PDA

View Full Version : Footy in schools...

monopoly19
10th August 2004, 11:56 PM
It seems the NSW Auskick program is growing, and the problem with Aussie Rules in Sydney lies mainly in what happens from there onwards... but, it seems that little by little some good things are happening with some high schools in Sydney.

In previous years schools like Riverview etc., have held Gala Days, in which a few schools competed in round robin set-up maybe once or twice a year (I think last year there was some schools from Adelaide and Melbourne, IIRC). Obviously Riverview have joined the major comp, but progress is being made elsewhere. There is now a minor competition between a number of secondary schools (runs for about 6 weekends, involving schools like Knox, St Aloys, Trinity etc. and I think Riverview) rather than just those one-off competitions.

I don't know much about it, but it sounds like things are slowly improving. It obviously won't make a huge impact straight-away on the very Union orientated schools, but it's better than nothing!

Just some good news I thought I'd share!

stellation
11th August 2004, 09:29 AM
Aaaaaahhhhhhh Sydney School boys footy...

When I was in high school (late eighties/early nineties) the only decent schoolboys comp (public schools) was when you got to the level of regions playing in the state comp. If memory serves me correctly it went Zone teams for the Regional comp, Region teams for the Sate comp and then State comps for the Teal Cup... and I remember the jump in skills wasn't that huge from the Regional comps when you got to playing in the Teal Cup but it seemed like you were tackled a lot harder and a hell of a lot quicker...

There was a schools knock-out comp (public chools) played every year, my school only ever entered once when I was in about year 8 or 9... there was all of 3 guys at my school who played Australian Rules and the rest were league players. I lined up at FF and remember distinctly that I touched the ball 2 times for the game and we lost by 80 to 6, those 2 touches coming from the 2 times the ball came down to the forward line. I remember being able to see what was going to happen after about 10 minutes into the game and tried explaining to the coach, who had no idea at all about Australian Football (he was a Maths teacher who I think said he would coach to get the afternoon off, he didn't even have 1 training session!), at quarter time that maybe I should move further up the ground or into the backline and he said "but you're the Full Forward" and I couldn't convince him... so I just stood 5 metres in front of the goal square freezing my arse off for a whole game...

I bloody well hope it improves :)

motorace_182
11th August 2004, 11:01 AM
I know in my local area of the hills there are at least 2 comps open for schools. There is a modified comp called the Lions Cup which 9-12ish a side on a small field with soft rules. Any school can participate from Kellyville to Parramatta, then it progresses going onto State Finals. Here schools from Blue Mountains etc come down for a day of modified matches. Pretty piss weak to be honest.

Or there is the Brenan Cup. This is again for local schools and is 18-a-side games of 15-20min qtrs. The standard is obviously weak, but is good fun. You play 3 round matches before moving onto the final stages.
So its gettin bigger, gradually.

Oscar
11th August 2004, 12:30 PM
East Coast Eagles have now got AFL in at Arndell College as a fully approved sport. Arndell is out Kenthurst way and with it being a private school, we consider it a major breakthrough.

The Eagles supply players twice a week during the daytime hours to run the clinics and assist with the skill development.

There are other opportunities occuring with further private schools where we expect to be able to provide development opportunities to them.

in_the_outer
11th August 2004, 02:39 PM
Stellation,

Did you play Teal Cup?

I'm wondering how many guys there are in Sydney footy that played Teal Cup prior to the formation of the RAMS (1995/96 I think) as that changed the whole selection process.

Prince
12th August 2004, 02:08 PM
in the outer...

I know Pennant Hills has Anthony Brawn who played Teal Cup and also was possibly All Australian.

Still playing good footy in First Grade but he is not getting any younger.

I think Ashley Bell from the Demons also played Teal Cup.

Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh ??

stellation
13th August 2004, 09:03 AM
maybe I did, maybe I didn't.. just to feel mysterious ;)

it seems a lot harder to get a guernsey now though, back then I am certain there was at least 2 NSW teams (Riverina had their own?) and a seperate ACT team compared to the combined NSW/ACT team... and I recall it was u17 instead of u18 also.

stellation
13th August 2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Oscar
The Eagles supply players twice a week during the daytime hours to run the clinics and assist with the skill development.

Good stuff. I think one of the problems with getting footy into schools is actually getting coaches for the teams, if we can have senior clubs providing players to fill that role to some degree then we are half way there.

Do BHills still field 2 junior teams in comps (Hawks and Kookas?)?

motorace_182
13th August 2004, 11:16 AM
There are two teams in most junior ages i think....but they're now called Gold and Maroons!!

JF_Bay22_SCG
13th August 2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
In previous years schools like Riverview etc., have held Gala Days, in which a few schools competed in round robin set-up maybe once or twice a year (I think last year there was some schools from Adelaide and Melbourne, IIRC). Obviously Riverview have joined the major comp, but progress is being made elsewhere. There is now a minor competition between a number of secondary schools (runs for about 6 weekends, involving schools like Knox, St Aloys, Trinity etc. and I think Riverview) rather than just those one-off competitions.
Just some good news I thought I'd share!

You are telling me that they actually willingly play foty at Knox these days!!!!!!?????? *COMPLETE SHOCK*

Under Dr Patterson it would have been the sin of sins to support anything other than frigging rugger. I know that the school captain in the year under me was only given the posi when he switched from being in the Soccer 1sts to the Rugby 2nds.

Are they seriously playing footy at Knox now? And if so, where?

JF

monopoly19
14th August 2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Are they seriously playing footy at Knox now? And if so, where?

I think so, but I may have got the schools wrong. I had a half-dozen names rattled off at me, and I just tried to catch as many as I could. I may have just pulled it out of nowhere, but I'll get back to you when I know for sure.

JF_Bay22_SCG
16th August 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
I think so, but I may have got the schools wrong. I had a half-dozen names rattled off at me, and I just tried to catch as many as I could. I may have just pulled it out of nowhere, but I'll get back to you when I know for sure.

Mate, please do!

As somebody who was ostracised by some at Knox for even thinking aloud about having AFL at Knox, I would love to see it there.
Even if I can't fathom in my right mind ever seeing the wonderful sight of 4 posts at each end of Knox 1.

Doctor Patterson would die in his snotty-nose rugby grave seeing that! :D

JF

parade old boy
17th August 2004, 11:07 AM
Im not sure if knox play in the brennan cup, but i did go to the gf last year between riverview and some school from out campbelltown way, riverview won by loads Craig Davis was umpire, riverview have won for the past few years i think, the secret to getting AFL into the schools is a simple one, if its wanted by enough players it will become part of the sport programme. Oak hill college at castle hill play, with the likes of k jack, j Barrat playing and some more names that escape me, they dont have a field , maybe they play at penno.

motorace_182
17th August 2004, 11:00 PM
Mate, Oakhill College have a very good team and will be red hot favourites to go all the way in this season. They won 111-0 last season and then had only 12 players on 18 and lost by 3 to miss out on the finals.