PDA

View Full Version : For those that watched the Wiz Cup GF

Sanecow
14th March 2005, 12:10 PM
That mark Fevola took when he kicked his opponent in the nuts - is that really allowed? The commentators said "he has to be allowed to defend himself"! It doesn't seem right that you can't lay a hand on an opponent's shoulder to take a mark but you can kick his balls off?

ScottH
14th March 2005, 02:13 PM
Kicking the Ball is the main part of the game!! What is wrong with that.

Where does it define "ball" in the rules?

j s
14th March 2005, 02:19 PM
That would be OK as long as he was careful to only kick ONE. I'm sure multiple balls are against the rules.

j s
14th March 2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
That mark Fevola took when he kicked his opponent in the nuts - is that really allowed? The commentators said "he has to be allowed to defend himself"! It doesn't seem right that you can't lay a hand on an opponent's shoulder to take a mark but you can kick his balls off?

Being (a bit more) serious, I think Cow is right. While there is probably no specific rule against it (the rule commonly called "Kicking in danger" maybe) I would think it would come under dangerous play.

Sanecow
14th March 2005, 02:48 PM
It really looked to me like the incoming defender was just wanting to punch the ball, but Fevola's intention with the boot had nothing to do with the incoming footy. It is up to the umpires to award a free kick if the spoiler interferes, not up to the player taking the mark to choose to kick the opposition IMHO. Free kick against Fevola is how I saw it, and I wanted the Blues to win.

NMWBloods
14th March 2005, 04:50 PM
I think it should be wrong, but it's a standard tactic and it is allowed - I have seen on a number of occasionns players deliberately put their boot into a guy running at them and then take the mark.

ScottH
14th March 2005, 05:04 PM
I don't think the intent was to kick him in the nuts. It was to fend off the incoming tackler, to make it more difficult for him to spoil/tackle.

Therefore it is a mark to Fevola.

Sanecow
14th March 2005, 05:18 PM
Is it also OK to punch or grab the genitals to fend off an opponent?

penga
14th March 2005, 09:47 PM
fevola had eyes for the ball (not balls :)), the intention wasnt too kick him IMO, it was more to get a leg up, which he did effectively. i thought it was well played. FWIW, i like glass and fevola.

NMWBloods
14th March 2005, 10:41 PM

No - that's using hands. You can pretty much do anything with your legs as long as it looks like you are trying to go for the ball with your hands.

BonBon
14th March 2005, 10:55 PM
Was that a serious question?

Sanecow
15th March 2005, 12:13 AM
fevola had eyes for the ball

It doesn't matter where he was looking - if you kick your opponent, then you kick him - could a striking charge be dropped if you are watching the ball when you hit someone?!? The whole kicking at your opponent thing is going to cause a serious injury to someone unless the AFL does something about it. You heard it here first.

Tooth Fairy
15th March 2005, 01:23 AM
It doesn't matter where he was looking - if you kick your opponent, then you kick him - could a striking charge be dropped if you are watching the ball when you hit someone?!? The whole kicking at your opponent thing is going to cause a serious injury to someone unless the AFL does something about it. You heard it here first. Oh FFS! He didn't "kick" anyone. But your concerns are duly noted and we can all now log off and get some sleep.

Sanecow
15th March 2005, 11:09 AM
Not a kick?!? Time to cut down the sleeping tablets.

Tooth Fairy
16th March 2005, 08:32 PM
Yep. Not a kick.

Sanecow
16th March 2005, 09:00 PM
A "controlled leg extension"?

Rod_
16th March 2005, 10:15 PM
This is part of the game / rules that I don't like.

A fend with the foot as part of elevation for a mark.... Even if the player has eyes only for the ball I feel it is wrong! I don't know how you would police any changes. But I feel that we don't need this in footy.

The young kids see this and we have a heaps of juniors thinking it is acceptable. (It did intimidate me as a 12 Y/O playing under 15's - big speckies over little kids - not on!) This is something that should be penalised. Free against at least. A defender running in to spoil and gets a gut full of stops - Nah not on!

had my 2 cents worth

Rod_

ROK Lobster
16th March 2005, 10:24 PM
...and the full forward could wear a bib with "GA" on it.

Sanecow
16th March 2005, 10:28 PM
You should practice your straw man arguments to be less obvious, ROK!

penga
16th March 2005, 11:19 PM
FWIW, he didn't kick him in the nads, it was the studs in the upper thigh that made him go down. if fevola had made contact he would've had to have been stretchered off...

Sanecow
16th March 2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but, you know and that.

ROK Lobster
16th March 2005, 11:26 PM
"Step!"

Sanecow
17th March 2005, 11:15 AM
You play in a mixed competition, don't you, sissy!

ROK Lobster
17th March 2005, 11:35 AM
You play in a mixed competition, don't you, sissy!
No men in my comp moo.

Tooth Fairy
17th March 2005, 09:30 PM
A "controlled leg extension"? Hehehehe exactly

Tooth Fairy
17th March 2005, 09:32 PM
Obstruction Wing Attack!

ROK Lobster
17th March 2005, 09:32 PM
Don't play your own TF.

nugget
18th March 2005, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately didn't see the incident coz I currently live in the UK.

No I was never able to take a speccie but I was always taught to bring my leg up in front of me to protect myself. When I was 17 I was playing full forward and was quite often told that one day I was going to be hammered because I was too exposed. I was taught use the leg in front as a means of protection.

ScottH
18th March 2005, 09:48 AM
He didn't bring his leg up in front of him, he stuck it out side ways as that is where the defender was coming from.

Tooth Fairy
18th March 2005, 02:57 PM
And the difference being?

ScottH
18th March 2005, 03:04 PM
nugget says he was taught to bring his leg up in front, just pointing out that Fev didn't.

satchmopugdog
20th March 2005, 11:18 AM
It wasn't obstruction wing attack it was "contact Goal Shooter" and you have to say it in a particularly piercing and bossy voice if you are going to go anywhere in Netball umpiring. So in that case it was a free kick against Fevola as he initiated the contact.
Anne Sargent should be the next big thing in Footy commentating