PDA

View Full Version : Stable pre-season suits Roos

ScottH
14th March 2005, 04:22 PM
Stable pre-season suits Roos (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=189957)

Warm and Fuzzy or the real deal???

midaro
14th March 2005, 05:16 PM
The former. Just more puff. :D

barry
14th March 2005, 05:42 PM
Fluff like this makes the pre-season even harder to bare.

Am I the only one concerned at a 0/4 wizard cup campain. Collingwood went 0/4 last year and fell from 2nd to 13th(?) that year.

midaro
14th March 2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by barry

Am I the only one concerned at a 0/4 wizard cup campain. Collingwood went 0/4 last year and fell from 2nd to 13th(?) that year.
No one takes the Wizard Cup/Preseason seriously.
Not even Dennis Pagan, despite what he says to journalists/his players. ;)

Don't Panic :D

dendol
14th March 2005, 07:02 PM

but Collingwood had just lost two grand finals in a row as well - that's enough to make any team lose the plot.

Glenn
14th March 2005, 07:05 PM

Carlton won the Fizz Wizz cup and they still start on 0 points in the premiership, it means bugger all come opening bounce of the premiership season just makes a nice paperweight

NMWBloods
14th March 2005, 07:49 PM
Yep, it's easy to be blase about the Wiz Fiz Cup when you have a cupboard full of premiership cups... oh hang on...

Nico
14th March 2005, 08:17 PM
Carlton won the Wiz Cup but I think they looked fairly impressive,
whereas the Coasters showed their slips in an away game once again.

Judd was outstanding whereas Fletcher and Cousins continually turned the ball over from poor selection and weak (physically) kicks. Lose Judd and it's good night nurse for the Coasters.

dendol
14th March 2005, 08:22 PM
from afl.com.au:

from afl.com.au:

Sydney - Worrying - The Swans, like Essendon and Hawthorn, did not win a game during the pre-season while the other 13 clubs all won at least two of their four outings. Yet the Swans looked promising during their Wizard Cup loss to the Bulldogs when the club played a virtual reserve side yet still almost won the game. Swans' coach Paul Roos remains unconcerned at his side's winless pre-season however saying their 2005 build-up had been "a lot smoother" than last year.

Im more optimistic.

Glenn
14th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Yep, it's easy to be blase about the Wiz Fiz Cup when you have a cupboard full of premiership cups... oh hang on...

Would you rather risk senior players in the Wiz Fiz or have them nursed through the pre season and fully fit come round 1

liz
14th March 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by dendol
from afl.com.au:

from afl.com.au:

Sydney - Worrying - The Swans, like Essendon and Hawthorn, did not win a game during the pre-season while the other 13 clubs all won at least two of their four outings. Yet the Swans looked promising during their Wizard Cup loss to the Bulldogs when the club played a virtual reserve side yet still almost won the game. Swans' coach Paul Roos remains unconcerned at his side's winless pre-season however saying their 2005 build-up had been "a lot smoother" than last year.

Im more optimistic.

We did actually win one - the NSO game. Obviously that doesn't count for afl.com.au as it was an exhibition game rather than a practice game. And it was only the Bombers...

The Dogs and Lions games are irrelevant as far as predictors due to the make up of the team.

We may have lost the other two but by a combined total of 3 points. Add to that the fact that even opposition supporters watching those games suggest that the Swans maybe edged their opponents around the ground but didn't convert as well as they should have. We didn't win but were certainly competitive - very different to the Bombers.

penga
14th March 2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Judd was outstanding whereas Fletcher and Cousins continually turned the ball over from poor selection and weak (physically) kicks. Lose Judd and it's good night nurse for the Coasters.

unfortunately, while judd was keeping the eagles in the game, it was him who lost it for them. ie, uncharacteristic fumble leads to super goal to prendergast. gives away free kick leading to fevola's 7th or 8th goal. it was there for him to win it off his own back but couldnt quite. BOG for WCE though. he is sizzling when he takes on his opponent! :)

the two midfields ran so far wide of each other, nick stevens wouldve picked up a few possessions at his brother's wedding. good to watch, free-flowing - but very unaccountable.

Diego
14th March 2005, 10:24 PM
More fluff to keep the RWO's happy.

Yeah no one takes the wiz cup seriously not even a proud club like carlton who in their history never finished last up until a few seasons back. Look what a preseason cup win can do..the place is full of vibe and optimism. Noooo they didnt want to win a useless cup.

But no, not the swans or the rwo's who are in denial. I mean whats another year to add to our already pathetic history.

Anyway lets see after 5 rounds where we are at.

Diego
14th March 2005, 10:26 PM

No Barry you are like half glass empty kind of person. I mean why would you take the pre season seriously at all.

I mean come on.

:rolleyes:

NMWBloods
14th March 2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by liz
We did actually win one - the NSO game. Obviously that doesn't count for afl.com.au as it was an exhibition game rather than a practice game. And it was only the Bombers...

And it wasn't really a proper game...

I don't think our pre-season is as worrying as some people think. I just hope the guys take a better attitude into the proper season.

I don't think the Wizzy Cup is a big deal as I particularly don't want to see our players injured, however I think it's a bit laughable for us of all teams to virtually write it off as a nothing win.

BonBon
14th March 2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't think the Wizzy Cup is a big deal as I particularly don't want to see our players injured, however I think it's a bit laughable for us of all teams to virtually write it off as a nothing win.
I so agree.

The Wiz Cup should be played AFTER the footy season, that way although the players are tired, they are all fit. They are quite fit now but if they're injured - that's a great muck up so if it's played after the season and they get injured, they have alot of time to recover.

sharp9
15th March 2005, 09:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but we were leading late in both the close losses. So one more bit of good defending (or one less dodgy free) per game and you would bet that AFL.com.would be rating our preseason as good as everyone else's bar Carlton and WC.

When you throw in that we have no injuries from the pre season then I think we can relax a bit about our form. We (like Essendon) are a team in which the experienced heads will really step up a notch come RD 1. Leo, Bazza, Captain were really coasting.

In short feeling that there is no reason why we can't play to our absolute best sooner rather than later.

Rizzo
15th March 2005, 11:01 AM
I'll be concerned if they Umps carry over their holding the ball interpretation.......

liz
15th March 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Rizzo
I'll be concerned if they Umps carry over their holding the ball interpretation.......

Be concerned then, because the AFL is saying the interpretation is here to stay.

ScottH
15th March 2005, 12:23 PM
I seem to remember being smacked by Carlton in the Pre season last year. And where did both teams finish on the ladder??? Says a lot about pre season form!!

swansrule100
15th March 2005, 12:55 PM
I hope the players dont worry about the pre season from as much as most of the supporters do.

barry
15th March 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Diego
No Barry you are like half glass empty kind of person. I mean why would you take the pre season seriously at all.

I mean come on.

:D

Hardly, I've been bullish on the swans since roos came on board.

But I do find it concerning. Even the culture of not trying to win every game played worries me.
I'd love to win the wizard cup. I'd love even more to go into every game trying to win.

Rod_
15th March 2005, 08:21 PM
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=190160

Win at all costs these pre season games - oh yeah!

Rod_

Sanecow
15th March 2005, 08:23 PM
Now I have to rejig my fantasy footy team.

penga
15th March 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Rod_
Win at all costs these pre season games - oh yeah!

add to that: rodan, hadley, thornton, johnson, murphy etc etc

bally, circa 2002? not worth thinking about!