Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next two games to decide our top 4 prospects

Given Collingwood's injury crisis at the back, Hall and MOL will have no better chance to play themselves back into form.

Collingwood should be a win. Geelong at Skilled on current form shapes as nigh on impossible (expecially after our effort there last year). But in saying we'll be primed to knock off another top side and the Cats are due to have an off-game. Also (and this is either a positive or negative depending on the team) when we play the Cats it will be their first game in 2 weeks. Perhaps their intensity won't be at the level required to play a team such as Sydney.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    We've just been lucky.
    The evenness (sp?) of the competition has certainly been beneficial for us, as it has been for us at least part of the time in recent years.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veterans List
    Let's hope our season doesn't depend on beating Cats at Skilled Stadium. And I doubt it will.

What odds Bucks making a surprise comback for this game? It was this game a couple of years back that he returned from his last long term hammy strain & I've a suspicion that may roll the dice on him again this time.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Perhaps it's the evil genius in me, but the thought of Collingwood losing ten games consecutively is somewhat arousing to me... Here's hoping the Swans can assist with that dream...

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Also (and this is either a positive or negative depending on the team) when we play the Cats it will be their first game in 2 weeks. Perhaps their intensity won't be at the level required to play a team such as Sydney.
    Or perhaps, after strolling past Brisbane and 2 weeks off....they'll be fresher
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

We are going to be getting Geelong just at the right point in time.

They will be satisfied where they are on the ladder and coming back from a week off I reckon they will be cherry ripe for the picking if the Swans come with their A grade game.

Agree with other posters as well, split the next two and we will be right on the pace for top 4 along as we consolidate against Fremantle and Carlton at home in the coming weeks.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

I hope the Swans don't also make the mistake of assuming Geelong are primed for a fall.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I hope the Swans don't also make the mistake of assuming Geelong are primed for a fall.
    Geelong have a staggering history of going to sleep at the wheel.

Going into the break on top of the ladder and week off content with themselves, smells of real danger for them.

I have mad keen Cats fan at work who is convinced that they will lose the week after the break and when I pointed out it was the Swans was even more convinced that it was on the cards.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I doubt they will. Usually they lift for the "unwinnable" games.

And even if they can't beat the Cats, it won't be a disaster. Most of us would look at the remaining fixtures and pencil in this game and the Subi game as very tough but the rest as definitely winnable. That's not to say all the rest will be wins but none looks too big a task for a genuine contender.

One of the positives so far is that we've scrapped to the current position with our two best players being pretty scratchy. Even if they don't improve, the rest of the team is doing well enough to get us into the finals. But even a modicum of form turnaround from those two and a top 4 spot is definitely within reach. If we'd got where we are now largely on the back of dominance from Hall and Goodes, I'd feel less optimistic.

An awful lot, though, is riding on Spida not getting injured and being able to maintain his current level of performance. He's the reason why we're equivalently placed to the last couple of years despite Hall and Goodes not really firing.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Geelong have a staggering history of going to sleep at the wheel.

Going into the break on top of the ladder and week off content with themselves, smells of real danger for them.
    Maybe, but the 2004-05 Geelong was reasonably steady and they look a lot like that.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Or perhaps, after strolling past Brisbane and 2 weeks off....they'll be fresher

I remember back in 2005, after just a week of playing, (and winning), a really tough game at Telstra Stadium against Collingwood, we encountered a much fresher Richmond who had had two weeks off, after holidaying in North Queensland. The first three quarters were embarrassing, and we ended off losing the game by a point.

Also, going back to 2004, we played lowly Carlton the week after another tough Pies/ Telstra Stadium game. They also had had two weeks off, were much fresher for the first 3 1/2 quarters, and almost beat us.

The one positive of the two above games was that we dominated the final quarter, just as we did against St Kilda in the 2005 Preliminary Final, and what Brisbane did to us in the 2003 Preliminary Final.

In all four games the team playing back to back weekend games, (compared with the team having a week off), were much stronger in that fourth and last quarter. So if we are three goals or less behind Geelong at three-quarter time, we have a real chance.

We'll beat Collingwood for sure. They're not as good as they think they are. Hard to see us winning at kardinia Park though. How long since we won there? Even when Geelong aren't going well they seem to play well at home.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast