Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pencil In 8th Spot After This Week...

Originally posted by Frosty_13
    Look i would love to say that we can go deep into september but i just dont think we can. We play Brisbane at the GABBA, Collingwood at home and The Dees at the G. I dont think we can win at the Gabba, it will be a tough ask to beat collingwood with the form we are in and its a danger game at the G with the dees unpredictable. If we win 1 of these gam,es it will put us 6th or 7th and may have to play a melbourne side at the G. The loss Hawthorn was very important to our finals chance's and finishing in the top 4.
    It could also go the other way, and we could win the last 3 and make the top 4 easily. We could also beat Collingwood and Melbourne and still finish in the top 4, I think that is quite realistic.

The game against Melbourne, is a formality, not a danger game.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Originally posted by Plugger46
    The game against Melbourne, is a formality, not a danger game.
    When will people learn? Until the Swans develop a killer instinct, comments like these are just gonna lead to disappointment.

Remember such great comments about Carey being a waste of space (on the field), and playing all of the Hawks' 3 talls will help the Swans.

SXP
    Originally posted by sharpie
    When will people learn? Until the Swans develop a killer instinct, comments like these are just gonna lead to disappointment.
    It has to do with that positive thinking that everybody is talking about even if it's against a better judgment.

Positive thinking hasnt helped the Swans win a premiership in 70 years. Every time the Swans have built themselves up, ever since 1997, they have come crashing back to earth. In 1996 and now this year, success has come through lack of expectation.

Prior to the mid 90's the comp was completely different. The swans being poor and badly run, probably had only a 1/70 chance of winning a flag in those times. I can understand where this pesimissism has come from.

But now, the AFL has basically got the comp equalised as much as is possible. We go in every year with a 1/16 chance of winning, or in other words, should win a flag every 16 years, make a grand final every 8 years, and just make the finals every 2. Since the mid 90's we are pretty much on track to this.
    And its exactly the same for Carlton, Collingwood, WC or Port or anyone else.

What I'm saying is, we are in a completely new generation of football where the odds of success are greatly enhanced for a team like the swans, and supporters expections should reflect this.

So if the swans dont win a flag before 2010, I'll be very disappointed, and we all should be.

In theory that is fine, but there are many variables to a team's odds of success. I would put a good coach and recruiting team at the top of the list and with Paul Roos I am confident the Swans are in good shape.

In the next few years St Kilda should start to rise to the top as you'd expect because of the good talent they've been able to pick up in the draft.

Because the Swans have consistently been making finals since 96 we have missed out on the best young talent - I hope this (and our resitstence to freshen up an aging list in the late 90's) won't continue to punish us.

To that point, it makes smart trading even more vital this time around - the more 1st round draft picks we can get the better, even if it means offloading some middle of the road players like Fosdike and Saddington, because they are not the types of players who will win premierships.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    It's all a nonsense. When I suggested the Hawks game was a danger one...I was told by certain other onliners that we'd win easily. We shd have won on paper sure (even the bookies had us something in the order of 3 1/2 to 1 against), but we didn't win!!! It'll be one of those conundrums to ponder for eternity....with all the other "important" games we've inexpliccably crashed in.
    I still think that if we can snag either Brizzie (difficult but possible) or Pies (a good chance, especially after they get kicked in the teeth again by adelaide) and a win against Melbourne (surely!!!) fifth spot and a home final (????) against Freo is a distinct possibility!!! I guess we won't know till the end of rd 22 for sure. A win against all three would be better, of course...but may give us a more daunting ask in the first week of the finals...
    I am extremely positive about this year's team; I believe they have been fan-bloody-tastic...but that doesn't mean I view everything through rose-coloured glasses. Nor does it mean that I don't think they have the ability to go even further...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Originally posted by swan_song
    It's all a nonsense. When I suggested the Hawks game was a danger one...I was told by certain other onliners that we'd win easily. We shd have won on paper sure (even the bookies had us something in the order of 3 1/2 to 1 against), but we didn't win!!!
    Mate, even super teams have upsets against them sometimes. brisbane was beaten by Melbourne at home last year. Essendon lost to the dogs a couple of years ago when they were untouchable.

This Hawthorn loss, is about the only upset thats gone against us all year.

There is a theory that the brilliant and quite unusual weather during the 2000 Olympics was due to the enormous positive vibes from people who wanted these to be a success. There are numerous dissertations on the power of positive thought. Try believing you'll get a parking spot and visualising it ... has a massive impact on the success rate.

Personally, I am doing my damnest to send my confident vibes into the ether. I bought my GF ticket on Friday. "I am celebrating the Swans winning the 2003 grand final." Positive, present tense, I can feel the emotion, I am visualising the roar of the crowd and the team arriving at the AM.

Y'all should try it. It can't hurt, and it just might make a difference. Repeat 3 times morning and night and any spare moments you think of it. Live the emotion.

I may be in the twilight zone, but I'm happy there.

GO BRON!!!!!!

I've got goose bumps. and no it's not the cold Sydney weather we have today
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Go Swans Always
    Bron how did you get your GF tickets?
    Love those Swans

We got with some other folk to buy a corporate table at the GF breakfast .... mighty expensive, but at least I know what I'm doing that weekend! As a Redback we get guaranteed seating in the event of the team in the GF, but having done the breakfast before we just wanted to do the mega day .... it's such a blast, regardless of which team is in there, but it will be truly awesome this year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast