PDA

View Full Version : Tarrant.

dread and might
8th April 2005, 12:37 PM
fairly harsh article by Robert Walls.
read (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/04/04/1112489417225.html)

Not that i am a huge fan of Tarrant but the bloke is 25 and plays for one of the worst teams in the competition. Give him a break

pillowtalk
8th April 2005, 12:56 PM
Very harsh. I'm sure Tarrant thinks highly of Walls :eek:

Charlie
8th April 2005, 01:02 PM
I've seen Tarrant as a product of the Magpies PR machine since his 'All-Australian' year in 2003. How he made that team, kicking 54 goals from 25 games in a Grand Final side, I have no idea.
He did very little to make me change that opinion last year. He is a marketing vehicle, a reasonable forward, and nothing else.

Not in the top 50 players, and not in the top ten key forwards (which are Tredrea, Hall, Lloyd, Gehrig, Fevola, Neitz, Reiwoldt, Bradshaw, Brown and Sav Rocca).

Ruda Wakening
8th April 2005, 01:02 PM
"I don't know Tarrant, but I do know he had to be talked into returning to the club a few years ago when he went bush."

He's played in 2 grand finals since then and has been the clubs leading goal kicker for the last 4 years.

NMWBloods
8th April 2005, 01:06 PM
"he has looked the part. Tanned, toned and athletic"

Has anyone noticed that Walls always comments on the physical attributes of the players and it doesn't always seem to be from a purely sporting perspective...

WRT to this article, I noted Tarrant's lower contribution to the Magpies relative to other key forwards last year and the year before. Still, you need to also consider the rest of the side and its game plan.

Ruda Wakening
8th April 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
"he has looked the part. Tanned, toned and athletic"

Has anyone noticed that Walls always comments on the physical attributes of the players and it doesn't always seem to be from a purely sporting perspective...

I've noticed it too. I've also noticed the way he wriggles around his seat with excitement after he's said it.

ROK Lobster
8th April 2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
He is a marketing vehicle, a reasonable forward, and nothing else.
Substitute the word midfielder for forward and you have described our Jude.

Sanecow
8th April 2005, 01:17 PM
That's what used to @@@@@ me about Don Scott: "Look at those fit young boys with their bulging muscles and shirts rippling in the wind oooh ooohhhh ohhhh".

Ruda Wakening
8th April 2005, 01:23 PM

He did very little to make me change that opinion last year.

You did very little to change my opinion of Heath James.

Sanecow
8th April 2005, 01:40 PM
He is a marketing vehicle

http://tinyurl.com/6ywqe

ROK Lobster
8th April 2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Alternatively... (http://www.centrebounce.com.au/merchandise/images/PLA66-CO.jpg)

Barry Schneider
8th April 2005, 02:07 PM
Extremely overrated.In a team without many stars and with their one genuine star near the end of his career Collingwood have built Tarrant up PR wise to a level that doesn't coincide with his effectiveness.
I agree with Walls' criticism of his playing style.He is desperately needed to kick goals yet he marks outside kicking distance way too often.

Sanecow
8th April 2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Barry Schneider
He is desperately needed to kick goals yet he marks outside kicking distance way too often.

That's because HF is his ideal position, not FF. Oh, wrong player and team, sorry.

NMWBloods
8th April 2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
I've noticed it too. I've also noticed the way he wriggles around his seat with excitement after he's said it.

LOL and ick at the same time!! :( :)

Whitefox
8th April 2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Barry Schneider
I agree with Walls' criticism of his playing style. He is desperately needed to kick goals yet he marks outside kicking distance way too often.

This might help you. (http://www.opsm.com.au/)

Charlie
8th April 2005, 04:59 PM
At the risk of wading into what is becoming yet another circus thread...

Substitute the word midfielder for forward and you have described our Jude.

Sure. I would think that Jude would be roughly at the same level as Tarrant. Both would be roughly around the top 100 players mark in the AFL. That corresponds to about the top 11-15 key forwards or top 30-40 midfielders.

You did very little to change my opinion of Heath James.

You see, I'm not supposed to change your opinion of Heath James. Heath is supposed to do that himself, but whilst the club isn't playing him, he can't do that, can he?

Pay that. All you need is a number plate saying 'Tazza', and it's perfect.

ROK Lobster
8th April 2005, 05:08 PM
At the risk of wading into what is becoming yet another circus thread...
The circus is fun Charlie. They have a ringmaster, clowns, doped up lions and sometimes a bearded lady. Sounds like here.

cruiser
8th April 2005, 05:36 PM

Edit: No need for the comment made. Thanks.

Ruda Wakening
8th April 2005, 05:42 PM
You see, I'm not supposed to change your opinion of Heath James. Heath is supposed to do that himself, but whilst the club isn't playing him, he can't do that, can he?

He couldn't do it if they were.

swansrule100
8th April 2005, 09:16 PM
tarrant makes anthony rocca look good, he symbolises the whole collingwood team at the moment!

Charlie
8th April 2005, 11:55 PM
He couldn't do it if they were.

Memorandum to Paul Roos: check with Ruda before selecting any unproven player, to see if they can make it. Apparently, she knows.

Sanecow
9th April 2005, 12:09 AM
Ruda has connections and a good track record.

Ruda Wakening
9th April 2005, 12:24 AM
Memorandum to Paul Roos: check with Ruda before selecting any unproven player, to see if they can make it. Apparently, she knows.

Why the sarcasm Charlie? You have an opinion on Tarrant and i have one on Heath James. Hardly surprising considering it's a football message board.

I do know something for sure though, Tarrant - despite your criticism isn't playing reserves for Williamstown on the weekend, and it would cost him more than $100 to buy his whole career from 'Name That Game'.

Charlie
9th April 2005, 01:39 AM
Why the sarcasm Charlie? You have an opinion on Tarrant and i have one on Heath James. Hardly surprising considering it's a football message board.

I do know something for sure though, Tarrant - despite your criticism isn't playing reserves for Williamstown on the weekend, and it would cost him more than $100 to buy his whole career from 'Name That Game'.

Sorry Ruda, I simply can't help but find it ironic that you, of all people, presume to be able to pass judgement on the ability of players. Other people have an opinion about Nick Davis as lazy, undisciplined etc. I've never known you to take the position that it's a football m/board and hardly surprising as a result.

Ruda Wakening
9th April 2005, 03:19 AM
Sorry Ruda, I simply can't help but find it ironic that you, of all people, presume to be able to pass judgement on the ability of players. Other people have an opinion about Nick Davis as lazy, undisciplined etc. I've never known you to take the position that it's a football m/board and hardly surprising as a result.

You're right Charlie, i was naughty enough to be caught passing judgement on the abilty of a player.

However, that's really not the same as passing judgement on a players personal life, ability to exchange pleasantries, lack of social skills, what he was like at school, whether he loves a punt, or the company he chooses to keep.

Just let me get this straight though. You're basically saying that because I have defended Nick in the past ... i say in the past because if you'd care to have a little look, i haven't done that for quite some time - i'm not entitled to comment on anything else football related, right?

Obviously you're very protective of Heath James and i hit a nerve.

You made a comment that Taz has done nothing to change your opinion of him, and mainly because when i arrived here i'd hardly even heard of Heath James except when you used to display a rather lengthy signature about him and regularly mention his efforts - i said that you hadn't said anything to change my opinion on the little i did know of him. Most of what i knew of him then was mainly via you.

That wasn't a personal attack on you or a memo to Paul Roos, it more a case of stating the obvious - there's absolutely no difference between you not being able to sway me, and me not being able to sway you. I can't see the problem here, other than i bagged the wrong player in your eyes, as you have mine.

Here we go round the mulberry bush ...

One more thing, though not in an official capacity, i was spoken to by someone about my arguing with Julian which was usually over Nick, and you may have noticed that i kept my word and sorted it out. There hasn't been a problem for a fair while now, and the way i see it, defending Nick never really did pose a problem for you before i said something about your golden boy.

Perhaps i should have given a player you don't hold so close to your heart a serve and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Charlie
9th April 2005, 09:38 AM
Ruda - it's all good. I guess I bit back a little hard because I couldn't honestly see what Heath James had to do with Chris Tarrant.

Heath James isn't particularly 'close to my heart' - I probably would have had the same reaction if you'd said it about Jarrad Sundqvist or Ben Fixter. We all have our expectations about certain players - I just think it goes a bit too far to make definitive statements about which player will make it and which won't. None of us can possibly know that until it happens, one way or the other.

On Tarrant - I think I've said that he's somewhere around the top 100 players mark. To put that into perspective, that places him somewhere around the top 20% of footballers in the league. So it's not as if I'm calling him a hack.

As for Davis - you won't find me having passed judgment on anything he does that doesn't affect his football. It doesn't interest me.

Anyway - let's allow this thread to get back on topic.

dread and might
9th April 2005, 10:15 AM
there i was trying to share a little article........

swansrule100
9th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Would anyone want tarrant at sydney, even if we got him cheap??

NMWBloods
9th April 2005, 05:53 PM
LOL - Tarrant has obviously been reading RWO and was stung into action...

ROK Lobster
9th April 2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
Would anyone want tarrant at sydney, even if we got him cheap?? I'd take him even if his was 'spense. Great game of footy today too. Swans need to play a bit more like that - have a crack.

swansrule100
9th April 2005, 06:00 PM
he would be handy with hall at chf, didnt see the game but am angry about the result even more angry about the kangas game

tipping wise i mean, cos i dont like stkilda

Charlie
9th April 2005, 06:30 PM
My tipping is going great this year... :rolleyes: 1 from 3 this week so far. I tipped Brisbane, too - let's hope it gets even worse.

As for Tarrant - didn't see the game so can't comment too much. Again, it's not as if I'm saying he's a hack... he's just not a superstar, or particularly close to being one. You would expect any half-decent full-forward to be able to bag five goals every now and then.

ugg
10th April 2005, 12:51 AM
My tipping is going great this year... :rolleyes: 1 from 3 this week so far. I tipped Brisbane, too - let's hope it gets even worse.

Lesson is never tip against the Swannies!! 4/5 so far this week, couldn't bring myself to tip Collingwood.

swansrule100
10th April 2005, 01:50 AM

As for Tarrant - didn't see the game so can't comment too much. Again, it's not as if I'm saying he's a hack... he's just not a superstar, or particularly close to being one. You would expect any half-decent full-forward to be able to bag five goals every now and then. \

it isnt his fault, but is very over rated as a player!! people have come to expect what he isnt capable off