PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall for fulltime Captain

footyhead
12th June 2005, 05:56 PM
Got the presence, got the talent, got the respect!!

punter257
12th June 2005, 05:57 PM
yep i agree

stellation
12th June 2005, 06:12 PM
Got to wait to see the other 3... I am particuarly keen to see how Goodes goes with a run as captain.

footyhead
12th June 2005, 06:17 PM
None of the others have the presence nor the consistency that hall has proven over many years as an elite footballer in the top 5-10 players in the league for his position.

He also inspires his team mates and can win a game off his own boot.

It has to be Hall.

Cher
12th June 2005, 07:40 PM
He sounds as though he would like the job full time

footyhead
12th June 2005, 08:03 PM
Which also is a good thing.

Dave
12th June 2005, 08:54 PM
He gets my vote.;)

Vivien
12th June 2005, 10:09 PM
Yes, I think we have to give the others a chance before we start talking about who gets the job. Who knows, Benny Matthews could be a revelation! My personal preference is Kirk, simply because of the respect he appears to have accrued from his teammates and the courageous manner in which he plays his football. Jude Bolton is also a personal favourite, but I still feel that he is a bit young.

I certainly agree that Hall is an exceptional, inspirational player - clearly our best and generally most consistent. But I don't think the best player in the team should necessarily be the captain...

Nico
12th June 2005, 11:08 PM
Resounding YES for Barry Hall, by a country mile.

Charlie
12th June 2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Vivien
Jude Bolton is also a personal favourite, but I still feel that he is a bit young.

Not necessarily, but I wouldn't want a captain younger than 26, which Jude and Goodesy will be next year.

There's no reason why one of them can't be Kirk or Hall's successor. If they had it for four years, and stepped down at 32 (hopefully a year or two before retiring), Bolton and Goodes will still only be turning 30. That would set one of them up for 3-4 years as well.

Jimmy C
12th June 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm keen to see how Goodes goes at it. I can't see Jude or Matthews doing convincing jobs. Baz looks to be the strongest contender from my coaches armchair (with Kirk as VC).

Vivien
12th June 2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Charlie

There's no reason why one of them can't be Kirk or Hall's successor. If they had it for four years, and stepped down at 32 (hopefully a year or two before retiring), Bolton and Goodes will still only be turning 30. That would set one of them up for 3-4 years as well.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I think either Bolton and Goodes have the makings of captains, but perhaps they'd be better used once Maxfield's successor has retired.

Ablett_20
13th June 2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
Got the presence, got the talent, got the respect!!

I agree as well but I also want to see how the others will go. But so far I reckon Big Bad bustling Barry Hall! :D

Destructive
13th June 2005, 03:55 PM
There is a heck of a lot more grunt while he's been captain. Grunt is definately what we need.

RogueSwan
13th June 2005, 05:36 PM
Kirk for mine, but interested to see how Goodes and Jude go. The team is too Hall centric as it is, making him Captain would make it worse.

Rizzo
13th June 2005, 05:59 PM
Definitely a more attacking mindset under Hall. I'm a huge Kirk fan but Hall gets my vote for captain thus far.

RogueSwan
13th June 2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
Definitely a more attacking mindset under Hall.

I'm sorry, but I do not think that is the case. Do you actually think that Hall decides the teams mindset, or is it that we have played to very ordinary teams (Carlton most likely woodenspooners and a B grade Dockers team that didn't show up) while he was Captain.
I don't think it would have mattered who was captain, against the two teams we played the Swans would have looked to be playing a more attacking game.

Vivien
14th June 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
I'm sorry, but I do not think that is the case. Do you actually think that Hall decides the teams mindset, or is it that we have played to very ordinary teams (Carlton most likely woodenspooners and a B grade Dockers team that didn't show up) while he was Captain.
I don't think it would have mattered who was captain, against the two teams we played the Swans would have looked to be playing a more attacking game.

I think you're right RogueSwan. I don't think the attacking nature of our play the last few weeks had very much to do with Barry Hall being captain. I could be wrong - he may have really stirred the guys up - but I think we were probably going to play that way regardless of the captain.

I think we have to be careful with how we approach this captaincy rotation business. There is no way we can judge the long-term suitability of any of the candidates based on just two matches of experience. The captaincy rotation should be looked upon as a small taste of the candidates' leadership capabilities, not as a contest where the best performer is rewarded with the permanent title. Hall has had two great games as captain, granted. But how will he cope with the full time position? How will any of them cope for that matter? What will they do when the chips are down and the team needs a lift? Who will lead from the front?

Remember, we are looking for a captain to lead us through the next two or three, perhaps even four years. Somebody with longevity, comittment and genuine character. Somebody who could perhaps take us to a grand final or two. We are fortunate enough to have many worthy contenders for this title. So let's make the most of that and explore our options fully, rather than dismissing some of the candidates before they've even been given a chance. Let's approach the issue with an open mind - because a good captain is an essential ingredient for success.

Ruck'n'Roll
14th June 2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
I'm keen to see how Goodes goes at it.

Me too, it affects some players more than others he could be a revelation.

premiers05
14th June 2005, 07:05 PM
I would like to see a Brownlow Medalist as Captain. At the moment only Goodes has it, but Kirk came close last year and Hall may be an option for one soon.:cool:

Schneiderman
14th June 2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Vivien
I think we have to be careful with how we approach this captaincy rotation business. There is no way we can judge the long-term suitability of any of the candidates based on just two matches of experience. The captaincy rotation should be looked upon as a small taste of the candidates' leadership capabilities, not as a contest where the best performer is rewarded with the permanent title. Hall has had two great games as captain, granted. But how will he cope with the full time position? How will any of them cope for that matter? What will they do when the chips are down and the team needs a lift? Who will lead from the front?

Well you contradict yourself a little their Vivien. You state that we would have played the way we did regardless of the captain, but then note that a good captain is essential for success. However I do agree with your point on being careful about how we approach the captaincy.

I think everyone should remember that all of the captains will get at least two weeks as Captain. Not just two games. So everything will be assessed... and if done right they will have some sort of official scorecard - even if the players never see them.

Bazza had to front up to the media, turn up to training, address the players, talk to sponsors, and a whole gamut of other things that go with the job. I reckon each and every coach and caretaker of the club were watching all of it keenly. Because leadership extends much further than 120min on a Sunday.

And I think those behind-the-scenes performances will rate just as highly in the minds of the people fo ultimately decide - just as they did with Maxi.

sydneyswans1989
14th June 2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah Barry Hall just seems like the right choice for captain, he is the type of man that can lead the swans to a flag in the next 5 years. But saying that i also would love to see Adam Goodes have a go at being captain for a few games, his only young but he seems like a nice bloke ( in & out of the club) & could be a great leader for us. Its ethier Barry Hall or Adam Goodes

TheHood
14th June 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
Yeah Barry Hall just seems like the right choice for captain, he is the type of man that can lead the swans to a flag in the next 5 years. But saying that i also would love to see Adam Goodes have a go at being captain for a few games, his only young but he seems like a nice bloke ( in & out of the club) & could be a great leader for us. Its ethier Barry Hall or Adam Goodes

If the Captaincy lifts Goodesy to his 2003 form, then the Sydney Swans would be in unstoppable form.

When you think about how good he was in 2003 and how off his game he was in 2004, gee we did well to go the distance we did last season.

If Goodesy gets 20 possies and takes 10+ marks, we generally win!

ScottH
15th June 2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
If Goodesy gets 20 possies and takes 10+ marks, we generally win! Goodes has had 20 possies 3 times this year, for 1 win (Carl) and 2 losses (Mel, StK) and very rarely takes 10+ marks, 3 times in the past 3 seasons. 1 (2003) 2 (2004) 0 (2005).

TheHood
15th June 2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Goodes has had 20 possies 3 times this year, for 1 win (Carl) and 2 losses (Mel, StK) and very rarely takes 10+ marks, 3 times in the past 3 seasons. 1 (2003) 2 (2004) 0 (2005).

Brilliant! Got the details on the games in 2003 and 2004? Who did we play and did we win or lose?

ScottH
15th June 2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
Brilliant! Got the details on the games in 2003 and 2004? Who did we play and did we win or lose?

03 Coll - Won (10 marks/16 Pos)
04 Bri - Lost by 2 (12/24)
04 Kan - Won (10/19)

Ruck'n'Roll
15th June 2005, 11:18 AM
Attention all STATSoids!
What inference can you draw from these numbers about Goodes' importance to the team?

NMWBloods
15th June 2005, 11:21 AM
Funny you should ask as I was just going to comment that Goodes is one of those players where stats are not overly meaningful. Of course, if he gets some extreme number its significant, but anything inbetween doesn't mean a lot. He's one of those players who can produce a matchwinning performance with 15 disposals or do nothing with 20. It all depends on what he's doing on the day (or often quarter by quarter).

Mike_B
15th June 2005, 11:30 AM
The other thing with Goodes is that he might have a game where he has taken say 4 or 5 marks, but 2 or 3 of those have been running back into space in our defensive 50 and stopping the forward movement.

It really is a case not just of how many, but where and when as well.

giant
15th June 2005, 11:46 AM
I could be wrong but I wouldnt think too many ruckmen take 10+ marks these days? And that's essentially the role he's still playing. The days of kicking long to the ruckmen have probably passed.

ScottH
15th June 2005, 11:54 AM
That was the point of the initial stats, to prove that goodes doesn't have a high pos/marks game. I showed that he only has had the amount of pos/marks mentioned by Hood, a few times but still won a Brownlow for his trouble.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th June 2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by giant
I could be wrong but I wouldnt think too many ruckmen take 10+ marks these days? And that's essentially the role he's still playing. The days of kicking long to the ruckmen have probably passed.

You may be right, and I don't care how clever the rules committee think themselves to be, but I do not regard the reduction in the number or the type of marks as an improvement in the game.