PDA

View Full Version : Saddington

LittleSchneider
19th March 2005, 03:35 PM
Read in the Telegraph this morning that Roos is not expecting to use or pick Saddington in his best 22 until around Round 5 /6. Stating he doesnt want to rush him back into AFL to quickly.
Read that Crouch, Davis, Nicks, Saddington, Ablett and a few more are playing in the reserves this weekend too.

ugg
19th March 2005, 07:59 PM
It also stated that Saddo was seeking a full-time position as a forward. The article speculated on a forward setup of (IIRC) Hall, O'Loughlin, Davis, O'Keefe, Schneider, Buchanan, possibly Nicks and a resting ruckman along with Saddo. Its going to get pretty crowded down there!

ugg
19th March 2005, 08:03 PM
Found a link: http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=2830793

SWANSBEST
19th March 2005, 08:19 PM
I was at the games at Queanbeyan today, Saddo looked a million dollars and moved very well without any inconvenience. The same could be said of Crouch and Goodes. Saddo played wihout strapping as did Goddess apart from his normal thigh bands. I know the competion was not great but I FEEL THIS YEAR THAT WE HAVE THE BEST GROUP OF YOUNGSTERS FOR MANY YEARS. As a Swans supporter of many years I FEEL EXCITED.

Snowy
19th March 2005, 08:22 PM
Goddess? (lol) Any injuries? Do you think most of the senior blokes will get a game against the Hawks?

SWANSBEST
19th March 2005, 08:25 PM
PS
I forget to mention that Davis played particularly well . I lost count of the goals that he kicked.

Snowy
19th March 2005, 08:28 PM
Well it would seem that Crouch, Goodes and Davis are probably certainties with Saddington a wildcard who might be held in reserve for a few weeks. Thanks for the info.

EMJ
20th March 2005, 12:34 AM
Sydney swans site has a reference to the game and how well all the guys played. Davis kicked six goals and all the guys ran freely and played better than coaches expected.

swansrule100
20th March 2005, 03:04 PM
i think saddington should play against the hawks, im not taking the hawks lightly but its the easiest game in the first block.

Rizzo
20th March 2005, 07:16 PM
The first time I saw Saddo play was along side Plugger in the wiz cup. At the time I thought he'd make a great 2nd string forward.

RogueSwan
22nd March 2005, 01:57 PM
Each year I make up a spreadsheet for my wife with all the players details because every game we watch on the box the question always arises:
How tall is he? How old is he? .....

Anyway the point to my post is that I found this description on Realfooty's player profiles for Saddington (Player profiles (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/players/profiles/index.html) ):

Key defender has been struck down by injury over recent seasons and hasn't been able to make it to the park fit regularly. Is the team's best rebounding player out of defence and delivers the ball well.

Good thing we have Leapin' as a backup for Saddo.;)

swansrule100
22nd March 2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Each year I make up a spreadsheet for my wife with all the players details because every game we watch on the box the question always arises:

Anyway the point to my post is that I found this description on Realfooty's player profiles for Saddington (Player profiles (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/players/profiles/index.html) ):

Good thing we have Leapin' as a backup for Saddo.;)

sadddington must of written that

Mark
22nd March 2005, 04:43 PM

That is hilarious ! could you send me a copy for game days, i have same problem at the ground !

Barry Schneider
22nd March 2005, 06:03 PM

And you have to do it every year as shrinkage does occur.Ryan O'Keefe shrunk a few centimetres over the preseason.
Height not length.(settle down Bon)

Nico
22nd March 2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ugg
It also stated that Saddo was seeking a full-time position as a forward. The article speculated on a forward setup of (IIRC) Hall, O'Loughlin, Davis, O'Keefe, Schneider, Buchanan, possibly Nicks and a resting ruckman along with Saddo. Its going to get pretty crowded down there!

What about a full time position in the Admin office.

Nico
22nd March 2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
i think saddington should play against the hawks, im not taking the hawks lightly but its the easiest game in the first block.

That's the very reason you don't play him.

ROK Lobster
22nd March 2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Nico
What about a full time position in the Admin office.
Hehehe.

Wazza
22nd March 2005, 09:54 PM
Hmm about the only spot I can see for Saddington is back pocket if opposition play 3rd tall.

Can anyone really see him as a key forward? would you leave a fit Okeefe or Davis / Buccanan or Schneider out for Saddington gee I hope not.

Cheers

waz

Wazza
22nd March 2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
I was at the games at Queanbeyan today, Saddo looked a million dollars

hahaha too bad against most AFL teams he wouldnt get change for 50c.

Sorry couldnt help myself, just yoking.

Cheers

Waz

Bleed Red Blood
22nd March 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Wazza
Hmm about the only spot I can see for Saddington is back pocket if opposition play 3rd tall.

Can anyone really see him as a key forward? would you leave a fit Okeefe or Davis / Buccanan or Schneider out for Saddington gee I hope not.

Cheers

waz

I can see him up forward. My forward set up would be;

O'Keefe Hall Davis
O'Loughlin Doyle Saddington

The MOL,ROK, Hall and Davis are fine below there knees. Saddington, Doyle and O'Loughlin can all take a grab. Davis would be rotating with Schneider and Buchanen. Nicks to replace anyone if injured. Jolly back up to Doyle.

Looks fine to me.

Wazza
22nd March 2005, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
I can see him up forward. My forward set up would be;

O'Keefe Hall Davis
O'Loughlin Doyle Saddington

The MOL,ROK, Hall and Davis are fine below there knees. Saddington, Doyle and O'Loughlin can all take a grab. Davis would be rotating with Schneider and Buchanen. Nicks to replace anyone if injured. Jolly back up to Doyle.

Looks fine to me. [/QUOTE

I know we are all experts but- I dont see the value of Saddington in that mix, a smaller faster player would give balance i.e. crumbing, speed, stoping the defence running out of our forward line.

I could see Saddington up there if we didnt play the rucks at FF maybe - if only he could take a contested mark. I would like to see C Bolton up forward before Saddington...but I know that wont happen.

The good thing about these types of discussions we can see the depth we have this year!

Cheers

Waz

swansrule100
22nd March 2005, 10:58 PM
That's the very reason you don't play him.

id rather bring an injured player back against a rubbish team and give him game time before playing the harder teams

Schneiderman
22nd March 2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Wazza
I would like to see C Bolton up forward before Saddington...but I know that wont happen.

Hear hear. Someone who can tackle up forward and keep the ball in our forward 50. Micky had flashes of brilliance but its dangerous to his health, and Bazza usually plays our further. Schneider needs a partner up there.

liz
22nd March 2005, 11:20 PM
Saddo has a role to play up forward but probably as a replacement for O'Keefe or Davis. An ideal scenario would be for Davis to achieve a level of fitness that allows him to spend extended periods in the midfield, with someone like Saddo drifting into the forward line as required.

Whether he can play key position defence is still up in the air - if he can I think that's where he provides the greatest value to the team, but he is certainly capable of playing on a HBF too, maybe covering for Leo if he's pulled back to FB or for Kennelly if he moves up to a wing.

penga
23rd March 2005, 09:10 AM
my forward setup would be:

okeefe hall davis
oloughlin saddington schneider

with buccy in the middle, to be rotated forward.

Barry Schneider
23rd March 2005, 09:24 AM
I admit I am not Saddo's biggest fan but there could be a role on the half forward flank in a Reiwoldt type role.I want Barry Hall to take almost all his marks within kicking distance but many times specially on bigger grounds he has to run up the field to provide a target.Saddo could be a hard running target man leading up the field to provide an option while Barry could play closer to goal more often.O'Keefe plays this role now but I also like seeing him get the ball closer to goal.Just a thought.
I think our forward line has great goal kicking potential but we need a way to link them together more effectively.

NMWBloods
23rd March 2005, 09:29 AM
I think his ability to play key position anywhere on a permanent basis is questionable, but he has a role as a utility, flanker, fill-in, linkman, oddjob man, etc.

Tooth Fairy
23rd March 2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I think his ability to play key position anywhere on a permanent basis is questionable, but he has a role as a utility, flanker, fill-in, linkman, oddjob man, etc. ...and those sort of players are quite often the most dangerous.

Plugger46
23rd March 2005, 01:26 PM
id rather bring an injured player back against a rubbish team and give him game time before playing the harder teams

Can you tell me why?

Plugger46
23rd March 2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think Saddo is in our best 22. He has had wraps on him for ages and has failed to deliver. He's been in the system a long time now folks. He is not a key backman, that is as clear as day. Tarrant has towelled him up, as has Brown and a finished Wayne Carey. There have been others. The only place I can see for him is filling in up forward, if we have a couple of injuries.

Nico
23rd March 2005, 04:59 PM
Nice summary P46. My sentiments entirely.

TheHood
23rd March 2005, 05:12 PM
Saddo's heart ain't down back any more. That means he will only even get towelled up against the better players. It's human nature to hate what you aren't good at.

Saddo's up forward or he's gooooone!

swansrule100
23rd March 2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
Can you tell me why?

well because, in theory if you are playing a crummy team you should win easily. That allows you to bring a player back in little bursts and play him when and where you like bcause you control the game. Its better than playing the person against birsbane at the gabba where to win you need 22 players giving it their all.

Thats if you want saddo back in of course.

Nico
23rd March 2005, 08:46 PM
well because, in theory if you are playing a crummy team you should win easily. That allows you to bring a player back in little bursts and play him when and where you like bcause you control the game. Its better than playing the person against birsbane at the gabba where to win you need 22 players giving it their all.

Thats if you want saddo back in of course.

Yep, and as soon as you do this and underestimate a side, they do you like a dinner. You play your best side regardless.

swansrule100
23rd March 2005, 11:10 PM
Yep, and as soon as you do this and underestimate a side, they do you like a dinner. You play your best side regardless.

but what if that player is in your best 22 , or your best player?

if barry hall is injured against the hawks (touch wood it wont happen) then he is ready in 8 weeks time, you wouldnt bring him back in?? so no players come back from injury in your book?

The first game back they will be a bit wonky even if they played reserves, nothing is like playing a game, so why isnt it preferable your bringing a player back against the worst team than the best???

Plugger46
24th March 2005, 12:27 AM
but what if that player is in your best 22 , or your best player?

if barry hall is injured against the hawks (touch wood it wont happen) then he is ready in 8 weeks time, you wouldnt bring him back in?? so no players come back from injury in your book?

The first game back they will be a bit wonky even if they played reserves, nothing is like playing a game, so why isnt it preferable your bringing a player back against the worst team than the best???

He's not in our best 22, (at best on the fringe) so why would you rush him back. Hall is our best player, so it's a ridiculous comparison. I understand what you're saying, but surely a player of Saddo's capabilities should start in the 2's especially when he's had limited match practice. He'll get more game time there anyway.

If people remember, pre-season last year a lot of people were tipping Hawthorn for the flag. I thought they were being extremely overrated, but they do have some talented players.

We have a shocking record against the Hawks in recent times. They nearly beat us last year. They might have been ordinary last year but things change, they have a new coach and a new outlook on things, they will be raring to go. So we definitely wouldn't want to go in with too many underdone footballers, especially those of Saddington's ability. Anyone can beat anyone on a given day in this caper. I'm certainly not taking the hawks too lightly and I don't think Paul Roos and the match committee will be either.

swansrule100
24th March 2005, 12:36 PM
i was talking just generally in the end, not about saddo in particular.

Im saying if a player is in the best 22 (wether saddo is or not is up for debate) you gotta get them back and ideally its in a game u are more likely to win...

i agree saddo isnt in our best 22....but if they want him back in rather its off the bench against the hawks than at the gabba in round 3....and im not taking the hawks lightly at all, all games are hard

ScottH
24th March 2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
If people remember, pre-season last year a lot of people were tipping Hawthorn for the flag. I thought they were being extremely overrated, but they do have some talented players. I thought it was only Scwab who made that daring prediction.

penga
24th March 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
I thought it was only Scwab who made that daring prediction.

it was a media beat-up. he said, "we can win the flag and any team who thinks otherwise should not be in the competition" i agree with that, we CAN win the flag this year just as much as the hawks CAN as well...

Plugger46
24th March 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
I thought it was only Scwab who made that daring prediction.

A lot of the so-called "experts" down here had them top four.