PDA

View Full Version : Phelan Medal

Coastal Boy
1st September 2004, 03:39 PM
No talk yet on contenders for the Phelan Medal. Who should be in the mix?? On another note, is $93.50 a little pricey for an SFL night?? Is cramming both the Snow and Phelan Medal onto one night better than individual nights that would not be so rushed??

Footy123
1st September 2004, 05:56 PM
As usual, there are quite a few players that could win the Phelan:

North Shore - Crosby, Tom Hill or Daniel McPherson
Uni - Parmenter or Templeton
St George - Garner, Donohoe or Featherstone
Pennant Hills - Brawn or Howarth
East Coast - Seebeck or Trask
Balmain - Dupey or Luff
Wests - McPherson
Campbelltown - Nil

ZAIS
1st September 2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Footy123

Balmain - Dupey or Luff
Wests - McPherson
Campbelltown - Nil

My leading contenders, by club, are:-
North Shore - Tom Hill
UNSWES - Stephen Pech
St George - Peter Dugmore
Pennant Hills - Barnaby Howarth
East Coast Eagles - Gus Sebeck [just ahead of Ben Macnamara]
Balmain - Steve Dupuy
Wests - Jason McPherson
Campbelltown - Radlee Moller

........with Stephen Pech to win in a triller !! ......but there will be some surprises.

ZAIS

Norris Lurker
1st September 2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Footy123

Balmain - Dupey or Luff
Wests - McPherson
Campbelltown - Nil Good list. I suspect the North Shore players will be taking votes off each other, there's no one standout. Same with UNSW-ES.
The other name I'd add to that list of contenders is Laine Spencer from Pennant Hills, who's kicked plenty of goals every week.
For a tip, I'll nominate Gus Seebeck. He's been in sensational form this year, and I've seen him single-handedly win a couple of games.

Footy123
2nd September 2004, 12:42 AM
I agree that Gus will win it but i also think Barnaby Howarth will definitely go close. It should be an intresting night

shearer
2nd September 2004, 09:13 AM
I think Tom Hill from Pech & Featherstone.

Seebeck will get a few 3 votes but east coast didnt win enough games.

Monty Burns
2nd September 2004, 09:16 AM
I can't see Ben MacNamara getting many votes, considering the amount of stick he gives the umpires. That must help Seebeck's chances.

I'm of the school of thought that the votes are shared around in the better teams. The only premiership player to win the medal in the same year since 1997 was Trevor Burnett of Campbelltown ('99). There was also only 1 to play in a losing GF side in the same year as winning the medal since then also (Simon Wilson at St George in '97).

Prince
2nd September 2004, 10:06 AM
barnaby howarth in a close one over ryan talbots step ladder Gus Seebeck.....

shearer
2nd September 2004, 10:08 AM
Be hard for a back pocket to get it Prince, as good as Howarth is.

Prince
2nd September 2004, 11:31 AM
u have no idea shearer..... premier half back flanker in comp.... Sydney AFL rep, former rod podbury gf bog.....

u cant have seen to many penno 1's games this year champ!

Monty Burns
2nd September 2004, 11:33 AM
I have to agree. He kills it off the half back flank, giving Penno tremendous drive.

shearer
2nd September 2004, 11:44 AM
Dear o dear Prince, what is it with Penno people, they all think there some kind of royalty.

Dont get me wrong, Howarth can play, but its hard to rack up 3 votes every week if you arent a midfielder. Look at previous years winners.

As for watching Penno seniors, i have 3 times this year, 3 times they were beaten.

Prince
2nd September 2004, 01:00 PM
Stay away from Ern Holmes then Shearer.... you are obviously cursed with bad luck!

me son
2nd September 2004, 01:08 PM
Watch out for my man Luffy. he might still like a Winny Blue after the game but the man can play. Umpires love him.Cameron Coville will take out the two's B&F The Tigers skipper has done a great job with 2's.

Shearer, only team to beat the Demons 3 times is St George who's a chance for the phelan from Olds Park?

ahhhh me son

shearer
2nd September 2004, 01:36 PM
I reckon Toddy Featherstone will poll very well & the Talbot brothers will do ok.. A smoky could be Tim Addison, he won plenty of bog's early in the year when the side won a heap of games..

If Tim did win, from memory he would be the first player that can still play u/18's to win a major 1st grade award. Although Peter Dugmore won last years 1st grade goal kicking when he was 18.

Umps Friend
2nd September 2004, 02:15 PM
shearer, you blokes down at St G need to be congratulated on your u/18s win.
What a top game of footy it was to watch...

Saints have some big blokes there and no doubt are red hot to take the flag now. I noticed the penno goalkicker only slotted a couple, good effort to whoever held him.

This weekend will be another quality game with Penno v Redbacks. Penno to get up in a tight one, then be up against your St G blokes in the GF.

To everyone out there, get along and watch these young fellas play - skill level is fantastic and they go hard at the ball.

Troy G
2nd September 2004, 02:52 PM
For what it's worth, I think Peter Dugmore from the Crows will get it just ahead of someone from North Shore.

benny_w
2nd September 2004, 10:31 PM
Snow Medal will be won by a former Penrith junior who now plays for Parramatta. Pat gallagher will win in a close one

Rod
2nd September 2004, 10:47 PM
Very well said Umps friend. These U/18 kids are tremendous to watch. Very good skills, excellent understanding of the game, but most impressive thing to watch is their attack on the footy. You don't see many of them shirking it when they're called on to throw their body in. Looking forward to a Demons v Crows GF (if all goes according to plan).
King Carey would have to be the shortest priced Kealy medalist chance of modern times wouldn't he? What did he end up with? 124??

Footy123
2nd September 2004, 11:51 PM
Shearer, you are kidding yourself. I do believe that Barnaby nearly won the Phelan in 2001 before he went to Sandy. He lost just behind Jason McPherson and that year he played off HALF BACK/BACK POCKET. He was also runner-up in 2000 although Mark McKenzie was a run away winner. 2000 BOG in the Grand Final playing HALF BACK. He is a class player and will definitely be close this year.

Check your stats mate

shearer
7th September 2004, 10:23 AM
Footy 123 i wasnt far off,i tipped Tom Hill from Pech.

Your mate Howarth wasnt that far away either.

Good night yet again.

Troy G
7th September 2004, 01:31 PM
So who won?

shearer
7th September 2004, 01:34 PM
1sts- Stephen Pech(UNSW-ES) beat Ben McNamara & Tom Hill
Reserves - Andrew Kyprianou(Balmain)
18's - Morgan Hudson (St George)

SFA - Seniors - Rod Craig(Southern Sharks)

Troy G
7th September 2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks...so any gossip from around the tables or overheard in the toilets? Did the mood indicate that everyone thought it was another successful year? Were there people in corners drinking beers and praying for change? Was there any heckling? Were Balmain the rowdiest table as in past years? Interesting speeches?

j s
7th September 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by shearer
1sts- Stephen Pech(UNSW-ES) beat Ben McNamara & Tom Hill
Reserves - Andrew Kyprianou(Balmain)
18's - Morgan Hudson (St George)

SFA - Seniors - Rod Craig(Southern Sharks)
The results SHOULD have been on the website first thing this morning but they are so slack. Maybe they'll get them up by the end of the week.

Do you happen to have the full results table? Especially the U18?

shearer
7th September 2004, 02:43 PM
give me your email address and i can send you the spreadsheet for all grades.

j s
7th September 2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by shearer
give me your email address and i can send you the spreadsheet for all grades.
Sent a PM. Thanks

shearer
7th September 2004, 05:02 PM
Thats been sent JS.

cHEERS
sHEARER

Umps Friend
8th September 2004, 01:46 PM
Well done shearer, one of your St G young lads grabs the medal.
Does that lad play on / around the ball?
They must be primed now for a big game.

How did the 2 goalkickers go, the penno kid with 120 odd and the St G kid who kicked 90 odd goals. No doubt they were right up there.

shearer
8th September 2004, 01:57 PM
Yes the club was very excited for Morgan, he plays on the ball & is the 18's captain and is a great leader.

Daniel Rixon(now on 94 goals) came second along with the two Riverview boys just one vote behind.

Matthew Carey & Hayden Benger both polled well, i actually thought Carey would get more votes.

The club is very excited now that we have the seniors in there as well. Both sides will be underdogs which will suit us and we know we will have to be at our best to win.

in_the_outer
9th September 2004, 10:24 AM
Shearer,
Can you explain why you think your 18's will be underdogs. Your boys have beaten PH twice this year, including two weeks ago to earn the week off and have the current best player in the competition. Are these some sort of mind tricks you are trying to play on any PH players/coaches that may visit this site? Very interesting, but either way it will be a great game to watch. Probably the most evenly matched 18's GF for many years. Should be a very good prelude to the main game (or is it the main game?).

me son
9th September 2004, 04:57 PM
best of luck to all teams on weekend....

i will be sinking tinnies from 9.45am

in the outer is right, if u win a 2nd semi you can not then claim to be the underdog

great job balmain boys for helping on first weekend of finals series

ahhh me son

weapon
9th September 2004, 10:06 PM
Good to see benny Mac prove Montgomery Burns wrong and be runner up to Pechy. Mac was a different player this year according to the umps, little chat and disciplined courageous footy. Seems Easts have a mortgage on attracting and producing great players!

Well done to all the best and fairests and those who polled well. And well dome to the umps who seemed to get it just about right, Tom Hill a good third, but stiff not to get votes in round 18 with 5 goals in a tight game.