PDA

View Full Version : Eddies mouth to big for most

motorace_182
19th April 2003, 03:51 PM
Jackson concern at McGuire comments
12:55:18 PM Sat 19 April, 2003
Angus Morgan
afl.com.au

AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson has branded comments by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire over the Magpies banner fiasco as 'ridiculous' and said that McGuire's twin roles as commentator and president made the issue 'difficult'.

Jackson said that McGuire?s comments on Channel Nine on Thursday night regarding the league?s objection to wording on the Collingwood banner prepared for the game against Brisbane at the Gabba were inappropriate.

?I think some of the language that went through on Channel Nine was ill-chosen.? Jackson told 3AW?s Saturday pre-match program.

?This is one of the really difficult ones. If he?s (speaking as) a Channel Nine commentator, one has a view about that. But if he?s the president of a footy club, then some of the things he said were quite ridiculous and inaccurate in fact.?

Jackson defended the league?s threat to fine Collingwood up to $20,000 over the banner?s reference to Brisbane?s former incarnation - the Bears - and salary cap concessions, an issue on which McGuire has been outspoken.

The AFL chief affirmed that the banner was in breach of AFL guidelines and shrugged off complaints that the league?s actions amounted to censorship.

?The reality is the Brisbane Lions football club objected to the banner, primarily on the fact that it was taking the Lions back to the Bears. That works against the best interests of the club,? Jackson said.

?The banners ought to be used in good fun and not for having a shot and making political judgements on national telly.?

Meanwhile, Jackson, who announced his resignation on Tuesday, said he did not believe that league football operations manager Andrew Demetriou would necessarily quit the AFL if he missed out on the top job.

?I know Andrew very, very well and I think if he didn?t get the job, it would depend on who did,? Jackson said.

?Andrew would never leave the AFL in the lurch. The AFL commission will talk to Andrew and other executives within the AFL as the next few weeks unfold.?

?There are several people in the AFL and Andrew is certainly somebody that would be well able to do the job and I think he would do it very, very well,? he said.

?Andrew knows that commission will search strongly for my successor. That will take some months and whether the commission and Ron Evans end up with my successor being external or internal that will be for the commission to decide. It won?t be my call.?

The bloke has to shut his mouth while on air. He can not allow his role as a commentator, president and public ass to coincide. The moron has to shut his mouth a get on with the footy

Norris Lurker
19th April 2003, 03:54 PM
Is the Eddie McGuire who complained about "Soviet censorship" on the banner the same Eddie McGuire who pulled the poll about his commentary from the AFL site last year?
Pot. Kettle. Black.

motorace_182
19th April 2003, 04:14 PM
But that banner didnt even mention Waeklins achievement until a forced change. Thats disgusting. First they bag the AFL, Swans and Lions on one side, then give a massive wrap to his employer on the other side. All without mentionng a milestone which correct me if i am wrong is the original purpose of the banner

SWANSBEST
19th April 2003, 07:49 PM
As far as I am concerned Eddie does nothing for the good of the AFL and consistently creates controversy . He is trying to take credit for the full house and the 340, 00 0 viewers who watched the game live into Brisbane. He would not know that the Lions have been getting about 10, 000 spectators per game on average more than the Broncos over the past few seasons. His boorish behaviour rubs most people up the wrong way and if you dug deeply enough , probably a lot of Collingwood supporters too.

Mel_C
20th April 2003, 06:19 PM
I had never sat down to watch a collingwood game before with Eddie commentating until the brisbane game so I didn't know what the fuss was all about with Eddie commentating about his own team. (I don't think he should be commentating any games anyway because he is so bad at it).

I really do not know how he could be allowed to commentate these games. He showed so much bias and was blatantly barracking for collingwood. He kept questioning every free kick, kept asking the other commentators whether it should have been a free to the pies, and you could hear him moaning and grunting in the back ground. It was a disgrace. I know that if I was in the same situation that I would probably do the same thing because I am also passionate about my team. But he should have the guts and be man enough to admit that he can't do this. If not then Channel 9 should have a say in this. (Although I guess Channel 9 is really Channel Eddie so this will never happen).

CureTheSane
20th April 2003, 07:30 PM
Change is good.
I get the feeling that Andrew will stand up to Eddie more than Jackson did.

As far as Eddie goes, well what else need sto be said taht hasn't before.

He can justify ANYTHING in his own mind and closes it to the option that he may be wrong.

When he is so despised that the networks won't want to touch him, he will have his millions and blame everyone else for not agreeing with him.