PDA

View Full Version : Cheer Squad Banners

JF_Bay22_SCG
13th September 2004, 12:45 AM
Take a look at these pictures from North Adelaide's banner today in the SANFL.
http://www.rocketrooster.com/NAFC/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1530

Look at the artwork on the sides of the banners.

I've been talking to the CS manager about taking over the banner co-ordination next season, and dream of having such banners at Swans home matches.

We already have great banners in Victoria. Even if the slogan on the back of Fridays was embarrassingly bad. ("2004, the Year of the Swans")

But due to the low amount of people we get to make the things up here, they are often rush jobs with little artwork or witty sayings. (Some of the slogans on the banners have been terrible this season; I used to enjoy the threads here about what slogan we could use. Sadly those days look to be a thing of the past :frown)

I want to start thinking about how we can improve the whole idea of making the banners here in Sydney. I guess the 1st thing we need to think about is when they are made. In Melbourne they get 30-50people to come and help make the banners on a Wednesday night. How do you guys down there get everyone to turn up?

I think that banners are a part of AFL footy culture. And hence it is important to cultivate them. However as with many things up here in Sydney where the culture is still only ust starting to develop, we really need help in getting this moving along. Hopefully the club can come along to the party here and give the Cheer Squad and banner-making more exposure than they do presently. As we need their help to spread the message that banner-making is a tradition that needs to be fostered. Hence it Sydney we have to try extra hard to establish this culture up here.

Does anyone have any expertise in cartooning or design? as I'd be prepared to cough up some of my own hard-earned to have more caricatures etc on our Sydney-based banners. I just want the banners we make in Sydney to be as good as those of the interstate squads. And will stubbornly not stop until we do.

JF

simone
13th September 2004, 01:18 PM
what is the current procedure on developing the banners? how is it different from other clubs?
i think there should be a reference file of "back up brainstorming ideas" to refer to when stuck of good catchy phrases so you're not left with poor choices.

lescygnes
15th September 2004, 06:21 AM
the problem up until now JF, is that the banners were being constructed when people were at work/school, and that there was issues with getting the space available at the SCG to make them.

cheers
john

cruiser
15th September 2004, 11:33 AM
OMG! Check out the North Adelaide Cheer Squad duffle coats covered in the cheer squad badges! I can't believe they still wear them in Adelaide. I still have my old Glenelg CS duffle coat, also covered in badges, but not worm since the 1986 SANFL Grand Final. Perhaps I should offer it to Glenelg CS for them to sell or something - it does have Graham Cornes' (faded)signature on his famous number 12 on the back.

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th September 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
OMG! Check out the North Adelaide Cheer Squad duffle coats covered in the cheer squad badges! I can't believe they still wear them in Adelaide. I still have my old Glenelg CS duffle coat, also covered in badges, but not worm since the 1986 SANFL Grand Final. Perhaps I should offer it to Glenelg CS for them to sell or something - it does have Graham Cornes' (faded)signature on his famous number 12 on the back.

They are pretty awesome hey. A little bit like my FC Bayern denim "Kutte" covered in patches that are still the trend in the German Bundesliga.

It is pretty good that these traditions are still upheld in the SANFL.Duffle coats have gone out of fashion these days in Victoria. It seems the covering of patches was more a South Australian thing in any case.

I met Paralowie Power at a Port Adelaide SANFL match whilst he was wearing his old Port Magpies duffle coat. It looked totally mad, I reckon.

It's shame he doesn't wear it at Power matches these days.

Just a shame that people in the AFL don't get to see them.

Maybe check the FootySA.com forum Cruiser to see if there are any Snouts Bar devotees who could keep it.

JF