PDA

View Full Version : Leo & Roos

Mark
5th June 2005, 05:27 PM
I did not watch the game live, so would be interested on thoughts of those at the game,

Why did Roos allow Fevola to drag Leo barry out of defence ?

I know that Roos has coached a few more AFL games than me blah blah blah

But, Leo was providing his usual run/clearance as well as completely shutting Fevola down. Pagan drags him up ground to remove his influence and Roosy lets it happen ?

Also realise Fevola is their key forward and Roos may have been happy with the seeming victory. Just seemed a waste of Leo to me ?

NMWBloods
5th June 2005, 05:53 PM
Did seem that way. Although there were some comments that Barry should be more comfortable further up the ground than Fevola. Makes sense, but didn't seem that way.

Perhaps Roos thought Barry could provide some run off the flank and Fevola would remain out of it.

It seemed to be an advantage for us, but not sure how much it was.

liz
5th June 2005, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't have thought Roos would have been that upset. We were getting run out of the back half from Kennelly and Bolton at various times during the game. And though Fevola wasn't having his best game, he's one of those players more than capable of bobbing up, taking a couple of marks and kicking goals. I think him being away from the goal square was a "win" for Roos.

stellation
5th June 2005, 06:33 PM
I was watching on television so couldn't see the rest of the forward line, but when they said that Whitnall had walked to the square and Fevola had taken Barry out of the picture it seemed an odd move (although Lance started turning up around the ground so it didn't seem to last long). Lance was having a blinder playing at CHF, I wasn't sure either moving him to FF or removing that second potential marking option from FF was a good idea.

Wil
6th June 2005, 08:21 AM
I think its one of those moves that Pagan probably patted himself on the back for but was ultimately self-defeating. Leo Barry's role nowadays is to shut down his opponent rather than generate run from the backs. If he shuts his opponent down by good play in the goal square or because his man was moved away from the goal square - either way - it is effective.

gossipcom
6th June 2005, 02:23 PM
They said the reason Lance moved from FF in the 4th Quarter was to give Bryan a rest since the Blues only had one ruckman.

Fevola was the one who was dragging Barry around the ground it wasn't the other way around. Well that's what it looked like and the commentators picked up on that as well.