PDA

View Full Version : Article on Kennelly

TheMase
19th January 2003, 10:10 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2003/01/17/1042520778165.htm

Swans say it's time to set 'lab rat' free
January 18 2003

'A ball in the air every day': Determined to improve, Tadhg Kennelly hits the training ground. Photo: Steve Christo

The experiment is over, and Tadhg Kennelly and the Swans believe they have developed the right formula, writes Jessica Halloran.

The Irish charm has expired and he is no longer the 'Irish experiment'. He's a footballer with great expectations heaped on him - and the Sydney Swans want him to deliver.

Tadhg Kennelly is happy that the green hype is fading, glad to get rid of a sometimes unsettling tag. "They wrote in the papers, you know 'Irish experiment', it was like I was some kind of lab rat," Kennelly said, laughing.

"I didn't really like that a lot. I know I'm unique, I'm always going to be different ... but people are expecting a lot more of me now."

Kennelly likes the focus being no longer on his background, but on how he plays for the Swans.

One of the players who thrived under the then-interim coach Paul Roos, towards the end of last season Kennelly produced some memorable moments of football.

The athletic 21-year-old really started to mark out his patch of turf, often streaking through the midfield to sneak goals. This year, expectations haven't diminished.

Swans coach Roos anticipates Kennelly will form part of the Swans midfield on a rotational basis but is also hoping for a lift in skill level from the Irishman.

"We are expecting big things from him," Roos said. "He should be part of the starting line-up and he doesn't want to get complacent.

"The end of last year was a fantastic sign but other areas, like his marking and body work, coming from a Gaelic footy background [means] he's still getting used to things: it's a conditioning process."

Swans assistant coach Steve Malaxos agrees and said a more consistent year is expected from Kennelly. Skills are to be the focus.

"There's areas - his marking, his spoiling and tackling - that still have a big scope for improvement," Malaxos said.

"We expect him to be just more consistent. It's always the next step for a player, he's got the ability to, and at times he's a real game breaker. He does it quite naturally, but we just want him to be consistent."

Kennelly knows his weaknesses and said his marking is one definite focus for improvement. "I'm 6 feet 3 inches and it should be a strong point, I want to get stronger at marking," he said.

"In a game situation if Roosy said 'we are struggling down back, we need another tall, we'll send Tadhg down, he's a good mark', then that would be great for the team."

For the next six weeks Kennelly plans on "having a ball through in the air every day", practising his marking.

Over the last two seasons, Kennelly said he had battled with his confidence, and that there had been some very hard times where he considered giving the game away - honestly thinking he didn't have the ability to play football.

While most of his teammates were spoon-fed the game from a young age, Kennelly's Gaelic football background meant that, until recently, he was still grappling with the basics on the training ground.

"My teammates, they all know they are good enough, and it was something I had to get around my head and work on it," he said.

"Whether I was good enough, right up to last year I had doubts. That wasn't a good thing - I was always thinking, am I good enough for this?"

As time went on, game by game, Kennelly realised he could "have a crack".

He said he feels like "one of the boys now", and he is now starting to help out the younger players around him. He's become a little bit of a leader and come match day he wants to become a "game breaker" for the Swans.

Roos said that Kennelly has slotted into the club well.

"He's one of the guys now - he's very vocal around the club," Roos said. "However, the accent - the blokes sometimes laugh at him. He really works hard on the track [and] he's a naturally fit kind of guy."

Since he arrived, pale and skinny, at Sydney airport a few years ago, Kennelly's weight has increased from 72 to 86 kilos, and he has also grown eight centimetres taller.

While bigger and stronger, Kennelly is still learning to adjust to the intensity of playing two hours of football - in Gaelic football, a match runs for just over 75 minutes.

"My skills tend to drop off a bit," Kennelly admitted.

But he feels settled at the SCG now, and ready to really focus on his football. With some of the senior players gone, and Roos promoting a youth ethic, Kennelly believes he now has greater opportunities.

"I feel now I can make a name and step up and have a big career," Kennelly said. "[I can] take more responsibility on the field, it's very exciting."

desredandwhite
19th January 2003, 11:55 AM
Mase - could you please post a link to the URL of the article when you paste it in?

I might make that one of the rules actually :) This is to make sure the original article and site get their rightful credit and views.

jude_boltons_babe
19th January 2003, 12:33 PM
isnt it great news about tadgh kennelly hes going to be a great player for the swans in 2003 and beyond

Cheer Cheer
19th January 2003, 01:35 PM
yeah ta for putting that article up masey
i cant get enough of hearing about kennelly
so that made my day
cant wait to see him in action, boy he is going to be a star

:D

desredandwhite
19th January 2003, 03:42 PM
Don't worry masey - Mike found the link and posted it for you.

No pressure on Tadhg at all is there? :D

Luckily I reckon he has the temperament to handle it.

liz
19th January 2003, 03:50 PM
I thought that, if anything, the article downplays the expectations on Kennelly. It paints his main objective as becoming more consistent with improving defensive skills as a second objective. There are no quotes from the club that suggest they expect him to become the superstar that we all hope (and expect?)

Ajn
19th January 2003, 08:52 PM
Can't believe he had doubts and as for skills he has few worries. The physical development and defensive skills are the only weaknesses before he is a complete STAR!

robbieando
20th January 2003, 12:17 AM
He must have the best skills of any player at the club. After his first match I knew he was something special.

liz
20th January 2003, 12:29 AM
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/19/1042911265522.html

Essentially the same article is in Monday's Age but I've posted a link because it is slightly different (a tad longer - excuse the pun!) and there is a different photo with it. Thought those of us obsessed with Kennelly (and no, Gemma is not the only one!) might like to view it.

robbieando
20th January 2003, 12:32 AM
Now come on Lizz I'm sure Gem has more players locked in her basement other than Tiger :D

At least she lets them out to play

swansrock4eva
20th January 2003, 01:39 AM
roflmao! firstly, if he is gonna start the season at 86kg this yr, that's 3kg more than the start of last year which is a good thing!

And Liz, thank you for the other link - i'm so straved of info atm! :P
Robbie, unfortunately i don't have a basement! *adds "basement" to list of requirements for first house*

Mike_B
20th January 2003, 12:30 PM
I dunno what straved means, but yes, you probably have been starved of info too....

As for requirements for a first house.....is that basement or dungeon?????:D (Gotta live up to those flashing horns you got for your b'day and all)

swansrock4eva
20th January 2003, 12:36 PM
yeah that'd be the one mike! but when it's that late/early, the fingers aren't co-ordinated and the mind sure as hell doesn't pick up on it! :p

and basement vs dungeon - it's a tough choice...

20th January 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by swansrock4eva

and basement vs dungeon - it's a tough choice...
Please go the dungeon Madam Lash.

Tadgh definately needs the overhead marking skills, but he'll get there definitely this year. Can easily see him in every starting line up.