PDA

View Full Version : Davis the midfielder

Ajn
11th April 2005, 12:22 PM
Did some excellent work, especially pushing back into defence. Unheralded and chastised by many here, but I'm gonna continue singin' his praises. He is star quality.

P.S. I hear he may be on a subway diet (joking!)

TheHood
11th April 2005, 12:40 PM
Good call on Nick.

I really like it when Nick Davis wants the ball because when he does, he can generally arrest possession at will.

He started a couple of moves that ended in goals that were just vital. I still want Nick kicking goals though.

I think we need to kick 16 to 18 goals a week and we don't do that often. I mean when we cracked the century v the hawks I had a mini celebration.

What a good score board would look like:

Baz: 5
Mick: 3
ROK: 2
Nick: 2
Schneids: 1
Midfield: 4

Diego
11th April 2005, 01:48 PM
Also noticed he shrugged off would be tacklers (the dont argue) like a five eight does in league. That could come very handy.

Bas
11th April 2005, 02:34 PM
His palming off of Daryl White was very impressive. Good to see him start taking control of a game.

Mike_B
11th April 2005, 03:45 PM
IMHO, Davis has the best skills in the team, so if he can spend more time in the midfield, it will only help us. And then of course the fact he can play forward means he can be rested across HF/in a FP rather than spending time on the bench and hopefully kick a goal or two while he is on a midfield rotation rest period.

Margie
11th April 2005, 04:57 PM
Davis was a revelation on Saturday night - poised, skilful and one of the best on ground. He seems to be creating more opportunities in the midfield and his work rate has lifted tremendously. He's got so much natural talent and finally appears injury-free. Full marks to him for the turnaround.

Go Swannies
11th April 2005, 05:01 PM
I pointed Davis out to my Lions friend as a player who we considered trading because he was overweight and hardly trying last season. She looked at the newly trim and buffed and toned Nick who was working his guts out all night and found it hard to believe.

undy
11th April 2005, 06:11 PM
I hope you made it clear that "we" was the official RWO match committee, not the powerless doozies who actually pick the team. ;)

sharp9
11th April 2005, 06:29 PM
Davis was fantastic...I was excited. He looked a cut above when weaving in traffic, not to mention the rugby fend. Whew!

Didn't seem to have trouble getting to a contest...glided in and made it look easy. Judd like (except Judd gets 31 possession thesedays!).

NMWBloods
11th April 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by undy
I hope you made it clear that "we" was the official RWO match committee, not the powerless doozies who actually pick the team. ;)

Or even more so that 'we' was just some people here...

Snowy
11th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Well Roos did say that as soon as his fitness improved (pre-season injury), he would be moved up the ground. Still isn't as prolific or dynamic as he was in the midfield in about 2001 but getting there. There is a photo of Hall being congratulated by him in today's Age and he looks very toned and in great shape.

swansrule100
11th April 2005, 08:51 PM
really davis should be trying to be the number 1 player in this team. He has the skills to be a premier player in this league, playing a role similar to brad green

Snowy
11th April 2005, 10:08 PM
Actually players like Green and Cam Bruce are some of the most valuable going around.

dendol
11th April 2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
Still isn't as prolific or dynamic as he was in the midfield in about 2001 but getting there.

Did Davis play midfield in his Collingwood days? I always thought he was a forward and was encouraged to attain enough fitness to play midfield once he got to Sydney.

Snowy
11th April 2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Did Davis play midfield in his Collingwood days? I always thought he was a forward and was encouraged to attain enough fitness to play midfield once he got to Sydney.

Yes saw a bit of him in his early days with the Pies, Laidley got stuck into him about fitness issues halfway through 2000 and he spent the second half of that season plus all of 2001 (despite carrying a knee injury), rotating between the midfield and forward line. He kicked 36 goals that year but also regularly racked up impressive stats ; made Sheahan's top 50 at the end of the season and was one of the bright stars on the horizon before coming down with a bad bout of OP.

dimelb
12th April 2005, 12:13 AM
And as well as all the stuff mentioned already, I like his attitude. He's obviously worked hard over the preseason, and his enthusiasm at key moments (e.g. when Baz kicked the winning goal) ought to give the lie to people saying he's slack and too casual. He's doing fine.

Schneiderman
12th April 2005, 12:42 AM
Often maligned for fading in and out of a game (although his "ins" are often with a freaky play).

I would think that the level of accountability recquired in the midfield may force him to impact the game more. Certainly seemed that way on Sat and I for one hope it continues.

Maybe he needs to feel the football in his hands to stay interested and keep contributing. Rather like one A. Goodes IMO.

ugg
12th April 2005, 01:18 AM
He seems to favour fending off his opponent before trying to run away with the ball. I've never seen this as much by other AFL players.

stellation
12th April 2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Often maligned for fading in and out of a game (although his "ins" are often with a freaky play).

I would think that the level of accountability recquired in the midfield may force him to impact the game more. Certainly seemed that way on Sat and I for one hope it continues.

Maybe he needs to feel the football in his hands to stay interested and keep contributing. Rather like one A. Goodes IMO.

A common comment on Nick is that he goes missing (although if he is sitting in the forward line it is kind of fair enough to go missing sometimes if the ball doesn't get there and you are the third option!). A very good sign on Saturday was that Nick picked up multiple disposals in every quarter- 5,7,3,4.

Chubby Muffler
12th April 2005, 10:04 AM
Davis is one of our longest and most accurate kickers, if not our best. If he has so much potential for the midfield, why not keep him there and have him go for some long range goals on the run. It's true he has been dissapointing in the 2(?) years we have had him, but he did look very dangerous on the weekend.

pillowtalk
12th April 2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Ajn

P.S. I hear he may be on a subway diet (joking!)
He is.

pillowtalk
12th April 2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
And as well as all the stuff mentioned already, I like his attitude. He's obviously worked hard over the preseason, and his enthusiasm at key moments (e.g. when Baz kicked the winning goal) ought to give the lie to people saying he's slack and too casual. He's doing fine.
Actually he didn't work that hard over preason because of injury. But since he's been back he has. There's definately a change in attitude - he certainly has some helpful mentors. It's great to see him excelling :)

barry
12th April 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by ugg
He seems to favour fending off his opponent before trying to run away with the ball. I've never seen this as much by other AFL players.

Its like a Rugby league thing. Stuey Maxfield's been doing it as well.

Seems to work, but leaves you open to holding the ball if your opponent just grabs your arm.

Thunder Shaker
12th April 2005, 12:36 PM
(mad scientist voice, rubs hands) Ha ha ha! Secret weapon!

swansrule100
12th April 2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
Actually players like Green and Cam Bruce are some of the most valuable going around.

bloody hell they are and good to watch. I have enjoyed watching the demons this year