PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help!

christina
24th April 2003, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here and I need your help! I'm a year 12 HSC student and I'm doing a Personal Interest Project as part of a major work. I'm doing mine on the psyche of the football fan and the driving and motivating forces behind the need for people to not only associate themselves with a football team but also to further commit to a team and the extents to which they go to to support this desire. Primary research is a must. Consequenlty if you could fill out the following questionnaire it would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Christina

Full name -

Age ?

Location ?

Team followed and why ?

First football experience ?

What excites you about footy? ?

What is the best thing about footy? ?

What is the worst thing about footy? ?

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ?

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ?

Greatest football experience and why? ?

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ?

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ?

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ?

Is it more than a game? ?

TheMase
24th April 2003, 12:02 PM
No Problems ..

Full name - Luke Warren Mason

Age ? 19

Location ? Bathurst

Team followed and why ? Born a Swans fan, Always a Swans fan. There is just something about this club ....

First football experience ? First was when I was very very young obviously. But if you mean liveish, well I started playing in 1993, and went to my first match in the same year.
Also in that year saw Sydney get up over Melbourne for their only win of the season.

What excites you about footy? ? The atmosphere is amazing. The game is fast and exciting. Just sharing the experience with out fans make it all the more special as you know they share the same passion for the same side. You can go to the footy and just speak to anyone because you KNOW they share a common interest. The game itself starts when you're young and your heros, Paul Kelly, Tony Lockett are running amok on the footy field. And when they win, you feel so proud, and you speak of them like WE won. You feel as though you were part of their win all the way.

What is the best thing about footy? ? So many things. But I would say the Passion of the supporters would be the best thing. It just creates an amazing atmosphere, just something I cannot explain.

What is the worst thing about footy? ? Does this exist? I didn't think there was a bad thing? I would say the fact that it is turning into too much of a business. To the extent that the Leagues profit margin is more important than the average fan that gives the League their profits.

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? Living so far away I cannot go to every match. But I watch/listen/pay attention to each and every match they play. Never leave a game early. I like to be part of the club, that means riding the lows and the high and being with the club even when the play SHOCKING football.

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Yes very emotional. Why? The game is a very passionate game, and AFL supporters are very passionate about their club, so much to the extent that if a team loses they feel the clubs pain, especially if they were disappointing.
I have cried at the footy from a loss before, it is a very emotional sport, both on and off the field.

Greatest football experience and why? ? My own experience would be winning the 1999 Premiership for my club. Other than that the moment Tony Lockett kicked that behind to put us into the Grand Final. That was a very proud moment ..

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? As I have mentioned when you are a supporter of a club, and passionate about it, you ride the bumps like you are part of the club. You take the highs and the lows and live every moment like you are part of the club.

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? I live at Bathurst, so it is a fair way to travel to get there.
No matter where I am in Australia I always find a way to find out the scores or listen to the radio coverage, even if it is listening to another match just to get an update.
I have actually run off at half time during one of my own games and not caring about my game I ran up to my father and said "How are we going?"

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? Passionate and Loyal. Not just for Sydney but my own football. But very much a Swans fan.

Is it more than a game? ? Definetely. ;)

Charlie
24th April 2003, 12:31 PM
Yep... I'll play! Welcome to the site!

Originally posted by christina
Hey guys, I'm new here and I need your help! I'm a year 12 HSC student and I'm doing a Personal Interest Project as part of a major work. I'm doing mine on the psyche of the football fan and the driving and motivating forces behind the need for people to not only associate themselves with a football team but also to further commit to a team and the extents to which they go to to support this desire. Primary research is a must. Consequenlty if you could fill out the following questionnaire it would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Christina

Full name - Charlie Goodman

Age ? 16

Location ? Melbourne

Team followed and why ? Sydney... because my father did.

First football experience ? On TV = 1993 Grand Final. Live = Sydney vs Footscray at Western Oval, 1994. We got beat by 79 points.

What excites you about footy? ? The highlights, the big crowds...

What is the best thing about footy? ? winning

What is the worst thing about footy? ? losing, Collingwood fans ;)

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? membership, wearing the scarf etc. I'm always willing to stick up for them in an argument, too... at least, against fans of other clubs... :D

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Of course... because it's footy... and it's just... important. A classic match could be the subject of conversation all week... you don't want to be on the losing end of that.

Greatest football experience and why? ? Paul Kelly's last game... just the emotion of it all.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? loyalty. love of the club.

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? Travelled interstate on 8 occasions to see games. Was almost hospitalized in 1999 after trying to go to a game a few days after being diagnosed with diabetes.

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? fanatical

Is it more than a game? ? yep

floppinab
24th April 2003, 01:01 PM
I'll have a crack,

Full name - ummm, might pass on that bit!

Age - 34

Location ? Sydney

Team followed and why ? Sydney in AFL and still Sturt in SANFL

First football experience ? 1972 SANFL Grand Final as a 3 year old on dad's shoulders!!!!

What excites you about footy? ? The dynamics of our game compared to others : blowout scores and draws, fast and yet physical, hand and foot skills required, generally a place for all body types, and of course big speciies and freak goals!!!

What is the best thing about footy? ? It's hard to pull something specific out but ..... beating Collingwood or Port Adelaide!!!!!

What is the worst thing about footy? - What Masey said (although the good thing is that despite all that grass roots footy still survives and provides a good antidote to the AFL).

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? Membership, attendance, not walking out when your 10 goals down

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Occasionally I get so worked up to be feeling physically ill before a big match, particularly when I can't be at the game for some reason, a close game can only make it worse.

Greatest football experience and why? ? 1976 SANFL Grand Final widely regarded as one the best in Adelaide, a record crowd for Footy Park (66 odd thousand, they asked people to sit over the fence on the grass inside the boundary to fit more in, wouldn't happen now), as a 7 year old it all felt so BIG, nothing else has come near it since.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? A simple view of loyalty, I've been in Sydney 12 odd years, they are my, albeit adopted team, they've grown on me in that time, there's a bit I don't like about them, but that's life isn't it.

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? Went and saw Sturt get up in the SANFL GF last year (first since that one in '76). Haven't travelled so far for the Swans but with my kids getting older that'll start in the coming years for sure.

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? Proud Supporter, not part of the lunatic dimension (nothing against them but for me there are other things in life), but also enjoy being a part of footy at all levels down to the kids.

Is it more than a game? ? It's life!!!

desredandwhite
24th April 2003, 01:33 PM
Just moving this thread to the appropriate forum, Christina - will answer your questions in a sec...

Swansinger
24th April 2003, 01:41 PM
Full name - Cygnatius Swan

Age ?40

Location ?in my study - in Sydney

Team followed and why ?Swans - they're local

First football experience ?watching the Swans lose their winning home streak to St.Kilda 1997 :119-128

What excites you about footy? ?speed , action

What is the best thing about footy? ? see above

What is the worst thing about footy? ?watching the Swans lose without fighting

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ?
I'm a member and I cheer a lot - which is more than can be said for some of the fair-weather fans.
I stay in the outer when a storm breaks-which is more than can be said for a lot of fans.

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ?
A bit , but not too much - just does not do when you're British , y'know.

Greatest football experience and why? ?
Watching Plugger kick 8 v Adelaide in his last home game.
And towelling the Kangas 143-36.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ?
It's called "loyalty".

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ?
I'd have to check the odometer.

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ?
Old , fat , uninformed , enthusiastic.

Is it more than a game? ?Not for me.Many who think it is , have nothing else in life.
Research the demographics of supporters of English soccer clubs and you will see what I mean.

desredandwhite
24th April 2003, 01:42 PM
Age ? 25

Location ? Sydney (western)

Team followed and why ? Sydney - Local team

First football experience ? rd 11, 1997 - Sydney v North Melbourne, SCG. A mate from uni decided to go to a game to see what the fuss was all about. Have only missed 2 home games since.

What excites you about footy? ? The possibility of winning, no matter who the opponent, or the venue.

What is the best thing about footy? ? The friendships you form while following it.

What is the worst thing about footy? ? watching the games. Hate every minute of them because I care about the result.

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? Wearing the colours, going to games no matter what.

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Yes, because the team ends up being an extension of you. When they're down, you're down.

Greatest football experience and why? ? Syd v Roos in 99 I think - We came from 40+ points down to win. Team showed a lot of heart.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? They're my team. why wouldn't I?

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? the interstate trips, letting my so called friends know that footy days are off-limits when organising social events.

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? I'm a Sydney supporter. That should be sufficient.

Is it more than a game? ? Yes and no. While the result is important, and you feel every loss and injury, sometimes what you learn on the way there is just as important.

bricon
24th April 2003, 02:29 PM
Full name - Brian Conway

Age ? 47

Location ? Sydney

Team followed and why ? Sydney, I've followed them since they relocated to Sydney from South Melbourne

First football experience ? Swans v Melbourne SCG 1982

What excites you about footy? ? The drama, passion and sheer exhilaration of the game

What is the best thing about footy? ? Winning a match against all odds

What is the worst thing about footy? ? Losing games after enjoying an "unnassailable" lead

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? Wear the colours; have sponsored the club in the past, get to every game I can.

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Absolutely; footy can be VERY emotional, supporting a team is more than just cheering - true supporters feel the pain of a loss, share a player's anguish at a serious injury and feel thet we have been an integral part of a win.

Greatest football experience and why? ? 1996 Grand Final - I have never been prouder to be a Swans supporter than that day.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? The Swans are very important to me and are a part of my identity. I've only missed a handful of home games in the past 21+ seasons, I'd never give up on the Swans regardless of where they finish on the premiership ladder.

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? Went to Wellington, New Zealand to support the team in a pre-season game against Melbourne in 1998 - we lost!

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? Passionate about my team but certainly not one eyed.

Is it more than a game? ? Yes. Football is an important part of my life.

Jeffers1984
24th April 2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by christina

Cheers
Christina

Full name - Jeff Hilario

Age ?18

Location ?Sydney

Team followed and why ?Sydney Swans because they are from sydney and contained absolute champions such as Paul Kelly and Tony Lockett

First football experience ?TV- 1994...VS Hawthorn

What excites you about footy? ?The Atmosphere and the General Play

What is the best thing about footy? ? Winning of course

What is the worst thing about footy? ? Fair wheather supporters and losing i guess

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? by buying a membership every year and not leaving the game early even if we are getting smashed

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ?Yes i do, because i bleed for the club and maybe cause i'm not as pre-occupied as much at the time :)

Greatest football experience and why? ? Plugger 1300 because of the fact that his record will never be broken again

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? because i wanna go through the pain of reaching the ultimate goal of winning the premiership. and when it is reached it will make it even sweeter...

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? Going to the games alone this year cause my mate (who is the only die hard swans supporter i know) is in Enlgand for the year
As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? Loud, Moody, Enthusiastic

Is it more than a game? ? Hell yes
:D :D

Bron
24th April 2003, 07:52 PM
Full name - Bronwyn Evans

Age ? 41 (ugh)

Location ? Lindfield

Team followed and why ? Swans, I love them, they're my team, I live in Sydney and they're my team

First football experience ? 1996 Grand Final

What excites you about footy? ? The crowd chant at the SCG, the effort and excitement, feeling part of the club

What is the best thing about footy? ? 1 When we win, 2 when we goal, 3 just being there especially when the SCG crowd goes for it!

What is the worst thing about footy? ? When the Swans are ahead and let it go because we aren't focused

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? I get involved in every way that I possibly can - RWO, Redbacks, SSI, offering our business services to the club, sending congratulations to players who have done well after each game, attending all club functions that I possibly can, I talk to all the players that I can and let them know how much we care

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? Absolutely, they are my team, and I love them dearly, I bawled my eyes out when Paul Kelly retired, I scream my heart out until the last moments of the game

Greatest football experience and why? ? Luffy's farewell game, (I was going to say Plugger's 1300, but I was more involved in Luffy's game) the crowd was screaming "Luffy" when he took the last mark, the lap of honour was fantastic, the aftermatch was euphoric - Luffy is the ultimate Club man. Also loved PK & AD's farewell coupled with the Choose Roos campaign and Plugger's 1300 of course. The passion was fantastic.

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? They are my team, I love them regardless. I know the guys and I admire them enormously.

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? I will do pretty much anything that I think adds value

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? fanatical - my greatest accolade was at a lunch when Luffy introduced me as the "most fanatical supporter that he knew" :-)

Is it more than a game? ? It's not life, but it's bloody close!

CureTheSane
27th April 2003, 11:57 AM
Full name - Martin Rowe

Age ? 33

Location ? Melbourne

Team followed and why ? Sydney, follewed the when they were South Melbourne. Why did I originally follow them? I have no idea really, My dad follows St.Kilda and my mom Essendon. I guess I picked my own team, they were battlers, and I always like the red & white colors. there may have ben otehr reasons, but those brain cells are long gone lol

First football experience ? Damn alcohol, killing off all my good memories :(

What excites you about footy? ? The pace, the high scores, the way it can change, the spectacles, the toughness, but most of all, when the Swans PUMP another team, especially The Eddies

What is the best thing about footy? ? see above

What is the worst thing about footy? ? Eddie McGuire, the softening of our game, and potential rule changes. Oh, and the initial coverage of the Swans games every year :mad

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? colours, being here, verbally supporting them, membership

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? sure, because I don't wanna see the Swans lose/wanna see them win :)

Greatest football experience and why? ? 96 GF :)

Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? because they might perform better the following year

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? travelling to Sydney to see them play

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? passionate

Is it more than a game? ? no. It's just a game, but one that I am passionate about :D

RogueSwan
2nd May 2003, 03:51 PM
Full name - Dave

Age ? 29

Location ? Maroubra

Team followed and why ? Swans, no other team in Sydney

First football experience ? BBQ sometime in 96'

What excites you about footy? ? the speed momentum can change, 50m runs through the middle and bomb from 40-50m out

What is the best thing about footy? ? the atmosphere at the ground.
What is the worst thing about footy? ? some of the fans at the ground who hurl abuse.

How do you show loyalty and commitment to your club? ? watch all the games

Do you become emotional at games? Why/why not? ? yes, when we come from behind you can not stop screaming

Greatest football experience and why? ? the first game I went to at the SCG, it was overwhelming.
Why do you return each season to support your club regardless of how they have performed the previous year? ? yes

What is the greatest length you have gone to to support your club? ? nothing outstanding just going to the home games

As a footy fan, how would you describe yourself? ? a pig for information and opinion

Is it more than a game? ? yes to a certain extent. to me other sports (not surfing) don't seem to suck me in, they are just games