Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leadership group dropped Crouch - picked team V Port

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Perhaps the opposite is true.

Could we have won two flags in a row through playing more players through 2006 such that we werent reliant on some injured players come GF time.

Could we be 4-4 and have given a lot more game time to all these fringe players who dominated week in week out in the 2's instead of playing Mcveigh, Crouch and a few others.
    The critical word is "perhaps". There simply is no proof that any other system would have worked better.

Here's an article on AFL website, the last few sentences indicates that last week was different but not to a large degree from the previous four years.

http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007...x?newsId=43831

Perhaps the opposite is true.

Could we have won two flags in a row through playing more players through 2006 such that we werent reliant on some injured players come GF time.

Could we be 4-4 and have given a lot more game time to all these fringe players who dominated week in week out in the 2's instead of playing Mcveigh, Crouch and a few others.

we could be 0-8 if we did that, the club has had methods in place that have been working and you dont need to keep changing them every time you lose a game.
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by originalswan View Post
    The critical word is "perhaps". There simply is no proof that any other system would have worked better.

Here's an article on AFL website, the last few sentences indicates that last week was different but not to a large degree from the previous four years.
    I think a lot of people are excusing being 9th after 8 rounds because they believe (or hope) that form will improve just like it did the last 2 years. But there is 100 years of previous history which hasnt acheived a 2nd half of the season turnaround.

To the other poster. There is plenty of proof that Moore or Schmidt could have permanently replaced McVeigh because their stats are almost identical.
    So to say we'd be 0-8 is certainly the pesermist speaking. Perhaps with some players who have half decent kicks we could have easily beaten WC and Adelaide. and be 6-2 with an awesome future ahead of us.

Anyone happy with just one flag out of this era is starting to piss me off.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 23rd May 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: no need to avoid the swear filter..it's not in there.

[QUOTE=barry;308723]

To the other poster. There is plenty of proof that Moore or Schmidt could have permanently replaced McVeigh because their stats are almost identical.

Moore, Schmidt, Tommy from down the street....anybody !!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    I've had my say on McVeigh's current form in recent weeks, but to suggest that stats prove that Moore or Schmidt could have permanently replaced McVeigh is a bit daft. Schmidt and McVeigh are completely different shapes, have different physical and footballing attributes and play different positions within the midfield. There is no way known that Schmidt could have shut down Pearce the way McVeigh did, for example.

And pure stats can never prove anything on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've had my say on McVeigh's current form in recent weeks, but to suggest that stats prove that Moore or Schmidt could have permanently replaced McVeigh is a bit daft. Schmidt and McVeigh are completely different shapes, have different physical and footballing attributes and play different positions within the midfield. There is no way known that Schmidt could have shut down Pearce the way McVeigh did, for example.

And pure stats can never prove anything on their own.
    I hope you have the stats to back that up!!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've had my say on McVeigh's current form in recent weeks, but to suggest that stats prove that Moore or Schmidt could have permanently replaced McVeigh is a bit daft. Schmidt and McVeigh are completely different shapes, have different physical and footballing attributes and play different positions within the midfield.
    Correct. McVeigh has a body shape not suited to AFL footy. He is too light, gets bumped off the ball and jumps around like a jack rabbit. His kicking is woeful, and I cant remember the last time I saw him take an overhead mark.

There is no way known that Schmidt could have shut down Pearce the way McVeigh did, for example.
    Peace wasnt 100% fit, so I cant see how you can back that statement up.
    Anyway, Schmidt/Moore dont have to play as taggers. How about some offense ?

Correct. McVeigh has a body shape not suited to AFL footy. He is too light, gets bumped off the ball and jumps around like a jack rabbit. His kicking is woeful, and I cant remember the last time I saw him take an overhead mark.
    lol so true

Anyway, Schmidt/Moore dont have to play as taggers. How about some offense ?
    Yep - we have enough taggers. We need some ball winners and users.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Yep - we have enough taggers. We need some ball winners and users.
    Mcveigh's scintallating pass to Davis in Q2 suggests with some confidence he could be one - he just looks a long way from it atm.

So to say we'd be 0-8 is certainly the pesermist speaking. Perhaps with some players who have half decent kicks we could have easily beaten WC and Adelaide. and be 6-2 with an awesome future ahead of us.

Anyone happy with just one flag out of this era is starting to piss me off.

i was saying thats what could happen. We can look back and say drop these guys move this guy here, but who says it would of made us better off. Its all good and well to complain and say players should be dropped and replaced, but its a step up to seniors and too many newbies in and your putting the pressure on them. I wasnt saying im happy with one flag and we couldnt win if we change the team, just all the changes u go on about wouldnt mean we would be any better off anyway.
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Mcveigh's scintallating pass to Davis in Q2 suggests with some confidence he could be one - he just looks a long way from it atm.
    Yep - I said last year that McVeigh had some nice skills and we saw some examples of that when he played more as a permanent forward. I don't think we get much value from him at all as a tagger. He should be playing more in the Fosdike role (wide outside midfielder).
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast