PDA

View Full Version : Crows sneak home despite Nicks' heroics

Reggi
5th March 2005, 09:06 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Crows-sneak-home-despite-Nicks-heroics/2005/03/04/1109700685269.html

I am not responsible for the apostrophe on Nicks', all of us who were able to pass grade 5 of course know that it is "Crows sneak home despite Nicks's heroics"

Bas
5th March 2005, 09:34 AM
I liked the part about no injuries to our guys.

Now for next week and the game in which Fitzy did his knee and Lewis broke his arm a few pre-seasons ago.

Ha anyone sited M.Davis or Eriksen in the pre-season?

How did Grundy go on the field last night?

midaro
5th March 2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Reggi
I am not responsible for the apostrophe on Nicks', all of us who were able to pass grade 5 of course know that it is "Crows sneak home despite Nicks's heroics"
:confused:

dendol
5th March 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by midaro
:confused:

:confused: indeed!!

sharp9
5th March 2005, 11:18 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking-News/Crows-sneak-home-despite-Nicks-heroics/2005/03/04/1109700685269.html

I am not responsible for the apostrophe on Nicks', all of us who were able to pass grade 5 of course know that it is "Crows sneak home despite Nicks's heroics" You're completely wrong there, Reggi. Nicks' is correct, I'm afraid....maybe it's Grade 6 grammer where you get to what to do with possession apostrophe's when the person's name ends with an s. Still pronounced Nicksis, though. ;)

sharp9
5th March 2005, 11:20 AM
Just for everyone's amusement I'm going to leave my apostrophe error up there for all to see......it was a typing error! (and the dog ate all my homework).

Rod_
5th March 2005, 11:22 AM
Didn't we loose Sunny in the same game last year? Tige got injured and made room for Bevo?

Rod_

midaro
5th March 2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sharp9
Just for everyone's amusement I'm going to leave my apostrophe error up there for all to see......it was a typing error! (and the dog ate all my homework).
...but you really should fix the spelling error. :p
What's the name of the USENET Law that suggests that whenever you criticise someone's grammAr, you'll make an error in that same post?

Reggi
5th March 2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sharp9
You're completely wrong there, Reggi. Nicks' is correct, I'm afraid....maybe it's Grade 6 grammer where you get to what to do with possession apostrophe's when the person's name ends with an s. Still pronounced Nicksis, though. ;)

Heh heh - no I just like acts of wanton pedantry, and am aware this is one that spurs pedants to new hights. Mostly because the possessive inflection on surnames ending in 's' sounds odd so many go for the additional s.

JF_Bay22_SCG
5th March 2005, 12:26 PM
Now children, are we going to worry about how you spell Nicks's name.

Or are we going to talk about losing by a point to the lowly Crows in Adelaide?

Here are 2 good threads from Bigfooty about what went on last night.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156927

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156952

Thanks to Liz for asking the South Australians how our fellas went.

JF

Tooth Fairy
6th March 2005, 03:25 PM

I am not responsible for the apostrophe on Nicks', all of us who were able to pass grade 5 of course know that it is "Crows sneak home despite Nicks's heroics" Reggi, I'm no expert on grammar but I think you will find that you are wrong and the paper is write (hehe)

swansrule100
6th March 2005, 03:44 PM
I think we did ok and its not an important game. I wish we wouldnt lose to the crows though, of all the teams to lose to :(

Cher
6th March 2005, 06:47 PM
Aren't practice matches for doing just that? Practicing all kinds of stuff.

..and I don't care about grammer or apostrophe's on weekends

Ajn
7th March 2005, 09:24 AM
Hey I am all for practicing, but what's with the ultra defensive tactics, better to free run and lose by more, whilst getting some worthwhile practice for the youngsters

Thunder Shaker
7th March 2005, 11:00 AM
We lost by a point, but it was a practice game in awful conditions so it's not that important. I'm pleased that Nicks can still be dangerous at full forward. I have always liked him and it's good that we have an alternative for FF should MOL not be fit.

On the possessive apostrophe, I'm not certain about its use here. I think that "Nicks's" may be better because the noun is singular, but I consider "Nicks'" to be acceptable usage. I will reserve judgement on this because I need to look up this fine point of English grammar. I'm just happy that the apostrophe was used in its correct sense of indicating possession, and wasn't another example of the "greengrocers' plural" finding its way into a newspaper.

NMWBloods
7th March 2005, 11:06 AM
Nicks' is correct.

The only worry is that again we went long periods without scoring a lot. Still, it was quite wet 9and we are crap in the wet) so that mitigates it a little.