PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Suspended for 2 weeks

ScottH
13th April 2005, 09:33 PM
John Barnes heas gone on a 2 week holiday. About time.

I still remember him mouthing off in the background while Hall was lining up for goal!!

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200504/s1344651.htm

NMWBloods
13th April 2005, 10:08 PM
Hooray!!

swansrule100
13th April 2005, 10:17 PM
i like barnsey, havent observed him heaps, but geez runners have a pretty hard job and i think its quite harsh to suspend him!

NMWBloods
13th April 2005, 10:44 PM
His job is meant to be as a runner - has been acting as an on-field coach as well as filling space and hassling players shooting for goals. Deserved to be suspended.

How hard is their job anyway?

Mike_B
13th April 2005, 11:15 PM
Essendon have abused the role of a runner to make Barnes a 19th man on the field. Should have happened alot sooner IMO.

dread and might
14th April 2005, 09:45 AM
tool. God he's a tool. I remember watching him on fox footy at a mates place and the panellists were going through the games. I can't remember who the swans were facing but we were in great form and he tipped against us, much to the surprise of the other panellists. When he was asked why, he replied;"i dunno, i just don't rate them" Awesome.

NMWBloods
14th April 2005, 10:13 AM
He makes League teams unwatchable!

j s
14th April 2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by swansrule100
i like barnsey, havent observed him heaps, but geez runners have a pretty hard job and i think its quite harsh to suspend him!
No it's not! He deserves it!

Maybe the AFL should insist the runners wear the GPS tracker devices so that their movements can be monitored (and replayed for later analysis if necessary)

swansrule100
14th April 2005, 05:52 PM
i like barnsey first of all.

second the runner has to run a fair bloody way, if you have to get a message to a midfielder you need to catch them (hard enough) but it cant be at a stoppage and cant be when they are in the play or at the ball so to finally get them your on the ground a while.

Who cares if he acts as on field coach, isnt that what he is?? he is delivering coaches messages which will be about positiong and advice.!!

as long as he stays out of the way of the other team and doesn linger in the way he is fine, running over 10k a game sounds pretty hard to me

i think the suspension is pretty harsh,

ugg
14th April 2005, 06:28 PM

as long as he stays out of the way of the other team and doesn linger in the way

I think that's pretty much why he got suspended.

Wil
14th April 2005, 06:37 PM
What is with runners anyway? There are three stoppages during the game and unlimited interchange. Get rid of the runners for good and let the players play.

Between the 15 or so umpires on the field and the plethora of runners (some in fluoro - some not) there are way too many people on the field as it is.

ScottH
14th April 2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Wil
What is with runners anyway? There are three stoppages during the game and unlimited interchange. Get rid of the runners for good and let the players play.

Between the 15 or so umpires on the field and the plethora of runners (some in fluoro - some not) there are way too many people on the field as it is. How do you interchange then, hold up a number like in soccer??

swansrule100
15th April 2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ugg
I think that's pretty much why he got suspended.

as long as thats the reason, there just seems to be a lot of discussion about runners giving advice and direction and coaching, but to me thats what a runners doing. He is the coaches messenger, and who cares what he says it probably doesnt help his team or hinder the other, who even listens to the runner half the time.

I just think its a rather trivial issue and when i see essendon i havent noticed him blocking the other team. There are more important things the afl shouls focus on

NMWBloods
15th April 2005, 04:36 PM
as long as thats the reason, there just seems to be a lot of discussion about runners giving advice and direction and coaching, but to me thats what a runners doing. He is the coaches messenger,

You've just summed up the problem with that inconsistent sentence. The runner is there to pass on the coach's message to players. He's not there to add further coaching advice of his own or to fill space or otherwise disrupt the game.

and who cares what he says it probably doesnt help his team or hinder the other, who even listens to the runner half the time.
What makes you say that?

I just think its a rather trivial issue and when i see essendon i havent noticed him blocking the other team. There are more important things the afl shouls focus on
I've noticed it a few times - he runs into open space when the opposition has the ball to make it look more crowded.

dread and might
15th April 2005, 05:47 PM
I HATE him:mad:

Destructive
16th April 2005, 11:54 AM
Would that be the first time ever that a runner has been suspended?