Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plugger's Record

Originally posted by humphrey bear
    It will get broken for sure.

They said Pratt's record would never be broken and it was.
    If you mean Pratts 150 goals ina season record, it has never been broken, it was equalled by Peter Hudson. However, it is interesting to note that it took (I think) 24 games for Hudson, but only 17 for Pratt. Having said that, to kick 150 goals in a season no matter how many games is still remarkable.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Originally posted by goswannie14
    If you mean Pratts 150 goals ina season record, it has never been broken, it was equalled by Peter Hudson. However, it is interesting to note that it took (I think) 24 games for Hudson, but only 17 for Pratt. Having said that, to kick 150 goals in a season no matter how many games is still remarkable.
    Given a full season, Plugger would've smashed that record in '91. He kicked 127 goals in 17 games.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Re: Plugger's Record

Originally posted by Annie Haddad
    Standing at 1360 goals, do you think his record will ever get broken?
    Depends what you mean by 'his record'. If you mean 'most goals in the history of the VFL or AFL competitions', then, like all records it will probably eventually go, but could be expected to last between 20 years and a century; barring changes to the style of the game that take it further away from the realm of the individual goalscorer (which could happen).

If you mean 'most prolific goalscorer in the history of the game (at the top level)', then it already has been (from considerably fewer games than Plugger played).

Re: Re: Plugger's Record

Originally posted by SimonH
    Depends what you mean by 'his record'. If you mean 'most goals in the history of the VFL or AFL competitions', then, like all records it will probably eventually go, but could be expected to last between 20 years and a century; barring changes to the style of the game that take it further away from the realm of the individual goalscorer (which could happen).

If you mean 'most prolific goalscorer in the history of the game (at the top level)', then it already has been (from considerably fewer games than Plugger played).
    I mean the 1360 kicks that Tony Lockett kicked in this career.
    That record.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Re: Re: Re: Plugger's Record

I mean the 1360 kicks that Tony Lockett kicked in this career.
    That record.
    My point being that, contrary to what most people believe, that 1360 is not the record for the most career goals ever kicked by an Australian rules player.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plugger's Record

My point being that, contrary to what most people believe, that 1360 is not the record for the most career goals ever kicked by an Australian rules player.
    Pluggers record is for the AFL/VFL, no-one here suggested otherwise. I am also sure that there are players in other lesser leagues that have kicked more goals in their careers. To challenge AFL/VFL records with records from other leagues seems a bit pointless.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Plugger's Record

Plugger did it at the highest level though. The VFL was widely regarded as the superior competition.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Originally posted by Plugger46
    Plugger did it at the highest level though. The VFL was widely regarded as the superior competition.
    See here at post 6 for an explanation of why the argument, "the VFL was generally superior, therefore only VFL achievements were 'at the highest level'" is invalid. Just one of a range of possible analogies is used: to say that the SA cricket team has not played at the same standard as the NSW cricket team for most of its existence, is borne out by the results. To say that the SA cricket team has not played at the same level as the NSW cricket team (or that Adelaide grade cricket is not the same level of cricket as Sydney grade cricket) is absurd.

The huge number of VFL/SANFL (and VFL/WAFL) inter-comp matches played over the decades, and the enormous interest they generated, is testament to the fact that the 3 comps clearly occupied the same level, as the leading footy comp in each state (where Aussie rules was the principal winter sport). If they were pointless walkovers, public interest would have waned and the matches would simply have stopped. As, indeed, happened when they were overtaken by inter-club events in the 1990s.

To raise some other queries that arise from that strange (but widespread) rewriting of history:
    1. The VFL did not establish a clear superiority (in terms of starting to win the lion's share of inter-club and inter-comp matches) until the 1930s. Does this mean that SANFL and WAFL achievements should be recognised as 'the highest level' until some arbitrary date around then, but not after?
    2. Should we continue the strange pretence that no football was played at the highest level at all until 1897, just as the result of a split within one particular colony's chief competition? After the early 1880s, you'll find little support in the results for the theory that VFA football was clearly at a higher level than the chief SA and WA comps.
    3. In those years where the VFL was demonstrably not the superior competition, because its champion team was beaten by the SA champion team (e.g. 1907, 1914, 1972) or it lost the intercomp representative match or round-robin (e.g. 1901, 1923, 1965), should the 'top level' records for that year be recorded as the SA comp records only, and the VFL records stricken from the books?

It is historical nonsense to suggest that Australia has had only one 'top level' footy comp for most of the game's existence. No-one, apart from an excessively enthusiastic Victorian picking a pub fight, would have advanced such a proposition in 1981. That it's widely believed now is just the result of rewriting history, as a consequence of the origin of the current undisputed leading comp.
    Originally posted by goswannie14
    Pluggers record is for the AFL/VFL, no-one here suggested otherwise. I am also sure that there are players in other lesser leagues that have kicked more goals in their careers. To challenge AFL/VFL records with records from other leagues seems a bit pointless.
    See, for example, here. Note 'the game's greatest goalscorer', not 'the competition's greatest goalscorer' or 'the greatest goalscorer in the history of the current competition and its Victorian predecessor'. Ask most people with a middling interest in the game, 'Who is the greatest goalscorer of all time?', and you'll get only one answer. Accuracy is sacrificed for brevity and convenience, with the result that around 50% of the history of our great game pre-1990 is ignored or consigned to a footnote.

This is no dry theoretical argument. To say that Ken Farmer was a player who should be regarded as an inferior to Plugger (bearing in mind the inherent difficulties in comparing players from totally different eras), looking at the two players' careers in context, just doesn't hold water.

But apart from that, I'm pretty laid-back about the whole thing!

sniparoosie ...

Whew ... glad to hear that you're so laid back about it. god help us if you feel passionately about something, eh??

Good on Kenny ... a legend of the SAFL. Maybe Plugger should step down from the hall of fame and give his position to Kenny. I'll ring him and ask him how he feels about it.

I must point out though (once more), that the thread is called "Plugger's Record", and the question was "Standing at 1360 goals, do you think HIS record will ever get broken?"

As you so eloquently pointed out, ask anyone who the leading goalkicker is in AFL and you're only going to get one answer.

There's only one Tony Lockett.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

This is no dry theoretical argument. To say that Ken Farmer was a player who should be regarded as an inferior to Plugger (bearing in mind the inherent difficulties in comparing players from totally different eras), looking at the two players' careers in context, just doesn't hold water.

You present some very valid points Simon and I totally agree with you (even though you are a Sturt supporter )

Good on Kenny ... a legend of the SAFL. Maybe Plugger should step down from the hall of fame and give his position to Kenny. I'll ring him and ask him how he feels about it.
    Happy to agree with you that Plugger holds a record; I just contributed to clarify what the meaning of the phrase "his record" was.

As for the above gibe: um, Ken Farmer is in the Australian football hall of fame (y'know, the one owned and operated by the AFL). Has been since 1998. Better to quit while you're behind, hey?

[B] .... To say that the SA cricket team has not played at the same level as the NSW cricket team (or that Adelaide grade cricket is not the same level of cricket as Sydney grade cricket) is absurd.
    But Adelaide Grade cricket isn't at the same level as Sydney....
    Last edited by Bloody Hell; 15th January 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast