PDA

View Full Version : Roos responds to Eade criticism...

liz
21st February 2005, 12:34 AM
...and gives us some insight into his attitude towards stoppages.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/20/1108834659377.html

Whatever the merits of this particular argument, it's a little ironic that Eade is taking a shot at Roos given the criticism that Eade himself received - fairly or otherwise - for inventing the last "great blight" on the game, flooding.

swansrule100
21st February 2005, 12:36 AM
To think i was hoping Eade would do well, bit rich.

I agree with Roosy.
Anyway if we (or any team) can control the game that much to keep stoppages up then good luck.
However good teams wont let it stop them from winning though!

ScottH
21st February 2005, 06:37 AM
Given that the flood was in full force by the dogs on Sat, you are right Liz, like the pot calling the kettle.

As for stoppages, when you compare the total hitouts per game, games other than Sydney ones, have a lot more hitouts than a swans game, which to me suggests we don't have that many stoppages as others.

Although doing a quick look at some of lasts years games, we were up there in the top 3 for the 5 rounds I looked at.

footyhead
21st February 2005, 07:23 AM
Everyone here is backing Roos, which I suppose is only natural.
The reality is a little more complex.
I am not in favour of throwing the ball up for various reasons.

But the problem could be dealt with by having a 10 meter or 20 meter rule. IE at all stoppages only tree players (or tow or 4 or whatever arbitary number the rules people at the AFL come up with) from each team, say a Ruckman and two Rover / midfielders, are allowed within 20 meters of the ball.
This would be at the unpires discretion, but any player infringing the rule would automatically give away a free kick.
Hay presto problem of over crowding at stoppages resolved and we don't have to make our great game any more like basket ball than it already is.

----------------

In this case I thnk Roos is wrong, and I think Eade has a F' hide to lecture Roos on the implementation of a tactic that he himself implemented to the detriment of the spectical of the game.

ScottH
21st February 2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
But the problem could be dealt with by having a 10 meter or 20 meter rule. IE at all stoppages only tree players (or tow or 4 or whatever arbitary number the rules people at the AFL come up with) from each team, say a Ruckman and two Rover / midfielders, are allowed within 20 meters of the ball.
This would be at the unpires discretion, but any player infringing the rule would automatically give away a free kick.
Hay presto problem of over crowding at stoppages resolved and we don't have to make our great game any more like basket ball than it already is.
Not a bad idea, however, I think that trying to enforce this type of ruling fairly and consistently would be almost impossible, without having lines/circles drawn all over the ground which would be detrimental to the game.

Maybe only haing two people contest the ruck contest, rather than having a 3rd/4th or 5th ruckman coming. If that happened then a free is awarded.

footyhead
21st February 2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Not a bad idea, however, I think that trying to enforce this type of ruling fairly and consistently would be almost impossible, without having lines/circles drawn all over the ground which would be detrimental to the game.

Maybe only haing two people contest the ruck contest, rather than having a 3rd/4th or 5th ruckman coming. If that happened then a free is awarded.

In Rugby League, they have a rule were by only one player is allowed more than 5 or 10 yards within the other team after a tackel. Again to stopp over crowding at stoppages.
The referees seem to judge that one ok. Why could n't the AFL's umpires have the ability to do the same ? God there's enough of them!!

ScottH
21st February 2005, 08:21 AM
RL is a completely different game. They play on opposite sides of the field (at stoppages) and the are kept back five(?) metres, with only the man standing the mark allowed within this zone. The also have lines marked across the ground at regular intervals to give a guide.

As AFL does not have "sides" or straight lines marked on the ground, it would be completely up to the umpires discrection. And as we have seen from the "distance" rules within AFL they vary dramatically according to how the ump feels on the day.

A 50 metre penalty can be anywhere from 40 to 60 metres.

How far do players run with the ball?

footyhead
21st February 2005, 09:11 AM
I agree umpire discretion(or indiscretion) is a huge problem in the game and generally I am in favour of the less rules the better.

LittleSchneider
21st February 2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
In Rugby League, they have a rule were by only one player is allowed more than 5 or 10 yards within the other team after a tackel. Again to stopp over crowding at stoppages.
The referees seem to judge that one ok. Why could n't the AFL's umpires have the ability to do the same ? God there's enough of them!!

Its 10m and the refs have problems trying to watch the ruck and trying to keep the opposition on-side. But, due to the fact that in AFL you have multiple umpires it could work.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st February 2005, 12:02 PM
Overall I'm in favour of having the umps throwing the ball up asap, however I noticed that sometimes players were still getting to there feet so the ruckmen were running into traffic to get the tap. I think that is VERY dangerous, perhaps the umpies could move a few metres inboard?