PDA

View Full Version : A Seppo's Perspective

FootyontheBrain
18th May 2005, 04:05 PM
Thought some of you diehards would get a kick out this.

http://www.usfooty.com/usfooty/newsitem.aspx?menu=homepagemenu&id=495

This is a journal from an American who's playing footy at Macquarie Univ. The kid is one of the best american players who will be playing in Melbourne later this year in the 2nd International Cup for the American Revolution.

One outtake in particular.

"On Sunday I headed to my first AFL game, the Sydney Swans v. Port Adelaide Power. My roommate and I took a bus to the Queen Victoria Building then walked to the Sydney Cricket Ground, the smallest venue in the AFL. The weather couldn?t make up its mind. First it was sunny and warm, then rain clouds threatened, then back again to sun. It finally decided to be cold and windy. We sat on the Yabba hill behind the goal and we swore it was designed as a wind tunnel. I usually feel pretty tough compared to Australians when it comes to cool weather but Sunday was an exception. I felt like a turtle as I tried to pull my head into my jacket.

The game was good but a little slow. There were a few spectacular displays of athleticism but one in particular got everyone?s attention, and it happened at our end. A kick came to Power?s forward line. One of the Swans, number 16 came from the back of the pack, launched himself up and took the mark kneeling on another players shoulders. If my memory serves me right, the player he jumped on was Tredrea, one of the most dominant forwards in the AFL. To take a mark over Tredrea is no small feat."

j s
18th May 2005, 05:22 PM
This quote is good too....

It was a good learning experience seeing how the professionals performed. Their kicks and hand-passes were pin-point accurate. Their poise and courage in a crowd is not something to scoff at. How they survive the game uninjured is nothing short of a miracle.

....contradicts all the knockers around here a bit. :)

footyhead
18th May 2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by j s
This quote is good too....

....contradicts all the knockers around here a bit. :)

It's comparative mate. The seppo is impressed by two lowly AFL teams. He would be impressed by the skill level in the VFL. Compared to the skill level in the yank comp of course the Swans and hungover port look good.
But copare those skills to where the Swans need to be to win the flag and you have a sobering thought on your hands.

GoSouth33
18th May 2005, 08:12 PM
It's good that they follow and play aussie rules......then again when you look at their national football game why wouldn't they!

FootyontheBrain
18th May 2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by footyhead
It's comparative mate. The seppo is impressed by two lowly AFL teams. He would be impressed by the skill level in the VFL. Compared to the skill level in the yank comp of course the Swans and hungover port look good.
But copare those skills to where the Swans need to be to win the flag and you have a sobering thought on your hands.

Balmain looked like world beaters to us in 2003 when Luffy brought the squad over to New York for a match.

ScottH
19th May 2005, 07:30 AM
Talking to yourself, now????