PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Death at Canberra Club

Troy G
22nd January 2003, 09:51 AM
All the clubs in Canberra have been affected in some way by the fires but the Weston Creek club has been hardest hit to date following the death of Mr Doug Fraser the Club Secreatry.

Mr Fraser's family was a regular host family for the Rams including Ben Fixter who stayed with the family for two years. Five people at the club have also lost their homes.

jude_boltons_babe
22nd January 2003, 12:37 PM
im sorry to hear that mr doug fraser died its very sad

robbieando
22nd January 2003, 07:52 PM
That is very sad news

All my wishes go out to the family of all involved.

Cheer Cheer
22nd January 2003, 08:36 PM
The canberra situation is shocking to me, I just see the news reports down here in melbourne, but my condolsences go out to all affected including any who might frequent this website. Very sad indeed.

Destructive
22nd January 2003, 10:27 PM
Very sad news. My heart thoughts, and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Troy G
24th January 2003, 05:25 PM
This story from the Canberra Times

The last 12 months of 60-year-old Doug Fraser's life were some of his happiest.

Four days before he died trying to protect his home from the firestorm that ripped through his suburb of Duffy, Mr Fraser's first granddaughter was born, whom he immediately christened Blossom.

A year earlier he had become a grandfather for the first time when Oliver whom he called Tiger was born to his son David and daughter-in-law Louise.

The hundreds of mourners at Mr Fraser's funeral yesterday were told how he revelled in sharing his love of the outdoors with Oliver, and spent Christmas at Norah Head, on the NSW Central Coast, pointing out the creatures of the bush to his grandson.

His daughter Wendy told those in Norwood Chapel, and hundreds more spilt on to the lawns outside, how her father had renewed his love of flying last year when he took a joyflight in a Tiger Moth.

Then in September he and wife Ann went to New Zealand, a gift from his three children to celebrate his 60th birthday.

"They . . . came back with days' worth of stories after a fantastic, adventurous holiday," Wendy said.

"At Christmas time the family came together for a week in Norah Head, where we celebrated dad's 60th birthday.

"Just last week he visited his first granddaughter Emma, otherwise affectionately known as Blossom, after her birth last Tuesday.

"He also left us knowing Wendy, myself, is expecting her first child in June this year.

"He died knowing that all of his family was happy, healthy and expanding.

"His last 12 months were probably some of the best memories of his life."

Wendy described her father as an Aussie bloke who loved nature.

"In the early years our back yard and house would often be filled with wildlife," she said.

"Possums could be found hanging from mum's good curtains . . . or a lizard under the couch."

Mr Fraser was well known around Canberra for his involvement with junior Australian Rules football.

His dedication to the Weston Creek Wildcats Junior Football Club, where he was treasurer, was remarkable.

Players from the club, wearing their green and gold jerseys, formed a guard of honour as Mr Fraser's coffin was carried into the chapel at the crematorium.

"Dougie, Dougie, Dougie, just your typical down-to-

earth Australian who couldn't get enough of footy, especially junior football," Wildcats former president Cheryl Cates told mourners.

"You were simply the type of bloke who liked to volunteer."

Mr Fraser died after being overcome by smoke while hosing down his roof when the firestorm hit.

He was one of four killed in the fires.

Minister Colin Rodda urged the people of Canberra to mourn their losses before rebuilding their community.

"Canberra as a community needs a new start," he said.

"These are the first steps we need to take as we again rebuild our whole understanding of what Canberra is as a community." AAP

Bron
25th January 2003, 08:33 AM
Of course the sorrow is there, but such lovely memories, he sounds a special man.