PDA

View Full Version : Time on ground

Nico
24th April 2005, 01:35 PM
Last night I noticed something about the rotations.

It appeared that Spriggs and McVeigh went off and on in tandem, yet when they come they immediately got possession out in the open.

Time on ground:

Spriggs - 16 possessions - 65 minutes
McVeigh - 11 " - 58 minutes
Buchanan - 13 " - 84 minutes
Nicks - 11 " - 111 minutes
SChneider - 11 " - 92 minutes
Mathews - 9 " - 73 minutes
Davis - 9 " - 88 minutes (why off 30 minutes)

My point here is on what I observed both Spriggs and McVeigh should play most of the game. If Spriggs can get 16 possessions in half a game and with his endurance why in the hell does he only play a minor role. McVeigh, apart from his "got caught clanger" (where was the talking from team mates) was pretty good in his cameo roles. I am stunned as to why Davis is ever off the ground.

One theory I have is that the massive rotations used by Roos doesn't do cohesion any good. They must be checking the scoreboard to see when they"must" come off.

I cannot for the life of me, given Buchanan's poor disposal and Schneider's inabilty to find the footy and poor vision (nice kick to Melbourne player in the square - he only rarely kicks that far) how they get more time than Spriggs and McVeigh.

What's the answer coach?

Snowy
24th April 2005, 01:41 PM
McVeigh needs to get more game time to develop him. Buchanan should not be in the team in the first place. Molloy said Davis needs to get himself fit, ditto Schneider. Said the team will improve when they get themselves fit. I also thought that Davis and to some extent MOL were redundant last night because playing in a congested forward line when most of the ball is delivered to Hall made it hard for them to get into the contest. Sprigg's big asset is his fitness so you could let him run himself ragged.

liz
24th April 2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Nico
McVeigh, apart from his "got caught clanger" (where was the talking from team mates) was pretty good in his cameo roles.

I thought it was one of McVeigh's best games and was a bit surprised when I came home and looked at the stats and realised he didn't get that many possessions.

Endurance can't be the problem with him so surely he should be playing substantially all of the game in the middle at the moment, at least while we are missing Williams.

Nico
24th April 2005, 01:46 PM
Liz he is playing his HALF a game in the midfield.

We need more creative midfielders like him. Half our side are defensive taggers for goodness sake.

stellation
24th April 2005, 02:16 PM
Davis' fitness does seem to be improving (at least he was sucking in not-quite-so-giant breaths when he came to the bench last night compared to Rds 1 and 4).

He does seem to be suffering a bit from Mickey playing, Roos is moving him to FF whenever Mickey is off the field... one of the big problems to me being that at times Mickey is off the field because he has had to do some running that has been brought about by Davis finding a bit of the pill around the ground... so as soon as he Davis gets a touch around the ground he gets sent to no mans land.

Nico
24th April 2005, 03:59 PM
Could it be that Roos is outcoaching himself.

anne
24th April 2005, 05:31 PM
I'm glad he can outcoach himself as he can't outcoach anyone else!

Snowy
24th April 2005, 08:02 PM
The forward structure ironically enough has looked worse since MOL has returned. As Roos said last night it looked dysfunctional. But it still seems to me that Hall is the option too many times, especially when he is swamped. Davis et al were virtually redundant last night because the runners had tunnel vision for Barry and often when he was caught out of position as well as surrounded.

ScottH
24th April 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by liz
I thought it was one of McVeigh's best games and was a bit surprised when I came home and looked at the stats and realised he didn't get that many possessions. The reason for this was that most of his possessions were quality possessions!! Except when he got run down with the ball, but that was not entirely his fault, he shoulda been told he was hot!

stellation
24th April 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
The reason for this was that most of his possessions were quality possessions!! Except when he got run down with the ball, but that was not entirely his fault, he shoulda been told he was hot!

It's not like it's a team game or anything Scott!

ScottH
24th April 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by stellation
It's not like it's a team game or anything Scott! Sorry, forgot it was individual immunity up for grabs!!!

Lets play for ourselves so we don't get dropped.

satchmopugdog
24th April 2005, 09:32 PM
That seemed to be the standout thing for me and my neighbour in our analysis this morning after recapturing my bloody dog who keeps escaping, that whenever Spriggs came on the ground something seemed to happen. Very pleasing for his sake,not that it matters what two middle aged dog capturing Ulverstonians think.

Nico
24th April 2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
That seemed to be the standout thing for me and my neighbour in our analysis this morning after recapturing my bloody dog who keeps escaping, that whenever Spriggs came on the ground something seemed to happen. Very pleasing for his sake,not that it matters what two middle aged dog capturing Ulverstonians think.

But did the dogs catch any Tassie Tigers?

ScottH
24th April 2005, 09:51 PM
Interesting to see that Dempster was one of 3 to stay on the ground all night. One of the others was Hall.
(Ed: actually 1 of 6)

Roos obviously has a lot of faith in him.

satchmopugdog
24th April 2005, 09:54 PM
Forgot to add that my neighbour and I (not that his opinion is worth much as he wears surf sandals WITH socks) thought Dempster was great. No Tassie Tigers were caught but my cat often deposits half a bandicoot on the front door mat.

Charlie
24th April 2005, 09:59 PM
I've been saying for probably a year that McVeigh needs game time. He won't learn the art of being a number one midfielder sitting on the interchange bench.

As for Spriggs - what is the point of recruiting a player with mediocre skills and a heart like Phar Lap, if you're going to play him as an impact player? Put him on the field throughout the match, use his spot on the bench to cycle less fit players on and off, and all the midfielders will be better for it in the last quarter.

Nico
24th April 2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I've been saying for probably a year that McVeigh needs game time. He won't learn the art of being a number one midfielder sitting on the interchange bench.

As for Spriggs - what is the point of recruiting a player with mediocre skills and a heart like Phar Lap, if you're going to play him as an impact player? Put him on the field throughout the match, use his spot on the bench to cycle less fit players on and off, and all the midfielders will be better for it in the last quarter.

I love the term impact player, Charlie. When Spriggs came on he had an impact. When he went off the reverse impact happened. Sheesh what ever happened to a game impact and the possibility of 3 Brownlow votes. Impact plays only work if they kick a goal to in the last seconds to win. Very hard to judge so called and impact/pich hitters value. All it is fresh legs

Never been able to come to terms with this. Before the interchange there was no such thing. In my time the only genuine impact player was Ted Hopkins in the 1970 GF for Carlton and he was on for the full second half.

Jeffers1984
24th April 2005, 10:21 PM
Spriggs is a ball magnet and seems to actually get the ball out of the congestion.
16 possies in the amount of time he had is amazing.

Charlie
24th April 2005, 10:25 PM
I love the term impact player, Charlie. When Spriggs came on he had an impact. When he went off the reverse impact happened. Sheesh what ever happened to a game impact and the possibility of 3 Brownlow votes. Impact plays only work if they kick a goal to in the last seconds to win. Very hard to judge so called and impact/pich hitters value. All it is fresh legs

Never been able to come to terms with this. Before the interchange there was no such thing. In my time the only genuine impact player was Ted Hopkins in the 1970 GF for Carlton and he was on for the full second half.

Sure. But it's a waste to put Spriggs in that role. He's one of the few midfielders in the team that actually could run out four quarters. Instead he's spending close to an hour sitting, taking up space on the interchange bench.

Perhaps 'short-burst' midfielder would be a more descriptive term than 'impact' midfielder.

Foreign Legion
24th April 2005, 10:31 PM
Yes the "Fittest player at the cluB" should be on for most of the game..... I don't remember "The Diesel" being interchanged - the runner would have copped a mouthful.

It is crap in my opinion - good players play all the game.

cruiser
24th April 2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
...No Tassie Tigers were caught but my cat often deposits half a bandicoot on the front door mat.
And maybe no bandicoots one day if people keep letting their cats out to kill native wildlife.

Slick Swans
24th April 2005, 11:00 PM
Is it just me or is it insanity, that it seemed all preseason the swans were talking up how spigs had broken every running record of all time and and the fastest 3km run anyones ever seen, and we put him on in 5 mnute bursts? Does that seem odd to anyone else?:confused:

Foreign Legion
24th April 2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
Is it just me or is it insanity, that it seemed all preseason the swans were talking up how spigs had broken every running record of all time and and the fastest 3km run anyones ever seen, and we put him on in 5 mnute bursts? Does that seem odd to anyone else?:confused:

Absolutely right Slick Swans - doesn't make any sense to me.

So, we would have taken the "Chimp" off - what a bloody joke.

REDV6
25th April 2005, 12:11 AM
When we had that spark in the 3rd quarter it coincided with Goodes and Sproggs coming on. The reversal in the tide coincided with Goodes and spriggs going off. Nick Davis was barelt sited and it is rediculous as he is as fit as he has ever been. Spent most of his time down back when he was on.

Maybe we need an assistant to roos to do the attacking site of the game

Snowy
25th April 2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Sure. But it's a waste to put Spriggs in that role. He's one of the few midfielders in the team that actually could run out four quarters. Instead he's spending close to an hour sitting, taking up space on the interchange bench.

Perhaps 'short-burst' midfielder would be a more descriptive term than 'impact' midfielder.

Exactly my point as earlier stated, the blokes with the best fitness should be used to run hard all night. An impact player is someone with brilliant skills who can snag you the odd goal. While Dempster played well, I also think one of the reasons he got full game time is that the way he played didn't empty his tank. It's only natural that midfielders will be rotated regardless of how well they're playing.

ROK Lobster
25th April 2005, 01:09 PM
Could it be that Roos is outcoaching himself.
Yep, the team is over coached. I spent all last week in a house with pay tv. I saw a snippet of Rodney Eade talking in some promo on the footy channel where ha said something about things being out of his control come game day. That was not how he coached at Sydney, and Roos is making the same mistakes. I reckon part of it is an arrogance thing - he wants to be in control. Part is a self protection (perhaps promotion) thing. Talk down the team, over and over, 'til everyone starts saying the Swans have no talent. Then any sucess is the coach's, and failure belongs to the players. I'm sure part of it is inexperience, knowing when to let go, and having the confidence to let the players make their own mistakes. Part of it is his calm, detached demeanour. Maybe it is time to lose his cool, get excited, make some rash, instinctive decissions in the box that he can scream down the phone, rather than with his protractor and compass set on his clip board high in the coaches box. Central to the gameplan ATM is the coach. The coach should not be the most important member of the team. Like a good umpire, a good coach should almost go unnoticed until he steps up to get the trophy.

Schneiderman
25th April 2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Yep, the team is over coached ... Maybe it is time to lose his cool, get excited, make some rash, instinctive decissions in the box that he can scream down the phone, rather than with his protractor and compass set on his clip board high in the coaches box.

So is the team over-coached or under-coached??

Central to the gameplan ATM is the coach. The coach should not be the most important member of the team. Like a good umpire, a good coach should almost go unnoticed until he steps up to get the trophy.

So is the coach central to the gameplan or are they not the most important member??

Cant tell whether you are being sarcastic or have gotten confused. I know I am.

ROK Lobster
25th April 2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Cant tell whether you are being sarcastic or have gotten confused. I know I am.
I don't think 'gotten' is a word?

LittleSchneider
25th April 2005, 01:20 PM
Yep, the team is over coached. I spent all last week in a house with pay tv. I saw a snippet of Rodney Eade talking in some promo on the footy channel where ha said something about things being out of his control come game day. That was not how he coached at Sydney, and Roos is making the same mistakes. I reckon part of it is an arrogance thing - he wants to be in control. Part is a self protection (perhaps promotion) thing. Talk down the team, over and over, 'til everyone starts saying the Swans have no talent. Then any sucess is the coach's, and failure belongs to the players. I'm sure part of it is inexperience, knowing when to let go, and having the confidence to let the players make their own mistakes. Part of it is his calm, detached demeanour. Maybe it is time to lose his cool, get excited, make some rash, instinctive decissions in the box that he can scream down the phone, rather than with his protractor and compass set on his clip board high in the coaches box. Central to the gameplan ATM is the coach. The coach should not be the most important member of the team. Like a good umpire, a good coach should almost go unnoticed until he steps up to get the trophy.

Actually I really agree with ROK Lobster here - quite an astute assessment.

Schneiderman
25th April 2005, 01:33 PM
I don't think 'gotten' is a word?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gotten

Does that confirm the confusion? :D