Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans reserves to join VFL as a stand alone outfit

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I agree with the idea of the reserves playing in the Queensland comp with the Lions reserves instead of heading to the VFL. It would be much better for the game, and the quality of the competition up there is still high. Although, you'd have to think that the magoos playing in the VFL would be a very nice thing for our Melbourne members!

It would cost the same to fly everyone to Melbourne as it would to fly them to Queensland. Why play Kedron Grange and Coorparoo when you can play Port Melbourne & Coburg for the same cost.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    It would cost the same to fly everyone to Melbourne as it would to fly them to Queensland. Why play Kedron Grange and Coorparoo when you can play Port Melbourne & Coburg for the same cost.

JF
    I think the competition in Queensland is more than decent (admittedly not at the level of the VFL, SANFL or WAFL but still a good testing ground) and it would be better for developing Australian Rules football as a whole (and the Queensland state comp in particular).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    I think the competition in Queensland is more than decent (admittedly not at the level of the VFL, SANFL or WAFL but still a good testing ground) and it would be better for developing Australian Rules football as a whole (and the Queensland state comp in particular).
    But JF lives in Melbourne you @@@@-knuckle

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    But JF lives in Melbourne you @@@@-knuckle
    Beating his own drum no doubt

I'm disappointed JF you haven't challenged knuckle dragging joffa yet. Not much opportunity lately I suppose.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    They did this for a 100 years until some smart bunny thought of a 'better idea".
    Was the original reserves comp your idea?

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Personally I'm not too fussed about me having more footy to watch. I watch the Swans either on TV or in person each week & that is actually enough.I'm enjoying not going to the footy on EVERY week as well. Of course I'd go to Swans VFL games if they were on, but surprise surprise I'm NOT thinking about me here. I just don't see any advantage in playing in a lesser Qld comp when for the same money you could fly em down on Jetstar & have em playing at Willy or Sandy.

I still don't see why it is OUR job to prop up football in Qld. That is the Lions & AFLQ's job. If we wanted to help promote football we'd still have our reggies in the SFL. But we saw what a useful exercise that was.

The development of Aussie Rules & what is best for the Swans are two totally different things these days. We are a $52million company. I feel we can afford to play in a comp like the VFL (or even SANFL).

Personally I think selling a combined AFL/VFL Swans membership may also help develop and generate the Swans membership and Melbourne infrastructure a bit too. The club would be committing more money to things on-field, so they would need to commit to things off it as well. Which could lead to better things for members such as a proper clubhouse/home pub for members to go and watch games at etc etc. A win-win for everyone I feel.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Talk of Swans reserves side in the VFL next year

JUst watching the ABC after the VFL Grand Final and there is talk that Sydney have expressed interest in fielding a VFL team next year most likely on their own. Should no more in the next 2 weeks according to Peter Schwab

Blog Entries
    Dogs have severed ties with Werribee and look like going to Williamstown.

Based on results in the Canberra GF, we would get slaughtered in the VFL.

But we should still move there nonetheless.

I think that having them play in the Queensland comp would provide them with good quality opposition and it would be excellent for the development/spread of the game. We were at the Swans vs. Lions game at the Gabba in 2006 and were extremely impressed with the level of competition, it is much higher than that of the Canberra comp. Apart from that we would get regular games vs. the Brisbane kids, the comp overall is strong; the Lions reserves were knocked out in the first round of the finals for the Queensland state league this year.

If we want to gradually develop a greater comp for the magoos I think that a a North Eastern Australian Football League of some kind would give them better experience (and be better for the game) than a state league, obviously there are huge logistical problems there).
    Agree with this 100%. The only thing that stopped me suggesting this previously is the travel. But if they're willing to travel to Melbourne....I'm unsure if the Queensland teams would have the funds to travel to Sydney though.

The addition of the Roos to this comp will make it much stronger too. Only question is where does this leave the Sydney comp?

Another solution is the development of a new comp in NSW.

North - South - East - and West Sydney. (The Swans Reserves could be Eastern Sydney)

A Newcastle team and a Central Coast team. That's it.

Smaller pool of elite players. Larger catchment area.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

Exactly. Is it be better to be destroyed every week or to be the destroyer? I guess we'll know soon enough.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

You've certainly changed your tune. Last week you were laughing at comments from the Queanbeyan coach that they had a chance of winning.

Just keep in mind that more than the usual number of top-up players were used today.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast