Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Swannies, you were just too good

On the Rookie List

Congratulations Swannies, you were just too good

I've just got back to Perth after a long trip back from Melbourne (via Canberra), and by now, I've got over the sense of complete and utter loss, and I want to congratulate your team on being the winners in one of the greatest Grand Finals in recent times. Over at EaglesFlyingHigh we've been gutting ourselves by the looks of it...

It could have gone either way, and had we managed one more goal, I'd be over the moon. You guys who've had a lot longer drought to endure deserve all the opportunities to celebrate you get. If there was any team we had to lose to in a Grand Final, I'm glad it was the team that got to break the biggest drought in footy.

You played the game on your terms, and we tried hard. God I'm proud of the effort the Eagles boys put in yesterday, and to fall so close to the line is gut-wrenching. I think you'd got through three renditions of your song before I could look up from my seat. Make sure you guys celebrate enough to make up for the hurt we're all feeling in the other camp.

We'll be back in 2006, and I can only hope that next years decider is as great a game as this year's was (with one obvious change of course!)
    Blue and Gold 'til I die

Cheers mate, im very proud of you eagles supporters, man were u guys god damn LOUD as at the game. I don't know if it was just were i sitting and the resonating thru the walls or something but i definately thought you guys were a great crowd.

And too see most of you still in the stadium 10 minutes after the siren went i must say RESPECT!

Im sure you lads will be back up again next year with players like Cousins, Judd and wirripunda!

Good game and GL too next season.

edit: ive had a browse at your board and i am amazed at the honesty of your fans. Ive seen 1 guy who tryed to blame it on the umpires (and mind you of course in the game you scream bull******** too every free you get, but damn they were good! they just let the game run!) and too the guy who was blaming the umpires, you all shut him down quickly with accepting it was just a tight game, same as first finals game and the swans came out on top!

Once again you guys have impressed me very much with your loyalty and non making excuses for every loss!

well done eagles fans *takes hat off*
    Last edited by swanzotope; 26th September 2005 at 02:50 AM.
    R & W 4 Life

On the Rookie List BayesysLeftBoot's Avatar
    Definately, Much more respect and humility from the eagles than some other supporters cough *st kilda* cough. Good luck next year and beyond, I'm sure with the current crop of players, you have at least one premiership to look forward to in the coming years.

Take heart Mr Q that the Eagles still have a lot of improvement avaliable within the players, and I can see the Eagles being a premiership force for the next 4 or 5 years. You'll get your turn I'm sure.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    Cheers mate! Like the others have said as well, I was so impressed by your supporters - everyone was out to enjoy the game, and there was no malice from either side's fans from what I saw - in 96 it was a whole different story with the North fans. I got to meet some of your CS as we all waited to go out with the banners, and they were awesome! And a huge thanks to your boys - they provided a brilliant contest that will be long remembered, and were very gracious in defeat, as were many of your supporters that I saw around the place. I have no doubt you guys will provide a strong challenge again next year, and wish you all the best!

Cheers to the Eagles supporters. You were gracious in defeat and have my respect.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Be proud, Eagles fans. The Grand Final is already being hailed as one of the greats. That would not have been possible without two great sides giving their all on the day.

Your side were beaten on the day, but be sure that both sides earned a great deal of respect on that day. Already the Swans and Eagles are equal second favouries for the 2006 flag behind the Saints.

Keep the faith, the Eagles will finish in the top four next year and go deep into September again.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    I was lucky enough to see both Eagles/Swans finals games and they are amongst the two best - and unequivocally the two toughest - games of football I've ever been fortunate enough to watch.

Re: Congratulations Swannies, you were just too good

On SEN radio this morning Kevin Bartlett spoke about how the game was played with such good spirit. Particular mention was made of the Luke Ablett pass to Ben Cousins in the last quarter and that not one of the eagles players appeared to go over to Luke and give him any lip at all, not one player on the ground gave him a hard time over it. KB also said that perhaps Steven Powell from St Kilda should have a look at the game to see what good sportsmanship is all about. (He refused to shake Adam Goodes hand at the beginning of last weeks prelim final.) I would also like to comment on the West Coast supporters after the games - they were fantastic. Good luck for next year i'm sure you'll be there abouts.

Cheers

Maureen

You're a class act as always, Mr Q. Cheers mate. Your turn will come.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by cruiser
    Cheers to the Eagles supporters. You were gracious in defeat and have my respect.
    Ditto !!

We were walking past a pub near the MCG and a West Coast fan came running out to hug us and congratulate us - I thought she was having us on but she was genuinely happy for us and was glad it was a great game.
    Murphy, you are... a... elf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast