Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aker Rumours Continue With Roos Interested

i don't really want him, but id take him if he was cheap. I would not give any more than we gave up for davis.
    Adam Goodes - The great red and white hope.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Looks like this is turning into another contentiious issue and there is no need for it to be. If Akker is available and wants to come to the Swans, and a good deal can be made...let it be so. Even three, four or five years of service to us from a gun player would be of enormous benefit, not only to the prospects on the field, but in the prospect of our younger players learning from being around champion players. Get real everyone!
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Originally posted by Craig
    Akermanis has starred in a brilliant team. It is rubbish to suggest that this is because his team mates make him look good. He is one of the ones who have made Brisbane a superpower. Acker easily has the ability and potential to win another Brownlow and a couple of swans B & F's.

Maybe. But he didn't look much like it 8 days ago against Crouch, one of our 'lesser lights'. Of course, he publicly stated afterwards that he was suffering from a 'virus' of some sort. Which is why his coach then moved him to an 18 yr old playing his 7th game, and was still made to look slow and uninterested IMO.

I'm firmly in the grown-your-own premiership team camp on this one. A solid group of young players developing and arriving at the same time is a strong common denominator amongst the flag winners.

Reggie's Big Names to Sydney post is a classic, and I can't see how anyone can argue with that list and what it implies. Top-up recruiting has gotten us nowhere in 70 years of trying. But maybe we've got such a long history of it that we automatically court the big out-of-contract names.

Footyhead makes a good point about upsetting the team psyche -- which a loudmouth like Akka could do. I suspect that he could very easily get carried away with Sydney's publicity machine, fall in with some of Lewie's 'beautiful people' and lose his focus. We've got a good captain, a young, dedicated leadership group and we really don't need anyone to do any grandstanding (or handstanding) right now.

Also, if we recuited someone like Akka now, then he's taking a spot on the field that a long-term prospect (like McVeigh) could be filling and denying them essential senior experience. And besides that, which of the current regular seniors would you leave out to include Akka? I'd be interested to see which players think Akka could replace, and why.

After all the promise the youngsters have shown so far, to recruit a 27 yr-old with nothing to prove would be counter-productive. In the case of Akermanis, if he really want's to play for Sydney, let him join the Waratahs instead.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Originally posted by Red

After all the promise the youngsters have shown so far, to recruit a 27 yr-old with nothing to prove would be counter-productive. In the case of Akermanis, if he really want's to play for Sydney, let him join the Waratahs instead.
    Nodding, clapping and other general expressions of approval
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123