Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aker Rumours Continue With Roos Interested

Aker Rumours Continue With Roos Interested

Back page of the Daily Telegraph, Akermanis "Sydney Bound" Interesting that Roos will even put our youth policy on hold and trade draft picks if necessary to get him should he become available. Personally, I think Aker would be fantastic for the Swans.

Aker won't deny Swans move
    By Tim Morrissey and Gary Smart
    17may03
    SPECULATION that flamboyant Jason Akermanis could be heading to Sydney is gaining momentum with the Brisbane Lions star refusing to deny he will be with the Swans in 2004.

During Thursday night's AFL The Footy Show on Channel 9, the 2001 Brownlow medallist stonewalled every attempt by panellist Sam Newman to get him to confirm or deny the hottest rumour in the AFL.

Yesterday, Akermanis, who comes off contract at the end of the season, again would not discuss suggestions he might become a Swan in 2004.

"I have no comment on that," he said. "All I am thinking about right now is going out and getting a kick and playing some good footy [against Adelaide]. That's the bottom line, that's what I do."

Swans coach Paul Roos, before the team's final hit-out going into tomorrow's Geelong game at the SCG yesterday, said the club had not made any approaches to Akermanis or his management.

But Roos made it clear that if the star midfielder was on the market, Sydney would be interested. Roos even indicated he might put his youth policy on hold for a year and trade draft picks to go for a player of Akermanis's stature if this year's new recruits proved better than expected.

"If you think two or three of them are better than you thought you might go for a 25-year-old," Roos said.

Akermanis admitted that Lions coach Leigh Matthews and club management had indicated they wanted to talk about next season but, he said, they would not say when.

Brisbane chief executive Michael Bowers said yesterday club policy was not to discuss player contract negotiations but said the issue was complicated by the fact the AFL had yet to set a total player payment figure for next year.

"In the right time and right manner we talk to all of our players who are uncontracted," he said.

"We are in a difficult situation, as is every AFL club, in that we don't know what the total player payment is for next year. When you have a good list of players who might be going up in value and you don't even know what the cap is, it makes life doubly difficult."

On The Footy Show, panellist Newman tried to catch Akermanis, who was being interview live from Brisbane via satellite, off guard by asking him if he would continue using the controversial performance enhancing respiratory machines or hypoxic device in Sydney next season.

Akermanis skirted around the question, forcing host Eddie McGuire to chime in: "I think [Newman] was intimating that you might be playing in Sydney next year Jason."

Akermanis quickly responded: "Yeah, yeah, I know what he said."

McGuire then moved on to the teams named for round eight before Newman had one last go at Akermanis to try to drag out a confirm or deny.

"Are you going to Sydney? And you know what you're doing by not answering," fired off Newman.

But Akermanis quickly ended the interview, saying: "Right guys, thanks for the interview, it was nice chatting."

The Akermanis rumours remain a side issue for the barnstorming Swans, who are looking for their fourth straight win -- against bottom-placed Geelong.

But being seen as the underdogs at the start of the season, the Swans go into the Geelong game favourites for the first time since beating Carlton in the opening round.

Swans defender Jason Saddington doesn't believe the team has got too carried away after beating Melbourne, Collingwood and Brisbane to be in sixth spot.

"I think we have just treated [beating Collingwood and Brisbane] like any other win," Saddington said.

"Geelong, even though they're sitting on the bottom of the ladder, have been playing pretty well."

Re: Aker Rumours Continue With Roos Interested

Originally posted by Beaussie

Swans coach Paul Roos, before the team's final hit-out going into tomorrow's Geelong game at the SCG yesterday, said the club had not made any approaches to Akermanis or his management.

But Roos made it clear that if the star midfielder was on the market, Sydney would be interested. Roos even indicated he might put his youth policy on hold for a year and trade draft picks to go for a player of Akermanis's stature if this year's new recruits proved better than expected.

"If you think two or three of them are better than you thought you might go for a 25-year-old," Roos said.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrggggggggggggggggh

Nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material
    Yeah,
    I mean I love aka dakka, but I think this is really dandgerous.

I reckon it's too early to call.

You have to weigh it all up at the end of the year:

a) Does he want to move?
    b) Will the cost be reasonable wrt salary?
    c) likewise in terms of trades?
    d) Would he fit into the team structure?

If you can answer "yes" to all questions at the end of the season, then go for it. I have no problems with trades as long as it's a positive move to strengthen the team, well balanced between short term success, as well as setting up for the long term.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

On the Rookie List
    If Akermanis was to be traded at the end of the year to us, I reckon it would be great. He is an absolute champion, has another 6 or 7 years left in him, is a cult figure and actually seems to want to play for our club.

No one here can seriously question his football ability. The bloke is a genious and would be in the top 10 players of the competition.

Recruiting him is a far cry from what we have done in the past. He is a superstar, he is still relatively young and he has the potential to win another Brownlowe (Russell, Tingay, Alison and co hardly fitted into any of these categorys).

Not to many people would call our recruiting of Paul Williams a mistake. It has been one of the best recruiting moves we have made over the past decade. Akermanis will be just as good, if not better that Williams, plus he is a lot younger than when Williams came to the club.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Craig
    Akermanis will be just as good, if not better that Williams, plus he is a lot younger than when Williams came to the club.
    Actually, if Aker did come at the end of this season he's only be a year younger than Willo was when he joined us. He'd also have to play exceptionally well to even match what Williams has done for us since he joined. Williams may not have had a Brownlow to his name but his play in the R&W has been outstanding. Also worth noting that Akermanis has starred while playing in a great team, while Williams has played his career in struggling or mediocre teams. I know its harder to shine when you've got lots of other good players in the team, but I think its also easier to play great footy because you can have confidence that your team mates will win the ball and deliver it to you well.

Senior Player
    its a big media beat up at the moment as they dont have anything to major (as far as rumours go) to write about... its funny how they paraphrased what roosy had to say about his interests rather than directly quoting him, i think thats a bit dodge...

im in two minds atm, leaning towards us goin after aker

Sorry Craig some of the things you have said are way off

Today Jason Akermanis has played around 170 AFL games and is 26. By the time he gets to Sydney he will be 27, seeing as most AFL players (the very good ones) play to around 32 he has at most 5 years. Most top AFL players also only play 220 - 250 games. We will be getting a player at the time in their career when they are most prone to injury. Most likely Sydney will get around 60 games out of him.

Most likely his best football will be behind him.

Why don't we ever learn that doing this never works?

I am willing to gurantee though that if Roos recruits Akermanis - Akermanis's career in Sydney will be longer that Roos.

Should never say no for the sake of saying no.

At least look at the proposition at the right time.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

What is the problem with us considering Akermanis?

I reckon he could have 5 years left in him and gives us close to 100 games. Think of some other champion players who delivered for us late in their careers and were extremely valuable - Lockett, Roos, Williams.

Akermanis could be the difference between a premiership or not for us in the next 3 years. AFL players are at their peak from 26-30 and that's when he would be playing for us.

If a reasonable deal can be done I cannot see why you wouldn't consider it.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by NMWBloods

Akermanis could be the difference between a premiership or not for us in the next 3 years.
    1 Exactly how likely is this?

2 Who has done this successfully before?

3 It is this theory that has ensured Sydney is mediocre for the past 20 years?

4 Why would you do it when you have proven over the previous 20 years that that method doesn't work?

Wasn't one of Roos' strategic goals to put us in a realistic shot at a premiership in the next 3-5 years?

One experience player can make a difference - such as Jarman at Adelaide or Williams at Carlton.

This is not necessarily the reason for Swans' mediocrity for the past couple of decades. Much of it was because we did not have a solid core of young players. Now we do.

A couple of times in the past couple of decades we probably were only a player or two away from being a real shot.

What are you on about when you say "you have proven"?
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast