Thread: Swans look to Goodes heaven

On the Rookie List

Swans look to Goodes heaven

LIFE GOES ON

Another game like that Crows one would be handy.

No-one expects Goodes top play like that every week but instead of saying "We don't rely on people doing that" I wish he said something like "I'd like to emulate that performance in every match".

It's almost as if he was embarrassed and apologetic for getting so much of the footy at the expense of his team mates.

Is the Roos "we have no stars" mantra holding back players like Goodes from reaching their potential on a more consistent basis?
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Originally posted by hammo
    Is the Roos "we have no stars" mantra holding back players like Goodes from reaching their potential on a more consistent basis?
    I often think that, but maybe there is a Media Roosy and a Coach Roosy and he tells the players what he really thinks?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    It's almost as if he was embarrassed and apologetic for getting so much of the footy at the expense of his team mates.
    Well we lost no? Would you be all excited about a game that potentially cost us Top 2?

On the Rookie List

I wouldn't think so. It seems reasonable to build a team around the team rather than individuals. This reduces the pressure on the "stars" and ensures that the lesser lights don't become too reliant on other individual's remarkable feats.

Sydney has the culture and the talent to win games by everyone simply doing their job. If one or two "star" players have a ripping match whilst everyone else is doing their job then that's a bonus.

For the game plan to work, though, even the upper echelon of players needs to be aware that the first thing they have to do is their job. Goodes in particular has been guilty, over time, of trying to get himself in a good field position only to discover that his direct opponent is now the extra man in a positive play for the opposition.