Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Captaincy - 2006 and beyond

I'm in favour of a 1 captain policy. Kirk would be my choice with Baz for VC.

On the Rookie List possumfeatures's Avatar
    I love them both and to choose between them is really tough. Kirky obviously knows what to say to the team and when to say it and his personal courage is unbelievable and inspiring. But there is something to be said for having a captain that can take the big mark or kick the big goal at defining moments in games. Kirky can do this, but I think Barry is more likely to be able to do it more often.

For all of the above reasons, I favour the idea of co- captains, meaning that we would have every aspect of leadership well and truly covered.
    oh well, maybe next time......

Regular in the Side
    If it was my choice Kirk for captain...I think he has more ability than Barry Hall to influence a game when the opposition has the ball and/or momentum

I remember the Swans saying once that they wanted a 10 year captain a la Kelly. This would be Goodes or Jude Bolton

Tadhg's talk of going home, and his absence from the leadership group make him an unlikely choice, but I also think he would make a good captain.....this year make him a member of the leadership group and vice captain...dangle him the potential to be captain after Kirk

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I waver on this frequently.

The rotating captaincy seems to have helped spread the responsibility for performance across a whole group of people. If one guys down - the rest can step up. Every player goes through form slumps and maybe sharing the responsibility helps take the pressure off individuals.

Rotating captaincy also might mean there is a leadership group on the field at all times - with our interchanges - this may not always be the case if we had a single captain.

Something I won't forget is Baz running back to the huddle after the coin toss - the looks on the boys faces teams faces as they waited for him to join them......when I watch this on the replay I realise that if I had seen this on the day from my seat I would have had no doubt that we would win (or maybe not as many....)

I think Kirky is a champion and continually sets a great example but I can't see him running over to Goldspink with a commanding presence asking about the free-kick count.

If it's a choice between Hall and Kirk - I'd vote for Hall.

However, I think Goodesy/Jude would be good - if we are going with a single Captain lets pick one who will be around for a while and have the opportunity to build a Kel-like legacy!

Good job it's not me making the decision!

Kirk then daylight. Kirk was the one who rallied the troops even when not captain. He is on the ball and has a greater idea of how the whole game is going. Hall is a great player but this does not necessarily translate into captaincy. Leave the captain pressure off him and he will probably benefit in the long run.
    SYDNEY SWANS.....THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN LIVING MEMORY.

There are two roles for captain - public face of the team and on-field leader.

BBBH is clearly the favourite for public face of the team, while Kirk the happy Bhuddist is much more in the rev them up when the chips are down out in the middle mold.

So my feeling is they will name Baz as captain for the media/coin-toss routine but will continue with the "leadership group" concept and Kirk will continue to play a starring role in the dressing rooms and in the quarter/3 quarter time huddles.

My Choice is a clear KIRK, for two clear reasons:

1. The rallying the troops thing, i believe we wouldn't have gotten past that game had it not been for that.

and

2. Bazza, in my opinion threw away the captaincy when the threw his right fist at Matt McGuire's guts, silly, undiciplined act for a captain in a preliminary final.
    "Red and White for blood cells, Red and White for wine."
    "They could be the whole damn spectrum, if you just damn let them"

Kirk.

Maintain the leadership group.

Originally posted by Slick Swans
    2. Bazza, in my opinion threw away the captaincy when the threw his right fist at Matt McGuire's guts, silly, undiciplined act for a captain in a preliminary final.
    Pfft.

I would like to see Kirk as captain, though I am quite happy to accept any of the leadership group. Well, those without the last name Matthews.

I thought they all did well this season, albeit some were more noticible than others. IIRC, the commentators were rabbiting on about Kirk being the captain in the final H&A match, but wasn't Leo?

I think Kirk, whether official caller of the coin toss or not, will still be in charge of rallying the troops. Position filled.

I trust Roosy with my life. Well, not really. Just with my team.
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

On the Rookie List
    LRT ...*akward silence*
    2004 - SUBIACO
    2005 - SYDNEY
    2006 - SUBIACO
    2007 - ?????

* Perth Glory till i die *

Already said it previously

3 Captains Back, Forward and Centre

Leo Barry