PDA

View Full Version : The Fickle Finger Of The Frustrated Fan

BAM_BAM
11th August 2004, 11:20 PM
The fickle finger of the frustrated fan is always looking for someone to point at.

Before you all click the back arrow and turn away from a long post, that you may think is one of my "Be Happy Don't bag the players" posts, read on.

This year more than last I notice these types of posts are popping up more often than not.

What type? You ask.

Something many call "Bagging Players".

I've been thinking about this over the past few days and have what in my opinion is something worth thinking about.

Why is it happening more this year?

We played better than anyone thought we would last year. We lost some of our stalwarts and with a new Coach, we played 1 quarter short of making the Grand Final. It was a good year to be a Swan. Not a great year by some standards but a good one.

This year we have more or less the same cattle but less positive results. We've had a lot more injuries and a lot of dodgy decisions hamper us. That's no excuse as all clubs have this happen from year to year. The good ones adapt and overcome. Not that we're not a good club and can't do that. Hence the frustration mounting with supporters.

Can we do better? Absolutely. Will we do better? I think so. Do we each have players who we hate to see singled out? Obviously.

Ultimately at the end of the day we want a flag or 2 or 3 or 20 in our lifetimes. Will we see this? I hope so.

I know we all get frustrated when our team loses and human nature as it is we look for a reason for this. For the last 3 years the only club who can bandy about the expression 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is Brisbane. But I bet Leigh and co don't do that and that's why they are the team and club they are.

When you think about it we all as individuals want to be recognized as exceptional (and anyone who thinks otherwise, take a moment and think about it again). Players don't go out there to do badly, sometimes it just happens, but that doesn't mean they accept it and neither should we.

I don't agree with every post on here, but what I do respect is the right for every person to express their opinion, in a cordial way.

I know my user id is what I think is a clever link to my favourite Player?s nickname (for which I can't take credit of thinking of as it was given to me by my Sister as has now become my nickname for her) and I have an avatar that really would be suited to a chick who is a "groupie". Some people may see me that way, some don't. Your opinion. and I respect that.

I think we all need to be mindful that this forum is one of the best many of us have been associated with. It has it's moments of insanity, but generally the people on here are cordial and express themselves well. I don't believe anyone of us think what the players do is an easy job, but part of being a member of RWO is the passion we share for our Swans, and it is our fickle fingers we are pointing when we come on here and discuss or as some call it bag the players performances. And really it is their performances we are discussing. Not them as people.

It's a way we all connect. I have found a site in RWO where I can talk freely about one of my passions. I never thought that being a member here would mean I?d meet people who I am privileged to call my friends.

What I guess I'm saying is that you may not agree with everything on here, but isn't what's on here is the reason you keep coming back?

It's well known that The Players and The Club read this forum. I like to think that feedback, no matter how it's presented can always be made into a positive. Office politics has shown me that if it is perceived to be, even if that perception is not necessarily correct, we can grow from that and make the changes required to excel.

The events of the past week have made me look at things a little harder and although we all have differing opinions we are all Brothers and Sisters of the Swans Family. Ultimately when one of us speaks out, no matter the reason, it?s because we are drawn to the desire of seeing our club succeed.

I don?t think my words will make people change how they feel about certain posts. I just hope it will help them think about why we post what we do.

I have rushed in and posted aggressively in the past when I didn?t see eye to eye with someone. I had a wake up call Saturday night after doing just this and will now endeavour to take a breath and think of why it may have been posted before doing so again.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Oh and of course as always.

GO SWANS

dimelb
11th August 2004, 11:36 PM
Onya Bam-Bam - great post. I agree with you 100% about not bagging players. They need encouragement much more than they need brickbats. Even when they make outrageous mistakes that have me leaping up from my chair, I know they are doing their best in the circumstances, and no-one can do more. They don't need reminding when they've stuffed up.
This is a wonderful forum, which is why I got hooked on it in the first place, and I always feel we support a wonderful club with its own unique traditions (such as not winning a flag in 70 years! a tradition we can change). And I can understand when people get so worked up and p#ssed off when we stuff up as we did last weekend; I bet the players do as well. But it's our club, and it's our blokes, and we'll follow them in good times and bad. And I still think we have a very good team - the future beckons.

desredandwhite
11th August 2004, 11:44 PM
Well, it's a fine, fine line.

I don't have any problem with bagging players' performances - if they stuff up, they deserve a bit of a roasting. I always look at it this way: I am a Swans supporter. I don't support the players, they just happen to represent the club I support, if that makes sense.

If a player makes a bad mistake, I will certainly let them know about it (as much as is possible from one's remote position high up in the O'Reilly stand). But fair is fair. If a player does something well, I will applaud him for it. What I can't understand, is a player being bagged just because he is Jude Bolton, or Leo Barry, or whoever.

chammond
11th August 2004, 11:50 PM
To bag, or not to bag?
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler of the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous disposals,
or to take arms against the useless buggers,
and by abusing, end them!

:(

swansrule100
12th August 2004, 12:13 AM
i think anyone who takes the time to be on here is a dedicated fan anyway.

i dont see why supporters cant want improvement and suggest ways to improve.

i cant speak for anyone else but say i love the team i bleed red and white and its an awesome team and until the season is officially over i hang on to the thought the year is ours and always will do that!

go swans

ROK Lobster
12th August 2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by chammond
To bag, or not to bag?
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler of the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous disposals,
or to take arms against the useless buggers,
and by abusing, end them!

:(
I didn't know Hamlet was getting a game. Just don't let him take the kick ins - there's one bloke who can't make a decision.

I'll put my two bobs worth in here too. I'm only new in here but I reckon its a pretty good board. Living north of Albury but outside Sydney there are only a few who follow the footy and RWO is a great place to listen and say a few things. Wildly different opinions are the heart and soul of football discussion I think. I'm just plucking up the courage to start the 'trade Barry Hall thread' and the 'Paul Kelly had no courage' thread, then the 'Lockett was not a good kick' thread and the 'Dermott Brereton was the best investment the Swans ever made' thread.

What I don't understand, as a newcomer, is why it gets personal sometimes. Play the ball and the occasional legal hip and shoulder, (especially if it is funny) but why do people go for the king hit? What is there to gain? Anyway, all the best everyone - it has been a bad week for some. GO THE SWANS

And by the way I think we should consider trading Barry Hall. He kicks a lot of behinds and we could probably trade him for a second rate ruckman and a washed up CHB...

NMWBloods
12th August 2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Well, it's a fine, fine line.
...between pleasure and pain... :)

I don't have any problem with bagging players' performances - if they stuff up, they deserve a bit of a roasting. I always look at it this way: I am a Swans supporter. I don't support the players, they just happen to represent the club I support, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. I support the Sydney Swans and the players happen to represent that club. I have little to no interest in any of the players individually, hence my comments about them are purely in relation to how they are playing football, whether good or bad.

If a player makes a bad mistake, I will certainly let them know about it (as much as is possible from one's remote position high up in the O'Reilly stand). But fair is fair. If a player does something well, I will applaud him for it. What I can't understand, is a player being bagged just because he is Jude Bolton, or Leo Barry, or whoever.

It makes little sense, just as it makes little sense for people to get upset when certain players are criticised.

There's no doubt that certain players get singled out. This results from a number of reasons, mainly expectations.

Certain players are perceived to be the young talents in the club but are not performing as some supporters would like, particularly compared to young players from other clubs. This is especially the case with higher draft picks. This sees them come under far more scrutiny than other players, which is normal to some degree when they are considered to be the elite of the younger talent.

For the ones that are perceived to underperform or take a longer time to mature, their performances often need to be that little bit better as more and more is expected of them, particularly to catch up as it were. In some supporters' eyes they have a longer way to go to reach the stage of being forgiven for poor games.

Perhaps it's a little bit harsh, but there is also possibly an element of players needing to earn respect from supporters before they can be forgiven for bad games.

The same sort of view applies to more experienced players, particularly those traded to the club. There is an expectation that the players will perform to a certain level. If supporters are disappointed by that performance then they have a perfect right to be upset with that player. If a player is usually good and puts in the occasional poor one, that is nearly always acceptable. If not, then he is given a bake. That goes for everything else in life so why not sport.

Perhaps footballers do not go out to try to fail, but in certain cases they perhaps don't go out there hard enough to win. Sometimes their heart isn't in it, they don't try hard enough or they haven't been working hard enough on their skills. Again that is acceptable occasionally, but in a professional job and in most life situations it is not acceptable, and shouldn't be from football players.

I like to point out on this forum (and others) the things I notice in a game that affect the result or are particularly meaningful, such as a very young player doing some good things. When it happens that the team is not playing well and losing quite a bit, it's not surprising that bad things affect the result more. When it is particularly bad it's certainly not surprising that the comments from some supporters is especially aggressive representing their disappointment.

Sure the players may also be disappointed, however they were involved and had their chance and failed. For the poor supporter, he/she cannot do anything about it and the disappointment of losing is mixed with the frustration of not being able to have a meaningful impact on the result, which naturally produces great angst.

At the end of the day, as a supporter, sports are about winning. If you play then it is also about competing, but that doesn't really factor into it when you watch. There is also the element of purely enjoying the sport for the spectacle, however that is also not the same aspect as being a supporter. If a sports team you support doesn't win, then to a large degree it defeats the purpose of supporting a competitive sports team. This is what tends to drive emotions, and is the same for pretty much all sports.

If supporting is about winning, as I believe it is, then commenting on players' performances (nothing personal ever, purely on their football ability) is natural, and if you want to understand exactly what's happening, necessary.

Praising or bagging a player purely because of who he is makes absolutely no sense. All that matters on the football field is how he plays football.

BTW - good post B_B.

swansrule100
12th August 2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
...between pleasure and pain... :)
[B]

Makes perfect sense to me. I support the Sydney Swans and the players happen to represent that club. I have little to no interest in any of the players individually, hence my comments about them are purely in relation to how they are playing football, whether good or bad.
[B]

It makes little sense, just as it makes little sense for people to get upset when certain players are criticised.

There's no doubt that certain players get singled out. This results from a number of reasons, mainly expectations.

Certain players are perceived to be the young talents in the club but are not performing as some supporters would like, particularly compared to young players from other clubs. This is especially the case with higher draft picks. This sees them come under far more scrutiny than other players, which is normal to some degree when they are considered to be the elite of the younger talent.

For the ones that are perceived to underperform or take a longer time to mature, their performances often need to be that little bit better as more and more is expected of them, particularly to catch up as it were. In some supporters' eyes they have a longer way to go to reach the stage of being forgiven for poor games.

Perhaps it's a little bit harsh, but there is also possibly an element of players needing to earn respect from supporters before they can be forgiven for bad games.

The same sort of view applies to more experienced players, particularly those traded to the club. There is an expectation that the players will perform to a certain level. If supporters are disappointed by that performance then they have a perfect right to be upset with that player. If a player is usually good and puts in the occasional poor one, that is nearly always acceptable. If not, then he is given a bake. That goes for everything else in life so why not sport.

Perhaps footballers do not go out to try to fail, but in certain cases they perhaps don't go out there hard enough to win. Sometimes their heart isn't in it, they don't try hard enough or they haven't been working hard enough on their skills. Again that is acceptable occasionally, but in a professional job and in most life situations it is not acceptable, and shouldn't be from football players.

I like to point out on this forum (and others) the things I notice in a game that affect the result or are particularly meaningful, such as a very young player doing some good things. When it happens that the team is not playing well and losing quite a bit, it's not surprising that bad things affect the result more. When it is particularly bad it's certainly not surprising that the comments from some supporters is especially aggressive representing their disappointment.

Sure the players may also be disappointed, however they were involved and had their chance and failed. For the poor supporter, he/she cannot do anything about it and the disappointment of losing is mixed with the frustration of not being able to have a meaningful impact on the result, which naturally produces great angst.

At the end of the day, as a supporter, sports are about winning. If you play then it is also about competing, but that doesn't really factor into it when you watch. There is also the element of purely enjoying the sport for the spectacle, however that is also not the same aspect as being a supporter. If a sports team you support doesn't win, then to a large degree it defeats the purpose of supporting a competitive sports team. This is what tends to drive emotions, and is the same for pretty much all sports.

If supporting is about winning, as I believe it is, then commenting on players' performances (nothing personal ever, purely on their football ability) is natural, and if you want to understand exactly what's happening, necessary.

Praising or bagging a player purely because of who he is makes absolutely no sense. All that matters on the football field is how he plays football.

BTW - good post B_B.

spot on......

i mean if an accountant stuffs up heaps his boss will get rid of him.. i guess he doesnt have people on a forum writing about his mistake (pretty boring forum) but he still has to face the consequences

Nolie
12th August 2004, 02:06 AM
Have just joined the RWO and it is a great read. I am impressed by the deep level of thinking and articulation by the posters - especially most of it coming from what I refer to as a "Non AFL" State.

BAM_BAM
12th August 2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by swansrule100
spot on......

i mean if an accountant stuffs up heaps his boss will get rid of him.. i guess he doesnt have people on a forum writing about his mistake (pretty boring forum) but he still has to face the consequences

this was one things I mentioned in my original draft but cut it out as my post. It was long enough. Working in payroll I'd hate to have a forum about my stuff up's. :) Although I try not to make them sometimes it happens and when it comes to someone's pay it really really matters.

we're in sinc on this one swansrule100

and thanks Nick. :)

ScottH
12th August 2004, 07:37 AM
It is frustrating to watch some players have crap games, some more than others, but the final bagging will ultimatley come from Roos. If he feels the players have not advanced to a stage that he considers where they should be they will not be at the club when there contracts expire. Also the players can go from hero to villian to hero in a space of a week or a qtr or a centre square bounce. Such as B1's goal to win the game early this year from a buchanon handpass, (against Hawks(?)).

I have players I think are not up to scratch as others here do, but they have made the AFL 1st grade, we haven't!!! so it is easy to criticise from the comfort of our seats in the stand. And if all players were stars we would be breaching the salary cap to keep them.

PS. was that an attempt to get the worlds longest post Bam_Bam???? ;)

CureTheSane
12th August 2004, 10:35 AM
Pretty much agree with BAM BAM's first post.

In the wash up, you get to know people.

If someone comes out is bagging players, or the club or whatever, then that's fine.
If they are doing it constantly, I simply stop reading their posts.

That's a personal thing for me.
I don't watch news or read newspapers because the news is mostly depressing and bad.
Same here. If it's all negative, then I just hit that little X up the top.

Threads like "we are ****ing crap" and the like are just 'crying' threads to me.

Some people just can't understand that there are 16 clubs and they all play each other every week.
We aren't going to win every game, and there will be dissappointments.

Funny how I remember probably 95% of people here endorsing Roos and his long term plan.
Everyone knew we needed a change of culture with draft picks etc.
Now that we have what we wanted, it's still not good enough for many people.

swansrule100
12th August 2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
this was one things I mentioned in my original draft but cut it out as my post. It was long enough. Working in payroll I'd hate to have a forum about my stuff up's. :) Although I try not to make them sometimes it happens and when it comes to someone's pay it really really matters.

we're in sinc on this one swansrule100

and thanks Nick. :)

and we arent normally in sinc? :P

i would be happy to start a payroll forum if you like? :P

but yeh they have enourmous pressure...

NMWBloods
12th August 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Threads like "we are ****ing crap" and the like are just 'crying' threads to me.

Some people just can't understand that there are 16 clubs and they all play each other every week.
We aren't going to win every game, and there will be dissappointments.

Threads like that are usually in the immediate aftermath of an absolute shocker. Hardly surprising and nothing to do with whether we can win every week or not.

cruiser
12th August 2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Nolie
.... I am impressed by the deep level of thinking and articulation by the posters - especially most of it coming from what I refer to as a "Non AFL" State.

Sydney is a city full of people from somewhere else. I suspect that a lot of Sydney's supporters are originally from the southern states and therefore also grew up on Aussie Rules (I'm originally from Adelaide myself). It annoys the hell out of me when I hear people question the football knowledge, understanding and passion of Swans supporters. If they could hear my friends and I talking about it, they wouldn't be so dismissive.

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2004, 01:33 PM
I think one thing people seem to be forgetting, is that things year unlike in years gone by, we supporters have had our hopes lifted by what we saw last year. Hence after bad Swans' performances, some people have been quite savage on the players and club. This season we have seen we can acheive more than turgid mediocrity, and more the most part have been unsuccessful in going beyond that (despite wins against the best teams there are, Brisbane and St Kilda). We have gotten our hopes up, and this year have higher expectations than we did last season.

I think the thing that has ticked so many people off this year is the fact that we ARE capable or beating anyone on our day, but don't.

The reasons why, well lack of form, lack of fitness for several players, injuries (see lack of fitness), and opposition coaches flooding and bringing our running game to a screaming halt with good coach (Connolly at the recent Freo match).

Now Wally's death has thrown another spanner in the works. Seriously, who know where we go from here. Your guesses are as good as mine.

AllI can say is that this season feels like 1995. And we knew what happened the next season, didn't we?

JF :confused:

sharpie
12th August 2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
AllI can say is that this season feels like 1995. And we knew what happened the next season, didn't we?

I wasnt on the scene in 1995, so all I know is the bare statistics. What makes this season feel like 1995?

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Sydney is a city full of people from somewhere else. I suspect that a lot of Sydney's supporters are originally from the southern states and therefore also grew up on Aussie Rules (I'm originally from Adelaide myself). It annoys the hell out of me when I hear people question the football knowledge, understanding and passion of Swans supporters. If they could hear my friends and I talking about it, they wouldn't be so dismissive.

And for one thing, don't assume that born and bred Sydneysiders don't know anything about the game either. I have followed the game and club since 1983 and have been a member since 1991 and would like to think I follow the game with the same fervour as anyone down south. Yes, we have had lots of people come on board in 1986 and later 1996. But the bandwagoners of this era are no fully fledged supporters in their own rights. Some are even starting up supporter websites here and there. LOL

Yes, we have a huge amount of people at matches who are theatre-goers. Take them to an NRL match and they'd have little more idea what was happening then at a Swans match.

The best thing about RWO is that it has started to separate the wheat from the chaff, the really passionate Sydney-based Swans supporters from those who are there for the ride, or are there for a nice night out with friends wearing designer jeans and a waist length black leather jackets. We see each other at after-matches and have become friends because of it.

Yes, the passionate Swans diehards tend to be somewhat few and far between when the crowds get bigger. But the nucleus of passion is definitely there in Sydney. We aren't Sydney's biggest drawing CLUB team for the last 9 years for nothing! In Melbourne they have always been passionate. So you just have to lead them to RWO and they will want to discuss.

It's all goode!!!!

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
I wasnt on the scene in 1995, so all I know is the bare statistics. What makes this season feel like 1995?

The inconsistant efforts. Beating the best teams (then, North, now Brisbane and St Kilda), then losing the next week to a team we should be burying. Then coming out and burying another good team the next week.

Alot of our players will be happy that the season has finished, as for some of them it is been a major disappointment (Schneider is the one who comes to mind first and foremost).

JF

BAM_BAM
12th August 2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
PS. was that an attempt to get the worlds longest post Bam_Bam???? ;)

Hubby's gone away again for work, so I'm home alone. I sat down with a nice glass of red and started writing and it just longer and longer ..... I finished the bottle before I finished the post :o

sharpie
12th August 2004, 01:55 PM
The inconsistant efforts. Beating the best teams (then, North, now Brisbane and St Kilda), then losing the next week to a team we should be burying. Then coming out and burying another good team the next week.

Alot of our players will be happy that the season has finished, as for some of them it is been a major disappointment (Schneider is the one who comes to mind first and foremost).

JF

The only problem is we might have the champion FF (well CHF at the moment), but we are lacking the champion CHB and midfielder that we had in 1995

ROK Lobster
12th August 2004, 02:06 PM

JF

Has the season finished, with 3 rounds to go & Sep or does it feel like 1995 when we were minor premiers and after the first 3 rounds did not lose many games at all? You have got me confused JF:confused

Schneidergirl
12th August 2004, 02:08 PM
Terrific post T and everyone else who posted above!

I get V angry at some of the remarks on here and swear blind that I will never come back on, but after a couple of days break, I'm back again. This community (though, frustrating sometimes) is a wonderful place!

Lets have a great last 3 weeks!

TheHood
12th August 2004, 02:17 PM
I will reserve my judgement as to whether the season is lost or not come late Saturday night.

However, the biggest disappointments for me have not been certain players playing poorly, but more the tragedy of injuries sullying wonderful pre-seasons that promised so much:

Davis: Had his best pre-season ever and only ever gave us his best for the first 3 quarters of the season. Had he not got injured, we would have won that game and who knows what from there. I feel for Nick.

Schneider: Looked superb in the pre-season and had himself ready to spend a lot of time in the mid-field. All that hard pre-season training basically went to waste.

Goodes: Severely limited by 2 knee injuries that show the rumoured Brownlow Blues do exist.

O'Loughlin & Schauble: In many ways these guys are similar to our fortunes at either end of the park. The loss of these guys throughout the season and their slow returns did indeed show our lack of depth. James and Rogers did not show enough with their limited field time.

Those are my biggest disappointments and there was nothing that anyone could do about it.

Wil
12th August 2004, 02:40 PM
Good post.

I think there is frustration due to expectations and injuries. As I have said I do not think there really is all that much between us competing for the top 4 than where we are now.

I still love our squad and I think Roos is doing a great job putting it together so far. Roos is still learning as a coach and in his gameplan each weak - we just have to be patient.

I did think last year was a brilliant year! We played way over our heads and with a good pre-season and some better luck with injuries we can do it again but go further next time. :cool:

Pink_Lady
12th August 2004, 02:46 PM
Excellent post B_B!

I too, get frustrated when people attack certain players, ALL THE TIME, it's fine to criticise when deserved, but I believe there is such a thing as constructive criticism, and not stinging attacks, where people demean a player both on and off the field, (with comments like, If Jude looked like Jason Ball none of you would want him on the list - because, I don't think Jason Ball is bad looking :D )

At the end of the day, every one on here supports the swans, (albeit the trolls) and want the same thing, and that's success.

Injuries, as we all know have hampered this season, but it's not over 'til the fat lady sings .... (just ask the Kanga's :( )!

Anyway, good post all, and let's sit back and see what September brings - but, you got to be in it to win it!

Go Swannies!

:)

Mike_B
12th August 2004, 02:54 PM
Hubby's gone away again for work, so I'm home alone. I sat down with a nice glass of red and started writing and it just longer and longer ..... I finished the bottle before I finished the post :o

So that's the real reason you aren't at work today!!! :D

BAM_BAM
12th August 2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
So that's the real reason you aren't at work today!!! :D

I had a half day annual leave, :p to go with my 2 other days I'm taking tomorrow and Monday.

although the snooze button did get a heavy work out this morning. :eek:

simone
12th August 2004, 09:44 PM
Impressive posting BAM_BAM, wow!
I am an optimistic fan and being a supporter of the club, I can't help but be a supporter of the players. So when negativity is posted on the board targeting particular players as opposed to constructive criticism it really REALLY annoys me.

Originally posted by Schneidergirl

I get V angry at some of the remarks on here and swear blind that I will never come back on, but after a couple of days break, I'm back again. This community (though, frustrating sometimes) is a wonderful place!

Yep, you said it Schneidergirl :D

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th August 2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Has the season finished, with 3 rounds to go & Sep or does it feel like 1995 when we were minor premiers and after the first 3 rounds did not lose many games at all? You have got me confused JF:confused

Ah, that was 1996 mate.

JF :o

ROK Lobster
12th August 2004, 10:47 PM
told you I was confused. makes much more sense now. sorry

Bron
13th August 2004, 12:13 AM
Yes, we have had lots of people come on board in 1986 and later 1996. But the bandwagoners of this era are no fully fledged supporters in their own rights. Some are even starting up supporter websites here and there. LOL

JF

I trust you mean "of this era are noW fully fledged supporters" rather than "of this era are noT fully fledged supporters" Julian? The odd letter is important!

Bron
13th August 2004, 12:23 AM
I agree Bam Bam. And I also think from another perspective. If players are reading this site, I would be unhappy for them to read the constant bagging. In management, too many people simply criticise. Encouragement and positive, constructive comment helps shape performance. Now, we are not the coaches, but we are their supporter network. Sure I am disappointed with some performances. I believe that we have shown that we can beat anyone. So it's more about the mental aspect (the top sports people recognise that it's the mental stuff that gets them to the top).

Y'all say what you like. I watch how positively people respond to some encouragement and praise. I'll keep writing my happy letters to people each week, encouraging their good performances. (And for those who are wondering, Jude gets an occasional letter after a good performance - which actually does happen - if you can bag Bally for losing a match with a kick, you can cheer Jude for winning a match with a kick!) That's my personal mission and I'll keep doing it.

I drop off here because of the negativity. If a good game got as many happy posts as a disappointing game's beat-up posts, it would be OK. But it's so much easier to criticise!

We all make our own place in the world. I have a team that I love, a team that I support, a bunch of guys that I'm proud of - who even still make me glow with pride when I think of Port Adelaide last year in September, Brissy a few weeks ago and St Kilda. I ride over the disappointments, because better things will come.

I wonder why some of you support a team that you clearly think is so bad! Maybe you just like bitching?!?!

ScottH
13th August 2004, 07:29 AM
Hubby's gone away again for work, so I'm home alone. I sat down with a nice glass of red and started writing and it just longer and longer ..... I finished the bottle before I finished the post :o LOL!!!!
I needed a bottle of red by the time I had finished reading it......... at 6:30 AM!!!! ;)

NMWBloods
13th August 2004, 07:49 PM
To me this year is just like 1997.

The previous year was the first full year of a new coach and was spectacularly and unexpectedly fantastic.

This meant that the next year was full of all sorts of promise, but never lived up to that.

Minimal injuries had benefited that first year but caused troubles in the following year.

Started the season poorly, and struggled to 4-6 after round 10 (5-5 in 2004).

Went on a run, winning 7 from 8, and firmed as a possible premiership contender (6 from 7 in 2004). After rd 18, we were 11-7 and third on the ladder (10-8 in 2004).

Things go downhill in rd 19 - comfortably leading St Kilda by 16 points at 3QT, after holding a steady 3 goal lead all game, we fall in a heap in the last quarter, are outscored 5.8 to 1.7 and lose by 9 points (rd 19 was the Kangaroos loss in 2004).

Of the last three games, we play a bottom 4, a top 4 and a middle side and we win only 1 of those games (against the weakest side). We finish with 12 wins and are destroyed in the first quarter against the Bulldogs! Out of finals we go.

satchmopugdog
13th August 2004, 09:19 PM
Laughed out loud at the reference to Hamlet kicking out from full back. Thanks for that bit of humour as there hasn't been much to laugh about this week especially living in a town where everyone barracks for the Kangaroos.
It prompted me to think of maybe Bevan as Romeo... young.impetus,prone to exuberant decisions. Is Eddie Macguire Macbeth with his ambition to rule the world, or is the Richmond Club Macbeth with all those bodies everywhere?
I know we are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.....still waiting, not for Godot but for that elusive Premiership.
Fifteen teams are Othello, jealous of Brisbane.

Nico
13th August 2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl

I can sympathise with that one. I have been told to shut up and recently have added moron and fruitcake to my CV.

Yes I have been guilty of adding the odd adjective to describe the way certain players perform, however, the topic of criticising players is not unique to the Swans.

I have recently got to know a chap named John Fisher who is the spokesman for the Unofficial Selection Committee at Carlton. Now there is what you would call a passionate supporter (quoted in the Herald Sun today). He and other people volunteer to go out and look at players in junior leagues as forward scouts, and not part of the general recruiting setup at the club.

They also have a direct line to Ian Collins, an agreement developed over a number of years. I asked him today whether they were listened to as an "Unofficial Selection Panel' on player peformance. Answer "Yes".

He said that Houlihan and Bowyer were two players that frustrated the hell out of Carlton supporters right now. Why, because when they get it they have no vision and just turn it over. Sound familiar.

I got the impression that they go a lot harder on their players than we do and have no hesitation in letting their frustrations be known.

It has to be the same here. If a player has a shocker, comes on here and sees the frustration at say, a player continually making the same mistakes, then maybe it will be taken on board.

So keep the incisive in depth comments coming folks, because if as stated, the Club and Players read this site, then some of the opinions we provide might just help germinate an idea or thought with the Club or a Player that can improve the team.

What we do know is many supporters study the game in depth. Clubs, players and coaches don't necessarily have a mortgage on all football knowledge.

Just like the punter keeps the racing industry afloat, so the footy supporter keeps the AFL afloat. Without them it would be a lonely ground.

robbieando
13th August 2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Nico
then some of the opinions we provide might just help germinate an idea or thought with the Club or a Player that can improve the team.

or why could plant the seed of doubt in their heads.

Overall though I agree with what your saying Nico, we shouldn't stop the bagging of players because the players might "read" it, we should only stop if its completely unwarrented.

We all have the right via this board to express our opinions on anything and everything connected to this club, if people want to bag players let them, its a free world and if the players did read it I'm sure they would dismiss it as the rantings of unqualifed nutters.

If they however did take it seriously then as Nico pointed out it could be a good thing.