PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan

i'm-uninformed2
26th April 2005, 12:15 AM
I said a few years ago when Buchanan was delisted he was too fat, too slow and too useless - or words to that effect. I got bagged at the time.

Regardless of his skin folds or photos of his six pack which people sent me, because I know people on here love to argue distractions, my basic point was this - what good is he?

Can someone name me something significant he has done the past few weeks?

I mean, does he kick goals like other small forwards like Robertson or Davey, does he set up goals like a Mercuri used to, or has he turned a game like a Davis, etc, etc.

And I don't mean the generalisations like "he goes hard at the footy". And again, I don't mean "xxx player is no worse". I agree others are in bad form. And don't start saying I am comparing apples with oranges.

Truly, look at it this way - will he win us a flag, or not?

Goodbye Amon

motorace_182
26th April 2005, 01:37 AM
Since when has 1 player won a team a flag? Yeah i reckon he is good enough to assist in one, and i reckon he will one day in the near future play in a premiership team. He is hard at the footy. Generalisation or not, he gives it a red hot go and tries his nuts off. His skill level of late has let him down, but most have. To single Monty out at all is very rough.

Schneiderman
26th April 2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by i'm-uninformed2
Truly, look at it this way - will he win us a flag, or not?

Probably not... which is why he's not on $500,000 per year. Good thing too, considering we have a salary cap and all :rolleyes:

sharpie
26th April 2005, 10:20 AM
At this stage he deserves to be dropped as he is not doing anything more than a debutant midfielder such as Schmidt or Willhoughby probably could. His form is horrible to the point of being useless at the moment.

But, it is too early to write him off forever. He has shown that he has potential to be a decent inside midfielder, but until he gets any form back, he's just wasting space on the bench. Give him a run in the 2s and get a fresh face in the team for a few weeks while he recovers some form.

Paul Bevan needs exactly the same treatment at the moment.

tez
26th April 2005, 10:37 AM
I thought his first quarter was good and overall had a good
game.
I recall one nice foot pass to MOL who missed
the set shot. I feel that Buchanen is one os those players
whose contributions are over looked because he is not up
there kicking goals but providing opportunities, through his
ability to get the hard ball out to others.

LittleSchneider
26th April 2005, 02:21 PM
Tez - may I ask what games have you been watching the past few weeks?
Seeing the game live means that those 'little' things you talk of - the running and pressure (Which really WASNT there on the weekend) etc are seen.
His form has been rubbish - mcveigh and schneider got dropped for less - drop him to help him find form.

Diego
26th April 2005, 02:22 PM
Him and paul beven are taking up two youngesters space on t he list.

Trade bait if we are lucky. I doubt it though.

ROK Lobster
26th April 2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Diego

Given last year's 'aggresive' trading strategy that saw not one on our list snapped up by another club, I think we would be very lucky.

liz
26th April 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Diego
Him and paul beven are taking up two youngesters space on t he list.

At the end of last year Bevan finished top 5 in the RS Award.

Yes, he still has a lot to learn but many players find their second and third years tougher than their first before settling down to become decent players. To suggest he is wasting space on the list is a premature comment, surely.

What will we do when Moore, Schmidt, Dempster, Malceski, Grundy, Willoughby et al all fail to become superstars of the competition within their second year of senior football? Will we call for them to be dumped too?

Whether he should currently be in the team is another question altogether, though as per a post on another thread, I'm not sure there is anyone else in the wings who would necessarily do better at the moment.

stellation
26th April 2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by liz

What will we do when Moore, Schmidt, Dempster, Malceski, Grundy, Willoughby et al all fail to become superstars of the competition within their second year of senior football? Will we call for them to be dumped too?

I think you know the answer to that one Liz. ;)

sharpie
26th April 2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by liz
Whether he should currently be in the team is another question altogether, though as per a post on another thread, I'm not sure there is anyone else in the wings who would necessarily do better at the moment.

The rest I agree with, but this I dont. I would agree with this comment if it was in regards to a Mathews, Kennelly or Maxfield, who are all integral parts of the team's structural setup (for better or worse), but I struggle to believe that either Bevan or Buchanan have actually added much this season that a debutant couldnt with the same amount of opportunities.

anne
26th April 2005, 03:37 PM
...but no-one else gets opportunities.

smasher
1st May 2005, 09:30 AM
Roosy loves Bevan so you'd expect he to be pencilled in early at the selection table.

hammo
1st May 2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by liz

It would be nice if they were given a chance to show what they've got.

The coaching staff won't find out anything if they keep running round in the reserves notching up 30 possessions.

Whitefox
1st May 2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by liz

We're not talking about becoming superstars - we're talking about having the absolute basic football skills and being able to make a half decent decision.

Rob-bloods
1st May 2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by liz
At the end of last year Bevan finished top 5 in the RS Award.

Yes, he still has a lot to learn but many players find their second and third years tougher than their first before settling down to become decent players. To suggest he is wasting space on the list is a premature comment, surely.

I agree with the, as usual, eminently thoughtful Liz.

I for one like players that have a red hot go, Bevo only a second year player who gets stuck in week in week out, a bit early for the jury to hang him surely. The third and fourth year players (in 1st grade) who still do not have the goods, and don't seem to give 100%...yep ditch them.

There is a lot of talk that we lack midfield "class" and we do, but do you notice that most teams in the league have a few tall and/or large bodied defenders each coming through except....you guessed it, US!

How honestly can you beat an in form team with LRT and Schauble in the defence?

And what about crumbers? When the ball comes to ground when BBBH doesn't mark who do you see in screen shot? Three defenders normally, so where are our small forwards? If they are really just trudging up the field from a defensive position then I will 'join in the chorus alright'...... the "SACK ROOS'y" one.....!

Scottee
1st May 2005, 11:19 AM
I find it strange that no-one has mentioned the name "Schneider" in this thread.

NMWBloods
1st May 2005, 11:32 AM
Schneider has good basic football skills, but seems to lack something - application, determination, a want for the ball, or whatever. He is struggling big time. I think it's time to put him in the forward pocket and leave them there for the entire game just to settle him.

Buchanan is a strange one. He's actually one ofthe few guys in our team who is capable of one grab in a pack situation and find space and find an open man in good position when the game is in close. His longer distance disposal hurts him badly though. Like so many of our players, he should mainly stick to handballing (why can't most of our team kick?).

Bevan is having a shocker of a year. Continues to dive on the ball and lose his feet. Not sure if there is much point in dumping him yet - he needs more experience so we may as well as run him out for the year unless he gets significantly worse.

As for "Moore, Schmidt, Dempster, Malceski, Grundy, Willoughby et al" maybe we could actually see them play at some point and see if they're going to make it rather than see the same old names in the side week after week.

We desperately need to try out some more of the youngsters. So many other sides give their young guys a go, yet we seem to leave them in the crappy reserves, where they learn nothing, for years on end.

Mike_B
1st May 2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
We desperately need to try out some more of the youngsters. So many other sides give their young guys a go, yet we seem to leave them in the crappy reserves, where they learn nothing, for years on end.

And its every other club except us that can afford to leave players in the reserves for longer to aid their development through playing in strong 2nd-tier comps (maybe with the exception of Brisbane, but the QAFL is still a long way ahead of the ACTAFL).

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st May 2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Whitefox
We're not talking about becoming superstars - we're talking about having the absolute basic football skills and being able to make a half decent decision.

If that were the case, then basucally the whole team would be getting dropped.

I mean what team continues to handball willynilly in the backline in the wet. :rolleyes:

I have always thought Monty had suspect skills. Sadly I have been proven correct.

I'd love to see either Moore, Grundy, Malceski Schmidt or Willoughby get a game. But where do these guys play their best footy? Can they simply replace players like Bevan Buchanan Schneider or Matthews? I doubt it.

JF
PS:- One thing I do hate to death. When it has rained constantly during the footy interstate, meaning every flag i have brought over is saturated. And then the next day there is not a cloud in the sky. :rolleyes:

EMJ
1st May 2005, 01:33 PM
Schneider seems to be in a "mood" When he was benched last night the phone was handed to him - and he certainly had the grumps.
He avoids tackles and never seems to go in hard.
He needs to go down a grade and a new debutante brought in.
Dempster is doing okay - only need other players to catch the ball from his deliveries.

ROK Lobster
1st May 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by janpa
only need other players to catch the ball from his deliveries.
Wicket-keeper?

Snowy
1st May 2005, 01:47 PM
the fact that Bevan was in the starting 18 last night suggests that Roos overrates him.

Bleed Red Blood
1st May 2005, 02:45 PM

Yep. I can think of only four players who have debuted for us in the last two years. (Thewlis, Bevan, Dempster and McVeigh)

That says a lot, Thewlis isn't with us any more. McVeigh hardly get's any game time and Bevan can't kick, can't make decisions quickly and trys to do to much.

Bring in the Kesk!!

stellation
1st May 2005, 03:13 PM
Schneider has good basic football skills, but seems to lack something - application, determination, a want for the ball, or whatever. He is struggling big time. I think it's time to put him in the forward pocket and leave them there for the entire game just to settle him.
I totally agree with the idea of throwing Schneider into a Forward Pocket and leaving him there. He has shown he can create in that situation and he has more experience under his wings now. I'd like to see a FF line next week of
Schneider Saddington O'Loughlin
and if Roos wants to call Mickey the FF then I don't mind and he can switch with Jason, as long as both Mickey and Jason play from the square... I don't want to bring Saddo straight back in and make him a FF because he did okay for one game last year, I just want someone running out of the goal square who will either take a mark or spill it forward (this is assuming Hall plays CHF).

Nico
1st May 2005, 05:31 PM
I too agree with throwing Schneider in to the forward pocket, but not with the Sydney Swans.

In answer to NMW on what is wrong with him. It is very simple.

He a squib through and through.

In his first season 2003 he showed it a couple of times, particularly at Optus Oval one day where he did the cat jump to get out of the way of a confrontation. He did it again at the G last year and now gets around that by just not going for the contest.

Hey, his body is probably not the type to cut it at the top level, that is no shame, but if you are out there you must be prepared to put the body on the line, which he is not.

NMWBloods
1st May 2005, 06:04 PM
He is a lair and does shirk contests. Roos needs to have a word to him and tell him what needs to be done.

Nico
1st May 2005, 10:09 PM
He is a lair and does shirk contests. Roos needs to have a word to him and tell him what needs to be done.

You are being very kind to him NMW.

He gives us absolutely nothing.

If you take just Schneider, Bevan and Buchanan out of our side and replace them with 3 players with some talent, and who can keep their feet, we would be a goals better side.

Mike_B
1st May 2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Nico
If you take just Schneider, Bevan and Buchanan out of our side and replace them with 3 players with some talent, and who can keep their feet, we would be a goals better side.

So we will kick 9 goals instead of 8??? ;)

Nico
1st May 2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
So we will kick 9 goals instead of 8??? ;)

It would be a start.

The 3 men aforementioned rarely kick goals so one each by the inductees means 11.

hammo
2nd May 2005, 03:46 PM
For me Buchanan's contribution was summed up in the final quarter when he went for a kick off the ground despite being 10 metres in the clear.

adnar
2nd May 2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Bevan .

I think this is a kind of contradiction. Bevan at least puts his body on the line and dosn't shy from contests.

cruiser
2nd May 2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by hammo
For me Buchanan's contribution was summed up in the final quarter when he went for a kick off the ground despite being 10 metres in the clear.
It was contagious. Maxfield did the same right at the start of the game and the end result was an Eagles goal.

skilts stilts
2nd May 2005, 04:04 PM
I look silly at this time for saying it but I reckon Bucchanan is a gem.
He has poise and swagger of arrogance when he gets the ball that reminds me a lot of Leigh Matthews when he played his last few years as a small forward.
If anything he is not selfish enough to be playing on the forward line.
I hope Roos continues to be patient with him.

Wil
2nd May 2005, 04:16 PM
I kind of agree with skilts stilts. I think Bucky can turn into the midfielder we (will) need i.e. to replace Willo when he retires.

I tend to think of Bucky like the Hyphen. Not really doing much in the team, but still not being a negative influence i.e. not costing us that much considering they are being "blooded". They are not as costly to the team as say Nicks, Mathews and possibly Maxfield and Bevan.

tez
2nd May 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by skilts stilts
I look silly at this time for saying it but I reckon Bucchanan is a gem.
He has poise and swagger of arrogance when he gets the ball that reminds me a lot of Leigh Matthews when he played his last few years as a small forward.
If anything he is not selfish enough to be playing on the forward line.
I hope Roos continues to be patient with him.

I agree, and have been a Bucky supporter since the game at
Subi last year against WCE where he put in a hard physical
effort . I would like to see him start in a forward pocket and
work as a crumber to BBH as he leads out from F/F . I hope
Roosy perseveres with him.