• Sydney vs Fremantle, 22nd May 2010 - Match Report

Another year, another RWO match report.

In hindsight, this was a bad one to pick. I try to snare Freo at home because we are usually guaranteed a win, and the Dockers give me a giggle in a "they're so inoffensive, it's hard to hate them" sort of way.

Little did I expect that I would go into this game having missed watching the last two games entirely through various circumstances - as far as I was concerned, the last time I saw a game, we were on fire and on top of the ladder! So what had happened since the Swans beat Brisbane?

After a host of injuries and an unfortunate suspension to Shane Mumford, the Swans were now limping along after two comprehensive defeats to the Cats and Bulldogs, with little respite in sight. The pregame buzz was all about Michael Johnson's drug-related suspension and Brett Kirk's mid-week announcement that he would retire at the end of the season - which team would lift on the back of all the drama?

Blustery conditions in Sydney on matchday meant that precise skills would be even more important than usual - the Swans getting off to a good start when a persistent Brett Kirk found Henry Playfair with a pass to set up the first goal of the match. The Sydney crowd was in good humour and could have been excused for thinking they were in for an enjoyable afternoon. Freo however have been excellent all season and soon took control of general play. Aaron Sandilands was proving to be too good for Sydney's emergency ruck duo of Mike Pyke and the recalled Playfair, and it was all the big Canadian could do to just provide a contest at the ruck duels.

The Sherrin found its way time and time again into the Dockers' forward 50, and it was only a lack of polish in finishing that prevented Fremantle from scoring their first goal - Kepler Bradley and Adam McPhee missing gettable set shots. It was left to Matthew Pavlich to provide a handball to Sandlilands who was able to score their first goal from point blank range.

A careless 50 metre penalty resulted in a puzzling decision for holding the ball that went against Rhyce Shaw, which resulted in another Dockers goal. At that point it was seven scoring shots to one, and looking dangerous for the home side, who were desperate to prove they were still competitive despite going down in successive weeks to strong opposition. A simple miss from the returning Daniel Bradshaw was followed by a long bomb from Pavlich, skidding through for a goal. A couple of late goals from the Swans brought the crowd to life and kept the scoreline close.

The Dockers were stung into action by the late charge by Sydney, and piled on 6 goals in the second quarter. Their deft skills and hard running were leaving the inexperienced Swans lineup searching for answers, and could only manage 2 goals, one a snap from Brett Kirk and the other a good set shot on a tough angle from Nick Smith.

Fremantle could have easily been further ahead at the halftime break, but their inaccuracy was leaving the door just ajar for the Swans. The third quarter opened with a few minutes of scrappy play before Kieran Jack snapped a timely goal, capitalising on good forward pressure applied by the Swans. Campbell Heath had the opportunity to score his first AFL goal, however his shot fell short. Neither side was able to create many scoring opportunities until Nick Malceski booted a long goal from the 50m line, just as the rain started to fall at the SCG.Paul Hasleby and Henry Playfair traded goals before a goal to Adam McPhee after the siren swung the momentum well and truly the Dockers' way.

A brilliant snap from first season player Gary Rohan had the joint rocking, but the optimism proved to be short-lived. The rain started to really bucket down, and the Swans were simply not able to provide any good delivery to their forwards. Fremantle's superior ball-skills allowed them to lock down the game and prevent the Swans from scoring, a couple of late goals closing out their first win in Sydney since 1996.

It was good to see some of the Swans' young guns in Gary Rohan, Lewis Jetta, Josh Kennedy and Dan Hannebery getting significant game-time, and the experience will hold them in good stead in the coming years. Sydney has much to look forward to for the rest of the season, with big-name players still to return - the likes of Craig Bolton, Mark Seaby.

Today's match brought me to two conclusions, one expected, the other not so. First, the Swans have a pretty good set of young kids who will be excellent AFL level players - however the team won't seriously challenge for the flag in 2010. Second, Freo actually have a very good team right now......

Sydney 3.2 5.4 8.5 9.9 (63)
    Fremantle 3.5 9.12 11.14 14.16 (100)

GOALS
    Sydney: Playfair 2, Bradshaw, Hannebery, Kirk, Smith, Jack, Malceski, Rohan
    Fremantle: Pavlich 3, Hasleby 2, McPhee 2, Bradley 2, Crowley 2 Sandilands, Mayne, Morabito

BEST
    Sydney: Malceski, Jack, Roberts-Thomson, Smith, Hannebery Playfair
    Fremantle: Hasleby, Pavlich, Bradley, Fyfe, Tarrant, Sandilands

INJURIES
    Sydney: Kennelly (knee), Bradshaw (knee)
    Fremantle: Nil

REPORTS: Nil

UMPIRES: Donlon, Avon, Jeffery

OFFICIAL CROWD: 24,819
    Comments 8 Comments
      Lucky Knickers -
      A great report of a unhappy result there Des. (any photos? )
      desredandwhite -
      Heavens above! I was flying solo at this game - wifey stayed home as she had some work to do. So I entertained the 2 year old, kept her fed and warm, hurled abuse at umpires, and took notes on my iPhone for the match report. Taking photos was not on the agenda unfortunately

Plus, our seats at the SCG are 2nd last row of the O'Reilly.. lousy spot to take footy photos. I like to be on the fence for footy photography

Thanks for the kind comments - my recollection of the game was predictably vague, which I think is understandable considering the distractions coming from the small human in the seat next to mine!
      ScottH -
      The beauty of having kids Des, is when they are older (and can write coherently) you can abuse the father power and get them to take notes for you!!

Nice recollection of the game, anyway. You'll have to choose another "certainty" team now.
      Lucky Knickers -
      Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
      hurled abuse at umpires
      Glad to see you had your priorities up straight.
      j s -
      Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
      So I entertained the 2 year old, kept her fed and warm
      What was with the yellow cap? Where was the red & white one?

She appeared very well-behaved whenever I looked you way.
      desredandwhite -
      That's her Winnie The Pooh hat. Woe betide you if you try and take it away.
      Mike_B -
      Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
      What was with the yellow cap? Where was the red & white one?

She appeared very well-behaved whenever I looked you way.
      At least it's yellow and not navy and white!!!

Good read Des, although I think you could have summarised the whole thing into one line - Swans poor, umps poorer!
      Doctor J. -
      Des, I've only just caught up with the RWO match reports. Great read mate.

"Swans poor, umps poorer". Could be the summary of most games this year.
  • #goswans Feed

• Latest RWO Threads

dejavoodoo44

Round 3: the other games.

Thread Starter: dejavoodoo44

I suspect there might be many people death riding Collingwood tonight. Just for the lols of seeing them going 0/4. Which is not quite season over, as

Last Post By: Nico Today, 10:05 PM Go to last post
    Maltopia

Alleged AFL hiding of positive drug tests

Thread Starter: Maltopia

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-drugs-bombshell-mp-tells-federal-parliament-of-secret-illicit-drug-tests-allegedly-authorised-by-leagues-top-medico/news-story/e5999f6f4d289e358d3fa0c4533c1a38

Last Post By: Mel_C Yesterday, 07:36 PM Go to last post
    goswannies

Gather Round 2024

Thread Starter: goswannies

Aside from a rather expensive breakfast, are the Swans planning any other activities to engage with supporters during Gather Round in Adelaide this year?

Last Post By: 707 27th March 2024, 10:58 AM Go to last post
    Maltopia

Rnd 3 Pre-Match Thread, vs Richmond at MCG, 4 PM Sunday 31 March 2024

Thread Starter: Maltopia

Chance to go 4-0 up when we play the Tigers who beat us last time we played them in July 2023.

They were spanked by Port so may come out

Last Post By: Trever Today, 10:02 PM Go to last post
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO