Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5th spot firming

On the Rookie List
    We need Adelaide to win so we can grab a top-4 spot (can't see Freo losing at home to Port). But if the Crows do win their reward would be a likely QF v the Swans (as Crows would then finish first if Eagles lose to Richmond).

So maybe the Crows will tank, to engineer a preferable QF v the finals-fragile Freo?

Originally posted by fartyspice
    We need Adelaide to win so we can grab a top-4 spot (can't see Freo losing at home to Port). But if the Crows do win their reward would be a likely QF v the Swans (as Crows would then finish first if Eagles lose to Richmond).

So maybe the Crows will tank, to engineer a preferable QF v the finals-fragile Freo?
    Agree that Fremantle are un-tried in finals, but if you asked any coach (and especially a slow injury hit Adelaide) who they would least prefer to play it would be Freo at present.

In previous years I would have laughed and said that a brian implosion was just around the corner, but the team orientated game they are playing at present mixed with their pace and skill will be very hard to beat finals time.

The way things are opeing up with Adelaide dropping off and West Coast still with doubts over them in Melbourne, Freo could actaully win the thing playing the footy they are at present.

DST

"Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Re: 5th spot firming

Originally posted by Bas
    Just reported that Andrew McLeod has probably played his last game this year as his foot has become infected again.

Lets hope they muster everything to get past Melbourne on Saturday. Their challenger in the first week of the finals looks a certainty for prelim final.
    Still reckon Adelaide have the team to beat Melbourne at AAMI.

They have Welsch, Perrie and McGreggor up forward. Goodwin & Edwards in the middle and a very solid backline still with Rutten, Bassett and Johncock.

Might not be playing to their best at present but they are still very good at home, Only lost to a red hot Fremantle and with a showdown v Port it is always a 50/50 game.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

I have basically concended the top 4 now, hearing of Adelaide's injuries and we will need to do it the hard way.

We can win it from 5th position, just hope the lads will respond accordingly.
    Swannies for life!

Originally posted by fartyspice
    Finals sides don't tank at this time of the year.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by iigrover
    ...and the worst thing is: I just cant bring myself to barrack for Power win against Fremantle. The idea of wanting Power to win just makes me feel dirty!
    It may be the only time ever that I will want Port to win.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by DST
    Agree that Fremantle are un-tried in finals, but if you asked any coach (and especially a slow injury hit Adelaide) who they would least prefer to play it would be Freo at present.

In previous years I would have laughed and said that a brian implosion was just around the corner, but the team orientated game they are playing at present mixed with their pace and skill will be very hard to beat finals time.

The way things are opeing up with Adelaide dropping off and West Coast still with doubts over them in Melbourne, Freo could actaully win the thing playing the footy they are at present.

DST

If we don't win it this year, Fremantle winning a premiership is not the worst thing that can happen. Freo aren't the Eagles, or Power, or Crows, or Saints, or Collingwood, or Essendon, or Carlton ...
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

On the veteran's list
    If we beat the bullies in week 1 then we are in the same position as last year except that we won't play at home, which is no great advantage this year and except for a freak effort from "Brownlows" Davis would have seen us lose there last year.

I don't think Adelaide can beat Melb. Maybe our best chance is a last-game-before-mad-Monday effort from Port against a Freo side which might be a touch happy with themselves after last week. 7 in a row is closing in on a loss. (OK, I admit it, I'm clasping at straws - Freo won't take a game which means 3rd or seventh lightly.)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    If we don't win it this year, Fremantle winning a premiership is not the worst thing that can happen. Freo aren't the Eagles, or Power, or Crows, or Saints, or Collingwood, or Essendon, or Carlton ...
    You also forgot the feral Tigers...
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    If we don't win it this year, Fremantle winning a premiership is not the worst thing that can happen.
    Lucky we won last year, otherwise a Freo win this would have been very embarrassing!

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by The Big Cat
    If we beat the bullies in week 1 then we are in the same position as last year except that we won't play at home, which is no great advantage this year and except for a freak effort from "Brownlows" Davis would have seen us lose there last year.
    The big difference, as barry has pointed out a number of times, is the travel factor in terms of tiring the team out.

On the veteran's list
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    The big difference, as barry has pointed out a number of times, is the travel factor in terms of tiring the team out.
    Yeah, but last year we went to Perth after having our last game against hawthorn in Melbourne. If we finish 5th then we'll stay in Sydney for the last H&A game plus our first final. But you're right, we would then have to travel 3 weeks in a row if we made the granny.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast