PDA

View Full Version : An Observation on James

ihamilto
22nd November 2004, 01:38 PM
Towards the end of last season the Swans Reserves played Wagga Tigers in Wagga they lost the match but during the third quarter James was moved forward he proceeded to take 4 screaming marks in a row and I said then that this guy belongs in attack.

Heaths marking is his strength playing in defence he is restricted a backmans job is to nullify the oppositions forwards not take screaming pack marks, to make the most of his marking ability I would play him deep in attack give him a licence to go for his marks and see what happens, I think we will be quite happy with the results.
cheers Ian:)

liz
22nd November 2004, 01:49 PM
Jame's marking ability was evident from the day he made his senior debut, way back at the end of 1999. I remember him taking 3 or 4 superb marks in that 100+ pt thrashing dished out to the Crows in Plugger's last ever Sydney game (well, until the comeback!)

It's still a valuable skill to have in defence though. Dunks was the consummate back man and not least because he was such a wonderful mark of the ball.

mocaholic
22nd November 2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by liz
It's still a valuable skill to have in defence though. Dunks was the consummate back man and not least because he was such a wonderful mark of the ball.
Dunkers: best mark of a ball for his size I've ever seen - and it was 99% one grab. Additionally, he was a great judge of a mark - if he wasn't sure, he'd punch. Must admit he had this over Roosy, who always backed himself when not quite in position.

If Heefy had these traits, plus a better kicking ability than our revered ex-no. 6, then he'd be a permanent backman.

ihamilto
22nd November 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by liz
Jame's marking ability was evident from the day he made his senior debut, way back at the end of 1999. I remember him taking 3 or 4 superb marks in that 100+ pt thrashing dished out to the Crows in Plugger's last ever Sydney game (well, until the comeback!)

True it is great to have marking ability as a defender but you have more freedom to use it in attack and Dunkley was so physically strong he was seldom shoved out of the way but I may be proved wrong and as long as he is playing well I dont really mind where he plays full credit to him for persistance.
cheers Ian:) :)

timthefish
22nd November 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by liz
[Marking is] still a valuable skill to have in defence though. Dunks was the consummate back man and not least because he was such a wonderful mark of the ball.

particularly at the kick-in.

mocaholic
22nd November 2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
particularly at the kick-in.
this used to amaze me. We used to do this ALL THE TIME (good old Scotty Direen), and I reckon about 75% of the time he'd either mark it or bring it down. And if he marked it, there'd be somebody running past for the handball (a nice Schwatta backline possession). Why wasn't that stopped by the opposition?

Wil
22nd November 2004, 03:17 PM
Who played FB/CHB in the reserves for the majority of last year?

The original dropping of Heath confused me, because like him or not, he is our backup Fullback. With the two midfield draft choices we should not of dropped/redrafted Heath but one of the "lesser" midfielders and then drafted another tall with Heath's draft pick. Ah well anyway...

sharpie
22nd November 2004, 03:39 PM
Its all good and well to say that he is best suited to the forward line, but if we want to have him up forward, and Saddo up forward, we are running out of tall timber to play in defense. Not to mention the oversized and overcrowded forward line we would want to field.

Someone, such as him, Saddo or LRT, just have to stand up and claim FB or CHB as their own to help out Schauble.

timthefish
22nd November 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
Someone, such as [James], Saddo or LRT, just have to stand up and claim FB or CHB as their own to help out Schauble.

absolutely. while i believe our backline has performed well and on it's merits we simply need that extra-strength spine to take on brisbane, st kilda, port and others.

ihamilto
22nd November 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
Its all good and well to say that he is best suited to the forward line, but if we want to have him up forward, and Saddo up forward, we are running out of tall timber to play in defense. Not to mention the oversized and overcrowded forward line we would want to field.

Someone, such as him, Saddo or LRT, just have to stand up and claim FB or CHB as their own to help out Schauble.
Personally I would play LRT at CHB he has the height mobility and hopefully after a big preseason on the weights the strength to handle the position, James is only 190 cm and the likes of Brown and co would shove him aside.

NMWBloods
22nd November 2004, 04:09 PM
I'll be amazed if LRT becomes permanent CHB this year - I just can't see that he has the experience to do it well yet.

I agree with Sharpie in that we seem to be pushing all of these guys into the forward line - we'll have a great attack, but that's not been our problem.

ihamilto
22nd November 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I'll be amazed if LRT becomes permanent CHB this year - I just can't see that he has the experience to do it well yet.

I agree with Sharpie in that we seem to be pushing all of these guys into the forward line - we'll have a great attack, but that's not been our problem.
You may be right but at least give him a trial in the preseason matches to see how he fares remember Jared Rivers was also inexperienced yet he had a fine year at CHB for Melbourne.
cheers Ian

NMWBloods
22nd November 2004, 04:56 PM
Remember though that Rivers had played a lot of junior football (like most others in the AFL) whereas LRT is still very new at it.

Certainly more than happy to see him get a good go at CHB - however, I'm not sure if he will be our great saviour just yet.

ROK Lobster
22nd November 2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks Bloods. Saved me typing it. LRT still looks lost too often. Time on the paddock will help but we aint going to win a flag on his back yet.

NMWBloods
22nd November 2004, 05:10 PM
Anything for mudman!

liz
22nd November 2004, 05:16 PM
I with the school that James needs to make it as a defender to have value for the Swans, especially if Saddo is to be used more as a forward.

Playing that fourth tall forward at AFL level isn't always an easy role because you aren't the main focus of attention and have to try not to get in the way of Baz, O'Loughlin and maybe a resting ruckman.

Saddo took to it pretty well at times last year and expect that we'll see him used this way in 2005, especially while he recovers from his knee.

Mark
22nd November 2004, 06:26 PM
Remember though that Rivers had played a lot of junior football (like most others in the AFL) whereas LRT is still very new at it.

Certainly more than happy to see him get a good go at CHB - however, I'm not sure if he will be our great saviour just yet.

Agree with some of that and the fact he sometimes looks lost.

But, he has the abilty to at least bring the ball to ground 99.9% of the time. Also being assigned a specific player/role will help his positioning rather than hindering it surely ?

He also has the physique to do the job, something we are not over obundant in

Nico
22nd November 2004, 06:35 PM
Problem with Heath James. Not enough ground time. He just hasn't had enough ground time to allow him to settle into some sort of rythm.

ihamilto
23rd November 2004, 11:08 AM
Just a couple of final points I take on board your comments regarding LRT and his inexperience but it is interesting to note that he was an all australian at under 18 level in 2001 and he did play in the under 17s against Ireland, injuries have hampered his progress lately and I guess we will just have to wait and see how he shapes up after the preseason.

On Heath James it is true that it may be hard to find a spot for him on the forward line at present but if we were to have injuries then why not give him a run at Full Forward.
Finally the more I post the more I am enjoying this forum a friendly place to chat about all aspects of the club we all love ( well nearly all of us).

ps Hope my layout of posts is now easier to read end of the box does not mean hit enter.

NMWBloods
23rd November 2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ihamilto
ps Hope my layout of posts is now easier to read end of the box does not mean hit enter.

Well I hadn't noticed, hence it must mean they are much easier to read!! Thanks! :)

Bleed Red Blood
23rd November 2004, 11:46 AM
Much easier to read :)

Just on your James thing... I don't think he should be played forward, needs to be a CHB/FB to be valuable enough.

BAM_BAM
23rd November 2004, 01:48 PM
Well I hadn't noticed, hence it must mean they are much easier to read!! Thanks! :)

now that's saying something. The man is an absolute tyrant when it comes to things like that. :D

They played LRT as well as Matthew Davis, Rowan Warfe, Aaron Rogers and one of the top players made a few appearances in the backline. I know there wasn't a huge amount of experience back there, but they did look a little lost at times. That could also have been due to the fact that there was a lot of rotating players trying to find their niche, they also had the run of injuries to overcome.

NMWBloods
23rd November 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
now that's saying something. The man is an absolute tyrant when it comes to things like that. :D

Absolutely - spelling Nazis have nothing on me!!

chammond
23rd November 2004, 11:17 PM
. . . . Nazis . . . . .

Aha . . . you lose!

Anyway, you're just a fascist really.

swansrule100
23rd November 2004, 11:18 PM

agreed

he doesnt seem to be a chb to me either
i think at his best he might be part of a ruck/forward rotation

NMWBloods
23rd November 2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by chammond
Aha . . . you lose!

Anyway, you're just a fascist really.

Huh? :confused:

Benevolent Ert
24th November 2004, 12:03 AM
Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly.

Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's Law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

swansrule100
24th November 2004, 12:21 AM
geez this thread went off topic quick im lost! :P

Benevolent Ert
24th November 2004, 01:05 AM
Don't you just love the off-season?

swansrule100
24th November 2004, 01:07 AM
its cricket season not off season! :D

NMWBloods
24th November 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ert
Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly.

Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's Law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

Ah thanks Ert - yes I have seen that before, however I don't think my use of the term in that case was what the 'law' had in mind...

Wouldn't be much use in a newsgroup about WWII...

NMWBloods
24th November 2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by swansrule100
its cricket season not off season! :D

Duck season!!

chammond
24th November 2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ert
In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly.

Phooey . . . I'm an activist with bad taste :)

Tooth Fairy
24th November 2004, 11:57 AM
Wabbit season!

ScottH
24th November 2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
Wabbit season! Now I confused again!!! :(

swansrule100
24th November 2004, 12:46 PM
maybe we should all just sing a song then

ihamilto
24th November 2004, 01:07 PM
Now guys I dont know how we went from a thread on Heath James then a discussion on LRT to Nazis and wobbits, but back to football if only Mark Powell could put on about 8kgs he may yet make a key defender most of his junior football was at CHB he can certainly mark his strength is the concern.

NMWBloods
24th November 2004, 01:28 PM
I've been very disappointed with Powell - he really looked like a footballer to me, but just hasn't come up with the goods yet. Hopefully he does this season.

swansrule100
24th November 2004, 01:36 PM
to be honest powell deserved to go before thewlis IMHO

BAM_BAM
24th November 2004, 01:45 PM

can't argue with you there

ihamilto
24th November 2004, 01:50 PM
Maybe however Powell is still only 20 I think,but if he fails to step up this year I would say he is gone for sure maybe that will motivate him to bulk up over the preseason and really have a crack.

GoBloods
28th November 2004, 04:19 PM
i think we are yet to see the best of heath james. and hopefully by the end of 2005 we will be singing his praises

Nico
28th November 2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods
i think we are yet to see the best of heath james. and hopefully by the end of 2005 we will be singing his praises

I suspect many people said that at the start of 2004, me included.