PDA

View Full Version : 2005 - Goss

shearer
17th September 2004, 02:36 PM
After a massive sunday night and a very mad monday, followed by terrible tuesday ive managed to remember a few bits of news for season 2005.

1/ Anthony Leoncelli (former Melbourne Demon) to captain/coach North Shore next year.

2/ Wollongong Lions to be in the SFL next year.

3/ Balmain & Luffy going there separate ways with Luff playing for Norths next year at full forward.

4/ Simon Wilson hanging up his boots and the clipboard and not playing or coaching Norths next year.

Im sure there was more, but its easily been forgotten.

Northshore_fc
19th September 2004, 10:35 PM
If 1 and 3 come true.......next season wont be a contest

Norris Lurker
20th September 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by shearer
1/ Anthony Leoncelli (former Melbourne Demon) to captain/coach North Shore next year. Last I heard, he'd moved to Germany to be with his ballerina bride. But if he's coming back to Australia and living in Sydney, I'm sure any club would want to snap him up.

jude_boltons_babe
22nd September 2004, 02:40 AM
his name is andrew leoncelli and he is in germany with his wife felicha i know that because i know them both and he is not coming to the north shore bombers next year at all

shearer
22nd September 2004, 02:27 PM
He is back in sydney currently working with a North Shore player.

Rod
22nd September 2004, 06:18 PM
Any idea what he's up to if he's not going to the Bombers Jude Boltons Babe? How do you know them?

jude_boltons_babe
22nd September 2004, 07:43 PM
ill try and find out what is going on ok and if i find out ill tell you i think it will be good if he comes to the bombers

Rod
24th September 2004, 03:28 PM
That'd be great JBB, thanks. Although I must disagree that he should go to the Bombers!! I think he'd look terriffic in any colours other than black and red.

Captain
18th October 2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by jude_boltons_babe
ill try and find out what is going on ok and if i find out ill tell you i think it will be good if he comes to the bombers

Can you please do me a huge favour and use grammer??? It would make your posts 30 times easier to read.

Prince
22nd October 2004, 11:06 AM
Luffy,

How did the Balmain boys go in Bali AFL carnival?

Where are you playing next year or have you hung up the boots?

troy34
27th October 2004, 07:56 PM
The day was fantastic, we played 3 lead up games which consist of 2 12 minute halves and 9 a side, it doesnt sound like much but when you have been out drinking for 2 weeks previous, its 36 degrees and you only have 12 available players it is bloody hard. We finished 3rd after the prelim games with a couple of good wins then came up against the best side in the Semi, Mulgrave Lions who play in the Eastern Football League in Melbourne which is better than the Sydney league. It was close at half time but we only had 9 players for the last game and had a few injuries so we just ran out of legs. They went on to win the final easily. It was a great experience though and am very keen to do it again next year but with more players as it was just too hard. The other teams would play 2 or 3 minutes and come of for a spell, in those conditions you just cant run all day. The trip itself was the best I have been on, Bali is the place to go for a footy trip.
As for footy next year, i have definately not hung up the boots, still a few years left yet. I am not coaching Balmain but am still talking with the club about staying on as a player. I may find this hard to do so have also spoken with several other clubs about joining them and hope to make a decision within the next couple of weeks. I really dont want to leave Balmain as I have some great mates there and am a very loyal player but if it becomes too hard to stay on as a player under a new coach I will have to go somewhere else.

Luffy

adnar
4th November 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by troy34

Luffy

Sorry for the off topic, Luffy, I was just wondering when Balmain pre-season is scheduled to start as I never apear to get on the email list.

Cheers
Adan Rand
([email protected])

troy34
4th November 2004, 03:33 PM
G'day Adan.

i will put you on the list.

Unfortunately as I am not coaching i cant tell you when it starts but now you are on the list you will now pretty soon, normally last week in November

Ruda Wakening
5th November 2004, 12:50 PM
I am not coaching Balmain but am still talking with the club about staying on as a player. I may find this hard to do so have also spoken with several other clubs about joining them and hope to make a decision within the next couple of weeks. I really dont want to leave Balmain as I have some great mates there and am a very loyal player but if it becomes too hard to stay on as a player under a new coach I will have to go somewhere else.

Luffy

Can i be your manager?

troy34
5th November 2004, 12:55 PM
No problem, could probably do with one!!

Ruda Wakening
5th November 2004, 01:07 PM
What's the pay like?

troy34
5th November 2004, 01:20 PM
about 10% of not much!!

Ruda Wakening
5th November 2004, 01:43 PM
I'm a glass half full kind of girl, so that's better than half of nothing!

You and me are going places Luffy. I'll be in touch :)

troy34
5th November 2004, 05:31 PM
That's the attitude to have! we'll have to get together and cut a deal.

The Boot
6th November 2004, 10:49 AM
For a second there I had to check that I hadn't logged onto LavaLife ..
:)

Ruda Wakening
7th November 2004, 07:06 PM
What's LavaLife Boot?

NMWBloods
7th November 2004, 07:27 PM
And why is Boot familiar with it...

Pekay
8th November 2004, 01:36 PM
G'day Adan.

i will put you on the list.

Unfortunately as I am not coaching i cant tell you when it starts but now you are on the list you will now pretty soon, normally last week in November hey Luffy mate,good to see you havent shot back to Mexico yet,Sydney actually has a former AFL player in residence.the other one is Gary Ablett,rumoured to be living in Blue Mtns,so heres my proposal-if i can lure God out of retirement,will you come out and coach? Norwest Jets,we play out at Richmond(foot of mountains)and may be playing Nelson Bay in a RAAF team trial,so theres a walk back in time for ya!you can bring your manager,ill pay them 15% of nothing(covers travel)and an endless drink card for Clarendon Tavern,our major sponsor.come on mate,Tigerland has a fight on their hands!!

Pekay
8th November 2004, 01:39 PM
its nothing against you Luffy,if we had the coin we'd share for sure..but footy trip fines added up,and we had to sell the bus to get home,so 2005 budget is spent.still ahve a think about it-FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME IF NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!GO JETS!

Norris Lurker
8th November 2004, 09:29 PM
North Shore have announced a senior coach for next year, but it's not Andrew Leoncelli. It's Michael Hosking, formerly coach of Ararat in country Victoria and cousin of player Nick Hosking.
No official (or unofficial) word on Chell's whereabouts, but if he appears at Gore Hill it won't be in the coaching box. Seems jude_boltons_babe was right.

Destructive
8th November 2004, 11:18 PM
his name is andrew leoncelli and he is in germany with his wife felicha i know that because i know them both and he is not coming to the north shore bombers next year at all

Mel,

For the love of God, can you PLEASE use punctuation?

troy34
8th November 2004, 11:29 PM
A night out at the Tav every Saturday night, a good footy trip, what more could i ask for. The trip has to be Bali though!!!

Pekay
9th November 2004, 02:17 PM
A night out at the Tav every Saturday night, a good footy trip, what more could i ask for. The trip has to be Bali though!!! now your'e talking Luffy,for being so nice about it,you can have #34,long sleeve,Norwest Bottomless Mug every week and a niche at forward pocket.(only coz Ablett is local) you organise the Bali 9s,ill find Ablett!!

troy34
9th November 2004, 04:13 PM
Deal!!

Ruda Wakening
9th November 2004, 04:15 PM
Deal!!

Um, excuse me ... isn't that my job?

troy34
9th November 2004, 04:22 PM
Well I was waiting for you to get back to me and you never did, but nows your chance before the deal is signed, I'm waiting!!

Ruda Wakening
9th November 2004, 04:29 PM
Well i've been busy getting roles for you in Hollywood, sheesh talk about a slave driver!

Sign the deal quick. Pekay said i can have 15%!

Can i also request a pair of ear muffs? I really don't like low flying planes.

Pekay
9th November 2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
Well i've been busy getting roles for you in Hollywood, sheesh talk about a slave driver!

Sign the deal quick. Pekay said i can have 15%!

Can i also request a pair of ear muffs? I really don't like low flying planes. the low lying planes are a deliberate distraction that actually works!!ill pay 20% of that price o have Luffy and his "manager" at Bensons Lane.

Nedra
12th November 2004, 07:58 AM
Word out Penno way is that Danny Ryan has been re-appointed. Any truth to the story ??

Jacks
12th November 2004, 12:45 PM
That is the information that I have heard Nedra even though the rumour was that they were looking for a new coach as early as Round 14 last year.

Nedra
12th November 2004, 01:17 PM
Problem is Jack's, there are not a lot of high quality eligible coaches in NSW. Most clubs would love an ex-AFL retired player, but the cost factors on some of those players would break a club. The younger players delisted are either too young, inexperienced or not footy smart. I actually think that some clubs do not have enough confidence in bringing through their own coaching staff. If the rumour is correct and unless Penno win the flag, I could see the decision ending in tears for both parties.

Pekay
12th November 2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Nedra
Problem is Jack's, there are not a lot of high quality eligible coaches in NSW. Most clubs would love an ex-AFL retired player, but the cost factors on some of those players would break a club. The younger players delisted are either too young, inexperienced or not footy smart. I actually think that some clubs do not have enough confidence in bringing through their own coaching staff. If the rumour is correct and unless Penno win the flag, I could see the decision ending in tears for both parties. seems coaching is Sydneys perpetual bugbear.there would be more ex afl players coaching in Cairns than all of Sydney.it makes me feel better to know that Penno are struggling to find one,thought it was just the western based clubs.but tell me,was Peter Berbakov just a one year blow-in?he was gone as soon as he came by the looks of it.thats why Luffy should be admired,stuck around and coached Balmain,now he's apparentl;y gonna coach the MIGHTY NORWEST JETS!!Hats off to ya Luffy.

troy34
12th November 2004, 01:59 PM
Now dont start any rumours Pekay, there have already been enough flying around, at one stage i was coaching both Nth Shore and Pennant Hills, that would be interesting when they played each other. I am still waiting to see who is going to coach Balmain next year before I decide what do to but will be playing footy somewhere no matter what.

Pekay
12th November 2004, 02:44 PM
Now dont start any rumours Pekay, there have already been enough flying around, at one stage i was coaching both Nth Shore and Pennant Hills, that would be interesting when they played each other. I am still waiting to see who is going to coach Balmain next year before I decide what do to but will be playing footy somewhere no matter what. i just reckon you will look good in blue and white mate.its all hearsay and conjecture,but im still after Ablett,put signs up all thru blue mtns, tif anything,God will get you in a Jets jumper.at least Penrith havent asked you yet!!

Sid
12th November 2004, 08:13 PM
North Shore would have players like the McPherson brothers, Luffy and Leoncelli. It would take a super team to beat the. The Doggies can do it again!

DLH
15th November 2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Pekay
i just reckon you will look good in blue and white mate.its all hearsay and conjecture,but im still after Ablett,put signs up all thru blue mtns, tif anything,God will get you in a Jets jumper.at least Penrith havent asked you yet!!

Give us time mate, give us time, we're already after Gazza to make a comeback in the pseudo Geelong jumper. Once that deal's sown up we'll get onto it!!

Jacks
15th November 2004, 11:00 AM
Berbakov played one year with Penno and blew out his shoulder. He has been working for the league the past couple of years on the website and a few other things.

Would North Shore have the McPherson Brothers or the Mcpherson Cousins or would they just buy everyone. Sounds like the league may have to look at a salary cap.

benny_w
15th November 2004, 11:51 AM
Peter is also a runner with Brad seymour at the Swans

shearer
15th November 2004, 01:48 PM
Jacks, dont believe that cash = success.

Wests,Balmain & Campbelltown pay there players a hell of a lot more than Norths do, yet they were at the bottom of the ladder.

Rod
15th November 2004, 02:38 PM
Couple of things:
1. Danny Ryan is coaching Pennant Hills next season. Penno did advertise the position, but Ryan re-applied and was apparantly the standout candidate
2. Berbakov was only at Penno for one year, but wasn't the sort of one year "blow in" that just chased dollars and split. He's still in touch with blokes down at Ern Holmes. And still works on the league website but might be on holidays by the looks of the site!
3. What do you mean Sid about Nth Shore having all those players? Jase McPherson is staying at Wests next season, I heard through the grapevine that Frosty has retired, Luffy is still undecided (as per his postings), and my mail was that Leoncelli has decided not to play anywhere. Also Hoskins is moving back to Melbourne next season, Rose is heading overseas, and 2 or 3 senior players are retiring.
4. Salary cap would be murder for Sydney footy. We need the Luff's/O'Briens/Berbakovs/McPhersons/Leoncellis to play in this league to a) raise the standard and b) raise the profile. If clubs have the money I think they should try and attract the highest quality players possible. There aren't so few clubs dominating Sydney footy that a salary cap needs to be introduced. Norths would probably be the standout performer over the last 5 years, but they are certainly not close to the biggest payers.

Pekay
16th November 2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by DLH
Give us time mate, give us time, we're already after Gazza to make a comeback in the pseudo Geelong jumper. Once that deal's sown up we'll get onto it!! ill be honest with ya DLH,i reckon he's still got the fire in the belly to play,even if its for nothing.ive put up some signs thru the mountains area on both ends,now its probably a matter of what side of the mtns he lives.i have a strange feeling he's up Bilpin way,reason being that if he's in "reclusve hiding" theres alot more privacy and peace on the Bells Line end,as opposed to Gt Western.but i could be wrong maybe he's given up on footy,and is searching for the elusive "Lithgow Panther"!!!

Ruda Wakening
16th November 2004, 03:25 PM
but i could be wrong maybe he's given up on footy,and is searching for the elusive "Lithgow Panther"!!!

LOL

DLH
16th November 2004, 04:30 PM
ill be honest with ya DLH,i reckon he's still got the fire in the belly to play,even if its for nothing.ive put up some signs thru the mountains area on both ends,now its probably a matter of what side of the mtns he lives.i have a strange feeling he's up Bilpin way,reason being that if he's in "reclusve hiding" theres alot more privacy and peace on the Bells Line end,as opposed to Gt Western.but i could be wrong maybe he's given up on footy,and is searching for the elusive "Lithgow Panther"!!!

I'd say you're on the money, he'd be somewhere up Bilpin way. It's funny how there's been absolutely zero talk about his presence at a local level. Imagine if he was trying to get away from things in country Vic or even the NT, he'd have no hope!!

It would be kind of nice to see the great man stroll through the gate for the first preseason session though wouldn't it :D If nothing else, if you discount us would-be recruiters, he couldn't have picked a better place to be left alone so good luck to him.

Pekay
16th November 2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by DLH
I'd say you're on the money, he'd be somewhere up Bilpin way. It's funny how there's been absolutely zero talk about his presence at a local level. Imagine if he was trying to get away from things in country Vic or even the NT, he'd have no hope!!

It would be kind of nice to see the great man stroll through the gate for the first preseason session though wouldn't it :D If nothing else, if you discount us would-be recruiters, he couldn't have picked a better place to be left alone so good luck to him. the bottom line is he has to play at Norwest or im stuffed.you see im 1.a catholic(not practising)and 2. 1st grade full back.so i really dont want the whole catholic church on my back coz i smashed God!!!i bet i regret saying that.

shearer
16th November 2004, 05:00 PM
Dont let Campbelltown know he is up there, didnt they offer him $100k a few years back.

Rafters
16th November 2004, 10:42 PM
seems coaching is Sydneys perpetual bugbear.there would be more ex afl players coaching in Cairns than all of Sydney.it makes me feel better to know that Penno are struggling to find one,thought it was just the western based clubs.but tell me,was Peter Berbakov just a one year blow-in?he was gone as soon as he came by the looks of it.thats why Luffy should be admired,stuck around and coached Balmain,now he's apparentl;y gonna coach the MIGHTY NORWEST JETS!!Hats off to ya Luffy.

Cairns league is quite a good comp (despite this year's GF farce) - I rate it better than Sydney ... plenty of money about because the league officals up here were quite proactive many a year ago & built many licenced clubs & bought footy grounds (is hard given the cost of property in Sydney & also pokie tax etc etc down there) ... also alot of good deals with local govt & local business. The grounds are a treat to play on.

Anyone seriously interested in coaching or playing up here then feel free to contact me. Including yourself Luffy.

Whitefox
21st November 2004, 09:39 PM
No problem, could probably do with one!!

You're a brave man!

shearer
10th December 2004, 09:16 AM
a few bits of Goss from a recent Wests harbour cruise...Matt Withers & Fiddles from Campbelltown will be at Wests next year

Pekay
20th December 2004, 03:22 PM
a few bits of Goss from a recent Wests harbour cruise...Matt Withers & Fiddles from Campbelltown will be at Wests next year and i heard that one of 1st divisions most consistent players(no names no pack drill) from SWS is off to Wests also..i cant divulge yet,unless aomeone else wants to.. but a great player nonetheless,and a loss to the SFA reps....if they ever exist again.

shearer
20th December 2004, 03:24 PM
Pekay you can say Chris Lees...its ok.

Pekay
21st December 2004, 07:41 AM
Pekay you can say Chris Lees...its ok. PHEW,I HELD MY BREATH FOR AWHILE THERE...YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER SHEARER.ANY OTHER GOSS?

Pekay
22nd December 2004, 11:00 AM
Shearer,read with interest an article on www.bdafl.com.au today, Jason Coullapas(i think thats right spelling) has signed with St George for 05.saw him a few times this and last year for City and BDAFL reps,a great footballer indeed.also read that he will still be living and working in Newcastle and commuting to Mortdale, thats quite a travel,especially when you blokes travel down to Nth Dalton next year.

shearer
22nd December 2004, 11:03 AM
Mick Ryan recommended him to us, it is a commute but he is keen on playing with the club.

Now if i can just getin Micks ear about coming back id be very happy.

Pekay
22nd December 2004, 11:54 AM
Mick Ryan recommended him to us, it is a commute but he is keen on playing with the club.

Now if i can just getin Micks ear about coming back id be very happy. that would take some persuasion,a flag and a great club he would be leaving.also being a Defence man i dont think he can stray too far from base,like the RAAFies in my team.do you know if Hayden Reid is going back to Saints,or getting a full season with Cronulla?

jude_boltons_babe
22nd December 2004, 05:50 PM
i cant wait till next year when local footy starts up again

Rod
22nd December 2004, 07:47 PM
read with interest an article on www.bdafl.com.au today

Not really related to anything in this post, but that Black Diamond website is pretty awesome. If Berbs or anyone from the Sydney AFL website are reading this I'd suggest you check it out. Club personality of the week section particiularly would make interesting reading and get a lot more people checking the site.

Northern_Swan
23rd December 2004, 01:04 AM
A few things...
Shearer, you keep your bloody hands off ryno!!!! he's ours!!!! i bthink (hope) he's pretty settled at the base & liking newy.

Loopy is a gun player and a top pick up for St George, one of a few top players at city (and from that point of view i'm not sad to see the back of him!!!!)

Loopy works for NXFM up here doing the morning show live crosses (giveaways and the like) & i think just finished finance at uni. Before coming up here he was at Melbourne Uni & was a part of a Uni Games Gold medal side
(which might not sound so great but the top end of Uni footy is pretty hot...Dipper coached the Deakin side in perth this year & most of the vic uni's have VFL talent in their squads for the Aus Titles)

as Rod says, the bdafl site is pretty good, it was a 12 month work in progress & was a long time coming. It came about cause there is F%^K all media on the game in the area & the old sportingpulse site was getting about 5,000 hits a month so the league decided to professionalise.

It should be an interesting year up here in '05' as there seems to be a few recruits from out of town being spread around the clubs...time will tell

shearer
23rd December 2004, 11:17 AM
Northern Swan, im actually having a few thousand beers with Ryno tonight and some other St George boys..do signatures on beer coasters count???

Ryno is very happy in Newcastle so you have nothing to worry about.

Very happy to have Loupy at the club, we have lost Todd Featherstone to Qld, so we definately need another on baller.

Pekay, as for H Reid, i would say he will stay at Sutho.

Norris Lurker
23rd December 2004, 09:30 PM
i cant wait till next year when local footy starts up again Me neither, it's going to be great.:)

BTW, the draw for next season was released today. Some points from the draw are:
* The season again runs for 18 rounds, with each team playing each other twice plus 2 byes.
* There are 2 weekends left free for rep games, one in the June long weekend and the other at the start of July.
* Up to 6 games next year will be moved from their original locations to be played as "blockbusters" on Saturday nights at Henson Park.
* The season starts on Saturday 9th April, with Pennant Hills hosting reigning premiers North Shore at Ern Holmes; while new team Wollongong travel to Wagener to take on Wests. On the Sunday, East Coast Eagles open their new home ground at Alan Davidson against Balmain while St George host UNSW-ES at Olds Park. Campbelltown have the bye.

Northern_Swan
24th December 2004, 11:57 AM
where can i find a copy of this said draw?

Pekay
24th December 2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Northern_Swan
where can i find a copy of this said draw? thats what im lookin for Norfy,so we can find out when to meet the Black Diamond premiers, Cardiff!!!!!!!!!!!ohhh its on

Northern_Swan
24th December 2004, 12:26 PM
March 19 or 26. Your Call.
Looking for a game against a first division side too on the other of these dates. Any Takers??

Oscar
24th December 2004, 02:36 PM
Guys .... the full 2005 Premier League draw can be found on www.eastcoasteagles.com.au in the fixtures section.

Northern_Swan
24th December 2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Oscar.
Any News on when the Under 18's, 1st & 2nd division draws come out? With 15 teams as speculated on the ECE site, they may go back to 2 divisions for the 18's?

Oscar
24th December 2004, 03:20 PM
Pretty certain that you will find the 2005 U/18 comp split into two "geographical zones" who will then play each other once, with the results of those games determining who plays the rest of the season in Division 1 & 2.

Modelled on the Qld system, I think the NSWAFL have hit on a winner here and we should all eagerly await the final acceptances of U/18 teams and then see how the draw pans out.

Draft draws have been done based on 12 teams competing through to 16 ....

Pekay
29th December 2004, 11:29 AM
Pete,its only early days i know,but out of interest,do you know of any new areas of Sydney being represented in these new 18s teams?or the usual suspects.

Pekay
29th December 2004, 12:26 PM
for those who havent seen it yet,go to www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146627 state footy south of Canberra has been re-structured.any thoughts?good or bad or done before?

Pekay
29th December 2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rod
Not really related to anything in this post, but that Black Diamond website is pretty awesome. If Berbs or anyone from the Sydney AFL website are reading this I'd suggest you check it out. Club personality of the week section particiularly would make interesting reading and get a lot more people checking the site. i agree Rod,as long as player profiles make their way further west than Penno,and into the hands of 1st division clubs for once.1st div clubs never seem to be a part of SydAFL family,sadly enough.

Pekay
19th January 2005, 12:46 PM
heard over the weekend that a handful of CTown boys have jumped ship to Wollongong,and heard earlier from Shearer that Withers and Fiddler have gone to Wests,so the question is- where does that leave Campbelltown?in the past they could rely on 3rd grade to step up,but their 3rds struggled last year(so did every grade)and it seems all Army(or most) went to South West or Cronulla,and not to Monarch.so any inside info?why have they lost their aura from years gone by?i know it happens alot,teams win for 2-3 yrs then spend their time at the bottom,but they just seem to be dropping further behind.i dont like them really,but its still a shame.

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 05:24 PM
i agree Rod,as long as player profiles make their way further west than Penno,and into the hands of 1st division clubs for once.1st div clubs never seem to be a part of SydAFL family,sadly enough.

So who have the big pickups been this year for each of the clubs, along with losses?

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 05:29 PM
I heard through the great vine, that parramatta and south sydney has lost some of it's star players, to a club in the premier divisions, is this a rumour or true?

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 05:30 PM
who has campbeltown all lost, and picked up? Who is the new gun recruit?

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Northern_Swan
March 19 or 26. Your Call.
Looking for a game against a first division side too on the other of these dates. Any Takers??

East coast and Wests must have a big cheque book this year with all the players they have picked up. Do we have an update of everyone you have picked up to date?

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 06:30 PM
Rod,

How are the rams going this year? How do you think they shall go? Have you got plenty of depth this year?

Rod
11th February 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm not with the Rams the Mighty one. Not really affilliated with a club - just an interested onlooker - mainly look at Premier Division (formerly SFL) so not too sure what's going down at the Rams or with there opponents.

Rowdy#8
11th February 2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Mightyswans2005
I heard through the great vine, that parramatta and south sydney has lost some of it's star players, to a club in the premier divisions, is this a rumour or true?

It's no secret that South West Sydney have lost Leesy to Wests, plus Peter Free and a couple of others to Camden.

Also heard that the whole Kassem clan have parted ways with Parramatta and are training with Wests (along with everyone else in Sydney it seems). That'd be about half of Parramatta's squad gone ...

Coastal Boy
12th February 2005, 09:38 AM
I have heard that almost all of the new recruits at Wests have actually approached them. Wests have a very small junior base and I beleive even in the 60s and 70s in their golden era relied on external recruiting. How much credit for this positive attitude change towards Wests lies with Eynaud and MacPherson?

Mightyswans2005
14th February 2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy #8
It's no secret that South West Sydney have lost Leesy to Wests, plus Peter Free and a couple of others to Camden.

Also heard that the whole Kassem clan have parted ways with Parramatta and are training with Wests (along with everyone else in Sydney it seems). That'd be about half of Parramatta's squad gone ...

So obviously both Parramatta and Wests shall struggle this year, or have they done alright in recruiting?

Pekay
14th February 2005, 01:46 PM
So obviously both Parramatta and Wests shall struggle this year, or have they done alright in recruiting? too hard to say at present,Parra always get their strength up for the season,they have a smart head in Paddy G at the footy helm,but have lost a s@@t-tin of talent.South West have lost plenty but can never be written off,always hard at the pill,and a good home ground advantage(although we have beaten them 2 yrs in a row at Rosedale)plus the Army base down the road throws them(and Cronulla and CTown still i think)a hell of alot of talent,like the RAAF base next to Bensons,so time will tell.we drew Lizards 1st round at Lizard Park,so should be intersting.the problem with the west teams as opposed to uni teams,is theres more to offer down that way,even Manly have top shielas,beaches,a bowls club a kick from the ground as a drawcard.now all they need is 750ton of soil for Weldon and they are right......

Mightyswans2005
14th February 2005, 01:49 PM
too hard to say at present,Parra always get their strength up for the season,they have a smart head in Paddy G at the footy helm,but have lost a s@@t-tin of talent.South West have lost plenty but can never be written off,always hard at the pill,and a good home ground advantage(although we have beaten them 2 yrs in a row at Rosedale)plus the Army base down the road throws them(and Cronulla and CTown still i think)a hell of alot of talent,like the RAAF base next to Bensons,so time will tell.we drew Lizards 1st round at Lizard Park,so should be intersting.the problem with the west teams as opposed to uni teams,is theres more to offer down that way,even Manly have top shielas,beaches,a bowls club a kick from the ground as a drawcard.now all they need is 750ton of soil for Weldon and they are right......

Where is weldon?

Pekay
15th February 2005, 12:30 PM
Where is weldon? Weldon Oval is part of Fisher Park at Curl Curl/Harbord.as previously mentioned,they have a bowls club outside their ground car park.the surface is "undulated rolling hills" as stated at bigfooty.com under "worst regional grounds".geez they have a good ladies day but.

Pekay
3rd March 2005, 10:33 AM
i found today on Killarney Vale site that they may have bought a shuttle bus this year.Adam Cambourne has left the Doggies,Clint Austerberry has left Eagles,and Scarsbrook and Hillier from Holroyd have signed up so far...must be keen to play up there.any other movement,apart from half my first team from last year down at Tigerland?

Nedra
3rd March 2005, 11:21 AM
Pekay,

Cambourn is a local junior returning to the club; Austerberry now lives and works on the Coast, not sure about the Parra guys.
Still a couple to follow I've been told from mate who plays there.
They would need to recruit after a few years of being the celler-dweller's in the BDAFL

Jacks
3rd March 2005, 01:06 PM
Heard on the grape Vine that KV had also picked up a Full Forward who had kicked a bag of goals the last time he played but he hasn't played for a while. Can you confirm or deny this Nedra?

Austerberry will go close to winning the league medal up here if he is half commited to his footy. He is a player of serious quality who will improve the Bombers prospects this year on his own and with the others that have been recruited if the bombers finish in the bottom half of the table heads should roll.

Pekay
3rd March 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Nedra
Pekay,

Cambourn is a local junior returning to the club; Austerberry now lives and works on the Coast, not sure about the Parra guys.
Still a couple to follow I've been told from mate who plays there.
They would need to recruit after a few years of being the celler-dweller's in the BDAFL one of mentioned Parra boys came out to Bensons this week to check it out,was hoping to get him playing,but the fact we will be dropping down a div this year put him off.he also told me that Parras answer to Tiger Woods(not that he dominates play,a long story)may also be considering the move.no names but he's played at Parra,CTown,NCC Hunter Penno and a few other clubs.hence the "TIGER" moniker.some may know of him.

Pekay
3rd March 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Jacks
Heard on the grape Vine that KV had also picked up a Full Forward who had kicked a bag of goals the last time he played but he hasn't played for a while. Can you confirm or deny this Nedra?

Austerberry will go close to winning the league medal up here if he is half commited to his footy. He is a player of serious quality who will improve the Bombers prospects this year on his own and with the others that have been recruited if the bombers finish in the bottom half of the table heads should roll. Bubbles will do well up there,but i hardly think he'll completely dominate up there,its not like its a NUFFY league up there,some great talent resides north of sydney.having said that he'll still do very well,but SydAFL clubs still spend time up there looking- example being Jason Coupallos(i hope i spelt that right-apologies if not)signing with St George from Newcastle City this year

shearer
3rd March 2005, 01:27 PM
Pekay, whats your thoughts on Loupy as a player.?

Nedra
3rd March 2005, 01:48 PM
Jacks,

KV have signed a guy who's last effort was above average.

Yes, he did kick a bag, but that wouldn't be hard considering he didn't leave the goalsquare and was spoon fed.
I'm led to believe that the player has a bit to prove to his partner as she thinks he should retire and spend time with his family.
He's also got a bit to prove to a current SFL coach who thinks that his ability gets left in the backseat of the car on game day where his bag was . . . . . .

Jacks
3rd March 2005, 03:44 PM
Nedra,
I do beleive that this player has the ability to play both back and forward but definately does not have the engine to go on ball.

This however should not be necessary with the likes of Austerberry and Cambourne and a couple of others being recruited.

Is there any truth to the rumour that one of the Cross boys from PH was considering playing with the Bombers I would have thought this would have caused some interesting discussions down at Demon Land.

And Pekay if a guy who would have been a walk up start in the SydAFL Rep team, if he had taken the time to go to training, can't figure in the top 5 of the BDAFL then it is my opinion that is because he is not giving 100% not that the league is full of superstars. I am not saying that there are not good footballers playing up there just that Austerberry is at least as good a footballer as Mick Ryan and he is less likely to get reported.

I guess we will have to wait and see but one thing is for sure we have now made certain that every club in the BDAFL will be paying close attention to young Clint. Sorry Nedra.

shearer
3rd March 2005, 03:49 PM
In all fairness, Austerberry wouldnt get near Mick Ryan.

Nedra
3rd March 2005, 04:19 PM
Jacks,
Brad Cross has signed with Terrigal
Penno would be upset to lose him as he is a real ball winner.
The guy from KV, his engine would struggle to get going from a push start. . .

Umps Friend
3rd March 2005, 04:25 PM
Shearer, back from the dead.... When are you going to update your site at the saints.....Are you coaching back 2 back shearer?

Cross would be a big loss for the demons, especially as one of the earlier threads on RWO had Nunan retiring. 2 quality onballers = big gaps to fill....

shearer
3rd March 2005, 04:34 PM
Im not coaching, work commitments and also taking out my bookies licence means i wouldnt be able to make the commitment required to win a flag.

But i am going to run around in the ressies and hopefully achieve my aim of playing a whole year without ever getting out of the forward 50. We have got a lot of blokes back who played in the GF sides from a few years back, so it will be a decent year.

Here is the link to the new site

http://stgeorgeafc.sydneyafl.com.au/

Pekay
4th March 2005, 08:23 AM

Austerberry will go close to winning the league medal up here if he is half commited to his footy. He is a player of serious quality who will improve the Bombers prospects this year on his own and with the others that have been recruited if the bombers finish in the bottom half of the table heads should roll. i actually posted that reply because it seems to me you dont rate the BDAFL much,by saying "a half committed Austerberry will go close to winning Davey medal".i saw that as a slap in the face of those who work hard up there.ive got nothing against Clint like i said,we played alot of footy together,and he is a talent,but he's not going to dominate as much as you think.ans thankyou Shearer,for the back up.Mick Ryan is an exceptional talent.not much you can say about Jason C,only seen him play once,he's your hard at it,smart footballer,exactly what you want in a recruit.

Oscar
4th March 2005, 09:23 AM
Peter ... the whole issue with Bubble is that living north of Sydney meant that he couldn't commit 100% to East Coast. I'm sure you wouldn't want us to play someone who is not 100% available for training and playing.

So, surely Jacks' point about being committed is exactly that. If Clint can get focussed on playing (for KV) then his abilities will be very evident.

I don't believe for one moment was he attempting to belittle the BDAFL. If Austerberry can win three B&F's in the SFL then surely he is going to go OK in a regional competition. I think that is the point being made.

Pekay
4th March 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Oscar
Peter ... the whole issue with Bubble is that living north of Sydney meant that he couldn't commit 100% to East Coast. I'm sure you wouldn't want us to play someone who is not 100% available for training and playing.

So, surely Jacks' point about being committed is exactly that. If Clint can get focussed on playing (for KV) then his abilities will be very evident.

I don't believe for one moment was he attempting to belittle the BDAFL. If Austerberry can win three B&F's in the SFL then surely he is going to go OK in a regional competition. I think that is the point being made. long time no hear my friend.i dont doubt his ability at all,never have.i can understand the travel issue,at one stage we had a player living at Callala Bay and another at Maclean,which wouldve made us the biggest regional team in history.i do look forward to seeing results up there.just the way that post was worded,we all know that text on a screen conveys no emotion,it seemed to me that Jacks didnt give BDAFL or its players the due respect they deserve.i may wear egg on my face in the coming months,if so then so be it.but i dont think many in Sydney rate the Black Diamond comp.

Pekay
4th March 2005, 10:37 AM
Im not coaching, work commitments and also taking out my bookies licence means i wouldnt be able to make the commitment required to win a flag.

But i am going to run around in the ressies and hopefully achieve my aim of playing a whole year without ever getting out of the forward 50. We have got a lot of blokes back who played in the GF sides from a few years back, so it will be a decent year.

Here is the link to the new site

http://stgeorgeafc.sydneyafl.com.au/ so now SydAFL has its own bookie...a step in the right direction Shearer,come out to Bensons for a day,one way or another someones going to the cleaners!!!i see on your site that your mob are off to Dubbo,got some good talent running around up there,am going o try and get up there for the weekend,put some money into the local economy,and possibly destroy my liver at the same time!are you going up full strength or close to?

Umps Friend
4th March 2005, 01:21 PM
Good to hear shearer pulling on the boots....a few old boys is always good for winning a 2s flag... look at north shore.
Shearer the bookie, maybe you could frame a market for us here at RWO.
Heres a go from me..

Norths - 3/1
UNSW - 4/1
ECE - 4/1
Wests- 4/1
St G - 6/1
Penno - 7/1
Balmain - 8/1
Gong - 10/1
C/Town - 100/1

Rod
4th March 2005, 10:30 PM
Good call Umps friend. Don't know about the value of putting a dollar down on Balmain at 8/1 though?? How's the official form looking shearer?
Here's my 2 cents:

Norths: 4/1
ECE: 6/1
UNSW/ES: 8/1
Wests: 8/1
St G: 10/1
Penno: 15/1
Gong: 25/1
Balmain: 50/1
C'Town: 101/1

Umps Friend
7th March 2005, 08:59 AM
Rod, I'll take some of your ECE money. I rate them this year. They have recruited just about every player on the market and add to that a few of the quality boys that are still around, I think they'll be around the mark.
I hope they don't so the same as previous years, start like a house on fire then fade out. A finals appearance is warranted, wouldn't have a clue if they have yet to be in a finals series.

Time will tell eh Rod....

shearer
7th March 2005, 09:19 AM
Market as requested

Norths 6/4
Penno 4/1
E/Coast 6/1
St George & UNSW 8/1
Wests 11/1
Gong 20/1
Balmain 75/1
Campbelltown 150/1

Rod
8th March 2005, 09:38 AM
Very interesting Shearer. I'd throw a couple down on Wests at 11/1. Thought they'd be a bit shorter with their recruitment over the off season.

And yes Umps Friend, the Eagles should shake things up this year. That's a good question though - anyone know if they've played finals footy? Oscar? I'd think they would have at some stage surely.

shearer
8th March 2005, 09:51 AM
A few years ago Rod, Wests recruited very well and got flogged in the semis by 100 points. I know they have recruited very well but i cant have everyone short...Norths i think have made the last 6 Grand Finals.

East Coast made the semis one year when they were known as Baulko.

Pekay
8th March 2005, 10:29 AM
heard that Wests 1sts only just lost to Ainslie Roos down in Canberra,any truth to it?any other trial results from weekend?not to gauge season performances,just out of interest.and who is playing who this week or next?

Jacks
8th March 2005, 11:11 AM
Pekay,
I beleive the Ainslie team that the Magpies played was an Under 23 team which still would have been strong but may stop any Ainslie supporters from getting concerned about the result. Not sure what sort of team Wests took down but it sounds like it was a good early season hitout for them.

Shearer is correct that Baulko (ECE) did play finals way back when but are yet to play in a First Grade final as the Eagles. I beleive they have a practice match this weekend against Pennant Hills which may give an early indication of how the new recruits are fitting in. It will be a 6 quarter affair with most of the list getting a run according to people around the club.

DLH
8th March 2005, 11:14 AM
heard that Wests 1sts only just lost to Ainslie Roos down in Canberra,any truth to it?any other trial results from weekend?not to gauge season performances,just out of interest.and who is playing who this week or next?

Penrith went down to Killarney Vale by 3 points apparently although the story I heard was that the kids on the scoreboard may have got it wrong and the Rams actually got up. In any case, wasn't there but according to those who were there were some promising signs from the Rams boys so hopefully a promise of things to come. Not sure how strong a side KV put out though.

For your benefit PK, seems Pickles has moved up the Central Coast although I'm not aware of who he's playing for at this stage.

Also noted on the Parramatta website that they had appointed Darren Currie as their coach. The article on their site said that his old man John had played 200 senior games for St.Kilda, although a quick look at the records shows that no-one by the name John Currie has ever played League Footy. I wonder if this is the same Darren Currie that applied for the Penrith job a couple of years ago and said he'd played at West Adelaide? We rang Westies at the time to confirm and they'd never heard of him......

shearer
8th March 2005, 11:18 AM
Id be a rich man for every bloke from interstate who has come through the gate saying they had played at a VFL club and was on $700 a game..When we would ring the club they had never heard of them..

Jacks
8th March 2005, 11:26 AM
I believe this is the same Darren Currie that has been to just about every club in Sydney with a different playing history. He did play 1 or 2 games for the Eagles Reserves back when David Beauchamp was coaching them and it was proven that he had difficulties Marking, Kicking and Handballing but other than that he was a fairly decent player.

It seems to me that interstate footballers forget that NSW has a phone system that is linked to the rest of the country and with a lot of the Premier League clubs having affiliations with AFL clubs they can find out basically how many hot meals a plyer had at a club let alone if he played there or if he was any good.

Pekay
8th March 2005, 12:32 PM
I believe this is the same Darren Currie that has been to just about every club in Sydney with a different playing history. He did play 1 or 2 games for the Eagles Reserves back when David Beauchamp was coaching them and it was proven that he had difficulties Marking, Kicking and Handballing but other than that he was a fairly decent player.

It seems to me that interstate footballers forget that NSW has a phone system that is linked to the rest of the country and with a lot of the Premier League clubs having affiliations with AFL clubs they can find out basically how many hot meals a plyer had at a club let alone if he played there or if he was any good. i wasnt gonna say anything on the subject,but he came out to Bensons with Rushworth and Camberwell as references.lets hope for Parras sake he does the right thing and stays put,the last thing a club needs at this stage is instability. amazing to find out the other clubs he's been to in Sydney,almost like Glen Page(haha sorry Pagey)Jacks,i guessi just saw the result,thought there was more to it than that,but still a good effort.are you lacing the boots on this year mate?

Pekay
8th March 2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by DLH
Penrith went down to Killarney Vale by 3 points apparently although the story I heard was that the kids on the scoreboard may have got it wrong and the Rams actually got up. In any case, wasn't there but according to those who were there were some promising signs from the Rams boys so hopefully a promise of things to come. Not sure how strong a side KV put out though.

For your benefit PK, seems Pickles has moved up the Central Coast although I'm not aware of who he's playing for at this stage.

Also noted on the Parramatta website that they had appointed Darren Currie as their coach. The article on their site said that his old man John had played 200 senior games for St.Kilda, although a quick look at the records shows that no-one by the name John Currie has ever played League Footy. I wonder if this is the same Darren Currie that applied for the Penrith job a couple of years ago and said he'd played at West Adelaide? We rang Westies at the time to confirm and they'd never heard of him...... yeah saw the result on their website,a good effort.im told Pickles will be at Terrigal this year,i think his dad lives up that way,and he may join ex-Ram Johnny McCann at the Panthers.

DLH
8th March 2005, 01:11 PM
yeah saw the result on their website,a good effort.im told Pickles will be at Terrigal this year,i think his dad lives up that way,and he may join ex-Ram Johnny McCann at the Panthers.

Thanks for the heads up mate. I'm sure Pickles and Johnny Mac will play some good footy for them this year. Both are quite handy.

BTW, how are things going over at the Jets since the decision to drop back to Div 2? Hopefully the boys over there are still going full steam ahead ready for a big season despite the setback.

Jacks
8th March 2005, 01:25 PM
I can't see it being necessary to lace them up again this year with an influx of recruits and some pretty good young blokes coming through the 18's although you are a long time retired and I am not ruling out the possibility of having a run somewhere this year. I may even slip the boots on against the Dragons and run around with Shearer, it would be just like old times we'll just wait and see.

I am however more likely to pop up somewhere away from the Premier league where I am more likely to be able to burgal a kick here and there.

Pekay
9th March 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by DLH
Thanks for the heads up mate. I'm sure Pickles and Johnny Mac will play some good footy for them this year. Both are quite handy.

BTW, how are things going over at the Jets since the decision to drop back to Div 2? Hopefully the boys over there are still going full steam ahead ready for a big season despite the setback. yeah going well,looking forward to the challenge.have retained enough talent from the exodus to suggest we will do alright.to be honest i cant wait to play Penno,havent played them since 98,got some old hidings to rectify.but we are all hungry to hit the field,no doubt.