season rubbish being released by Clubs as nauseating.

Best pre-season ever (most clubs), best team (Hawthorn), best coach (Rohde), team re-building (bombers) this is the year (pies)etc etc etc!!!!!!!

They do it every year.

I'm glad the Swans haven't released dribble like this. The sooner the season starts the better.

SWANSBEST
17th January 2003, 09:34 PM
Bas
I agree with you but it could be a case of the clubs , in particular , the Melbourne based clubs talking their prospects up in an attempt to boost membership numbers.

Norris Lurker
17th January 2003, 10:53 PM
This is a great time of year. All 16 clubs are certainties to make the 8.:p :rolleyes:

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 05:17 PM
I don't really mind it. It happens every year - and it's human nature to talk up your chances, as long as they are not being unrealistic!! ie: 10 clubs all saying "I think we are dead certainties for the flag this year!!"

If you've done well in the recent past, you'll be looking to maintain that. If you have struggled recently, you'd be looking to improve. Optimism is great, that's what keeps us following footy!!

vagary
18th January 2003, 10:13 PM
i guess that makes sense to talk it up. would you rather the clubs saying " we are certainties for the wooden spoon this year" ?

Destructive
18th January 2003, 10:18 PM
I haven't heard the Swans release any preseason tripe, this is good. The teams who release tripe usually fall flat on their faces when the real business starts.

robbieando
18th January 2003, 10:32 PM
I would rather say nothing and do nothing, than boost endlessly and do nothing. Its good that we are quiet because it means other clubs might take us lightly. Better than last year when the club wouldn't shut up about Lockett coming back.

liz
18th January 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
I would rather say nothing and do nothing, than boost endlessly and do nothing. Its good that we are quiet because it means other clubs might take us lightly. Better than last year when the club wouldn't shut up about Lockett coming back.

To be fair, I think that was the media driving the Lockett hype last year. The club actually tried to keep quite quiet about it after he was drafted.

And while the Swans may not have been coming out and saying how they are in the best shape ever, there hasn't been any shortage of news articles about them. There was one earlier this week with Roos talking down pre-season cup chances so they could concentrate on the real thing.

robbieando
19th January 2003, 01:45 AM
Thats what I like to here - Roos talking down our chances. Better to expect nothing than expect big things only to be let down (again)

j s
19th January 2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by vagary
i guess that makes sense to talk it up. would you rather the clubs saying " we are certainties for the wooden spoon this year" ?
Fifteen of the clubs know they are safe from that fate!

Cheer Cheer
19th January 2003, 01:42 PM
Yes sydney have been quiet this year in terms of talking themselves up
I remember last year I saw quite a bit of media stuff from players and footy staff how the swans could go top 2 and that they are going to be a real force blah blah
The talking up thing has been around for a few years now, and it has , in the end, just been talk really and no action.
Its refreshing to see the team actually being talked down for a change by roos